VN Ren'Py Zia [v0.5] [Studio Zia]

4.10 star(s) 7 Votes

The Rogue Trader

Sep 12, 2021
Hint: "ZIA" in venetian dialect means "pussy".
In Italian "zia" means "aunt" ("sia" in venetian dialect IIRC) but it's been also used by youths to mean "older woman". With "older" starting around the 30s or even earlier.
"Bella, zia" (Good one, Aunt) is a famous and often parodied slang catchphrase.

Anyway, I sense that a great game is going to blossom here: Arisushi never disappoints and the artist is great. I just hope this won't cut too much time from the adventures of our favourite princess...

KarokaKOHORT

Jun 16, 2018
Question: are we to expect character defining choices, are will we be limited to picking romantic routes only? Asking, since current version played as a kinetic novel.

JohnF95zone

Engaged Member
Oct 31, 2017
I've played the game and below is my initial feedbacks or review (for v0.1):

It is short, more like a demo or a Prologue, but the game already begun at Chapter One :unsure: .
Renders are pretty good, although not the best, but they can be improved as the game progressed.
There are musics and sound effects(y).
Writing is very well-done, which I believe is on-par with native English speaker standard, albeit there are a few typos (minor).
Story has huge mystery around it, another(y).
Considering this game will have a heterosexual vs lesbian female MC route, it needs a bit tweaking in the writing because currently the female MC comes off as being a heterosexual (overwhelmingly) or bisexual (through deduction), but nothing to suggest that she is a lesbian. Okay, I might not be correct there because I am neither a lesbian nor a woman:ROFLMAO: but it is just not compute with my brain how the female MC is a lesbian.
  • I guess, the writer could make her starts off as bisexual, which players later can choose hetero or lesbian (also why not just continue to be bisexual:unsure:)? Or, Zia starts off heterosexual which players can choose later to turn lesbian (because men are pigs or whatever:p) or stay that way.
  • However, if the writer want to restrict to only hetero or only lesbian, then some minor changes to the writing for example, Zia said she is looking for a right guy, replace that to right person or partner (which is gender neutral I think). Later, for those in hetero route, Nick (the throwaway guy) is a real man, but for the only lesbian route, Nick is a trans man, an Elliot Page, which still makes her a lesbian (I think), so the lesbian only route can work?

LOL, writing is difficult but I believe that Arisushi can pull it off, whichever the best approach is or are(y).

Personally, I just play all the routes, and I don't have any strong preferences on one or the other. So, all the best. Cheers.

Reactions: battali0n

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020
Question: are we to expect character defining choices, are will we be limited to picking romantic routes only? Asking, since current version played as a kinetic novel.
There WILL be moments were the player will make choices that change the trajectory of the story itself. (i.e. It won't just be limited to choosing the romantic partner)

Although, in order to avoid overreaching (by making too many branches too soon), we'll be sticking to just one or two "key" choices per update (at least for the next 2 or 3 updates.)

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020
Don't really know whether or not I should count the partial lifting of her shirt with her belly button visible as hetero scene ...
As possible intention without player choice yes.
As hetero scene ... not really.
Honestly, this was EXACTLY my thought when I stated that "players can choose a lesbian-only route".

Nick's whole role in 0.1 was a joke that was not meant to be taken seriously at all. But I guess there was still too much room for other interpretations.

Well, no use crying over spilt milk. All I can do now is move forward and make sure I don't cause any other confusion in the future :)

Reactions: The Rogue Trader

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Thank you very much for trusting in my work and the kind words of support. I'll do my best to deliver an engaging playthrough in the rest of the game. ( And market it better this time :) )

---

As for the sexual orientation confusion, like I've explained in some of my previous replies, my intention was not to say Zia is a lesbian in one route and straight in another.

I was simply using the tag defined by f95. (i.e. Lesbian - Female character having sex with another female).

So, I'll use this opportunity to make one last (and hopefully clear) statement about it.

For all intents and purposes, Zia will be a bisexual in this game. And (after kicking out Nick) players will have the flexibility to only stick to male partners or female partners in the game.

And no matter what relationship Zia is in, I'll do my best to make sure it feels natural (and does not come off as a cheap gimmick.)

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020

Thank you very much for the feedback and the positive review :)

Really glad to hear you liked the transitions too. We'll do our best to deliver a consistently fun and engaging experience with the future updates as well.

--

Also,

1. I'll definitely pay more attention to the music from 0.2. (To be honest, I'm still learning the ropes with the use and placement of multiple BGM. But I'm sure I can improve upon it as time progresses.)

2. Lastly, I will NOT BE COMPROMISING on my vision for the game at any point. Sarnko (the artist) and I have put in way too much effort into making this game to do that.

So, no scenes will be removed or altered from 0.1. (or any future updates) just to cater to a specific set of audience. The story will always come first.

Of course, I wish I hadn't used the word "lesbian-only" - which seems to have caused a lot of confusion (and some disappointment), but there's no use in beating myself up over what's done.

For what it's worth I've rephrased the statement as best as I can. Now, I'll just have to move forward.

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020

Anyway, I sense that a great game is going to blossom here: Arisushi never disappoints and the artist is great. I just hope this won't cut too much time from the adventures of our favourite princess...
Thank you for the kind words :)

(Also, I guarantee the adventures of our wonderful princess will NOT be affected in any way by this project (y))

• Red Heart
Reactions: The Rogue Trader

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020
Hi dev will you be doing animated sex scenes for this game just wondering because I didn't see the tag so I thought I should ask.
As of now, there are no plans to have animated scenes.

The (meticulously crafted) renders by themselves take a considerable amount time & effort on the artist's end. So, animation is not a priority for the foreseeable future. Sorry.

Reactions: bacienvu88

Kind Nightmares

Instinct Unleashed developer
Game Developer
Oct 1, 2019
Zia may make some questionable decisions once in a blue moon
Well, she clearly has questionable taste in men, after that 'brother liking' thing she still invited him home and didn't ditch him right there. Come on, It wasn't even a little funny. :HideThePain:

Plot seems interesting enough and I hope that Zia will be able to Avada Kedavra anyone she don't like later in ther game.

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020
Greetings,

This is Arisushi, the writer of Zia.

Here to share some essential info and answer some possible questions you may have regarding the game and its development.

---

1. The Release Schedule:

Right now, we plan to have a new update released once every two months. Each update being roughly around the same length as (or slightly longer than) 0.1.

We feel that's a good soft spot between "taking the necessary time for good art" and "making sure we do not fall off the radar of our audience."

---

2. The Scope of the Project:

Season One of Zia would be around 8-9 updates long (telling a complete, self-contained story).

If the 1st season is financially successful enough, we'll extend it to two more seasons. (Each around 10-12 updates long.)

---

3. The Tone of the Project:

At its core, Zia will be a character study.

Sure, there will be the usual moments of fun and thrills of a modern fantasy in it. But getting into the mind of our lead and understanding her will be the best part of this game. (At least, in my humble opinion.)

Zia will also explore quite some dark themes in its run. But none of it will be in an edgy way.

In fact, the way those themes are going to be dealt with, will almost feel a little meditative.

HOWEVER, all that does NOT mean that Zia is going to be a series full of gloom and doom. Like I said earlier, there will be plenty of moments with lighthearted fun.

---

4. The Romance:

(If you have followed the early character reveal posts on our patreon page, you may already know that:)

Our primary goal is not only to ensure that these romantic partners actually feel quite different from one another.... BUT ALSO, to make sure the said characters are an integral part of "the big story".

---

5. (If you can afford to, then) Please Support!

I do not wish to dump any emotionally charged sermons on our audience.

Just know that every single penny we recieve, goes a long way in making our life easier.

And if you can't afford to do so, (no one would understand it more than me), please just consider posting your review for the game here.

---

Thank you for checking out Zia and reading through that long post. Hope you have a great day ahead :)

josemaloco

Sep 26, 2020
I ain't played yet but this seems to be my shit.

MC looks human unlike some other games that sit in a weird uncanny valley threshold where they smile kinda like this

I know face rigging is hard so I'm not blaming them... but it still looks like crap.

PyoT

Sep 3, 2020
The production quality seems to be pretty high, so that's a definitive plus, but with this sort of game I guess I'm more interested in whether it's something that in some way manages to catch my attention - and in that way I feel this first release didn't quite manage that.

The setup of having a state magician also being a real magician feels familiar in a positive way, but it's sorta very nebulous on where it all goes, to the point where it's at least for me sorta impossible to tell whether I should be interested or not. I do hope that the story going forward doesn't just bank on "well, let's not explain things, then it will be all mysterious!" Obviously, it's fine starting with some of that, but for me a story needs to move on from that fairly quickly, at least to the point where I want to know the rest then.

And the other thing ... well, skimming the thread; you are probably already tired hearing about this specific aspect ... but, Jesus F. Christ, that forced "date" was unbearable. Everything I despise about romance writing rolled into one unavoidable story bit. And it just feels so much worse when "you" have to play it then when just reading it in a book/watching a TV series.
So hopefully the actual romances won't feature as obnoxious characters you inevitably have to go along with because you just have to ^^

That is all. Good luck with the project.

battali0n

Oct 30, 2021
Sorry to say this but I quit because the date. It wouldn't have even bothered me if she had left him at that point but that she went back to her place with him and seemed to be enjoying it was repulsive to me. If I am playing the character I never want to be forced into dating someone I am not interested in. If you are going to allow her to have either a hetero or lesbian path you shouldn't poison it by forcing us to deal with this date nor her expressing an interest in either sex without us dictating which one it will be. We should have been given a choice from the very beginning. There is no way that I can be convinced that it was needed for the story. You seem to have decided that you are going to keep it this way despite overwhelming disapproval. I can respect that it is your story and you have the right to tell it as you wish but please keep in mind that the MC is our avatar and we need to have empathy for her in order to enjoy it. I don't like her because of this scene and that is why I will have to pass on your game. I wish you success but it is not for me as it currently is.

bacienvu88

Aug 3, 2021
Sorry to say this but I quit because the date. It wouldn't have even bothered me if she had left him at that point but that she went back to her place with him and seemed to be enjoying it was repulsive to me. If I am playing the character I never want to be forced into dating someone I am not interested in.
I don't understand how it is that bad? It is just backstory. Would you have minded if it had been shown in a flashback at a later time?
If you are going to allow her to have either a hetero or lesbian path you shouldn't poison it by forcing us to deal with this date nor her expressing an interest in either sex without us dictating which one it will be.it currently is.
You are misunderstanding. She is bisexual. Then there are a number of LI:s you can choose from. Some who have dicks. Some who have pussies. There isn't a "lesbian path" or a "hetero path". And she remains bisexual regardless what LI:s you choose.

Reactions: EndlessNights

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020
Greetings,

I just realised that I hadn't shared (from our new patreon page) over here.

So, here's an excerpt of the important stuff.

---

[...]

This time, I wanted to talk about my overall "philosophy" / approach towards writing Zia.

So, here it goes.

1. I wish to treat this series like an on-going comic series, where each update is a chapter with its own start and end (sometimes in the form of cliff-hangers), while also having an overarching story arc that concludes at the end of each season.

And finally, the three seasons will combine together to make one giant sweeping story.

2. Zia is NOT a blank canvas character. Her story is already in motion by the time you're first introduced to her. So, there is a limit to how much you can shape her life.

What you CAN do is - choose among the decisions that SHE as a person would make.

I know this is a turn-off for some players, but as I've said in the past - Zia is a character study. So, to allow players to do anything & everything will simply make the whole story pointless.

And as you play the rest of the updates, you will quickly find out why that is the best way to approach this story.

3. On a related note, I'm also very clear about one thing. I do NOT want the player to be kept in the dark about the core of the story.

After playing 0.1, players may feel like they are missing some very important information about Zia. (Especially about why she
at the end.)

While not everything will be revealed right away, 0.2 WILL (curtly) answer the most important question of all - "What is the driving force of Zia that pushes her into doing what she does?"

After that, it is just a matter of peeling the layers behind the reason and taking the player on a ride full of twists and turns.

---

So, that's pretty much everything I wanted to share with you all at the moment. Sarnko is hard at work making the new renders and.... we'll get back to you with some more updates and previews as we have them ready :)

4.10 star(s) 7 Votes