Ninoss

Donor
Game Developer
Nov 20, 2017
True.
But a more general rule is that you don't want to create spaghetti code with conditional jumps in and out all over the place.
The more your 'fake' and 'real' exams diverge the more spaghettified it becomes and the more of a maintenance/update nightmare. You're already on the road from 'reuse' to 'rewrite'. Have you counted how many times you have to check the 'fakeExam' status from within the exam code?

Elegance is nice, but maintainability is better. Otherwise you eventually get bogged down in patch over patch over patch ... and it becomes increasingly time-consuming to upgrade.

You can trust me on this. I spent 20 years as a contractor troubleshooting other peoples' code. And by the time you go away for a few months then come back it's "someone else's" code.
Meh we just don't have the same opinion / method on the subject I guess.

I've forgot to CTRL+F bc of time constrait and too many features being added at the same time but knew what the (non critical) issue was in a split second. And using some globals as 'jump backs' or modifiers is already done in the event system and works flawlessly.
In all fairness, I just didn't checked it at all. If what it costs me is to do 1 CTRL+F when I want to re-use the exam system in a complete different context, I'm all-in on that solution!

I think you missunderstood something about the 'fakeExam' var. 'fakeExam' IS designed to be check during exams, that's the entire purpose of that var :unsure:
I can agree that the code from game\scripts\lb_examevents.rpy is not really satisfying as I didn't had any time to re-design it from Examination Day, but I don't see any obvious redability issues except all the examEvent labels stacked up but you need to put them somewhere at some point ><

I don't think making endless parrallel versions of the same thing to address special cases makes anything less time-consuming or less spaghettified. As I'm planning to update some UI and logic of the exam system, that would mean going over all the variations to apply changes.. What an error nest nightmare, that's not what I call maintainability, I'm not up for that ^^

May 23, 2023
I think you missunderstood something about the 'fakeExam' var. 'fakeExam' IS designed to be check during exams, that's the entire purpose of that var
Yeah, but it's already a patch.

The problem is 'exam' and 'fake exam' aren't variations of the same logic path. They're two interpenetrating paths that you have to repeatedly resort to variations of 'fakeExam' to try to keep untangled. The more you develop them the more they'll tangle and the more you'll have to add 'fakeExam' checks to patch the resultant bugs.

If you want to be as parsimonious with code as possible and still have something maintainable and upgradeable what you should do is this (assuming you've still got your head around the exam/fake exam code).

1. Go through the entire exam logic path identifying the bits that operate in exactly the same way whether or not the exam is fake.

2. Think about whether they might have divergent development streams in future (e.g. does it make sense for a student to comply with Academy dress regulations in her own bedroom? for a fake exam to continue late into the night with a hostile mother in the house? can a student really graduate from her own bedroom?).

3. If you're pretty sure they're the same and will stay that way, hive them off into separate modules. Functions when possible, subroutines and screens when necessary.

4. Once you've gutted the exam/fake exam code of what both logic paths really have in common, use what's left as a basis for two separate top level control flows, one 'exam' one 'fake exam', both using the modules they have in common. If you do it right 'fakeExam' will be completely redundant and you won't end up writing as much new code trying to keep them untangled as you'd reuse old code by combining them. Use calls to your modules as much as possible with jumps only as a last resort. What you definitely don't want is to have global 'fakeExam' invading class level functions like attemptAnswer(). Have the control flows call it separately then use returned values to decide at the control level whether a girl passed or whether to increment the .examFlewWeek counter.

You'll end up with something easier to maintain, easier to develop and ultimately more elegant and concise than the pasta disaster you seem to be heading for. What's more you'll have a library of stand-alone exam modules you can use if you later decide to use an 'exam-like' scenario somewhere else in the game. And the extra work you do now will save you a lot more work later.

Last edited:

Revo

Jun 18, 2017
There is already a system for that, if the PhotoClub is not there and a photo request is generated, it rerolls it once to reduce the overall 'photo' request. I don't know if entirely disabling it is a good idea as it's the main purpose of sponsor and not being able to fullfill one the the request push the player into doing stuff to get the PhotoClub asap.
that's weird, I was able to get photo request before I activated the phot club, I'm not asking to disable it, but try to connect the "event" to photo club

Jun 26, 2017
WE NEED SOME MODS BUT PLEASE DONT USE GOFILE OR PIXELDRAIN BOTH HAVE OFFLINE PROBLEMS IN SOME COUNTRIES I TRIED EVERY THING BUT ALL LINKS ARE NOT WORKING

Reactions: rickbrook

Ninoss

Donor
Game Developer
Nov 20, 2017
that's weird, I was able to get photo request before I activated the phot club, I'm not asking to disable it, but try to connect the "event" to photo club
It reduces the likelyness to have photo contract before having the photo club, does not entirely negates it as I was saying.

Sonico

Forum Fanatic
Jul 21, 2018
It reduces the likelyness to have photo contract before having the photo club, does not entirely negates it as I was saying.
Changing subjects a little, do you have plans to add more actions to the PTA meetings? Because it feels like losing the whole day for just 2 actions at present is a little too much, no one wants something to lose their Saturdays like that. ;)

Ninoss

Donor
Game Developer
Nov 20, 2017
Changing subjects a little, do you have plans to add more actions to the PTA meetings? Because it feels like losing the whole day for just 2 actions at present is a little too much, no one wants something to lose their Saturdays like that. ;)
PTA is still being updated for 0.3

huss22

Apr 29, 2018
It might sound stupid, but i couldn't download anything from mods link. Just tried to found an attached link or sth around the excel file, but nothing worked for me. I'd appreciate any help.

Reactions: GamerDaddy

GamerDaddy

Feb 6, 2023
It might sound stupid, but i couldn't download anything from mods link. Just tried to found an attached link or sth around the excel file, but nothing worked for me. I'd appreciate any help.
in the 4th or 5th column says gofile link

• Love
Reactions: huss22

Moz69

Nov 20, 2017
That seems like a random question but did you go in the 'Test Lab : DEBUG' (on the pc) enabled by the debug option ?
yeah i did that but just looking what it is... debug was just for looking how the stats change.

PS: can you tell me how to rise the favor of the mothers ... i can only rise the other two

Last edited:

Freesocer

Jun 4, 2019
Does stripping the girls not raise their naturism anymore? I seem to have a very hard time raising that stat.
I tried looking for the actions and what they do to the girls in the scripts but i can't find them.

Kevin Smarts

Respected User
Game Developer
Jul 21, 2017
I find that if the Mum doesn't want you to visit for either of the available reasons that you can't ever unlock this option and they are always locked out. This make it hard to get their support and impossible to unlock the more extreme options. Am I missing something or do I simply need to write them off and let their girls graduate so I can replace them with hopefully less annoying mums?
Would be nice if there was a way to overcome this, I mean if a girl has 9 rule breaks and I can't go around to discuss it or use these to corrupt her Mum it feels like a broken mechanic.

Echox2

Oct 6, 2017
I find that if the Mum doesn't want you to visit for either of the available reasons that you can't ever unlock this option and they are always locked out. This make it hard to get their support and impossible to unlock the more extreme options. Am I missing something or do I simply need to write them off and let their girls graduate so I can replace them with hopefully less annoying mums?
Would be nice if there was a way to overcome this, I mean if a girl has 9 rule breaks and I can't go around to discuss it or use these to corrupt her Mum it feels like a broken mechanic.
The "I want to talk" option checks if the MOTHER really likes you. The "I need to talk to your daughter" option checks if the DAUGHTER likes you. Get the daughter to like you more, and she will tell her mom to let you come over. Then while you are visiting, talk to mom and forgive the punishments. Mom will usually like you enough to accept the next time. Or corrupt her to over halfway, then mom will let you in herself.

Reactions: Kevin Smarts

Ninoss

Donor
Game Developer
Nov 20, 2017
Does stripping the girls not raise their naturism anymore? I seem to have a very hard time raising that stat.
I tried looking for the actions and what they do to the girls in the scripts but i can't find them.
Try photoshoots for that, they have a bigger impact on naturism

Ninoss

Donor
Game Developer
Nov 20, 2017
A bypass if many rule breaks will exist in the next version :giggle:

4.10 star(s) 19 Votes