3D Software Help and Assistance. Ask Away.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

Feb 3, 2020
How do I minimize Daz and keep it minimized after launching a render? I can minimize it using the Show Desktop function in Windows after the render finished prepping, however, Daz app loves to steal focus and as soon as you brings another app to foreground Daz restores its window behind it and the renders pops to the foreground once it is finished. I don't know if this is by design but it's a lousy design especially a large Daz user base does NSFW renders.

Edit: So apparently it's intentional. WTF are the Daz people thinking?

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021
I am trying to put together my first kitbash scene of a rustic 19th century room. The problem is all the wooden props (furniture, floors, walls etc) look too new and polished. I could not find any rustic or weathered wooden shader product on Daz but they do exist for clothings and metals. Why is that or am I not searching correctly?
If you're interested in kitbashing, especially for obscure genres or time periods I recommend checking out sites like Turbosquid, CGtrader, Skeptchup Warehouse etc.
You can easily convert .FBX and .OBJ in Blender to work in Daz3d. It only takes a few extra steps and opens the door to a lot of extra content that isn't available in the regular Daz marketplace.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: 31971207

Feb 3, 2020
If you're interested in kitbashing, especially for obscure genres or time periods I recommend checking out sites like Turbosquid, CGtrader, Skeptchup Warehouse etc.
You can easily convert .FBX and .OBJ in Blender to work in Daz3d. It only takes a few extra steps and opens the door to a lot of extra content that isn't available in the regular Daz marketplace.
I have to learn to walk before I can run... Sigh...

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
I have to learn to walk before I can run... Sigh...
Fatalmasterpiece gave you some solid advice right there. I needed an older, non-ipod MP3 player and found a result for a free one over on Turbosquid. Been using it ever since for more niche stuff.

rjhome31.png

It's basically just File > Import > select the program the OBJ was made in. Then go to the surfaces tab and slap it on. They can be sort of touchy sometimes, depending on the program they were made with, but it should usually be fine. I ended up inheriting a couple Victorian dressers (and some chairs) from my grandparents, and they tend to age really well if they're taken care (meaning not left in a garage for years or something like that.). There's a couple things that might fit on Turbosquid ( , , , , , , ). Going this route can get pretty pricey pretty quick, though.

Meh1234567890

Mar 22, 2020
Is there a way to convert assests from one 3d engine to DAZ or vice versa. Like something from Honeyselect, or a game mod to daz? of is there a place with a tutorial video or something?

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Is there a way to convert assests from one 3d engine to DAZ or vice versa. Like something from Honeyselect, or a game mod to daz? of is there a place with a tutorial video or something?
Daz is able to import and export a few different standard 3d formats. However, you do not get all of the information that is needed to have a fully textured and rigged character that can be used without further editing. It's a reasonably time consuming and complex process to manually (e.g.) take a daz character into blender.

There are two different a "Daz to Blender Bridge" products that attempt to improve the process, but both have different limitations.

Other combinations (maya to daz, daz to honeyselect, etc) are even more challenging and require manual work.

Some artists will use daz for character creation (morphing) and posing, but then export to render in a different engine. the downside of this is twofold: once the 3d scene is exported from daz, you typically cannot edit geometry or pose any more, and secondly you need to recreate all of the surfaces/textures (potentially using the existing texture images) with that new engine's shaders.

Abuzze

Oct 22, 2020
I'd like to try to simulate a vaginal insertion in Blender, but even after playing around with soft body sliders for quite a while I can't get soft body deformations without glitches and mesh twitching.

Could anyone who is proficient in Blender give some hints/tutorials on how to use a soft body system to render inserting any solid object in a fairly viscous soft body cavity? Perhaps any other method that can be used (lattice, cloth, etc)?

DogzBallz

Sep 30, 2021
I'd like to try to simulate a vaginal insertion in Blender, but even after playing around with soft body sliders for quite a while I can't get soft body deformations without glitches and mesh twitching.

Could anyone who is proficient in Blender give some hints/tutorials on how to use a soft body system to render inserting any solid object in a fairly viscous soft body cavity? Perhaps any other method that can be used (lattice, cloth, etc)?
My initial reaction to this post was horror, then I re read it. Sorry have nothing useful to offer, good luck it sounds like a solid learning curve, I'd be curious to see your results.
Smegging Blender.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: osanaiko

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Anybody here who used the Triped Domineer and can tell how to attach a dick onto it?
Never used it.

The available "dicks" (Daz's own "anatomical elements", or aftermarket ones like TaB, Dicktator, etc) are all "geografts". These are designed to align with specific vertexes of the character mesh and thus appear to join seamlessly. This also means that the add-ons only work with specific character models they are designed for, not generic meshes.

If the "triped" alien thing is based on a G3 or G8 male figure, and the creator has not added/removed any geometry but instead just moved/scaled the existing vertexes, then there is a possiblity the genital add ons *might* work.

Otherwise, you're gonna be stuck with having to scratch-build/kitbash something yourself. And even then, getting a separate mesh to correctly position and move according to the Triped figure's bones will be a fairly steep learning curve.

acusrola

May 30, 2020
I don't currently have access to my production setup, but I'd like to ask if masking is at all possible in DAZ? If it is, I'm fairly sure I could find it myself - once I can continue messing about with DAZ - but I'd love to have some notes to start with.

What I mean is, for example, using these boots can I just use "bone visibility" from the scene editor, or do something else? In other words, how could I stop the rendering of the G8 model / cut the mesh non-destructively? The dream would be to create a toggle switch to disable some parts of the model from rendering, or use something like the iray render hider plane (whatever it is called) to simply stop parts that should not be visible from rendering.

I know I can use the mesh editor tool to do quick edits to eliminate clipping or poke-ins, but after finishing a character that I'd like to do more renders of, I wouldn't mind investing a bit more time to create areas for the character to for example, hide the legs below the hips, hide arms (but not hands), hide the chest, etc.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
I don't currently have access to my production setup, but I'd like to ask if masking is at all possible in DAZ? If it is, I'm fairly sure I could find it myself - once I can continue messing about with DAZ - but I'd love to have some notes to start with.

What I mean is, for example, using these boots can I just use "bone visibility" from the scene editor, or do something else? In other words, how could I stop the rendering of the G8 model / cut the mesh non-destructively? The dream would be to create a toggle switch to disable some parts of the model from rendering, or use something like the iray render hider plane (whatever it is called) to simply stop parts that should not be visible from rendering.

I know I can use the mesh editor tool to do quick edits to eliminate clipping or poke-ins, but after finishing a character that I'd like to do more renders of, I wouldn't mind investing a bit more time to create areas for the character to for example, hide the legs below the hips, hide arms (but not hands), hide the chest, etc.
Do you mean like this? Select the bone and hit the visibility toggle?

1645185249845.png

acusrola

May 30, 2020
Do you mean like this? Select the bone and hit the visibility toggle?

View attachment 1660494
In a vacuum yeah that would work perfectly (can't test my case right now). But from what I remember, hiding bones right from the scene editor cause the clothes to morph "into" the missing areas. So for example, a model was using headlights (a nipple geograft) and when I hid those using the eye button, the top would collapse into the chest because headlights would hide / cut the normal nipples and areolae from the model mesh itself.

I hope I'm wrong and I hope it's that simple.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
In a vacuum yeah that would work perfectly (can't test my case right now). But from what I remember, hiding bones right from the scene editor cause the clothes to morph "into" the missing areas. So for example, a model was using headlights (a nipple geograft) and when I hid those using the eye button, the top would collapse into the chest because headlights would hide / cut the normal nipples and areolae from the model mesh itself.

I hope I'm wrong and I hope it's that simple.
Hmmm.

That might happen for D-force, but i think you can hide visibility but still have the part included in the simulation. Or I could be wrong :shrug:

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016
I am trying to put together my first kitbash scene of a rustic 19th century room. The problem is all the wooden props (furniture, floors, walls etc) look too new and polished. I could not find any rustic or weathered wooden shader product on Daz but they do exist for clothings and metals. Why is that or am I not searching correctly?
https://f95zone.to/threads/wooden-planks-iray-shaders.35559/
https://f95zone.to/threads/15-floor-board-iray-shaders-merchant-resource.48698/

Reactions: 31971207

Ish

Oct 12, 2017
many thanks but its not working.

I parent g8.1 female to the chair and try pose with selected chair - nothing - then character - nothing.
I parent chair to the g8.1 female and try pose with selected chair - nothing - then character - nothing.

Every other parenting and poses work w/o problems. I am hopeless.

acusrola

May 30, 2020
Are there any edge cases I should be aware of (that any of you might have experienced) with CPU+GPU rendering?

In a few quick test renders I was able to get about 1/3 render times by using both the 5900x and GTX 1080 I have, versus just the GPU.

1000x1000, 150 iteration test render done with GPU, 2m 51s to 2m 59s on two tests.
Same render with CPU+GPU, about 1m 2s +/- 1s on two tests.

2000x, 150 iteration, GPU: 4m 37s (1 test)
2000x, 150 iteration, CPU+GPU: 3m 1s (1 test)

I've heard that I should only be using the GPU as it is faster for rendering, and I'm sure that if I would ONLY use my CPU that would be true (vs. only using GPU). However, the speed boost is considerable, and I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing here? I have capped the CPU at 22 threads (out of 24) so that my computer stays usable so that isn't a problem.

Of course there are some differences outside, CPU rendering puts my cpu usage (and temp. + power) to max at 100%, about 75c, and 142W. Vs. GPU only at about 9%, 62c, and 71W.

I have also intentionally underclocked my GPU (because I CANNOT AFFORD TO LOSE IT) so that may be the cause for the rather substantial difference.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote