ZennyDarkstar

Game Developer
Jul 29, 2023
At what time can I find Lexi eating in the canteen? At lunchtime she is in the upper corridor. Thank you for your help.
Lunch time is over 2 hours... I cant recall off the top of my head which hour she is in there.. but she defo is there for one of them.
I am 99% sure the lunch is 12-14... my memory sucks these days lol

docsteel

Aug 20, 2017
Is there no way to save to file? My browser deletes all cookies upon close so any saves made while playing end up disappearing. Kind of pointless to play if I have to start over every single time.

Reactions: subwien

laegwyn

Mar 20, 2019
I like the idea of the game, reminds me of the early releases of SoaB and so on, but the lack of content is naturally clear with early releases. Maybe you should at least add some MC sex scenes and not just teasing but i understand the slow build up.

Looking at the code a few things are done a bit convoluted but i also see why you've done it that way. But i would add for your own sanity a few more comments into your code (or have them in your own version and hide them in the release version i guess).

Reactions: ZennyDarkstar

ZennyDarkstar

Game Developer
Jul 29, 2023
Is there no way to save to file? My browser deletes all cookies upon close so any saves made while playing end up disappearing. Kind of pointless to play if I have to start over every single time.
I am not aware of a way of exporting the save data out of the browser (or putting it back in)... sorry..
But to be clear, just because I dont know of a way,, really does not mean there isnt.. its just not something I have looked into.

ZennyDarkstar

Game Developer
Jul 29, 2023
I like the idea of the game, reminds me of the early releases of SoaB and so on, but the lack of content is naturally clear with early releases. Maybe you should at least add some MC sex scenes and not just teasing but i understand the slow build up.

Looking at the code a few things are done a bit convoluted but i also see why you've done it that way. But i would add for your own sanity a few more comments into your code (or have them in your own version and hide them in the release version i guess).
Thank you.. and yes SOB is very much on of my inspirations.. and yes the game is still a long way from having enough content to be considered in its league.. and yes as you said the game is in need of sex scenes but at the same time, I want that to be built to.. and so I have to decide between following one char all the way to a finish put to give them the sex scene or to build starting content for all the others..

And regarding the code.. .I got a second file in excel that is an index file where I can log what every variable means.. :)

docsteel

Aug 20, 2017
I am not aware of a way of exporting the save data out of the browser (or putting it back in)... sorry..
But to be clear, just because I dont know of a way,, really does not mean there isnt.. its just not something I have looked into.
Then you might want to get in contact with some of the devs of the other HTML games since Save to Disk and Load from Disk are both staples in most other HTML games and seems to follow a very basic standard format. Looking at the current content in the game it's clear this is still VERY early on in development so better to get a handle on that sooner than later.

LASOMBRA76

Nov 26, 2019
My apologies. I'm getting the character wrong. I'm always looking for Lexi Luna and not Lexi XD. What patience you have with us HAHAHAHAHA

ZennyDarkstar

Game Developer
Jul 29, 2023
Then you might want to get in contact with some of the devs of the other HTML games since Save to Disk and Load from Disk are both staples in most other HTML games and seems to follow a very basic standard format. Looking at the current content in the game it's clear this is still VERY early on in development so better to get a handle on that sooner than later.
So most other HTML games are built ontop of engines that already exist. Mine has been built entirely by me. I wont go into all the reasons why.. :)

I do get that people want to be able to export the saves... and maybe this is something I will develop in the future but (and i know this is not going to be popular with all) but its not someone I really want to include at this stage. (and to be clear, i really dont have an idea how to.. so it would take me some serious time to develop)..

You are right that the game is very early on in its dev and some key features have been added that people wanted (that I agreed were needed) but conent is a big pull for the next update or two at least.. Then I might revisit what else is needed.
***except I have already said also that a walkthrough mode as a new feature is soemthing I would consider adding sooner than later if its popular

ZennyDarkstar

Game Developer
Jul 29, 2023
My apologies. I'm getting the character wrong. I'm always looking for Lexi Luna and not Lexi XD. What patience you have with us HAHAHAHAHA
Oh ok.. so Lexi the teacher is like a machine.. she dont eat lol...
Was there a reason you wanted to catch her eating?

LASOMBRA76

Nov 26, 2019
I was playing the wrong character, so I couldn't continue the quest "Sexy Lexi Texi". Now I was able to continue because I realised I had to look for Lexi. I was playing the wrong character, so I couldn't continue the quest. Now I was able to continue because I realised I had to look for Lexi. I have to focus more on the character and not so much on the actress.

rskr

May 11, 2019
You're doing fine, don't stress it. I think I understand a little of your vision and the madness behind the method and I, personally, applaud it. You actually want there to be a challenge and the player to feel the internal reward/dopamine hit/excitement of figuring out the next step. I think you should stick to your guns on that matter. I don't know why you chose to build the saves the way you did, but we all know exporting save is mostly intended to cheat the stats which defeats the purpose of part of the challenge so I am happy to see you stay firm, there. I like vague hints, myself, though I will admit some were a little too vague. This could be resolved a bit with a more fleshed out character profile about hobbies or the like that could lead us to at least the right place, and timing is left up to the player to figure out. That part isn't too hard when there is only so much time in the day and there are patterns to the npc's lives. I'm sure that part is intended to get more in-depth in the future, based on your work, so far.

A walkthough holding my hand as it leads me here and there is boring, and easily available cheats just make it too easy to give up and cheat... at least right now we gotta work for those cheats... a little bit. If, however, there were a patch, or separate html file with cheats and walkthrough available... or perhaps that's more work than necessary, you are the expert on that matter.

The more introductory quests to build stats and money a little easier early on is a good idea. Grinding for grindings sake isn't fun unless or until there is a healthy amount of throw away content to enjoy along the way so easing that a bit is probably for the best. But a good push in the right direction until the training wheels come off and the whole sandbox opens up is particularly good, especially to a new player.

I know there are limitations on your time and energy, but something I'd consider is fleshing out the time aspects. 15 minute intervals are reasonable, just throw a 15 minute skip time button next to the hour skip for a quality of life function. Then the ambitious one: lots more writing. Conversations. Not mandatory, necessarily, but a little back and forth options the learn more about the family (example). Various questions we can ask, different responses we could provide that could help flesh out pc personality and play style a little bit. I would even bury some quest hints in there but at most I'd give a small chance of getting stat boosts from these side bits. The main purposes would be to provide an additional method to pass the time, flesh out the supporting cast, and maybe provide subtle hints.

I think you're doing great, all things considered, and I wish you a fulfilling experience in this endeavor.

Zuul

Dec 2, 2016
I want the game to be puzzling, to be stat driven and require the player to need to raise stats by interacting with people and objects.
The game isn't puzzling. It's arbitrary. You can intuit your way through a puzzle or solve it with logic, which is not how anything in this game works.

To use Monkey Island as an example, since you've repeatedly mentioned it, the enjoyment of that game comes from how nonsensical the solutions are and the joy of the absurd adventuring while trying to solve the puzzles. There's an abstract form of logic at play in that, and you can figure out how it works.

Neither the navigating nor problem solving in this game do anything remotely similar, there are zero puzzles or challenge in this game. It's purely grinding and chores while navigating a game with no guidance while you do hyper specific actions to progress at entirely arbitrary times. Which is all compounded by the nearly unusable state of the UI.

Also, paywalling a walkthrough in a game that presents itself as virtually unplayable without one is yet another layer on the mountain of poor decisions made for this game. Save yourself the backlash and don't do that.

ZennyDarkstar

Game Developer
Jul 29, 2023
The game isn't puzzling. It's arbitrary. You can intuit your way through a puzzle or solve it with logic, which is not how anything in this game works.

To use Monkey Island as an example, since you've repeatedly mentioned it, the enjoyment of that game comes from how nonsensical the solutions are and the joy of the absurd adventuring while trying to solve the puzzles. There's an abstract form of logic at play in that, and you can figure out how it works.

Neither the navigating nor problem solving in this game do anything remotely similar, there are zero puzzles or challenge in this game. It's purely grinding and chores while navigating a game with no guidance while you do hyper specific actions to progress at entirely arbitrary times. Which is all compounded by the nearly unusable state of the UI.

Also, paywalling a walkthrough in a game that presents itself as virtually unplayable without one is yet another layer on the mountain of poor decisions made for this game. Save yourself the backlash and don't do that.
I agree with you on most of what you have said.. and you are right that at the moment the puzzle aspect to the game is lacking.. I will agree with you 100% on that, and that is something I need to work on to get it to where I want to be.. I should have been clearer when I compared it to monkey island.. in that its my aim / destination.. not current state...
The grind I am working on.. and I am first to admit my biggest error was building the siscam quest (in particular) where you need high level starter stats, without enough lower level content that you play through to level those stats in a more organic way. the last few releases have introduced more starter quests, and the next update its going to be my primary goal to have more early accessible content.

I am also working on some of the "hyper specfic actions" so that where lets say a quest was at 10pm in the bedroom.. and the hint said check your mobile in the evening in your bedroom.. it will now be available from say 8pm to midnight.. So little things like that are being worked on, and so while the hint does not need to change, the specficness of that action is less..

And Yes i do get what you are saying about paywalling a feature, and the backlash that could well (mostly likely) will have..
And so I have not committed to say that is 100% what is going to happen.. as I have always maintained the games public release.. However at the same time, I have to try to balance an insentive to become a patreon / stay as one..
At the moment the patreon experience means they do have some influence over future content.. and they do have some starter stats.. if I was to put in a stat raising feature for instance, then there is no way I could put that into the public one, as it would totally negate much of the patreon perks. But possibly the walkthrough "easier" hints, could be public... This feature is something that I only thought of yesterday.. so what exactly it will look like and who it is open to is very much up for change.. and is why I asked for opinions.. and why I am happy to hear yours..

Again I do want to stress that I really do appeiciate yours (and others) opinions on the game.. and that you take the time to give detailed criticisms.. as it does help me with making the changes that are needed...

Zuul

Dec 2, 2016
I have to try to balance an insentive to become a patreon / stay as one..
I will say that the best way to get supporters is honestly to just put out a good product and maintain a level of communication and feedback similar to what you're already doing, incentives don't cultivate loyal customers but rather short-term or inconsistent ones. Both pirates and non prefer supporting the person, not the paywall, provided the game's worth their time.

And if you want incentives you should make them benign, such as a cheat password for things like money or stats, or reasonably earlier access to releases. Things like exclusive content or walkthroughs tend to not be well received because of how fundamental they are and the exclusivity bias it creates.

ZennyDarkstar

Game Developer
Jul 29, 2023
Need some help... Two issues have been spotted so I have written a quick bug fix.. But before I release it on the front page. I want to double check that it has solved the problem. So I need someone who has a save at a certain point that they want to test this with.

So the first issue is that the Coco first GF quest does not trigger the flirty text messaging after the first date.
The second issue is that the triggers I have put in for triggering the flirty and normal texts with Lib/Sis/Lexi/Coco are at points in the game that if you are loading an old save werent there when you did those bits.. I thought I had caught all the triggers for new content but I think I missed a few.. So anyone who had already got to the end of the first gf quest and loaded the old save, will not have triggered the flirt text to progress...

So basically no one has been able to progress to the coco second date..
My fix is to release a v0.351... This will recognise your v0.35 as an old save.. and run it through the merge function which now checks for progress in quests and sets triggers..

So as long as you didnt have any issue when you loaded an old save before then this will just work the same..

What I am asking is for someone who have completed the first date with coco, can check in the 35 version if they are able to send her a flirty text (i expect not).. Save at that point.. then replace your html with the one in this link.. and load the same save..
What you should find is that you have that extra feature....

If there is anyone who has only used an old save, and had completed the bookworm before and or lexi texi then you should find this opens a new feature also.

Thanks in advance for anyone who tries this.. I will put it on the front page once Im 100% sure it works

bc_legolas

Mar 28, 2020
Trying to load 0.35 old save in 0.351 gives me this error in the browser log, and won't load the save

Code:
Uncaught TypeError: $testArray[17][37] is undefined
mergedata file:///C:/Users/phoenix/Downloads/newgames/Lifelived/lifelived.html:1210
    loaddata file:///C:/Users/phoenix/Downloads/newgames/Lifelived/lifelived.html:1226
    onclick file:///C:/Users/phoenix/Downloads/newgames/Lifelived/lifelived.html:1

ZennyDarkstar

Game Developer
Jul 29, 2023
Trying to load 0.35 old save in 0.351 gives me this error in the browser log, and won't load the save

Code:
Uncaught TypeError: $testArray[17][37] is undefined
mergedata file:///C:/Users/phoenix/Downloads/newgames/Lifelived/lifelived.html:1210
    loaddata file:///C:/Users/phoenix/Downloads/newgames/Lifelived/lifelived.html:1226
    onclick file:///C:/Users/phoenix/Downloads/newgames/Lifelived/lifelived.html:1
Thanks.. Can I ask a few questions..
what browser are you using...
did you load a old save into the v0.35 successfully previously (so have you used the v0.35 load from an old save successfully before)

ZennyDarkstar

Game Developer
Jul 29, 2023
Thanks.. Can I ask a few questions..
what browser are you using...
did you load a old save into the v0.35 successfully previously (so have you used the v0.35 load from an old save successfully before)
Ok I got it .. I can see the error... Going to rerelease the patch now

ZennyDarkstar

Game Developer
Jul 29, 2023
Ok so this should be the now working version of the v0.351 update

2.40 star(s) 18 Votes