Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
Fair enough. I did choose a pretty different path from what most would do.
But my point is that if the dev can't write for multiple MC personalities (nice guy/asshole) logically. Then he shouldn't give us the option to be either and just stick to one consistent and meaningful personality.
I didn't agree with what you said before, but this I can get behind. If a game lets you act like a dick, there should be consequences to acting like a dick. I wouldn't know how this game is at that, because I don't play it that way. If the girls get pushy I want MC to stand up for himself, but without being a dick about it. (Sometimes it seems like writing strong characters without them being dicks/bitches is harder than it really ought to be)

As unlock this moment?
That's the final event in Rae's 'trust' path. It might be 3.1 only, I'm not sure (I skipped 3.0).

Reactions: RedPyrate

ZanithOne

A House in the Rift dev
Game Developer
Oct 2, 2018
Fair enough. I did choose a pretty different path from what most would do.
But my point is that if the dev can't write for multiple MC personalities (nice guy/asshole) logically. Then he shouldn't give us the option to be either and just stick to one consistent and meaningful personality.
I agree there is a problem. At first, I wanted to make two or more (nice/asshole/neutral) routes for each girl, and some of the earlier writing reflects that. But that would mean that I'd have to do multiple versions of each event (or separate events for each major route), and many people won't ever see those. With my approach to doing renders (almost everything is done with uniuque scenes) this is just too much work, and the game is short as it is, so I mostly scrapped this idea. I may rewrite some events, but basically, the "nice guy" route is canon. That said, I agree that more options like telling Rae to fuck off with dishes are needed, it gets better in later events.

About the tone of the game, I never thought it comes across as too serious :unsure: Something to ponder on, sure, but it's supposed to be lighthearted. And the succubus aura plot device, wellllll, the aura isn't that strong.

I unlocked almost everything.
But, precisely this moment there.
This is from v0.3.1. It's in beta currently, will become public in about a day.

Reactions: fullarsenal

ZanithOne

A House in the Rift dev
Game Developer
Oct 2, 2018
I hate playing as an jerk but now I kind of want to see what you have been talking about....
Ugh... maybe later I'll start the game and playthough as a jerk.
I hate playing as a jerk too :) That's why the "canon" is nice-guy-ish. Although writing a jerk is fun to in its own way.

Yanagi-san

Jun 20, 2019
I agree there is a problem. At first, I wanted to make two or more (nice/asshole/neutral) routes for each girl, and some of the earlier writing reflects that. But that would mean that I'd have to do multiple versions of each event (or separate events for each major route), and many people won't ever see those. With my approach to doing renders (almost everything is done with uniuque scenes) this is just too much work, and the game is short as it is, so I mostly scrapped this idea. I may rewrite some events, but basically, the "nice guy" route is canon. That said, I agree that more options like telling Rae to fuck off with dishes are needed, it gets better in later events.

About the tone of the game, I never thought it comes across as too serious :unsure: Something to ponder on, sure, but it's supposed to be lighthearted. And the succubus aura plot device, wellllll, the aura isn't that strong.

This is from v0.3.1. It's in beta currently, will become public in about a day.
Ah, got it.Thanks))

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
You meditate either in mc bedroom via clicking the bed and selecting meditate or visiting rea in her room in the attic when she is there by selecting train focus, to train with caitline speak with her in the library, I'm not sure about naomi I never trained with her, except for one story even where you meet her in the attic training in the morning.
ZanithOne
I'm confused here. In game it's day 19, I've reached the end of the intimacy path for both rea and naomi, the end of the mistress path for Naomi... and despite trying every single period of the day (morning, midday and evening) and every single day (because I more or less remembered something like this), I never had neither a "meditate" option when clicking on the bed, nor the possibility to train with rea.

What am I missing ? :/

ZanithOne

A House in the Rift dev
Game Developer
Oct 2, 2018
Just published a large State of the Game post on Patreon:
Plenty of info on upcoming versions, general state of development and all that stuff.

Reactions: Hones

ZanithOne

A House in the Rift dev
Game Developer
Oct 2, 2018
ZanithOne
I'm confused here. In game it's day 19, I've reached the end of the intimacy path for both rea and naomi, the end of the mistress path for Naomi... and despite trying every single period of the day (morning, midday and evening) and every single day (because I more or less remembered something like this), I never had neither a "meditate" option when clicking on the bed, nor the possibility to train with rea.

Did you apply the hotfix to the game? There was a bug with the story event that did not let you trigger the dialogue that enabled the meditation.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Did you apply the hotfix to the game? There was a bug with the story event that did not let you trigger the dialogue that enabled the meditation.
Normally I applied it, but I will check, thanks.

Hones

Forum Fanatic
Compressor
Aug 10, 2018
ZanithOne

Around day 5 you speak to Rea about needing to train focus and she tells you to meditate
The next day you have the option to meditate in MC bedroom
And train focus in the attic with Rea
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Around day 5 you speak to Rea about needing to train focus and she tells you to meditate
Yeah, but for some reason, it wasn't triggered despite the fix being installed :/ But looking further into the code, I found that a simple save/load was needed to fix it, so it's fixed.

ZanithOne

A House in the Rift dev
Game Developer
Oct 2, 2018
Yeah, but for some reason, it wasn't triggered despite the fix being installed :/ But looking further into the code, I found that a simple save/load was needed to fix it, so it's fixed.
Do you have a save just before the quest is activated by any chance? (before ending Naomi's search for the exercise equipment) I still can't track the cause of this bug down :confused:

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Do you have a save just before the quest is activated by any chance?
Alas no, your game have a little something that make it goes with the flow, and I almost never saved. Else, I probably wouldn't have noticed the problem, since the fix use the after_load label to correct it.
This said, I tried to understand why it wasn't triggered, but found nothing, else I would have told you, sorry. If I have time this week-end I'll try to trigger it again, but I don't guaranty that I'll succeed.

KingWeWuz

Mar 8, 2019
Was the cellphone girl removed in this version? I remember having to do a tedious test before she came out of the phone and gave the mc a bj.

ZanithOne

A House in the Rift dev
Game Developer
Oct 2, 2018
Was the cellphone girl removed in this version? I remember having to do a tedious test before she came out of the phone and gave the mc a bj.
She's coming back in v0.3.2, had to rework the event a bit.

ZanithOne

A House in the Rift dev
Game Developer
Oct 2, 2018
New free version is live, links and changelog are in the master post!

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
I didn't play the 3.0 beta, so I don't know what's new new, and what was from 3.0, but I've listed the old 2.3 content separately. As we have to play the old content again, I've got a few thoughts about it, plus the new content. Given that I'm basically commenting on the entire game so far from start to finish, there's quite a lot here.
It's quite obvious to us as players that everyone drawn to the house is going to be a cute girl, but at some point the characters are probably going to notice this. I wonder what they'll think of it?
Also, if Rae is still calling the MC 'master', it might be an idea to make it 'Master' instead; when it appears at the beginning of sentences, it's very wrong for it to start with a lowercase letter.

Reactions: ZanithOne
4.70 star(s) 317 Votes