VN Ren'Py Zia [v0.4] [Studio Zia]

4.60 star(s) 5 Votes
Oct 31, 2017
> "(After the one, non-skippable hetero scene in 0.1)" You will also have the flexibility to stick to "only male partners" or "only female partners" in all future updates."

Alright, I'm gonna say it: I don't want to be disrespectful to someone's work, but why. Why even bother to allow the player to stick to a preference if their preference is thrown out the door immediately?

Reactions: Orphanus

Brannon

Nov 2, 2017
> "(After the one, non-skippable hetero scene in 0.1)" You will also have the flexibility to stick to "only male partners" or "only female partners" in all future updates."

Alright, I'm gonna say it: I don't want to be disrespectful to someone's work, but why. Why even bother to allow the player to stick to a preference if their preference is thrown out the door immediately?
You either misunderstood, never played the game or both.

There is a hetero scene at the very beginning of the game where zia ALMOST has sex.
That scene is the only forced sex scene in the game.
AFTER THAT zia is able to choose her sex partner.

Oct 31, 2017
You either misunderstood, never played the game or both.

There is a hetero scene at the very beginning of the game where zia ALMOST has sex.
That scene is the only forced sex scene in the game.
AFTER THAT zia is able to choose her sex partner.
...Yes, that is exactly the one I'm talking about. In that scene, Zia is shown in a consensual, heterosexual, sexual encounter. While penetration does not take place, it immediately alienates the player's ability to enforce their own preferences within the first few minutes of the game. I'm wondering why then, out of a genuine curiosity for the developer's line of thinking, that "You will also have the flexibility to stick to "only male partners" or "only female partners" in all future updates." is a feature both present and advertised when it is effectively nullified at the beginning.

Reactions: NebulousShooter

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
...Yes, that is exactly the one I'm talking about. In that scene, Zia is shown in a consensual, heterosexual, sexual encounter. While penetration does not take place, it immediately alienates the player's ability to enforce their own preferences within the first few minutes of the game. I'm wondering why then, out of a genuine curiosity for the developer's line of thinking, that "You will also have the flexibility to stick to "only male partners" or "only female partners" in all future updates." is a feature both present and advertised when it is effectively nullified at the beginning.
Perhaps you seem to be glossing over the "all future updates" part......

Oct 31, 2017
Perhaps you seem to be glossing over the "all future updates" part......
I did see that.

My interpretation was based on what it says, "(After the one, non-skippable hetero scene in 0.1) You will also have the flexibility to stick to "only male partners" or "only female partners" in all future updates.". This is 0.3, and so if the intent was to revise this opening following 0.1 where this appears to have been written, I would think it would be in here. It also states that flexibility occurs following the hetero scene, so the conclusion I would reach is that this one scene is mandatory, but all sexual encounters following this provided in future updates would be optional.

Brannon

Nov 2, 2017
I did see that.

My interpretation was based on what it says, "(After the one, non-skippable hetero scene in 0.1) You will also have the flexibility to stick to "only male partners" or "only female partners" in all future updates.". This is 0.3, and so if the intent was to revise this opening following 0.1 where this appears to have been written, I would think it would be in here. It also states that flexibility occurs following the hetero scene, so the conclusion I would reach is that this one scene is mandatory, but all sexual encounters following this provided in future updates would be optional.
Ever so slightly wrong.

The game starts with an ALMOST hetero sex scene.
None of the prospective sex partners has even taken their underwear off.
That is more or less the introductory to the story.

AFTER THAT legitimate sex scenes only happens if Zia and by extension the player WANTS to have sex with him/her.

At absolutely no point was the talk about a revision.

Did you honestly expect a popup with the question whether zia is hetero or lesbian and to change the very first partner accordingly?

Reactions: myZone and sava75
Oct 31, 2017
Ever so slightly wrong.

The game starts with an ALMOST hetero sex scene.
None of the prospective sex partners has even taken their underwear off.
That is more or less the introductory to the story.

AFTER THAT legitimate sex scenes only happens if Zia and by extension the player WANTS to have sex with him/her.

At absolutely no point was the talk about a revision.
Yes, I am aware there was no talk about a revision. The response I received from Avaron made me believe they were under the impression that "all future updates" meant that in future updates all sexual encounters, including the first, would become optional, which based on my interpretation of the OP's mention of the subject is not the case, just that all encounters past that first hetero encounter would be optional.

To clarify, my interpretation is that the opening of the game with its hetero encounter is and is intended to always be mandatory, but that following scenes will be up to the player.

Consider for a moment that you intend to go in having sexual relations with only females. The game begins with Zia having a consensual encounter with a male. While they don't have sex, what this does is sets Zia's sexual orientation in regards to her character. The developer states not that sexual relations with characters will be optional, but " 'only male partners' or 'only female partners' ", which suggests the intent for the player to define their sexual preferences. However, Zia has been defined, and if the player's intent differs, then placing emphasis on the player's ability to choose what gender they pursue has been largely voided. Regardless of your decision to play her with a focus on females, it becomes a simple fact within the realm of the story that she is into men.

If that is what the developer wants, then that's fine, I simply won't play the game because that's not the character I want to play - my question is why the developer has chosen to do this, as it separates the character's intents from the player's intents. It's a very odd choice, so I would like to know.

Last edited:

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
I did see that.

Why would the dev force a mandatory hetero scene on players that are only interested in lesbian content?

That's how you lose players.

I certainly don't want to see it.

Brannon

Nov 2, 2017
Yes, I am aware there was no talk about a revision. The response I received from Avaron made me believe they were under the impression that "all future updates" meant that in future updates all sexual encounters, including the first, would become optional, which based on my interpretation of the OP's mention of the subject is not the case, just that all encounters past that first hetero encounter would be optional.

To clarify, my interpretation is that the opening of the game with its hetero encounter is and is intended to always be mandatory, but that following scenes will be up to the player.

Consider for a moment that you intend to go in having sexual relations with only females. The game begins with Zia having a consensual encounter with a male. While they don't have sex, what this does is sets Zia's sexual orientation in regards to her character. The developer states not that sexual relations with characters will be optional, but " 'only male partners' or 'only female partners' ", which suggests the intent for the player to define their sexual preferences. However, Zia has been defined, and if the player's intent differs, then placing emphasis on the player's ability to choose what gender they pursue has been largely voided. Regardless of your decision to play her with a focus on females, it becomes a simple fact within the realm of the story that she is into men.

If that is what the developer wants, then that's fine, I simply won't play the game because that's not the character I want to play - my question is why the developer has chosen to do this, as it separates the character's intents from the player's intents. It's a very odd choice, so I would like to know.
That mandatory almost-encounter leads to zia questioning her sexuality.
The decision whether she continues her life from this point on as a dick- or a muff muncher.

Quite literally this decision is AFTER this encounter. Not before.

If you want to have this discussion feel free to contact whichever god you believe in.
The "default state" of a female creature is that she is set to like/love male creatures of the same species.

Why would the dev force a mandatory hetero scene on players that are only interested in lesbian content?

Since this forced hetero scene does not advance further than zia and the partner-for-the-night removing their outermost layer of clothing and a bit of kissing it does not really count.
I'd recon you kissed boys as a small girl before you noticed that it felt wrong to you and you like girls more. For zia it "only" happened quite a while after.

If you don't want to see a dick in the game you don't have to. There is one not visible behind his clothes in that forced scene which you know it is there and that's the main reason for your ... denial.
Hell after this first scene you don't even need to see a bare male chest.

You have the possibility to start the game proper as lesbian, hetero, asexual (don't ever!) or pansexual (everything and everyone!).
Your choice.
Aside from this first encounter that did not advance in any form nothing is forced on you.

• Angry
Reactions: MAD6999 and Udayana
Oct 31, 2017

That's exactly what my reaction was, which is why I was so confused by the emphasis on being able to choose the gender you pursue when they include a mandatory heterosexual making out, partial undressing, and feeling-up scene in the beginning.
That mandatory almost-encounter leads to zia questioning her sexuality.
While that is fine in the context of telling a story, if you are emphasizing the player's ability to choose their pursuit of a gender, then there are far more player-friendly ways of introducing the dilemma. It can be something as simple as her declining his advances or realizing she wasn't interested during dinner. The two are at odds, which is where I'm left confused as to the developer's decision.
If you want to have this discussion feel free to contact whichever god you believe in.
The "default state" of a female creature is that she is set to love male creatures of the same species.
Oh...I understand now, it's not that you actually see anything wrong with the question I'm asking, it's that you're a dick...Fair enough. Have a good night.

Reactions: NebulousShooter

Brannon

Nov 2, 2017
While that is fine in the context of telling a story, if you are emphasizing the player's ability to choose their pursuit of a gender, then there are far more player-friendly ways of introducing the dilemma. It can be something as simple as her declining his advances or realizing she wasn't interested during dinner. The two are at odds, which is where I'm left confused as to the developer's decision.
That they were "at odds" is the very reason why she is questioning her sexuality.
That encounter is the starting point of the game.
A sort of prologue to the story.
At that point in the prologue you can't control zias actions and her sexuality is not your decision yet.

Basically everything from starting a new game until zia kills the goblin/dwarf/whatever is what happens BEFORE the game actually starts.

But you are obviously in arguing mode and not willing and/or able to realize that.

You want to argue that zia is not a lesbian because she once was shown making out with a man and that cements her status as "forever cocksleeve".
Newsflash.
That is not the case and you can argue as hard as you want, it won't be.

Because following that logic there is no lesbian in the world. Since every lesbian at one point while growing up was at least passingly interested in men.
Most pretended in school to be interested in boys to "fit in with her clique" and to avoid being labeled "outcast freak".

Oh...I understand now, it's not that you actually see anything wrong with the question I'm asking, it's that you're a dick...Fair enough. Have a good night.
You asked a question, repeatedly citing various "sources" that such a behavior is unreasonable.
I gave you an answer.

And for that I'm a dick?

Olivia_V

Jun 5, 2017
I'm wondering why then, out of a genuine curiosity for the developer's line of thinking, that "You will also have the flexibility to stick to "only male partners" or "only female partners" in all future updates." is a feature both present and advertised when it is effectively nullified at the beginning.
I think it's as simple as the dev not giving you a total blank slate of a character to start with. It's a character with history, that has already made some choices and already has a personality before agency is given over to you. It's an understandable creative decision. What this character becomes is now up to the player, whether she has an awakening and converts or walks down the same path.

Reactions: znerun and Brannon
Jun 6, 2022
That they were "at odds" is the very reason why she is questioning her sexuality.
That encounter is the starting point of the game.
A sort of prologue to the story.
At that point in the prologue you can't control zias actions and her sexuality is not your decision yet.

Basically everything from starting a new game until zia kills the goblin/dwarf/whatever is what happens BEFORE the game actually starts.

But you are obviously in arguing mode and not willing and/or able to realize that.

You want to argue that zia is not a lesbian because she once was shown making out with a man and that cements her status as "forever cocksleeve".
Newsflash.
That is not the case and you can argue as hard as you want, it won't be.

Because following that logic there is no lesbian in the world. Since every lesbian at one point while growing up was at least passingly interested in men.
Most pretended in school to be interested in boys to "fit in with her clique" and to avoid being labeled "outcast freak".

You asked a question, repeatedly citing various "sources" that such a behavior is unreasonable.
I gave you an answer.

And for that I'm a dick?
considering that dev stated that she is bisexual regardless of the route, you can't play with her as a lesbian, I'm not saying that's a bad thing depends on how the dev develops it, but there are just people who prefer something else.

and no lesbians have never in their lives been interested in men, that is what differentiates them from bi, and if they have kissed them it is because of social pressure not because of "passingly interested".

and believe it or not there are lesbians who have never even kissed a man.

maybe because of this thing you put is that they told you that you are a dick.

Brannon

Nov 2, 2017
considering that dev stated that she is bisexual regardless of the route, you can't play with her as a lesbian, I'm not saying that's a bad thing depends on how the dev develops it, but there are just people who prefer something else.

and no lesbians have never in their lives been interested in men, that is what differentiates them from bi, and if they have kissed them it is because of social pressure not because of "passingly interested".

and believe it or not there are lesbians who have never even kissed a man.

maybe because of this thing you put is that they told you that you are a dick.
Hmm ...
Girls that are not interested in boys are forced by peer pressure to pretend to like them even if they don't?
Interesting thought.

And now read again what you were quoting.

And btw. please look up what "passingly interested" actually means.
You know what? I'll just tell you.
It is a synonyme for "not really, just a tiny bit".
It is not limited to only sexual interest mind you. Meaning "Dad" also counts.

NebulousShooter

Engaged Member
Donor
Oct 24, 2018
I think it's as simple as the dev not giving you a total blank slate of a character to start with. It's a character with history, that has already made some choices and already has a personality before agency is given over to you. It's an understandable creative decision. What this character becomes is now up to the player, whether she has an awakening and converts or walks down the same path.
Be that as it may that is still the reason that I haven't played the game. I've been following since 0.1, I am starving for a FMC lesbian romance game, but I am beyond over default hetero relationships as backstory and forced scenes 'that are important for the plot'. Spoiler alert, they never fucking are, for any writer worth their salt there are thousand ways to insert dilemmas and traumas than mandatory hetero lewd scenes, cheating and rape...The FMC genre is plagued by it, its literally the least imaginative genre around.

Also, I remember players complaining about Zia's inner thoughts implying her attraction to males(?) in earlier versions, if that was not reworked that pretty much locks her in best case scenario as bisexual and not what the player wants her to be after she discovers herself, as someone earlier implied. 'Lesbian' Zia salivating after dicks is not exactly a fun experience for someone looking for a Lesbian Romance Story.

By the amount of people that dislike that decision its honestly baffling why keep it in, its basically just ego and stubbornness to admit that a scene missed the mark with the audience. Spare me the 'their vision' platitudes, there is a reason all best sellers have an editor, some times multiple editors, to filter out their vision.

Bob69

Uploading the World
Uploader
Donor
Mar 2, 2019
Zia [v0.4] [Studio Zia] - Compressed

Use at your own risk.

Win/Linux [64 MB]
- - -

Mac [58 MB]
- - -

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

4.60 star(s) 5 Votes