VN Ren'Py Completed A Summer's End — Hong Kong, 1986 [v1.3] [Oracle and Bone]

4.90 star(s) 37 Votes

Deleted member 1044747

Formerly 'decent'
Donor
Nov 27, 2018
You're right, the art is indeed gorgeous.

You're not completely right about the lack of straight content since there is a straight route and ending - although it's obviously neither the main route nor the default "good" ending.

However, it's futile to complain about a lack of straight content in a visual novel made by lesbian creators which is meant to be a lesbian love story from the get-go - I mean, the overview and preview pics couldn't be more obvious, right? ;)

Sedid

Donor
Game Developer
Nov 27, 2018
You're right, the art is indeed gorgeous.

You're not completely right about the lack of straight content since there is a straight route and ending - although it's obviously neither the main route nor the default "good" ending.

However, it's futile to complain about a lack of straight content in a visual novel made by lesbian creators which is meant to be a lesbian love story from the get-go - I mean, the overview and preview pics couldn't be more obvious, right? ;)
Well, I'm not complaining. I just wish it had this kind of avoidable content to allow more people to enjoy what seems to be a nice game with a special atmosphere.
I know wishing that won't change anything. I haven't seen a game with straight content & this kind of art, that's all.

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: RNDM

realjitter

Jun 21, 2021
I haven't seen a game with straight content & this kind of art, that's all.
I'm sure someone can recommend you a good, straight VN. Just glancing over at VNDB.com, there's gotta be some good ones with similar art style.

Deleted member 1044747

Formerly 'decent'
Donor
Nov 27, 2018
Well, I'm not complaining. I just wish it had this kind of avoidable content to allow more people to enjoy what seems to be a nice game with a special atmosphere.
I know wishing that won't change anything. I haven't seen a game with straight content & this kind of art, that's all.
I agree with you that it would be nice to have more visual novels with this kind of (beautiful) art (and let's not forget about the well written characters and story - it's the full package that makes A Summer's End such an extraordinary VN).

However, it just feels a bit weird to voice your sentiment regarding more straight content (regardless if avoidable or not) particularly in this thread.

I mean, would you enter a gay bar and say:
"I just wish some / more of you beautiful people were straight."
A bit out of place, don't you think? :)

Again, A Summer's End was never meant to be anything but a lesbian love story.
I really appreciate that the creators went the extra mile and even added an alternative straight (or should I rather say: suppressed gay?) ending - I don't think anyone was expecting this kind of content.

Last edited:

Excalibur

Jul 11, 2017
Whether it's a lesbian love story or not, it is beautifully written and beautifully crafted. The characters are gorgeous which seems funny to say about drawings. The artwork is some of the best I have seen for this type of visual novel. Wonderfully done. You should be proud of what you have created.

Hortencio

Dec 2, 2022
Lesbian only content or not, it's irrelevant, it's a great game. I do hope they make more similar games like this one, and set on the 80's too:)

Gato21

Oct 16, 2021
My only gripe with this game was that there was too much exposition at the beginning of the game. I am a firm believer in the "show" don't "tell" when it comes to visual media, which almost led me not give this wonderful nostalgic game a chance.

Hortencio

Dec 2, 2022
My only gripe with this game was that there was too much exposition at the beginning of the game. I am a firm believer in the "show" don't "tell" when it comes to visual media, which almost led me not give this wonderful nostalgic game a chance.
Agreed, there were very long dialogues over little things on the first part of the game, way too long. But I'm glad I sticked with it, it was a great visual novel. Unfortunately I didn't saw any new games coming out from this dev, and this game is already a couple years old.

Gato21

Oct 16, 2021
Agreed, there were very long dialogues over little things on the first part of the game, way too long. But I'm glad I sticked with it, it was a great visual novel. Unfortunately I didn't saw any new games coming out from this dev, and this game is already a couple years old.
From what I could tell from their homepage, something is in the pipeline.
'In The Ocean I Learned To Float'

Last edited:

Bossk

Jun 13, 2020
This was very sweet. I almost feel bad about pirating it... Might just have to go and support the devs.
Definitely looking forward to their next project.
Funny story, I played it here and actually went and bought it on steam afterwards because the creators deserve the money for this wonderful story.

leequangson

Oct 27, 2018
A Summer's End — Hong Kong, 1986 has an amazing story. But what is even more amazing is that 3 years later on June 4th, nothing happened

Avalanche81

Nov 1, 2022
I found this story heartwarming, while i do not understand the experience as people that go through it, it felt believable, romantic and coming to terms and i loved the ending, it was awesome.

4.90 star(s) 37 Votes