2.90 star(s) 31 Votes

Clobbertime

Jan 10, 2021
Would be nice if it can be made to remember that the music was toggled off so I won't have to turn it off every time I start up the game. Another nice touch would be adding the amount of galleons the MC has, maybe to the player stats page.

Reactions: someyoungguy

bluewitchgames

Game Developer
Mar 18, 2023
I don't know if this was asked before but will there be a windowed mode for the game or will it always be full screen
It's coming in new release! Most likely dropping tomorrow

Would be nice if it can be made to remember that the music was toggled off so I won't have to turn it off every time I start up the game. Another nice touch would be adding the amount of galleons the MC has, maybe to the player stats page.
Will look at that

Zatil

Aug 12, 2018
After running around for an hour, still cant find the caterer, nor will Merula talk to me

Zemax

☠︎︎ The real world is where the monsters are ☠︎︎
Modder
Uploader
Donor
Aug 19, 2022
woooow the art is hell great man

pothb

Jan 28, 2018
Thank you! And yeah, I can hear that the controls still need some polishing. If you got the time, please do touch on what you think feels janky still
Honestly, there isn't a whole lot that is easy to pinpoint. I think it's more of a combination of things that cause that feel. Like the third person view is what I usually prefer for games, but the corridors being cramped makes it less than desireable. Camera being auto adjusted due to that, etc. This might be improved if it's first person or an over the shoulder view rather than a farther back camera as you do now.

A second thing that amplifies it, is that a lot of places feel a bit samey. It happens a lot in games, but since a lot of characters wear the same clothes, and the walls are basically universal through out, it's hard to differentiate areas. Like I mentioned, I didn't get too far into the game, so maybe that changes. A quick fix might to have labels to doorways and character names displayed. It'd make things easier to just say or think, it's where Hermione is, or the common room area.

And the last thing I can think of is the size of the place, since it's hard to differentiate, and the area is huge, it just feels like a dull task to run through the area. So I guess speed up movement to lessen that dull feeling, almost a grind.

And a random thought to end it, I have no idea if this helps or not, but maybe make the character controllers/collider smaller. No reason for it, just to make it easier to run through. You'd end up with clipping, but outside of scenes, I doubt anyone would mind.

This is all off the top of my head, I was planning to play a bit more to get a clearer view of the game before replying but I'm feeling lazy about playing it.

Reactions: bluewitchgames

bluewitchgames

Game Developer
Mar 18, 2023
Honestly, there isn't a whole lot that is easy to pinpoint. I think it's more of a combination of things that cause that feel. Like the third person view is what I usually prefer for games, but the corridors being cramped makes it less than desireable. Camera being auto adjusted due to that, etc. This might be improved if it's first person or an over the shoulder view rather than a farther back camera as you do now.

A second thing that amplifies it, is that a lot of places feel a bit samey. It happens a lot in games, but since a lot of characters wear the same clothes, and the walls are basically universal through out, it's hard to differentiate areas. Like I mentioned, I didn't get too far into the game, so maybe that changes. A quick fix might to have labels to doorways and character names displayed. It'd make things easier to just say or think, it's where Hermione is, or the common room area.

And the last thing I can think of is the size of the place, since it's hard to differentiate, and the area is huge, it just feels like a dull task to run through the area. So I guess speed up movement to lessen that dull feeling, almost a grind.

And a random thought to end it, I have no idea if this helps or not, but maybe make the character controllers/collider smaller. No reason for it, just to make it easier to run through. You'd end up with clipping, but outside of scenes, I doubt anyone would mind.

This is all off the top of my head, I was planning to play a bit more to get a clearer view of the game before replying but I'm feeling lazy about playing it.
Appreciate the post! Some decent points in there. I experimented with moving to first person, but it's really not going to work until the models are updated (if it'll work at all given the contrast between art and in game models at close view distances). Castle is also going to get some updates to its visuals and the amount of little, unique things to find around the place relatively soon. It's in the pipeline at least

Should be a better map in the release coming up shortly, but something like that or alerts about which area you just entered is something I will have to look at, yeah

There are now unlockable fast travel locations that should make travelling around the castle a little less demanding, but some unlocks to increase movement speed would be a fun idea, perhaps tied to levelling the vitality stats. Again, ty for pointer

Karnewarrior

Oct 28, 2017
Just be careful with movement speed, since faster speed means more responsive controls, which would just replace one problem with another, possibly even more complicated one. Fast travel will definitely help though, as will the little visual indicators.

One benefit of the big castle will be that once you've hit an appreciable density of crap in the halls and people can know where they are immediately by the atmosphere, you can start adding little shortcuts to other parts of the castle to reward exploration. As it stands they'd only confuse things, but if you can tell immediately that you've gone from Gryffindor Tower to the Dungeons, that'll help make it way more clear when the player accidentally stumbles over a shortcut.

• Red Heart
Reactions: bluewitchgames

bluewitchgames

Game Developer
Mar 18, 2023
Just be careful with movement speed, since faster speed means more responsive controls, which would just replace one problem with another, possibly even more complicated one. Fast travel will definitely help though, as will the little visual indicators.

One benefit of the big castle will be that once you've hit an appreciable density of crap in the halls and people can know where they are immediately by the atmosphere, you can start adding little shortcuts to other parts of the castle to reward exploration. As it stands they'd only confuse things, but if you can tell immediately that you've gone from Gryffindor Tower to the Dungeons, that'll help make it way more clear when the player accidentally stumbles over a shortcut.
I like that point about the density and distinguishable atmospheres. I think to begin with I'll have the game hold the player's hand a bit and implement little alerts each time you enter somewhere new, but I definitely aim to have each area feel unique down the line. Once I've fixed some major bugs (hopefully here tonight) and done a planned week's sprint of just creating new content (using a slightly different approach to how I work), I'll likely dedicate some time to the castle itself, visually and content-wise

Is it good to play?
Edit: should be good now!

Last edited:

Yamemai

Nov 1, 2017
I am going to keep on eye of this.
I love the idea of being a god among mere mortals wizard.
And an accauly school sims instead of go here, say this, fuck scene visual novel?
Hell yeah.

Anyone else find the necks too tall?
Maybe? IIRC, proportion wise, neck should be about half-ish ~ 2/3rds someone's head.

2.90 star(s) 31 Votes