Why so much hate toward AI art?

SenMizeri

Sep 23, 2021
As a consumer I hate Ai art because it's purely a tool for the unskilled and lazy to flood the market with low quality trash.
A good Erotica writer doesn't need Ai art to pull the weight of their writing.
A good Game Dev doesn't need Ai art to make fun gameplay.
If the people pushing for/using Ai art were actually any good at what they did they wouldn't need Ai art to begin with.
You don't need any art to pull it off, but if you don't have the funds, and you want to make more than a text-game, a specific niche because not all of us appreciate text-only, then you've got to use some sort of medium which comes with a set of flaws.

It's not about laziness, it's about not being to either draw to the audience's desire, or pay for a worthwhile artist. It's not easy making a game, full stop. Why do you think so many games on f95 have been abandoned?

Reactions: KarenJimmy

FlemManiac

Apr 17, 2020
You don't need any art to pull it off, but if you don't have the funds, and you want to make more than a text-game, a specific niche because not all of us appreciate text-only, then you've got to use some sort of medium which comes with a set of flaws.

It's not about laziness, it's about not being to either draw to the audience's desire, or pay for a worthwhile artist. It's not easy making a game, full stop. Why do you think so many games on f95 have been abandoned?
Learn to draw yourself or find a way to get the money, if you truly were passionate about your game project and ACTUALLY CARED you would put in the effort.
Or just do what many Game Devs do and collaborate with other Devs, of course that requires that not only your ideas be good enough to attract others, but that you also put in the effort.

"Why do you think so many games on f95 have been abandoned?" Now I can't speak for every dev that abandoned their game on f95zone but from personal experience burn out and lack of reward, (and sometimes infighting) not exactly something Ai art will fix.

SenMizeri

Sep 23, 2021
Learn to draw yourself or find a way to get the money, if you truly were passionate about your game project and ACTUALLY CARED you would put in the effort.
Or just do what many Game Devs do and collaborate with other Devs, of course that requires that not only your ideas be good enough to attract others, but that you also put in the effort.

"Why do you think so many games on f95 have been abandoned?" Now I can't speak for every dev that abandoned their game on f95zone but from personal experience burn out and lack of reward, (and sometimes infighting) not exactly something Ai art will fix.
"Learn to draw yourself" - not everyone has that gift, and it takes years to perfect and master if you do. On top of every other skill a independent game dev has to learn, you're asking for a lot, in order to download a free game you can fap to. That's very condescending of you.

Maybe you should learn to programme, and humble yourself? It's hard work to maintain, same with writing a novel, many novels aren't finished as well.

FlemManiac

Apr 17, 2020
"Learn to draw yourself" - not everyone has that gift, and it takes years to perfect and master if you do. On top of every other skill a independent game dev has to learn, you're asking for a lot, in order to download a free game you can fap to. That's very condescending of you.

Maybe you should learn to programme, and humble yourself? It's hard work to maintain, same with writing a novel, many novels aren't finished as well.
Than don't be an independent game dev either gather a team of like-minded individuals or learn the necessary skills to be a one-man army, if you're not willing to put in the effort for either than I recommend choosing a different hobby/profession other than game-making since clearly this industry is too hard for you.

KoroG90

Mar 26, 2018
The only time I'd ever use A.I art is for bullshitting around with crappy OCs for roleplaying, but then I'd just save money to get a commission of my character. Though I have used it to make some funky weird background pictures purely for my curiosity, but I'd never consider it "Art"

Reactions: Biscardone

SenMizeri

Sep 23, 2021
Than don't be an independent game dev either gather a team of like-minded individuals or learn the necessary skills to be a one-man army, if you're not willing to put in the effort for either than I recommend choosing a different hobby/profession other than game-making since clearly this industry is too hard for you.
The fact you keep making the argument about "Low effort" shows you don't know what you're actually talking about.

I bet you can neither draw, write, or code. You should try learning one of those skills, and see if you can do a good job.... because you're expecting new game devs who are starting out to come out of the oven as experts on all three fronts. Are they also expected to be expert sound engineers, and musicians too?

You have to start somewhere, and this whole "better than thou" attitude reeks of ignorance.

FlemManiac

Apr 17, 2020
The fact you keep making the argument about "Low effort" shows you don't know what you're actually talking about.

I bet you can neither draw, write, or code. You should try learning one of those traits, and see if you can do a good job.... because you're expecting new game devs who are starting out to come out of the oven as experts on all three fronts. Are they also expected to be expert sound engineers, and musicians too?

You have to start somewhere, and this whole "better than thou" attitude reeks of ignorance.
Nice Strawman there bud. Mate I understand that you don't like to read but I have at least alluded to having a game on here, but alright. As a 2D artist and game designer with enough experience for this internet argument.

My advice to brand spanking new game-devs IS... Practice and put in the effort, if you want to make a proper game with a nice cherry on top than I recommend looking for other like-minded devs and don't just be an ideas guy actually have a skill to contribute to the project, yes the best musicians, artists, programmers, usually cost a lot of money but you don't need the best *THING* to make a good game (look at flash games) most people are willing to work for free if the project sounds fun or if they're brand spanking new to the industry such as yourself, just start small and practice.

As for SenMizeri I agree we all start from somewhere and you seem to be DESPERATE for art and since clearly you don't wanna find a team to help you on your game-making endeavors. Pick. Up. A pencil. and start drawing like the rest of us instead of trying to leech off your betters.

SenMizeri

Sep 23, 2021
Nice Strawman there bud. Mate I understand that you don't like to read but I have at least alluded to having a game on here, but alright. As a 2D artist and game designer with enough experience for this internet argument.

My advice to brand spanking new game-devs IS... Practice and put in the effort, if you want to make a proper game with a nice cherry on top than I recommend looking for other like-minded devs and don't just be an ideas guy actually have a skill to contribute to the project, yes the best musicians, artists, programmers, usually cost a lot of money but you don't need the best *THING* to make a good game (look at flash games) most people are willing to work for free if the project sounds fun or if they're brand spanking new to the industry such as yourself, just start small and practice.

As for SenMizeri I agree we all start from somewhere and you seem to be DESPERATE for art and since clearly you don't wanna find a team to help you on your game-making endeavors. Pick. Up. A pencil. and start drawing like the rest of us instead of trying to leech off your betters.
This is like mediocre coders telling novices to "google it lazy" when they ask an innocent question - even though google doesn't provide the answer, because it's linked to these kind of pointless threads of muppets telling others to "google it" (they have googled it that's why they're asking!).

They act like that because they're full of themselves. I found a useful trick to get them to answer the question, and that's give a wrong question purposefully, and viola, they take the minute needed to help novices with advice. Once I started to get better at coding, I found their advice tended to be mediocre, in comparison to their opinion of themselves.

I'm all about helping people, and even if it's the internet, showing some manners and decency. It's a bad attitude you've got, and all it does is dissuade novices from even trying.

Hardest thing about game development, is having the motivation to finish the piece. No need to take a steaming dump on novices by telling them not to bother because they're not expert artists.

FlemManiac

Apr 17, 2020
This is like mediocre coders telling novices to "google it lazy" when they ask an innocent question - even though google doesn't provide the answer, because it's linked to these kind of pointless threads of muppets telling others to "google it" (they have googled it that's why they're asking!).

They act like that because they're full of themselves. I found a useful trick to get them to answer the question, and that's give a wrong question purposefully, and viola, they take the minute needed to help novices with advice. Once I started to get better at coding, I found their advice tended to be mediocre, in comparison to their opinion of themselves.

I'm all about helping people, and even if it's the internet, showing some manners and decency. It's a bad attitude you've got, and all it does is dissuade novices from even trying.

Hardest thing about game development, is having the motivation to finish the piece. No need to take a steaming dump on novices by telling them not to bother because they're not expert artists.
Again what is with this strawmanning? Since when did I call novices lazy? I remember telling you to either find other devs to help you on your project or to learn the necessary skills if you wish to be an independent dev.

I DID SAY that if you were too lazy to do either than you should try a different path since making games IS HARD WORK, something you clearly don't fully understand.

So offended over me calling people who use Ai generated content lazy and dispassionate I wonder why?

Death69inc

Oct 24, 2018

I bet you can neither draw, write, or code. You should try learning one of those skills, and see if you can do a good job.... because you're expecting new game devs who are starting out to come out of the oven as experts on all three fronts. Are they also expected to be expert sound engineers, and musicians too?

someone seems to not be reading the same things I am.....

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
I am not sure in what Industry you think you live in.
The choices for most projects is either Illusion, Daz or stealing some random images off the internet.
Hiring a 2D artist is not even in the equation, and since most use 3D CG, 2d artists are Excluded from any of this projects in the future.

With AI CG it wouldn't be that hard to imagine to release that initially as a placeholder and hire an artist later when the project gets some traction. There is a at least a Possibility, then No Possibility of hiring an artist.
It also separates the asset requirements dependency from the game development so the game can be developed faster by using quick and dirty placeholders, if you waste time waiting for the art you aren't using time in things like code, gameplay and story.

VegitoHlove

Apr 27, 2018
Again what is with this strawmanning? Since when did I call novices lazy? I remember telling you to either find other devs to help you on your project or to learn the necessary skills if you wish to be an independent dev.

I DID SAY that if you were too lazy to do either than you should try a different path since making games IS HARD WORK, something you clearly don't fully understand.

So offended over me calling people who use Ai generated content lazy and dispassionate I wonder why?
I have Cerebral Palsy. Despite trying to practice drawing for YEARS I can't even draw a proper sick figure. My hands are as fucky as AI hands. I can type and code fine. But draw? Forget it.

Oh wait I know, there is this tool... Uhh.... what's it called.... um... AI. Yeah, that's it. But you know what? fuck me for DARING to even THINK about using AI to circumvent my disability. Even if I put all the hard work and effort into story and coding, that not enough. Somehow using AI images automatically invalidates everything and makes one lazy.

Biscardone

May 2, 2020
I'll throw in my two cents. I see AI generated art (any kind: pictures, music, narrative text) as a problem because it breaks one of the fundamental rules of artistic creation: not everyone can do it. It devalues skill and effort. Art has value because it is not a necessity, it's vanity (of the good kind!), and it's not quantitative, it's qualitative. Also, it's born out of context and environment. When you strip all these factors, all you obtain a homogeneous blob.
Also, I know that current AI algorithms are "not good enough" yet. But there is enough incentive to improve them, and I'm sure they will improve. And that's even worse, because being able to generate an infinite number of masterpieces (for an arbitrary definition of one) in a few minutes deprives them of all their uniqueness and value.
I also know that AI algorithms are simply tools to an end: if you use them to create images and you keep them for yourself, good for you. If an artist uses them to improve himself, good for him. But there is no way to draw a line on their use, and ensure a limit on the distribution of the content they generate, so this point is basically moot.

Reactions: PsychicStress

FlemManiac

Apr 17, 2020
I have Cerebral Palsy. Despite trying to practice drawing for YEARS I can't even draw a proper sick figure. My hands are as fucky as AI hands. I can type and code fine. But draw? Forget it.

Oh wait I know, there is this tool... Uhh.... what's it called.... um... AI. Yeah, that's it. But you know what? fuck me for DARING to even THINK about using AI to circumvent my disability. Even if I put all the hard work and effort into story and coding, that not enough. Somehow using AI images automatically invalidates everything and makes one lazy.
You clearly have a love for the arts despite your condition making it incredibly difficult in the traditional forms.

You're such a hard worker becoming a writer and programmer despite your condition I'm sure blender will be a piece of cake for someone as amazing as you. :)

or you could just take the normal route and find someone whose willing to help you on your project LIKE SINCE WHEN DID PEOPLE START THINKING MAKING GAMES SOLO IS A GOOD IDEA? AM I THE INSANE ONE HERE? this isn't the 80s anymore ffs

VegitoHlove

Apr 27, 2018
You clearly have a love for the arts despite your condition making it incredibly difficult in the traditional forms.

You're such a hard worker becoming a writer and programmer despite your condition I'm sure blender will be a piece of cake for someone as amazing as you. :)

or you could just take the normal route and find someone whose willing to help you on your project LIKE SINCE WHEN DID PEOPLE START THINKING MAKING GAMES SOLO IS A GOOD IDEA? AM I THE INSANE ONE HERE? this isn't the 80s anymore ffs
Oh thank you! You're so kind to give me such WONDEFUL complements. My what a nice and understanding person you are! GOLD STAR!!!

I can still make any games I want fucking solo. Not all of them have to be AAA size. LIKE WOW DID YOU KNOW THERE ARE SOOO MANY PEOPLE WHOM MAKE GAMES SOLO, LIKE THAT POPULAR FARMING ONE? STARDEW VALLEY? FUCKIN" AMAZING!!! It's 2023 and now we have AI generators and stuff COOL RIGHT?!

• Haha
Reactions: SenMizeri

FlemManiac

Apr 17, 2020
Oh thank you! You're so kind to give me such WONDEFUL complements. My what a nice and understanding person you are! GOLD STAR!!!

I can still make any games I want fucking solo. Not all of them have to be AAA size. LIKE WOW DID YOU KNOW THERE ARE SOOO MANY PEOPLE WHOM MAKE GAMES SOLO, LIKE THAT POPULAR FARMING ONE? STARDEW VALLEY? FUCKIN" AMAZING!!! It's 2023 and now we have AI generators and stuff COOL RIGHT?!
I'm glad I was able to help! And if you're ever in doubt just remember Eric Aka the Creator of Stardew valley he made the WHOLE GAME by himself amazing isn't it he WORKED to learn how to Code, to Draw, to Write, and Compose. And he didn't even have to rely on Ai generated slop he truly cared and had a passion for game-development unlike so many others.

VegitoHlove

Apr 27, 2018
I'm glad I was able to help! And if you're ever in doubt just remember Eric Aka the Creator of Stardew valley he made the WHOLE GAME by himself amazing isn't it he WORKED to learn how to Code, to Draw, to Write, and Compose. And he didn't even have to rely on Ai generated slop he truly cared and had a passion for game-development unlike so many others.
Guess I'll just get new hands. fuck my undexterous hands. Guess since I am new and have no connections, guess that's it. Game over. I don't deserve to make a game. Not like I could help my birth complications, but that's my fault. Oh well.

(Fuck anyone whom has no other means/method for doing art. Guess I'm fucked. Thanks a lot.

FlemManiac

Apr 17, 2020
Guess I'll just get new hands. fuck my undexterous hands. Guess since I am new and have no connections, guess that's it. Game over. I don't deserve to make a game. Not like I could help my birth complications, but that's my fault. Oh well.

(Fuck anyone whom has no other means/method for doing art. Guess I'm fucked. Thanks a lot.

Again I'm sorry about your condition but it's not stopping you from becoming a blender artist, nor clearly is it stopping you from conversing with a stranger.

The methods are there you just don't care to put in the effort.