acowasto

Nov 6, 2017
Probably the storytellers who who defined the term "elfin" centuries ago.
Yeah, you're right about the meaning of the word.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Bu that is meaning of the world given by people living centuries ago, centuries ago when people belived ELFS are small creatures, pixies and spirits of unspeakable beauty living in the forests, wells and lakes.
But that was back then, before Tolkien wrote his books, before he made his ELVES and people started using his creatures as base for thier books and fantasies. Of course, depending on the universe, elves are different, but almost always they have something from the archetypal elves.
Now people living for almost a century with the archetypal image of elves by hearing or reading elvin/elfin, elvish/elfish, think of that image, not of those small elves working for santa claus, pixes or spirits of the forest.
Language change over time, words too change thier meanings, as they mean what we agree for what they mean.
I think it is time to add a new one, ar at least another one, meaning to those words. And surely update our own personal dictionaries form time to time.

Last edited:

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
Let's also not forget that elves of different cultures could be pretty different creatures. In some places they were tiny fairies flying around (think Tinkerbell) in the woods, in others underground dwellers more akin to a cross of Tolkien's dwarves and trolls.

But as acowasto said, modern books, movies, or games tend to use Tolkien's mold, although there are some notable exceptions like Pratchett. Of course every so often stuff gets adapted to suit the author's general ideas, but as a rule I'd say elves are not smaller then men in modern fantasy.

Reactions: acowasto

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
In medieval times word "wench" didn't sound so... offensive, nor ugly. It was just a synoym for a girl.
But word "woman" oh boy... Let's just say you wouldn't like the things did to you after telling princess she's "beautiful woman", especially on the court, because word "woman" meant "pig caretaker girl", and you just called princess a "nicely working pig cartaker".
Wench is not an offensive term now. It still just means a "young woman" and also still retains its archaic application to prositutes.
Context is what defines something being offensive, or not.
"Stupid wench" is derogatory.
"Buxom wench" is descriptive, appreciative or complimentary. Depending how you look at it.
But it's not the word that's offensive, or complimentary, per se.
Much like "stupid", it's just a descriptive term.

You're correct that you wouldn't call any upper class female a woman. You'd call her lady.
But "woman" did not ever mean "pig caretaker girl" in English, to the best of my knowledge.
A meaning of "saleswoman" or "market trader" emerged for "woman" in the late 14th century.
You wouldn't want to call a Princess those, either. :ROFLMAO:

As a pig related trivia aside, "penthouse" was a term for a lean-to, used as a pig house.
Having the pigs sleep against the cottage wall helped to warm the stones, heating the interior. So they'd put a partition leaning against the wall, for the pigs to sleep under.
These were called penthouses. Some would argue that these are still occupied by pigs, today. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

RandyPhoenix

Engaged Member
Jun 30, 2018
I stopped playing after saw how bad Orc Lady design was when we saw her first. Honestly i like Orc Ladies and i was waiting someting like Raid Shadow Legends Orc Lady, she was amazing. Anyways i was thinking give another go, so is her design changed?

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
I stopped playing after saw how bad Orc Lady design was when we saw her first. Honestly i like Orc Ladies and i was waiting someting like Raid Shadow Legends Orc Lady, she was amazing. Anyways i was thinking give another go, so is her design changed?
No change.

• Haha
Reactions: RandyPhoenix

acowasto

Nov 6, 2017
Wench is not an offensive term now. It still just means a "young woman" and also still retains its archaic application to prositutes.
You're correct that you wouldn't call any upper class female a woman. You'd call her lady.
But "woman" did not ever mean "pig caretaker girl" in English, to the best of my knowledge.
Ahh... Now I see, as I read my post again, I just forgot to mention it's about my native language and country. :oops:
That's surely my mistake, even if small, yet rather important to the context, so please forgive me.

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
Ahh... Now I see, as I read my post again, I just forgot to mention it's about my native language and country. :oops:
That's surely my mistake, even if small, yet rather important to the context, so please forgive me.
No problem mate. It's all good. (y)
I took it as the English word. Sorry from me, too.

DavDR

Engaged Member
Oct 14, 2020
I believe he's saying the historical accuracy of LARPing is ureliable for anything.
Regardless of elfs or elves.
Yes and I was saying that there is no 'accuracy' when it comes to Elf's, they're creatures from folklore and myth and spanning many different cultures, and like most myth's, the lore is often contradictory and never definitive. In some cultures they were thought to be of a short stature, in other cultures they weren't. In some stories they couldn't bear the touch of 'cold iron' in others there was no such weakness. To say that there is an historical or definitive lore concerning elf's is ridiculous.

Modern authors and game dev's have created lore, for their creations. JRR Tolkien's Elves are different in many ways from elf's presented elsewhere (even in the spelling of the name). As just one of many example's Tolkien NEVER mentioned pointed ears in all of his extensive writings.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
Yes and I was saying that there is no 'accuracy' when it comes to Elf's, they're creatures from folklore and myth and spanning many different cultures, and like most myth's, the lore is often contradictory and never definitive. In some cultures they were thought to be of a short stature, in other cultures they weren't. In some stories they couldn't bear the touch of 'cold iron' in others there was no such weakness. To say that there is an historical or definitive lore concerning elf's is ridiculous.

Modern authors and game dev's have created lore, for their creations. JRR Tolkien's Elves are different in many ways from elf's presented elsewhere (even in the spelling of the name). As just one of many example's Tolkien NEVER mentioned pointed ears in all of his extensive writings.
I think you're reading too much into it. The smiley at the end was there for a reason.

However I did speak about "things we factually know" - which elfs or elves are not (and if you read earlier posts in the thread I brought almost the same examples of how they differ from culture to culture as you did) - and if LARPers don't even get "proper medieval stuff" correct, how could they be trusted on "improper stuff"? And again, in jest, thus the smiley.

• Haha
Reactions: whichone

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018

Is there a reason that you keep using an apostrophe for a plural? It's jarring to read elf's. I keep waiting for the word that's supposed to follow... Elf's what? :unsure::ROFLMAO:
No-one said that there is A (not "an", pet hate!) historical lore. They do not exist in history. Only in fantasy.
I honestly don't care about elves or elfs. I don't know why you are writing to me about them.
Hence me saying "regardless" of them, when I responded about Cartageno's joke.
I certainly did not require an expansion on the subject of fantasy tales, which quite obviously have no "historical accuracy".
Which was kinda the point of the joke he originally made.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dragon59

DavDR

Engaged Member
Oct 14, 2020
Is there a reason that you keep using an apostrophe for a plural? It's jarring to read elf's. I keep waiting for the word that's supposed to follow... Elf's what? :unsure::ROFLMAO:
No-one said that there is A (not "an", pet hate!) historical lore. They do not exist in history. Only in fantasy.
I honestly don't care about elves or elfs.
Hence me saying "regardless" of them, when I responded about Cartageno's joke.
I certainly did not require an expansion on the subject of fantasy tales, which quite obviously have no "historical accuracy".
Which was kinda the point of the joke he originally made.
I don't really give a fuck about what you find jarring. Every time I look into this forum to get an idea of when the next episode is coming all I see is some stupid argument about elves being petite or not. I just put my two cents in, go be a grammar facist somewhere else.

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
I don't really give a fuck about what you find jarring. Every time I look into this forum to get an idea of when the next episode is coming all I see is some stupid argument about elves being petite or not. I just put my two cents in, go be a grammar facist somewhere else.
If you want to find out when the next update's coming, check Patreon or use fucking thread search.

I simply asked the question because I did not know if "elf's" was just some lore way of doing the plural.
Obviously it's not. It's just a mistake, same as "an historic". :FacePalm:
No need to get your panties in a bunch and start behaving like an upset child, lashing out because you made a mistake.
I couldn't care less about your nerd knowledge of elves/elfs.
I couldn't care less what argument you've seen.
They have fuck all to do with me.

The only thing I responded to, was you failing to see an obvious joke & getting up tight with your response, so attempted to clarify what he'd said.
He's also replied to clarify, not that it should've needed either.

Last edited:
4.70 star(s) 318 Votes