Would you be willing to support a Dev who releases on a Tri-monthy/Bi-monthly schedule instead of Monthly?

Flecc

Donor
Sep 3, 2018
The devs i support at the moment are pretty much running a 2 month release schedule give or take a couple of weeks.I think that is becoming the standard for devs that are putting out quality work.Stretching beyond that i would consider 3 month release schedule if the game was good enough in my mind but probably at a lower pledge than i am currently running with the 2 i am pledging at the moment

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
I totally agree with CarbonBlue here. Personally I find the small changes far more immersive... I actively don't like games with a static image that fail to respond to the dialogue (e.g. it's ridiculous when a character keeps on grinning while telling you off for being rude or glares at you with dead eyes while telling you she wants to suck your cock). For an hour's work and rendering you can add 6 alternate expressions or a few extra body positions to bring it all together. Plus, most devs work/study... even sleep! We can just leave a batch render chugging away while we're not working on the game - allowing for the extra camera-shots that add so much more depth to the piece.

I'll grant that this can go too far - when ICSTOR redid his (non-sexual) intro with about a million extra HD images from multi-angles it seemed crazy (not that it hurt his patreon!) But I think that the growth of this has massively raised the bar of the games on offer! :D
Fair enough, I didnt knew spot rendering was used a lot honestly. I wasnt really talking about the top games with multi month development though; they balance the amount of renders with the amount of story development fairly well.

I was more aiming to some of the newer games, where I feel they go to much on renders with little story progression. If the ambiance doesn't chance, do you really need a new render for every sentence to feel immersed? Even with spot rendering and running it over night/during work, it still adds a lot of time.

I would say games like Being a Dik does it perfectly; uses the same render for 2-3 sentences for most story aspects (unless the atmosphere drastically changes). It doesnt really take the immersion level down a lot (if it does at all), while allowing for steady progression with a fair amount of renders.

I guess what I more meant is that if you start out (without anything released before) I would aim for more like a 4 - 6 weekly update, then start out with monthly updates. Not only does it show you are still working on it (a game update reaches much more people then a 'what i'm working on' post), but it forces you a bit to stream line your progress as well. Not making a render for every sentence, or 10 renders of you walking to the door because you got the time for it, but ending up with a 3 month update that when writing out has a couple minutes of story progression tops.

Reactions: RanliLabz

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
Of course, as long as the updates are quality I'd give them as much time as they need. Some teams are 1 or 2 ppl big and they need a little longer to get things done. No issues :D
Good Guy captain Haddock. Here, have some whisky on the house :3
Loch_Lomond.jpg

I think the consensus is that communication is key, at least from people that commented on this thread. Yet, why does reality feel so different, you may ask? We see "big games" that make lots of sweet patron money even though they don't update regularly or don't even communicate with their supporters anymore. This is mainly due to historical reasons, I think. These games that make real dough were there from a long time, but now, we are being overwhelmed with new devs and new games almost daily.

In this saturated economic context, it's a dev's personality that matters, their capacity to interact with not only their supporters but everyone who plays their game. For my part, I know I discovered adult gaming on F95 less than one year ago, and I wouldn't think at the time that I'll ever pledge for this kind of content. But it was the way I've seen those dev act with their community that finally led me to patron them :) Once more, the release schedule is only a secondary thought.

Most patrons might not feel this way though, after all, only a handful of us bothered to actually reply to your thread, thus not accounting the thousands that will likely pester a creator with that "I pay you, therefore you're my bitch" mentality :/

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
I think the consensus is that communication is key, at least from people that commented on this thread. Yet, why does reality feel so different, you may ask? We see "big games" that make lots of sweet patron money even though they don't update regularly or don't even communicate with their supporters anymore. This is mainly due to historical reasons, I think. These games that make real dough were there from a long time, but now, we are being overwhelmed with new devs and new games almost daily.
Definitely!
The only 'big' ones I support now are Runey and MrDots, but only at $1 for MrDots; the quality is still there, but I only really still back out of habit, I've been a patron there for almost two years. Runey is still at the top of his game, so I support him at a higher level. I used to back quite a few of the big ones, now I just support those that are worth it. I used to back the big ones because I wanted the game straight away, now I'm happy to wait a couple of days until it becomes available on here.
In this saturated economic context, it's a dev's personality that matters, their capacity to interact with not only their supporters but everyone who plays their game. For my part, I know I discovered adult gaming on F95 less than one year ago, and I wouldn't think at the time that I'll ever pledge for this kind of content. But it was the way I've seen those dev act with their community that finally led me to patron them :) Once more, the release schedule is only a secondary thought.
Yes to this too! My current favourite dev has a great personality that comes across in spades. They also have the highest pledge out of all of those that I back on Patreon. (But only just, Runey is a close second). I started backing you on Patreon purely down to how you were and are on here and on Patreon. If I'm being honest, I haven't even opened your game yet; well I tried to open the Andriod version but, you know how that went. ;)
Most patrons might not feel this way though, after all, only a handful of us bothered to actually reply to your thread, thus not accounting the thousands that will likely pester a creator with that "I pay you, therefore you're my bitch" mentality :/
I pay you, therefore, you're my bitch; now dance monkeyboy! :devilish::ROFLMAO:

おい!

Engaged Member
Mar 25, 2018
In this case if a dev posted frequent progress updates, along with a possible additional form of incentive, would you still be willing to support them on a month to month basis even if they were only releasing a game build every two or three months?
Edit: I probably should have clarified that in addition to releasing builds on a two or three month schedule, the releases themselves do have more content, since at this point paying at least 5$ for 10-20 minutes of content each month seems like kind of a ripoff to me.
I personally do not care how often devs update their stuff. I did not join F95 to pay for anything or financially support anyone, I originally joined to pirate stuff on a pirate site. I could not pirate my first download on here without becoming a member first.

If you feel that donating money to a dev for 10-20 minutes of content is a ripoff, don't do it. Keep that 5$ to yourself and you will be a whole 60$ richer in a years time or leave it 10 years and you will have 600$.
73aad4e64e06312f64a5f02e5e80e816_MJZ409.gif

Niteowl

Game Developer
Apr 6, 2018
I currently support two devs and they usually do not release monthly so sure, it's not really an issue, as long as the devs release fairly regularly and add real content.....(and of course produce games I enjoy- hence my supprot of Pinkteagames and Runey, maybe more are deserving but my finances and my passion for these kinds of games are limited).

Having said that, I thoroughly dislike the ripoff artists that are just blatantly trying their best to get paid to do nothing (and the suckers who do support them). I'm also not really fond of the ones that add a ton of dumb dialogues and no sex scenes...... It's bad for the whole field and makes me (and others too I"m sure) less eager to support new devs I don't know well...... I really wish people were a lot smarter about this. The only way to rid patreon of scammers is to cut off their supply of easy money.

Aside from that...I'm considering becoming a developer in the future. Lots of interesting points in this thread. One thing I'm taking from all this is that as I plan the type of game and story I also need to make sure I will eventually have a reliable process in place to be able to add content on a regular basis. Lots of food for thought here.

Buddawg

Aug 12, 2017
You got patreon wrong, it is not a shop, you are not paying for a product.

You are just gifting money to a developer to improve the game you like, a donation, basically.

Patreon allows you to give something back to the people who donate, be it an early release or a shirt or anything else but it is not a shop.
That doesnt remove that money has a value. I dont have a problem with donations, I have a problem with paying way too much for a product that comparatively to what you will get for the same amount anywhere else, doesnt match up. So I dont touch it. Thus monthly donations without a fixed schedule so you know what youre in for, is a clear no go.

On top of that, its the worst possible way to pay someone... the longer they can prolong the process, the more they get paid, and we still dont get more than "ordered" Its like telling a company, we want this bridge build, youll get paid as long as you are building on it. No restrictions, its entirely up to your morals and ethics. ... Yeah thats gonna get abused, every single time. Call it monthly "donations" all you want, its still the same principle.

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
That doesnt remove that money has a value. I dont have a problem with donations, I have a problem with paying way too much for a product that comparatively to what you will get for the same amount anywhere else, doesnt match up. So I dont touch it. Thus monthly donations without a fixed schedule so you know what youre in for, is a clear no go.

On top of that, its the worst possible way to pay someone... the longer they can prolong the process, the more they get paid, and we still dont get more than "ordered" Its like telling a company, we want this bridge build, youll get paid as long as you are building on it. No restrictions, its entirely up to your morals and ethics. ... Yeah thats gonna get abused, every single time. Call it monthly "donations" all you want, its still the same principle.
You aren't paying for a product! You are helping someone achieve their dream!