VN Ren'Py Completed A Summer's End — Hong Kong, 1986 [v1.3] [Oracle and Bone]

4.90 star(s) 36 Votes

Olivia_V

Jun 5, 2017
As a resident of Hong Kong S.A.R., I could say this game had nothing to do with Hong Kong, not form art style of the city, historical events, the character's design, the music, there is nothing 80s nor Hong Kong in there.
Just forget the name and play it as retro futuristic novel, its better that way.
I can't tell if you're just being fatuous or overtly serious...

So, no , no , no , no , etc., etc. that none of these things referenced in the game ever existed in 1980's Hong Kong?

Or are you just surprised that a game made in 2019-2020 as a tribute to 1980's Hong Kong doesn't look and sound like it was made in 1980's Hong Kong? Sure, "vaporwave" didn't exist in 1980's Hong Kong, but it is a commonly used art style to evoke pop culture in the 80's. Or are you criticizing that they didn't use original Canto-Pop recordings whose licenses they probably couldn't get? Or that the game isn't tinged in the sepia of Chinese opera? Or that the characters are drawn to evoke an older anime style and that anime is Japanese? (Yup, I'm sure there was no cultural interchange between HK, Taiwan and Japan at that time, no way, no how...)

Jan 11, 2018
Such a beautiful story... Thank you very much for that kind moment.

Great Artwork and a nice flashback in these times where it wasn't easy to be a free independant woman.

ierichonus

Aug 18, 2018
Art is beautiful, but for me this story is stupid as the story and not interesting as VN. Not cus about lesbians but so much worthless episodes and simple plot.

ilovenudemods

Came for the tits, stayed for the story.
Donor
Apr 10, 2018
Gorgeous art! Anyone know of other female protag games with art of this caliber/style but with MF sexual encounters? Lesbian content is fine for a garnish, but I some meat as my main course, if you dig what I'm saying.

saviliana

Aug 30, 2017
I can't tell if you're just being fatuous or overtly serious...

So, no , no , no , no , etc., etc. that none of these things referenced in the game ever existed in 1980's Hong Kong?

Or are you just surprised that a game made in 2019-2020 as a tribute to 1980's Hong Kong doesn't look and sound like it was made in 1980's Hong Kong? Sure, "vaporwave" didn't exist in 1980's Hong Kong, but it is a commonly used art style to evoke pop culture in the 80's. Or are you criticizing that they didn't use original Canto-Pop recordings whose licenses they probably couldn't get? Or that the game isn't tinged in the sepia of Chinese opera? Or that the characters are drawn to evoke an older anime style and that anime is Japanese? (Yup, I'm sure there was no cultural interchange between HK, Taiwan and Japan at that time, no way, no how...)
Or maybe I was, I dunno, trolling there? But yeah, most of the setting wasn't like that in the mid 80s, many of the neon lights were install in early 90s(back in mid 80s that many of building signs were not neon capable, since that the 2 power company weren't capable to produce that much of cheap power, so unless your business had so much profit, you won't had neon, and back then there isn't that much people got that much of funding, it was changed by the opening of the commurical nuclear powerplant in DaiAhWan), the highway barrier that the game depicted(It was the east corridor road cross road) was not open until 94 (which is a part of the east cross harbor tunnel, but the highway itself was overdue), the country road shouldn't had paint jobs on the ground because the modernize work to country side weren't start until 88.

I am not criticizing about the music, or the vaporwave art style, but I am criticizing of how they decide the clothing, which is not western enough, back then people were more wearing big colourful spoty shirts and jeans, not leather(which is more of the hits of early 90s)

Think in 86 Hong Kong was more like a Maimi in 83 but with japenese late 70s compat car and full of asian face. That is more like it.

Jan 11, 2018
Oh just a question did you unlock all pictures ? Because I can't have one (last page, first line, second picture).

If you have a tips to have it ... It'll be nice !

TY

Zippix

Sep 7, 2017
Me: too far gone for this, but I'll say that this looks gorgeous and fresh (for a retro... xD).
At any rate, nicely done, if I were a lesbian vanilla (art? :unsure:) fan, this would make me diamond - probs.

Jun 29, 2017
Downloaded for the art. It was a great game, even with a lesbian theme. Great atmosphere, very unlikely of usual meet and smash games.

Hananani

Nov 4, 2017
I generally stay clear from the "path of the yuri" but this art is just to gorgeous to behold! Downloading!

Bigfan

Nov 25, 2018
I really enjoyed this short game, even to the point of buying it afterwards from itch.io to support the devs (two cute women btw). There are way too less VNs out there with that art style.
The overall composition of story, art and music is just delightful. If you like something wholesome with a touch of melancholy (regardless whether it is 100% accurate with the historical 1980s Hongkong or not :), this is it.
And while I am definitely not one to say no to some good ol' smut, I don't miss it that much in here. :p

Reactions: Kali_K

T0rah

Dec 8, 2019
The story is awesome and the artwork is breathtaking so here a little fansign (not a pro just did it bc I liked those artworks btw the artist is on if you want )
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Altaic

Jul 7, 2018
This game... it really surprised me! I'm not very fond of visual novels and romance games, but the first thing that caught my attention was the art style. The characters are really well drawn and the story makes you want to know what the characters will say, what they will do... The only thing I didn't liked was the soundtrack. It isn't bad, but sometimes it is a bit repetitive. But it is a really good game with a good story. My rate for this game is 9/10, given my real only critique is the soundtrack that didn't really made my mind.

Hakunon

Apr 28, 2017
I just adore the art style so much. This is really well done! I'm still playing through the game but I'm loving the story so far. I'm definitely buying this once I get my paycheck.

4.90 star(s) 36 Votes