3D Software Help and Assistance. Ask Away.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

10xRecoil

Aug 28, 2020
The wet look is a geoshell that is applied over the model to achieve the shine / droplets. The effect layer on NGV8 also uses a geoshell to achieve similar effects. The problem you have is that with the doubling up on geoshells, the result is not what is intended. To correct and also achieve the wet effect in the NGV8 do the following:
- Update NVG8 surface to the model to get consistency on the base skin (should already be done)
- Go into the surfaces tab and copy the torso surface for the wet skin geoshell
- Paste the wet skin torso surface to the effect layer on NGV8 (Genitals & Anus)
- On the wet skin geoshell turn off the NGV8 portions in the parameters (as per your screenshot)
- Assign corrected torso map should wet skin surface texture map not be a torso map. *

I'm not sure what the swelling look is, however if it is another geoshell it will cause problems. If it is a geometry preset, should be fine.

PS: You can think of a geoshell as a frosted pane of glass placed over the model. If you have more than 1 it will give an unintended effect due to the interaction between multiple layers.

Edit: Did a couple of tests and it doesn't work quite as well as I thought. Can't get the wet skin effect to apply to the genitals, however there are no sharp changes of colour. I'll try to get the texture maps to work and will let you know should I succeed.

Edit 2: I had to grab the appropriate portion from the wet skin texture map and crop and resize to a torso map. Following this did the last step above.

PS: The wet skin effect is from

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Alright, the last step, correcting the torso map, how did you do that?
It's been a while, so is there a new way to do wet presets on female genitalia?

PS I read all your descriptive tutorials. Pure gems. Thanks.

Yuuki4

Jun 30, 2018
why not use the characters u listed as links?
Because I like mixing character-morphs, so they look closer to what I want. It's easier if they have similar proportions from the start, hence why I want to find more character-morphs that are petite.

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
Alright, the last step, correcting the torso map, how did you do that?
It's been a while, so is there a new way to do wet presets on female genitalia?

PS I read all your descriptive tutorials. Pure gems. Thanks.
I'll try to clarify, by listing the exact sequence of steps. Tested with NVG8 hence may not work with other gens attachments.
- Have a model with the NV8Gens applied.
- Select overall model and then apply the SWH Wet Skin Geoshell G8F.
In iRay view you should see a white surface over the gens.
- Select Wet Skin GeoShell and turn OFF Anus and Genitalia in parameters tab.
In iRay the white surface should disappear, however there is no wet effect on the gens.
- Copy the Torso surface from Wet Skin Geoshell.
- Unhide (Show) the New Genitalia For Victoria 8 - Effect Layer
- On the Surface tab in the NVG8 Effect Layer select the new-gens surfaces and Paste to Selected Surfaces

The effect layer on the NVG8 is a geoshell that conforms to the genitals, whilst the wet effect when initially applied is a geoshell that applies to the overall model. Hence you need to switch the wet effect from the Main model to the NVG8 attachment geoshell to have the wet effect correctly conform to the adjusted shape with the NVG8 attachment applied.

10xRecoil

Aug 28, 2020
I'll try to clarify, by listing the exact sequence of steps. Tested with NVG8 hence may not work with other gens attachments.
- Have a model with the NV8Gens applied.
- Select overall model and then apply the SWH Wet Skin Geoshell G8F.
In iRay view you should see a white surface over the gens.
- Select Wet Skin GeoShell and turn OFF Anus and Genitalia in parameters tab.
In iRay the white surface should disappear, however there is no wet effect on the gens.
- Copy the Torso surface from Wet Skin Geoshell.
- Unhide (Show) the New Genitalia For Victoria 8 - Effect Layer
- On the Surface tab in the NVG8 Effect Layer select the new-gens surfaces and Paste to Selected Surfaces

The effect layer on the NVG8 is a geoshell that conforms to the genitals, whilst the wet effect when initially applied is a geoshell that applies to the overall model. Hence you need to switch the wet effect from the Main model to the NVG8 attachment geoshell to have the wet effect correctly conform to the adjusted shape with the NVG8 attachment applied.
sensei, my deepest gratitude
wet gen.png

Reactions: Xavster

dsad12d

Feb 21, 2021
Hi - maybe really stupid to ask, but I never used Daz Studio before (I do have experience with Blender and Maya before)
I saw some G8F and G8.1F I like, and I would like to purchase those model from the creator. Can someone please point me to the right direction to start using Daz Studio with those model?

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
Hi - maybe really stupid to ask, but I never used Daz Studio before (I do have experience with Blender and Maya before)
I saw some G8F and G8.1F I like, and I would like to purchase those model from the creator. Can someone please point me to the right direction to start using Daz Studio with those model?
All Genesis figures are free to use. You have to pay for additional morphs (shapekeys/blendshapes) and textures for new characters, but the figure itself comes with the program. Just create an account on Daz3d's website and download it with Daz Install Manager.

Also a word of warning. Daz Studio's posing tools are fucking atrocious. I strongly advice you to learn how to export them to Blender or Maya ASAP.

Reactions: dsad12d

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Also a word of warning. Daz Studio's posing tools are fucking atrocious. I strongly advice you to learn how to export them to Blender or Maya ASAP.
dsad12d I am going to respectfully add some nuance to MidnightArrow's comment, as he is well known as one of the most vocal critics of Daz3D:

Yes, Daz has some serious usability flaws in parts of its functionality such as posing, animations, camera navigation and others.

However, despite those troubles, it is my understanding based on reading thousands of posts on this forum over the past several years that it seems the great majority of game developers/3d creators successfully complete all their work purely within Daz3d.

Given that you say that you have experience with other 3d software perhaps you will not be willing to suffer with the Daz3d tools, and going the export/add-bones-and-rigging/pose/re-import process will be better for you.

Good luck!

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
However, despite those troubles, it is my understanding based on reading thousands of posts on this forum over the past several years that it seems the great majority of game developers/3d creators successfully complete all their work purely within Daz3d.
Well, when asked about their process, it tends to be "First you need a library of 200 pose packs. Then you need to go through all of them and find one that's sort of like what you're looking for. And then you need to spend a half-hour tweaking it until it's just the way you want..."

That's how they complete all their work purely within Daz3d.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
MidnightArrow I'm not trying to antagonize and I'm sure you've explained this before, but can you summarize your process?

Do you do all the morphing etc in daz before exporting to blender (or maya?)?

Do you need to rig the figure to adjust pose? as far as I understand the Daz export doesn't bring bones and rigging with it...

Do you reimport to render in daz, or do you re-texture the assets in blender and render there? if so how much of the daz asset materials can you reuse in blender?

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
MidnightArrow I'm not trying to antagonize and I'm sure you've explained this before, but can you summarize your process?

Do you do all the morphing etc in daz before exporting to blender (or maya?)?

Do you need to rig the figure to adjust pose? as far as I understand the Daz export doesn't bring bones and rigging with it...

Do you reimport to render in daz, or do you re-texture the assets in blender and render there? if so how much of the daz asset materials can you reuse in blender?
You need to morph the character inside Daz Studio since some morphs change the armature's rest position, and Blender can't do that dynamically (yet). So any morph that changes the positions of the bones (typically character or height/weight morphs) needs to be baked into the model on export. Others, like nipples or navels, can be exported later and added as shape keys you can dial in and out whenever you want.

You save the character as a Duf scene and then save a .dbz file, which is created by the Diffeomorphic exporter.

You load the Duf in Blender. The character's rig is intact and you can pose it right away if you want.

Then you need to do some tidying up. Merging the clothing armatures with the figure's skeleton, importing JCMs, transferring them to the clothing, etc. Depending on your use case, you may want to go further and do things like rig the hair with bones. That can take a very long time. If it's a one-off render, it's easier to sculpt the hair how you want it. I also like to rig up skirts with lattices or mesh deform modifiers, which often flow better than the default rigging. But that's optional and everybody needs to find their own workflow here.

Once everything else is done, I convert the character to use Blender's built-in Rigify rig, a full-featured FK/IK switch rig that makes posing characters a breeze.

Originally Diffeomorphic's material converter was kind of bad, but after a few months of struggle and setback I have a skin shader I'm happy with. (I'll share it if somebody wants.) Rolling my own skin materials turned out to be a blessing in disguise, since Daz QA does fuck-all to ensure skins are consistent between different PAs. Now I just tweak skins to match every other character while I'm making them, and it works fine. Other materials (that don't have subsurface scattering) convert pretty well and usually don't require any manual fix-up unless you want to do it (I usually do).

Getting a character ready can take anywhere from 10 minutes to a few hours, depending on your use case and how much effort you put into it. But Rigify is so effortless to use that you save a lot more time in the long run, if you're making a VN where the character needs to be linked into many different scenes. The only situation I'd ever use Daz Studio is if I need to make a sprite for a minor character who won't ever be appearing in an event still. In that case, it is easier to render them in Daz Studio over a transparent background than do the full conversion profess. But I'd still use Blender to make the actual poses and export them as Duf files.

Aside from exporting poses, there's no way to bring a scene back into Daz Studio. But frankly I don't even care. Iray is a good engine in theory, but Daz3d put it into baby mode and it's worse than Blender's Cycles. It uses only the sRGB color transform, it's denoiser can't output dirty or albedo passes, etc. I can live without it.

Originally I did have an idea to skip the conversion step entirely and make a VN by exporting all the poses from Blender. But in the end, the half-assed implementation of Iray helped convince me not to go through with it, since the renders were too noisy but the Iray denoiser was too shitty.

Last edited:

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
MidnightArrow Thanks for the detailed explanation.

The "DUF/DBZ thing with diffeomatic" was the piece missing from my understanding, which was based on trying to manually get a daz character into blender about 5 years ago, and then being stumped /going down blender 2.79 youtube rabbithole trying to understand how to add bones and rigging.

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
MidnightArrow Thanks for the detailed explanation.

The "DUF/DBZ thing with diffeomatic" was the piece missing from my understanding, which was based on trying to manually get a daz character into blender about 5 years ago, and then being stumped /going down blender 2.79 youtube rabbithole trying to understand how to add bones and rigging.
Yeah, if you're exporting as Obj and adding your own rigging, it's going to be a pain in the ass (although the devs just revealed Animation 2025, so it might get much, much better in the future). But Diffeomorphic preserves the Daz skeleton on export and it's much easier to use than rigging it yourself.

You can also find plenty of ripped video game models for Blender on SFMLab, which'll most likely have Rigify applied. But obviously that's more of a legal problem than using Daz assets (that you paid for).

Reactions: osanaiko

dsad12d

Feb 21, 2021
All Genesis figures are free to use. You have to pay for additional morphs (shapekeys/blendshapes) and textures for new characters, but the figure itself comes with the program. Just create an account on Daz3d's website and download it with Daz Install Manager.

Thanks, that's exactly what I am looking because their official guide is a bit "confusing" to me.

Yuuki4

Jun 30, 2018
Anyone know what character model this is:

1672250386936.png

She's used a lot in Mytilus ( ) promotional stuff:

Like:

But I can't seem to find the character... :/

amster22

Nov 13, 2019
Anyone know what character model this is:

View attachment 2269291

She's used a lot in Mytilus ( ) promotional stuff:

Like:

But I can't seem to find the character... :/
I have already tried to find, without success. I'm indeed pretty sure that it is a custom character. Mytilus has already sold some characters at daz3D or rendo (but not this one).
The best way to know is probably to directly ask the artist. At renderosity, it is possible to send a PM to artists and I have already had answers and useful help from them.

Reactions: Yuuki4

Yuuki4

Jun 30, 2018
So I've an issue with Golden Palace,

Specifically the Shells, they refuse to properly copy the color of the model. As far as I can tell I've done as the guide tells me, but clearly something is wrong. It looks like this, where the outline of the asset is clearly visible:
1672667703993.png

It's the same thing for the Majora shell too. If I hide the shells, the issue goes away and looks like this:
1672667821048.png

Now, I don't want to just not use the shells because they add details that I like. Has anyone else had this issue with the Shells and know how to fix it?

Quadruple-Q

Times are HARD
Game Developer
Jan 4, 2023

Specifically the Shells, they refuse to properly copy the color of the model. As far as I can tell I've done as the guide tells me, but clearly something is wrong. It looks like this, where the outline of the asset is clearly visible:
View attachment 2280638

It's the same thing for the Majora shell too. If I hide the shells, the issue goes away and looks like this:
View attachment 2280641

Now, I don't want to just not use the shells because they add details that I like. Has anyone else had this issue with the Shells and know how to fix it?
Do you have your genesis 8 figure selected when using the copy materials script? Because in your screenshots it looks like you have the shell selected. Otherwise try removing the genitalia + shells and re-applying them.

tripod70

Not so Well-known Member
Game Developer
Oct 23, 2020

View attachment 2280638

View attachment 2280641

All of the time!!! ??? I just reapply the shell and it is right, or back to where it was.

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: osanaiko
5.00 star(s) 1 Vote