3D Software Help and Assistance. Ask Away.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
Hey all,

Noobie request.

I'm checking out the Ultimate Make up pack for genesis 8. They talk about options. Does anybody know about an intuitive way of playing around with those options, once you load a particular feature of the pack? I've figured that by showing assets in content library all features seem to be there, including those "options", which don't turn out to be sliders allowing to tweek the level of make-up you've loaded, but are just additional Material icons to add.

Just wanted to know if there was another way of accessing these features, and if you can tweak manually the UMU materials loaded.
The makeup pack is essentially 67 LIE texture maps that are applied over the face texture. With the LIE system, once the make-up is applied there is no way of adjusting it outside of undo to remove. What it is actually doing is altering the face texture map itself.

If you want greater control of how these are applied you are actually better off doing it externally in an image editor. Open your character face texture map and then open the makeup option you want as a layer. You can then tweak this makeup layer by changing things such as opacity before saving the resultant face texture map. You can locate the face texture map by hovering over the mini face map in the surfaces tab. The makeup options will be under the runtime\textures folder within your Daz3D Library.

Reactions: Manifold

Notretsam

Game Developer
Nov 1, 2017
so am wondering but what do devs use when you want a Genesis Male model to hold a book?

Having a bit of trouble posing model with a book. I tried to find some specific poses but could only locate ones for Genesis 3/8 Female.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
so am wondering but what do devs use when you want a Genesis Male model to hold a book?

Having a bit of trouble posing model with a book. I tried to find some specific poses but could only locate ones for Genesis 3/8 Female.
You can use male pose on woman and vice & versa :sneaky:.
I just wrote a small tutorial on posing here.

Notretsam

Game Developer
Nov 1, 2017
You can use male pose on woman and vice & versa :sneaky:.
I just wrote a small tutorial on posing here.
I tried that but the pose was too feminine with how the model was standing, I could straighten it up but was hoping since there was one for woman, there was something for posing males who are holding a book.

appears am going have to spend ages setting up my own poses with males and books, kinda sucks but is what it is.

DoomedForever

Jul 16, 2018
I tried that but the pose was too feminine with how the model was standing, I could straighten it up but was hoping since there was one for woman, there was something for posing males who are holding a book.

appears am going have to spend ages setting up my own poses with males and books, kinda sucks but is what it is.

Maybe this is what you're looking for?

Manifold

Jan 14, 2018
Hey all,

I'm currently trying to learn as much as possible about adding eyebrows in DAZ 3D.

For me the best way to learn is working with the generic genesis characters. However the female G8 skin for example comes with eyebrows painted directly on it. I need a generic skin without eyebrows to test these eyebrow packs.

Would anyone know where to find the basic G8 skin texture (not any of the Victoria, etc variants), but without eyebrows? Would I need to paint them off myself manually in photoshop? That would mean doing it on the four different layers (base, bump, translucency, top coat) with a final result I am not sure of.

The reason is that personalised skin textures such as Victoria's are incompatible with features such as Ultimate Make-up.

I don't understand why there is no variant without eyebrows. But perhaps there is? If so, I'd be really grateful if anyone would tell me where to find it!

Last edited:

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Hey all,

I'm currently trying to learn as much as possible about adding eyebrows in DAZ 3D.

For me the best way to learn is working with the generic genesis characters. However the female G8 skin for example comes with eyebrows painted directly on it. I need a generic skin without eyebrows to test these eyebrow packs.

Would anyone know where to find the G8 skin texture, but without eyebrows? Would I need to paint them off myself manually in photoshop? That would mean doing it on the four different layers (base, bump, translucency, top coat) with a final result I am not sure of.

I don't understand why there is no such variant for G8 characters. But perhaps there is? If so, I'd be really grateful if anyone would tell me where to find it!
Brow remover

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
That one doesn't seem to have been updated for G8 characters. You could buy the updated version I suppose.

Otherwise photoshop (or Gimp, but not sure if it has the same option) is your friend. Content aware brush removes them easily withing a couple seconds.
It works, just use the additional mask. Adjust it if you really need but mostly you don't have to.

Manifold

Jan 14, 2018
It works, just use the additional mask. Adjust it if you really need but mostly you don't have to.
Brilliant, thanks a lot to both no__name and Synx. In fact FYI the Genesis 3F mask does work on Genesis 8...beats me why, but heck, as long as it works!

For noobies like me: make sure to save the changes as materials preset. If not, it breaks your whole face texture once you close and reopen your character file.

Last edited:

Manifold

Jan 14, 2018
I've loaded the female genitalia for genesis 8. Can't remember, but I believe this add-on is part of the Victoria bundle.

After googling around, am I right saying that there is no simple skin texture add-on for the genitalia (which appears as grey-metallic), which preserves the basic G8 skin texture?

In which case, I can only load a skin texture from a G8 made character (eg Victoria's), or use scripts such as Beautiful skin?

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
I've loaded the female genitalia for genesis 8. Can't remember, but I believe this add-on is part of the Victoria bundle.

After googling around, am I right saying that there is no simple skin texture add-on for the genitalia (which appears as grey-metallic), which preserves the basic G8 skin texture?

In which case, I can only load a skin texture from a G8 made character (eg Victoria's), or use scripts such as Beautiful skin?
Yes, if the skin material of the character you use doesn't contain genital texture, you will have that grey-metallic aspect.

Easy path, you install New Gens for Victoria 8 (or Golden Palace) which can be used on any skins, or a little less easier, you create your own texture for it.

Manifold

Jan 14, 2018

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
why is daz forcing CPU to render instead of gpu
View attachment 531092
Daz3D will drop to CPU rendering whenever the full scene can't be fitted into the video card VRAM. With your GTX1650 (4GB VRAM?) this will happen whenever you have more than 1 character in the scene or have a complicated background. The later versions of Daz seem to be consuming more VRAM than earlier versions.

To have the scene use less VRAM you need to hide items not in the field of view or simplify the texture maps in the scene. The easiest way to simplify texture maps is via the use of Scene Optimizer.

Last edited:

Notretsam

Game Developer
Nov 1, 2017
Daz3D will drop to CPU rendering whenever the full scene can't be fitted into the video card VRAM. With your GTX1650 (4GB VRAM?) this will happen whenever you have more than 1 character in the scene or have a complicated background. The later versions of Daz seem to be consuming more VRAM than earlier versions.

To have the scene use less VRAM you need to hide items not in the field of view or simplify the texture maps in the scene. The easiest way to simplify texture maps is via the use of Scene Optimizer.
Scene Optimizer?

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote