VN Ren'Py Zia [v0.5] [Studio Zia]

4.10 star(s) 7 Votes

bacienvu88

Aug 3, 2021
Greetings,

I just realised that I hadn't shared (from our new patreon page) over here.

So, here's an excerpt of the important stuff.

---

[...]

This time, I wanted to talk about my overall "philosophy" / approach towards writing Zia.

So, here it goes.

1. I wish to treat this series like an on-going comic series, where each update is a chapter with its own start and end (sometimes in the form of cliff-hangers), while also having an overarching story arc that concludes at the end of each season.

And finally, the three seasons will combine together to make one giant sweeping story.

2. Zia is NOT a blank canvas character. Her story is already in motion by the time you're first introduced to her. So, there is a limit to how much you can shape her life.

What you CAN do is - choose among the decisions that SHE as a person would make.

I know this is a turn-off for some players, but as I've said in the past - Zia is a character study. So, to allow players to do anything & everything will simply make the whole story pointless.

And as you play the rest of the updates, you will quickly find out why that is the best way to approach this story.

3. On a related note, I'm also very clear about one thing. I do NOT want the player to be kept in the dark about the core of the story.

After playing 0.1, players may feel like they are missing some very important information about Zia. (Especially about why she
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
at the end.)

While not everything will be revealed right away, 0.2 WILL (curtly) answer the most important question of all - "What is the driving force of Zia that pushes her into doing what she does?"

After that, it is just a matter of peeling the layers behind the reason and taking the player on a ride full of twists and turns.

---

So, that's pretty much everything I wanted to share with you all at the moment. Sarnko is hard at work making the new renders and.... we'll get back to you with some more updates and previews as we have them ready :)
All three points sounds great to me. Looking forward to next episode.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Arisushi

EndlessNights

Jun 18, 2022
Zia is off to an intriguing start and I'm looking forward to the next update. The setting, worldbuilding, and atmosphere are all quite good. My main (basically only) complaint so far is that Zia's motivations and thought processes are sometimes quite unclear. I'm not sure if she's actually meant to come across as being an impulsive and arbitrary person, but I think it'll be difficult to roleplay as and make choices for a character I don't understand.

Case in point: I thought it was clear that the date with Nick was going quite poorly so I was surprised that Zia liked him well enough to take him home. Did sheer horniness win out? Does Zia have a secret incest kink which made Nick's creepy little brother line into a brilliant flirtation? Or did those two somehow manage to connect on some level without me noticing? I think a lot of criticism of this scene is unfair because it's not the game's fault that there isn't a bisexual protagonist tag on F95zone and it's perfectly natural that a bisexual girl would go out on a date with a guy. I just didn't see any sparks flying between this particular girl and guy so the outcome of the date puzzled me.

Another example is what happened at the end of the update. I assume or at least want to assume that Zia acted the way she did in response to a perceived threat, but she could just as easily be a serial killer or genocidal maniac out to annihilate all goblinkind. We can't say because 0.1 has essentially told us nothing about what kind of person Zia is. She could be capable of doing anything for any reason. Surely there's ample room for mystery and lore in a magical world like this one without the MC herself needing to be one of the mysteries. We of course don't need to know and shouldn't know everything about her right away, but I'd at least like to learn enough about her that her actions will no longer seem random.

The good news is that it's still very early on and there's all the time in the world to course-correct. Who knows, I might find 0.2 frustrating for entirely different reasons. :ROFLMAO:

bacienvu88

Aug 3, 2021
Case in point: I thought it was clear that the date with Nick was going quite poorly so I was surprised that Zia liked him well enough to take him home. Did sheer horniness win out? Does Zia have a secret incest kink which made Nick's creepy little brother line into a brilliant flirtation? Or did those two somehow manage to connect on some level without me noticing? I think a lot of criticism of this scene is unfair because it's not the game's fault that there isn't a bisexual protagonist tag on F95zone and it's perfectly natural that a bisexual girl would go out on a date with a guy. I just didn't see any sparks flying between this particular girl and guy so the outcome of the date puzzled me.
My head canon is that sleeping with persons with MC-like qualities¹ boosts her witch powers. :p

[1] I find that Nick would fit right in as an MC of a school landlady harem game. :)

Kind Nightmares

Instinct Unleashed developer
Game Developer
Oct 1, 2019
Another example is what happened at the end of the update. I assume or at least want to assume that Zia acted the way she did in response to a perceived threat, but she could just as easily be a serial killer or genocidal maniac out to annihilate all goblinkind.
I wouldn't even mind that, to be honest. Playing as a mc who is a sociopathic killer or even unaware of it herself would be fun. Although I doubt this is an option.

Reactions: EndlessNights

bacienvu88

Aug 3, 2021
I wouldn't even mind that, to be honest. Playing as a mc who is a sociopathic killer or even unaware of it herself would be fun. Although I doubt this is an option.
You mean something like "fight or embrace your inner beast"?

Kind Nightmares

Instinct Unleashed developer
Game Developer
Oct 1, 2019
You mean something like "fight or embrace your inner beast"?
Something like that.

For example, there have been murders and kidnappings for a long time. Investigating all this, mc realizes that this is all her doing. Along the way, she has a chance to get revenge on this date guy who apparently just wanted to take advantage of her, although she didn't seem to mind at all :HideThePain: . You as a player can choose the degree of cruelty or just forgive him. And it's the same with other choices in the game, like the paragon/renegade system.

Yes, I know this system is stupid and has already been implemented many times, but so far in games with a female protagonist I've only seen how much they love dicks in the ass or in the vagina. A little variation, to be honest.

Last edited:
Reactions: bacienvu88

SonsOfLiberty

Board Buff
Compressor
Sep 3, 2022
Zia [v0.2] [Studio Zia]

COMPRESSED:

Win/Linux:

- - -

Mac:

- - -

CboyC95

Engaged Member
Feb 22, 2019
A magic user masquerading as a stage magician? Why does that sound familiar?

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
Zia-0.2
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
rpdl torrents are unaffiliated with F95Zone and the game developer.
Please note that we do not provide support for games.
For torrent-related issues use here, or join us on !
, . Downloading issues? Look here.​

Olivia_V

Jun 5, 2017
This has a lot of potential. I'm loving the story so far, and the adorably awkward encounter near the end of the second chapter was well-written. There's a little render padding (like, you don't need three renders for drinking coffee for example), which may add up tp longer production time, but the renders are great and I love how the main character looks.

It wouldn't have even bothered me if she had left him at that point but that she went back to her place with him and seemed to be enjoying it was repulsive to me. If I am playing the character I never want to be forced into dating someone I am not interested in.
To be fair, it wasn't full blown, and is seemingly the only time that will happen. I wouldn't even count it as a full hetero scene.

Reactions: EndlessNights

Havenless_

Oct 12, 2020
For all intents and purposes, Zia will be a bisexual in this game. And (after kicking out Nick) players will have the flexibility to only stick to male partners or female partners in the game.
I have a question.

If we decide that she will only date women, will we have to continue to see/read her thoughts and opinions about heterosexual relationships?

I mean. The typical "I hope to someday find the right guy" stuff. Or keep having romantic/sexual thoughts about men. I understand being bisexual, but, like I said, if I decide to only have relationships with women, will Zia still be thinking about relationships/sex with men or inevitably flirting with them without us having agency in that regard?

Not only control whether you date men or women. Also control her personality in that respect. Precisely without that kind of thing being forced on us.

Or will she have heterosexual thoughts even dating only women by the player's choice?

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020
I have a question.

If we decide that she will only date women, will we have to continue to see/read her thoughts and opinions about heterosexual relationships?

I mean. The typical "I hope to someday find the right guy" stuff. Or keep having romantic/sexual thoughts about men. I understand being bisexual, but, like I said, if I decide to only have relationships with women, will Zia still be thinking about relationships/sex with men or inevitably flirting with them without us having agency in that regard?

Not only control whether you date men or women. Also control her personality in that respect. Precisely without that kind of thing being forced on us.

Or will she have heterosexual thoughts even dating only women by the player's choice?
No, once she kicks off her relationship with the female character (which happens in 0.2), there will NOT be any "pining for men" monologues or anything.

After you get into a love route, She won't be romantically/sexually interested in anyone unless you as the player specifically want her to be.

Havenless_

Oct 12, 2020
No, once she kicks off her relationship with the female character (which happens in 0.2), there will NOT be any "pining for men" monologues or anything.

After you get into a love route, She won't be romantically/sexually interested in anyone unless you as the player specifically want her to be.
Yay. Thank you for responding so quickly.

Reactions: Arisushi
4.10 star(s) 7 Votes