Lynx123

Jun 4, 2019
It is so strange to me, because people rightly get mad about plagiarism/theft when the offender is profiting a decent amount from it. But the dev clearly has put in plenty of hours (especially since he claims to be an amateur) making the game and editing the sprites, I am 99% sure if he got a minimum wage job or just did food delivery, in the same amount of hours needed to make this game, he would earn a lot more money.

It is wrong but the dude is getting very little/nothing out of the stolen art (I wouldn't say plagiarism since he outright admits to stealing).

• Thinking Face
Reactions: _dit

axelxz

Jul 23, 2017
Because...making a fan game still takes money and effort?
when you use your own materials instead of Photoshop remake
It is so strange to me, because people rightly get mad about plagiarism/theft when the offender is profiting a decent amount from it. But the dev clearly has put in plenty of hours (especially since he claims to be an amateur) making the game and editing the sprites, I am 99% sure if he got a minimum wage job or just did food delivery, in the same amount of hours needed to make this game, he would earn a lot more money.

It is wrong but the dude is getting very little/nothing out of the stolen art (I wouldn't say plagiarism since he outright admits to stealing).
but nevertheless he receives or tries to gain monetary benefit from it. his work from patreon is a frankenstein mess

I'm just asking, if you were an artist or a developer, what would you think\do when your project became part of another without your participation. I am sure that the reaction would not take long to wait.

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face

Lynx123

Jun 4, 2019
когда вы используете свои собственные материалы, а не Photoshopremake

but nevertheless he receives or tries to gain monetary benefit from it. his work from patreon is a frankenstein mess

I'm just asking, if you were an artist or a developer, what would you think\do when your project became part of another without your participation. I am sure that the reaction would not take long to wait.
Fair, I guess I have decided to view the money he gets as attributed to the parts that are his own effort, making the stories and the game code. (Maybe the sprite editing)

I view his patreon as closer to a tip jar, I would be a lot more offended if he has malicious intentions, posting a significant portion of his "work" exclusively behind a paywall. Right now it just looks like a passion project with some desire for extra cash (I assume this guy is young and is unemployed/student, hence I wouldn't judge too harshly about wanting a bit of money from passion projects).
In regards, to the quality of his work, what do you expect from an amateur editing sprites... If he was actually making good quality content, I would be more offended that he is stealing the art.

If someone was using my art in his passion project and he maybe gets $50 from it at best (I believe it is closer to $25) and he also is upfront about the stealing? Whatever it is small, not like he had malicious intent, I can't imagine a scenario he does much better than this. If the offender was perfectly capable of doing the art on their own and/or doing it solely for the money, then I would get offended and take action. Hypothetically if he posted in the comics section with a slide show of just the edited sprites, with zero story, I would also agree that he should not have a patreon and SR7 should take him down.

Edit: I made an assumption about axelxz, which I regret, hence I am removing that part.

Last edited:

RandomMilf

Oct 20, 2019
I don't quite understand why some people here are equating piracy to asset theft, as if they were on the same level of "bad behaviour."

But regardless of that, the dev created this game knowing full well it used stolen assets, they should expect this sort of backlash from it. It doesn't matter whether it's logical or not, if you decide to play with fire, expect getting burnt. The same can be said about piracy, if you want to bring it to the conversation. If you pirate games and talk about it, you can expect non-pirates to shame you for it.

That being said, I understand why it is enticing for a developer who struggles on making assets to choose this option, as it solves their biggest problem, but they need to understand the consequences of doing so, otherwise they may never learn to move away from it and will keep asset flipping on every game they make. Hopefully the dev learned enough from this, both from this side and from the development side, to then venture into creating games with their own assets.

Also, while this site has pirated content, it also has other uses other than piracy. This site is great to publicize and discover games, which is why some devs post their games here, on a piracy website. They do so because there's people here like me, who use this website mostly for it's discoverability aspect, and support (some of) the devs anyway.

axelxz

Jul 23, 2017
Fair, I guess I have decided to view the money he gets as attributed to the parts that are his own effort, making the stories and the game code. (Maybe the sprite editing)

I view his patreon as closer to a tip jar, I would be a lot more offended if he has malicious intentions, posting a significant portion of his "work" exclusively behind a paywall. Right now it just looks like a passion project with some desire for extra cash (I assume this guy is young and is unemployed/student, hence I wouldn't judge too harshly about wanting a bit of money from passion projects).
In regards, to the quality of his work, what do you expect from an amateur editing sprites... If he was actually making good quality content, I would be more offended that he is stealing the art.

If someone was using my art in his passion project and he maybe gets $50 from it at best (I believe it is closer to $25) and he also is upfront about the stealing? Whatever it is small, not like he had malicious intent, I can't imagine a scenario he does much better than this. If the offender was perfectly capable of doing the art on their own and/or doing it solely for the money, then I would get offended and take action. I suspect that what we really differ on is that I genuinely think he is adding value beyond the stolen art, making up the stories and coding the game does add value, hypothetically if he posted in the comics section with a slide show of just the edited sprites, with zero story, I would also agree that he should not have a patreon and SR7 should take him down.
what kind of crap is this?

• Thinking Face

jodike

Oct 14, 2017
Plagiarism and outright theft are encouraged: what could be better. _dit If this is a fan job, then why do you need money?
quite rich how you people are dickriding for Gunsmoke when he is also using characters from a universe he doesnt own nor has permission to use while also making money from it.
And yet you are here crying that someone uses those assets as well.

axelxz

Jul 23, 2017
quite rich how you people are dickriding for Gunsmoke when he is also using characters from a universe he doesnt own nor has permission to use while also making money from it.
And yet you are here crying that someone uses those assets as well.
he doesn't look like robin hood to return the money to the franchise owner.
"using characters from a universe he doesnt own" "using characters from "SU" @Gunsmoke"
differences?

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face

h3avenw0rd

Jun 7, 2017
Just going to point out the obvious, but asset flipping/editing is still going to be liable for your patreon to be taken down by the original artist/patreon, especially when you don't have permission (crediting =/= permission).

If you're going to the effort of combining multiple art, you might as well start drawing your own instead of frankensteining them together via tracing/copying.

When you make your own art via actual drawing, even if the style is similar there's less ground for the original artists to go after you via dmca/etc.

Moral issues aside, you don't have fair use on your side in cases like this when it's very recognizable so you're risking a lot for very little.

Whatever your next step is, wish you luck but hopefully more fully original content can better showcase your skills.

harem.king

Aug 16, 2023
And piracy is still piracy and yet you're still on this website.
it is not about morality.
generally speaking games with stolen assets are poor quality cash grabs which tend to be atrociously poor in quality. (except for when they are a fan remake designed to fix the original game being grindy hell with good art)
people have learned to notice this pattern and have started to associate all stolen art games with trash.

... however, the original "game" in this case is literally just a gallery pretending to be a game. so the bar is set very low. this might actually have the potential to be better than the game whose art it rips off.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: _dit and Irad

axelxz

Jul 23, 2017
it is not about morality.
generally speaking games with stolen assets are poor quality cash grabs which tend to be atrociously poor in quality. (except for when they are a fan remake designed to fix the original game being grindy hell with good art)
people have learned to notice this pattern and have started to associate all stolen art games with trash.

... however, the original "game" in this case is literally just a gallery pretending to be a game. so the bar is set very low. this might actually have the potential to be better than the game whose art it rips off.
Really? After all these years, you are telling him to leave "we don't need you, but we will use your assets to create "new games" with a """better story""""?

Fapokso

Jan 16, 2020
this might actually have the potential to be better than the game whose art it rips off.
Just say you like this version of the game because it features some girl you like :ROFLMAO: it's less embarrassing then saying you think the original "game" is bad but this is better because... it just is!

DedL0l

May 24, 2020
Man i havent seen such wide spectrum of 2 groups fighting since the Red vs Blue from Halo all the way back then.

• Haha

jodike

Oct 14, 2017
Man i havent seen such wide spectrum of 2 groups fighting since the Red vs Blue from Halo all the way back then.
I just find the double standard of the Gunsmoke dickriders annoying, they claim this game is theft when SU in itself is theft which they ignore.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: _dit and DedL0l

SteamPunk777

Apr 2, 2019
Just say you like this version of the game because it features some girl you like :ROFLMAO: it's less embarrassing then saying you think the original "game" is bad but this is better because... it just is!
Yo, off topic, but what's the source for the gifs in your signature? Cheers!

harem.king

Aug 16, 2023
I literally didn't play this game. how could I like it?
I said might have the potential because the original is awful.
Not "I love this game it is awesome"

The word "might" means "maybe yes maybe no, I don't know either way."

• Thinking Face

zeranta

Apr 23, 2023
F*cking hell look at these stupid morron talking in the discussion, the game note clearly said related with SU. Get a damn life, since they clearly never try to think before speak.

3.00 star(s) 4 Votes