3D Software Help and Assistance. Ask Away.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

10xRecoil

Aug 28, 2020
Hey osanaiko ,How far have you come in your grasp of Blender animation? More precisely how should I make animation assets like Evgen ( ) does?

It's been a week or so, and I'm still looking for the way to get at least the animation portion back to Daz from Blender, but no success.
The IK in blender makes life so much easier. Now I lowkey hate daz. Every forum I've found on the topic is filled with arguments and disagreements.

MidnightArrow any pointers on how the devs do it ? Are they exporting everything including environment from daz to blender/sfm and rendering it there ? But then what about the lighting..
Help me, guys, before I jump out of the window.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Hey osanaiko ,How far have you come in your grasp of Blender animation? More precisely how should I make animation assets like Evgen ( ) does?
Sorry dude, I've never spent any time on animation in Blender. Strictly box modelling for me so far, and haven't really even done that very much for the past 12 months or so. I'm afraid that I'm not the droid you are looking for. :poop:

10xRecoil

Aug 28, 2020
Sorry dude, I've never spent any time on animation in Blender. Strictly box modelling for me so far, and haven't really even done that very much for the past 12 months or so. I'm afraid that I'm not the droid you are looking for. :poop:
ah alright but if you somehow come across, please feel free to redirect me there. Thanks.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
In Daz what's the best or easiest way to fill this tub with water for a scene? View attachment 2294209
If you're just showing it at that angle, there's a few assets that can do the job.

(this one might work best for you.)

amster22

Nov 13, 2019
I have a relatively powerful computer, but trying to render while any type of dForce hair is visible (and only hair, dForce clothing is fine) crashes my computer. Is this normal? Is my computer just not powerful enough? I think it's my RAM getting clogged.
What is your RAM size? This is the most critical parameter in your computer (along with the GPU VRAM) and, yes, if it is too small, DS will crash.

Reactions: osanaiko

grohotor

May 15, 2020
Only 16GB -- probably my PC's most dated component.
i have 32 and i still have to watch out for excessive ram use.I'm deffinetly getting 64 when im upgrading my pc. Good thing is that ram is cheap. Dforce hair uses a lot of it, turn down the tesselation on it and try again.

Reactions: KuttingTime

amster22

Nov 13, 2019
Only 16GB -- probably my PC's most dated component.
16Gb is definitely not enough, except for very simple scenes. When I started to use daz, I had this RAM size, and I underwent several daily daz crashes. Not only with dforce hair. Just if the scene is too complex and it happened when trying to render a scene with a couple of chars and a somehow realistic environment. I also had a few computer crashes with a BSOD.
Probably 32Gigs is required to avoid most problems, but the safest is 64Gb. And the other limitation is the VRAM that limits the complexity of the rendered scenes. 8Gb VRAM is a minimum that will allow to render some scenes with 2 chars, 3 if you are lucky, but larger VRAM are really preferred.

Reactions: KuttingTime

DrkPhoenix

May 12, 2018
Does anyone that uses blender know how to make skin look better when using diffeomorphic? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
Does anyone that uses blender know how to make skin look better when using diffeomorphic? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You need to explain what you mean by "better".

Does the skin look pale and washed-out? That's because it's using the filmic color transform which is meant for compositing.

Or do you mean you want it to look exactly like the Uber shader?

In the options if you turn on "BDSF (Cycles only)" it'll be an exact 1:1 match for the Uber shader. However the Blender devs made a change for 3.3 so now different materials can't share a volume, so there's ugly blue lines at the material seams. You need to stick to 3.2 or below or stick to headshots.

But Daz Studio's fucking stupid SSS technique isn't worth the hassle of remaking in Blender anyway. If you just want a good-looking skin shader I can share mine later, when I get a chance.

DrkPhoenix

May 12, 2018
You need to explain what you mean by "better".

Does the skin look pale and washed-out? That's because it's using the filmic color transform which is meant for compositing.

Or do you mean you want it to look exactly like the Uber shader?

In the options if you turn on "BDSF (Cycles only)" it'll be an exact 1:1 match for the Uber shader. However the Blender devs made a change for 3.3 so now different materials can't share a volume, so there's ugly blue lines at the material seams. You need to stick to 3.2 or below or stick to headshots.

But Daz Studio's fucking stupid SSS technique isn't worth the hassle of remaking in Blender anyway. If you just want a good-looking skin shader I can share mine later, when I get a chance.
Yeah, it looks washed out, but I did try the two things you mentioned, which seemed to help a bit. Could you still link your shader, so I can take a look?

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
Yeah, it looks washed out, but I did try the two things you mentioned, which seemed to help a bit. Could you still link your shader, so I can take a look?
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Iray has no SSS, so Daz Studio uses some volume tricks to fake it. Skin textures are much lighter than they should be to account for darkening by the shader, and the brightness is different depending on whether a PA uses Scatter Only, Scatter & Transmit, or Scatter & Transmit Intensity. Cycles has real SSS so all this crap is irrelevant, but you do need to pass the Daz diffuse texture through an HSV node to darken it. The value can range anywhere from 75% to all the way down to 25%.

After the HSV, split it into a diffuse and SSS mix. This is similar to the diffuse and translucent weight in the Uber shader, but without being a bunch of confusing bullshit to get around Iray's lack of SSS. The diffuse tint works best as a very slight blue. Too much and the character becomes part of Blue Man Group. The SSS tint should be somewhere in the orange-red-yellow spectrum. Depends on what the diffuse texture looks like. Since PAs skins often mismatch even in Daz Studio, it's best to create a reference character and then for every other character to tweak these two tints until they match the reference rather than what the original looks like.

The SSS color is what color skin glows when you're in front of it, the radius color is what color the skin glows when light is behind it. I find 1.0 - 0.05 - 0.05 works best for radius.

Blender uses meters as its default unit, so for SSS scale you need a low value like 0.01 or else your figure looks like a gummy bear. The scale afaict is just a multiplier for the radius, but it's best to leave the radius as high as possible so you can see what color is should be. You should also have a very low value for bump distance too since that's also in meters.

Since SSS shines through thin parts of skin it often makes eyelids glow. I add a vertex color attribute called Eye Mask to lower the SSS influence around the eyebrows and anywhere else it's too strong. Then I mix it with a flat gray set to 0.3 brightness. That's the same as setting the mix node to 0.3 directly, but with the eye mask factored in.

I added two glossy nodes because I experimented with a dual-lobe specular setup, but I don't think it makes a difference. You probably only need one.

amster22

Nov 13, 2019
Can someone help me with this product?
Keychain
https://f95zone.to/threads/key-chain.13156/

I can't seem to figure out how to load this thing in Daz. It has only Runtime and Documentation folder.

The same goes for
Anything that just has a Runtime directory is a poser asset.

Some can be installed by DIM and you will find them under "Poser Formats" in the Content Library.
Otherwise, you need to paste the zip content somewhere, RClick>Add Runtime Directory in the "Poser Formats" and add the directory where you copied the zip. Probably the asset will be somewhere under Figures or Props.
Poser files have absolutely no sensible structuration and I advise you to have several Poser Runtimes, for instance for Environments, Props, Outfits, etc. It makes searching an asset easier.

10xRecoil

Aug 28, 2020
Anything that just has a Runtime directory is a poser asset.

Some can be installed by DIM and you will find them under "Poser Formats" in the Content Library.
Otherwise, you need to paste the zip content somewhere, RClick>Add Runtime Directory in the "Poser Formats" and add the directory where you copied the zip. Probably the asset will be somewhere under Figures or Props.
Poser files have absolutely no sensible structuration and I advise you to have several Poser Runtimes, for instance for Environments, Props, Outfits, etc. It makes searching an asset easier.
Thanks. It works.(y)

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
no__name Hello, what would you say is the correct translucency weight value for sclera on regular iray Uber shader?
Hi, it's quite a tough question. As many things in rendering lot of things are situational where you adjust on the fly.
Generally not much (under .5) or at all, and I don't really see cases where you should go ever higher but it's just personal opinion (It's not dumb if it works).

When I was making VN prototypes, my go-to workflow was :
-Load that gorgeous custom skin you passionnatly edited
-Use Victoria 8.1 eyes (sclera/cornea/moisture...) as a base of work

Why Vic 8.1? Because it's overall well balanced maps/shader wise (as far as Uber/PBRS can go), not sure there is better (havn't seen yet but Im not up to date). I still not had time to look at Victoria g9 ones.

Now I always done speed rendering (IrayCam+portrait HDRI as main light source) and common problem is lack of reflection in the cornea (ie "dead fish" eyes). Look at this post for slight reflection push in the cornea.

Last edited:

Veibabe

Jul 15, 2021
Hi, it's quite a tough question. As many things in rendering lot of things are situational where you adjust on the fly.
Generally not much (under .5) or at all, and I don't really see cases where you should go ever higher but it's just personal opinion (It's not dumb if it works).

When I was making VN prototypes, my go-to workflow was :
-Load that gorgeous custom skin you passionnatly edited
-Use Victoria 8.1 eyes (sclera/cornea/moisture...) as a base of work

Why Vic 8.1? Because it's overall well balanced maps/shader wise (as far as Uber/PBRS can go), not sure there is better (havn't seen yet but Im not up to date). I still not had time to look at Victoria g9 ones.

Now I always done speed rendering (IrayCam+portrait HDRI as main light source) and common problem is lack of reflection in the cornea (ie "dead fish" eyes). Look at this post for slight reflection push in the cornea.
So, would you say that 0.2 is not enough? Going over 0.5 makes the sclera too dark without texture edit.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
So, would you say that 0.2 is not enough? Going over 0.5 makes the sclera too dark without texture edit.
Man you make load all of my old daz skins just to be sure lol.
I'm 0.4 everywhere. I'm pretty sure I used Vic 8.1 as base with an edited diffuse/SSS map.
0.2 may be to whitish in normal condtion - but then if you re making a VN (and don't make totally bland render) you will deal with over/under lighted condition on a daily basis, so don't write everything in stone.

Also eyes are the most critical thing ever as it's what your brain interpret first. You can have the most perfect skin, if you fuck up the eyes, you fucked up. That's why I redirect people to Vic 8.1 which seems to be the easiest road.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote