README Tool RPGM A better RPGM MTL: A comprehensive guide to translating with the Machine.

Silentce

Quiet Eldritch Horror
Modder
Uploader
Jan 2, 2018
So i tried translating the MAP > basicly the dialogs that happen during the story BUT it bugs out the enemies
That doesn't mean you didn't translate image calls or break something. Map files contain more then just dialog. They have scripting calls, special characters that control how the text displays, even text blocks will have script codes that need to be preserved. If you don't you can break many aspects of a game. This is why I don't recommend Translator ++. Because even if you didn't break anything, that doesn't mean that translator didn't if you had it do any of the translation. One thing you can do in some cases when looking for bugs is get a copy of the game without any translation, and then one by one add your translated files and test for the bug. when you find the file with the bug you know where to look and it narrows down the cause of the issue.

examples of common special characters that break games \| |^ \. ,etc. any spaces between these calls can break things. if you enemies aren't doing anything then it is more then likely you messing with the animations that messed something up, either that or you might of broken skills or something combat related. Also if plugins with MV dictate combat a change you made to a plugin can call can also break the game. you have to be very careful what you change. T++ won't tell you what it is you are translating where the engine will.

gabz787878

Aug 31, 2020
That doesn't mean you didn't translate image calls or break something. Map files contain more then just dialog. They have scripting calls, special characters that control how the text displays, even text blocks will have script codes that need to be preserved. If you don't you can break many aspects of a game. This is why I don't recommend Translator ++. Because even if you didn't break anything, that doesn't mean that translator didn't if you had it do any of the translation. One thing you can do in some cases when looking for bugs is get a copy of the game without any translation, and then one by one add your translated files and test for the bug. when you find the file with the bug you know where to look and it narrows down the cause of the issue.

examples of common special characters that break games \| |^ \. ,etc. any spaces between these calls can break things. if you enemies aren't doing anything then it is more then likely you messing with the animations that messed something up, either that or you might of broken skills or something combat related. Also if plugins with MV dictate combat a change you made to a plugin can call can also break the game. you have to be very careful what you change. T++ won't tell you what it is you are translating where the engine will.
Ok so i did NOT translate the animation at all so it must be something in the maps..anyway thanks for the patience im gona try and do as you said and translate only what i see.

gabz787878

Aug 31, 2020

Is there a guide of how many types of special characters break the game? maybe i've missed it in your guide. I've found multiple like this "\" so it has to be that at least in part the problem and yes im using t++ ALSO what should i should i use as substitute? i did find many \ so i was wondering is "." good or should i just remove it? if i remove a character wont the game brake anyway? sorry if i ask to much im really a noob tryin to learn XD

Last edited:

Puniasterus

Feb 16, 2018
Is there a guide of how many types of special characters break the game? maybe i've missed it in your guide. I've found multiple like this "\" so it has to be that at least in part the problem and yes im using t++ ALSO what should i should i use as substitute? i did find many \ so i was wondering is "." good or should i just remove it? if i remove a character wont the game brake anyway? sorry if i ask to much im really a noob tryin to learn XD
Well sometimes even if you change "" breaks the game, \s, \n, \c, [1] ... those i don't touch if nothing important and as Silentce said make a copy, one original and the translated one to check if anything goes wrong-

Reactions: Silentce

gabz787878

Aug 31, 2020
Well sometimes even if you change "" breaks the game, \s, \n, \c, [1] ... those i don't touch if nothing important and as Silentce said make a copy, one original and the translated one to check if anything goes wrong-
ok thanks i tried for 2 hours last night and never got to fix the bug i have

Meowstrophe

Jan 11, 2020
Hello, thanks for the detailed guide but I seems to have problem when trying to distribute the translation, I already tried to use the same encryption code as the untranslated system.json but the game still refuses to properly load the other files (it seemed to always be the encrypted images first)

Igneel1

The Slayer's Time Is Now
Game Compressor
Jul 1, 2017
Meowstrophe
Just to be clear u need to delete the encrypted files and u have to place the decrypted files in the respective folders for the game to load the images that u have edited,
Also don't forget to to turn the has encryted Images/Audio to false in system.json

H-game lover

Aug 17, 2018
I am translating a game with translator++
RPGM VX but after it I get error when running game?
IMG_20201103_145951.jpg

I only use traslator ++

Silentce

Quiet Eldritch Horror
Modder
Uploader
Jan 2, 2018
I am translating a game with translator++
RPGM VX but after it I get error when running game?
View attachment 885734

I only use traslator ++
If that happens right on bootup, then something got translated that shouldn't have. Probably in the scripts file or a script somewhere in the game. I would wager either way you translated something in scripts that shouldn't be. This is why I don't recommend T++ or batch translation. Because when you do that this happens more often then not.

H-game lover

Aug 17, 2018
If that happens right on bootup, then something got translated that shouldn't have. Probably in the scripts file or a script somewhere in the game. I would wager either way you translated something in scripts that shouldn't be. This is why I don't recommend T++ or batch translation. Because when you do that this happens more often then not.
So any tip for fixing that bro ☺

Silentce

Quiet Eldritch Horror
Modder
Uploader
Jan 2, 2018
So any tip for fixing that bro ☺
First you need to find where the error lives. You can do that easily if you take a fresh copy of the game, and slowly but surely replace the Japanese files with those you've run through T++. Replace a file one at a time and test. Once you start getting the error the file you put in last is the culprit. I would start with your scripts file because I expect that is the problem. Once you find the file, you should check it for errors (Typos, broken scripts tags, translated scripting and image calls that should not of been translated) and make corrections.

The even easier solution is remove all your changes to the scripts file first and test before you even try the above. You shouldn't be changing anything in there 99% of the time and the stuff you do that 1% you have to be very very careful of and know what needs to be changed and what the change will do. So if you told T++ to translate that file, that is probably why your game is broken.

H-game lover

Aug 17, 2018
First you need to find where the error lives. You can do that easily if you take a fresh copy of the game, and slowly but surely replace the Japanese files with those you've run through T++. Replace a file one at a time and test. Once you start getting the error the file you put in last is the culprit. I would start with your scripts file because I expect that is the problem. Once you find the file, you should check it for errors (Typos, broken scripts tags, translated scripting and image calls that should not of been translated) and make corrections.

The even easier solution is remove all your changes to the scripts file first and test before you even try the above. You shouldn't be changing anything in there 99% of the time and the stuff you do that 1% you have to be very very careful of and know what needs to be changed and what the change will do. So if you told T++ to translate that file, that is probably why your game is broken.
Thanks bro i will try

BruceMcGivern

Apr 19, 2020
Any issue or difficulty if im trying to translate a game i didn't directly purchased from steam?

here's the files that can be seen from the folder of the game i downloaded from this very forums:

Silentce

Quiet Eldritch Horror
Modder
Uploader
Jan 2, 2018
Any issue or difficulty if im trying to translate a game i didn't directly purchased from steam?

here's the files that can be seen from the folder of the game i downloaded from this very forums:
The only issue or difficulty would be getting around the DRM if any exists. Aside from that it won't matter.

BruceMcGivern

Apr 19, 2020
The only issue or difficulty would be getting around the DRM if any exists. Aside from that it won't matter.
Not familiar with the meaning of DRM (X

which folder should i show you to see if the DRM files exist :p ?

the game is cheap tho but the problem now is that i don't rely atm with the money to acquire it :/

Silentce

Quiet Eldritch Horror
Modder
Uploader
Jan 2, 2018
DRM is Digital right management software. It is what is supposed to prevent piracy. it won't be an issue if you yourself are going to play the translation and you will never share the game with anyone else. If you downloaded the game from a site and it works then DRM isn't a problem it was taken care of already or never existed.

BruceMcGivern

Apr 19, 2020
DRM is Digital right management software. It is what is supposed to prevent piracy. it won't be an issue if you yourself are going to play the translation and you will never share the game with anyone else. If you downloaded the game from a site and it works then DRM isn't a problem it was taken care of already or never existed.
Thanks!

in conclusion i should just follow the steps on your guide by using the proper launcer executable and im up to go right?

Edit: i just literally someone who follows the rules by the book so if i couldn't see the normal executable i kinda feel lost and in doubt so yeah :p that!
and im just want to share such translation to someone else who will confirm the veracity of the translation u know C:? proofreader girl gotta check if its properly translated. so i have intentions to share it but not to everyone in general.

ThisIsMe88

May 12, 2018
First you need to find where the error lives. You can do that easily if you take a fresh copy of the game, and slowly but surely replace the Japanese files with those you've run through T++.
First and most importantly, thank you for the outstanding guide.

Next, it's almost a necessity for any good developer (and by extension translator, I guess) to know when and where to look to check how things proceed under the hood, and not 100% rely on "automatic" tools. Yes, these tools do help a lot, making the bulk of the translation process faster and easy even for a beginner, but often at the expense of precision, as you and some of the people in this thread already have mentioned.

I'd say that applies here, and it's a matter of smoothening out the 20% of rough edges before securing a result that is universally workable and stable. To do that, I'd suggest using an extra tool like , which is free, and proves to be invaluable to me in my every day's work with text files :

filecmp.png

Of course, I'll leave it to your appreciation to mention it as an extra step or not, since your guide is already fairly long, and you might proceed otherwise. Once again, thank you for going out of your way to teach us and share your experiences, in the hope of seeing more translated games in the future (there are still some good ones waiting).

H-game lover

Aug 17, 2018
Guys can anyone provide me "MeCab" Which includes in third party apps directory in translator++ latest version I am getting problem installing it online
Pls anyone can send me