VN Ren'Py Completed A Summer's End — Hong Kong, 1986 [v1.3] [Oracle and Bone]

4.90 star(s) 36 Votes

Twisted peel

Sep 12, 2020
This game is absolourely beautiful.. it's not the type of game you usually see on this site, but this is pure art!

Does anyone have any recomendations of stories/games of the same-ish quality?

NukaCola

Engaged Member
Jul 1, 2017
Does this game have good ending? I tend to avoid games/movies with sad and emotional end and base on the description this game seem to be heading that way.

Deleted member 1044747

Formerly 'decent'
Donor
Nov 27, 2018
Does this game have good ending? I tend to avoid games/movies with sad and emotional end and base on the description this game seem to be heading that way.
Sorry for the late reply.

A Summer's End has two endings (based on your choices):
A (what I assume) canonical good ending and an alternative bittersweet ending.

The story itself is (at least was for me) quite an emotional rollercoaster ride.
I think it is one of the best (if not the best) adult VNs out there - you owe it to yourself to give it a try.

Last edited:

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020
I don't remember in which forum I saw it, but someone had mentioned this game as one of their most favorite visual novels of all time. So, I ended up making a note of it, to try it out later.

Whoever that person was, I'd like to thank them for that. This turned out to be a genuinely heartwarming tale about love and life.

Also proves that no matter how simple a premise may seem, there is so much more you can tell just through the little details. And with the right execution it can truly shine like a diamond.

I'm really glad I happened across this.

Last edited:

Galentein

Nov 5, 2017
Well, i came for pron (probably as everyone), but honestly it was way better.
Such an amazing VN, i cried like a teenager.
I was born at the end of this era, and just feeling it through a VN remind me so many memories my parent told me when they were young.
It just so sad and so beautiful.
Thank you for this, just thank you.

realjitter

Jun 21, 2021
But anyways..back to this lovely VN
At first i thought that it was "just" pretty good.
You know, a well made, innocent, gay lovestory about 2 people with different backgrounds who fall for each other..
But for me it really picked up when the story changed perspective from Michelle to Sam. That was when i started to actually get emotionally invested..

Good, little story, well worth a read...

Nice music, nice visuals...

It's very likely i'm gonna read this again at some point

Last edited by a moderator:

Avakao

Jun 4, 2020
This game is. Wow. The art, the characters, the story. I had such a rollercoaster of emotions that I wasn't expecting. The only small thing I'd say is unnecessary is the option for the "other ending" I didn't try, because it wouldn't make any sense at all, no matter how much I kept thinking about it. And the actual ending that makes sense is so, so rewarding. his is a game that will be saved forever and I will def play again.

Bossk

Jun 13, 2020
this isnt anything special but I wanted to showcase this amazing game in my signature so I threw together something quick and dirty, thought id leave it here in case anyone else loved this story as much as me and wanted to give it more exposure.

ezgif.com-gif-maker (2).gif ezgif.com-gif-maker (3).gif

Deleted member 1044747

Formerly 'decent'
Donor
Nov 27, 2018
The only small thing I'd say is unnecessary is the option for the "other ending" I didn't try, because it wouldn't make any sense at all, no matter how much I kept thinking about it.
I respectfully disagree.

Michelle is characterised as someone who is strongly affected by her upbringing, a woman who is used to suppress her emotions and desires.

The "other" ending shows the outcome of what would happen if she didn't overcome these internalised convictions.

I think it's a nice addition and nobody is forced to play towards this ending.

Personally, I went for the "other" ending first in order to enjoy the canonical ending even more.

Last edited:
Reactions: jufot

code991

Aug 21, 2021
What a beautiful and amazing little "game"

I am so glad i finally played this.

This is art. The writing, the romance, the artwork ... just wow.

Bloody amazing, beautiful and heartwarming.

I've only seen the good ending. I cant get myself to see the other one and possibly ruin my memory of this amazing story.

Anyone got any recommendations of similar vns? I want more of this!

Last edited:

Deleted member 1044747

Formerly 'decent'
Donor
Nov 27, 2018
What a beautiful and amazing little "game"...
Agreed.

And regarding recommendations:
I checked a lot of visual novels and games on this site - unfortunately (?) A Summer's End is one of a kind.
There's no other lesbian love story I came across with such a perfect blend of visuals, music and writing.

Your best bet is waiting for a new VN by the same authors which - to my knowledge - is already in the making.

If I had to recommend a VN with similar good writing and atmosphere, it would probably be
https://f95zone.to/threads/one-last-salty-kiss-v1-2-1-fullmontis.29036/.

You can download the latest version on itch.io (naming your own price):

Like A Summer's End it's romantic rather than explicit. It stars a male MC, though.
And keep your handkerchief ready - it's sad (but beautiful).

Last edited:
  • Red Heart
Reactions: code991

code991

Aug 21, 2021
Agreed.

And regarding recommendations:
I checked a lot of visual novels and games on this site - unfortunately (?) A Summer's End is one of a kind.
There's no other lesbian love story I came across with such a perfect blend of visuals, music and writing.

Your best bet is waiting for a new VN by the same authors which - to my knowledge - is already in the making.

If I had to recommend a VN with similar good writing and atmosphere, it would probably be
https://f95zone.to/threads/one-last-salty-kiss-v1-2-1-fullmontis.29036/.

You can download the latest version on itch.io (naming your own price):

Like A Summer's End it's romantic rather than explicit. It stars a male MC, though.
And keep your handkerchief ready - it's sad (but beautiful).
I will definitely check it out. The artstyle might not be what i go for usually but ive said the same thing about A Summer's End and look how that turned out hahah

Thank you for your suggestion! ... and for letting me know that there is another game coming from the same author, cant wait to see it :D

Deleted member 1044747

Formerly 'decent'
Donor
Nov 27, 2018
I will definitely check it out. The artstyle might not be what i go for usually but ive said the same thing about A Summer's End and look how that turned out hahah
I know. The art style seems a bit "childish" at first glance - which is misleading. You'll see.

Thank you for your suggestion!... and for letting me know that there is another game coming from the same author, cant wait to see it :D
From Charissa's and Tida's anniversary update some months ago:

"We want to continue creating stories and we’re pleased to announce that a new project is in development.
Our new story will take place in the 1960s and will explore the relationship between two actresses in a society emerging from great social change."

Last edited:
Reactions: Kali_K and code991

code991

Aug 21, 2021
I know. The art style seems a bit "childish" at first glance - which is misleading. You'll see.
Damn that game. Brilliant little gem.

I figured out the story very early and i was thinking to stop playing because i knew how it would end ... i still finished it tho.

Havent cried so much in idk how long. Im sad now

Gotta find something happy to offset this sadness

Deleted member 1044747

Formerly 'decent'
Donor
Nov 27, 2018
Aww. There, there.

*offers code991 a comforting hug*

To make up for making you sad here are two more recommendations:

https://f95zone.to/threads/our-red-string-v0-9-beta-evakiss.48813/
(Not much lesbian content for now - if that's what you're looking for - but good art, music and an engaging slice-of-life-story from both a female and male PoV by one of the most talented adult VN creators)

https://f95zone.to/threads/dog-days-of-summer-v0-5-0-blackweb-games.43621/
(A pure lesbian VN and pretty nice - if you can see past the MC's sometimes uncanny looking face)

And before a mod starts to reprimand me for going off-topic, I'll take my leave. :)

Last edited:
  • Red Heart
Reactions: code991
4.90 star(s) 36 Votes