Fan Art A Wife And Mother Fan Art

4.60 star(s) 11 Votes

Old Dog

Message Maven
Donor
Jul 20, 2017
I am the same, I prefer the G3 models, partially because the original assets are usually G3 and I am just more used to working with them.
I do myself and I think that all my AwAm characters are G-3.
I did upgrade Alyssa from a G-3 to a G-8 but I didn't like how it turned out

Reactions: Night Hacker

m4dsk1llz

Engaged Member
Feb 13, 2019
I could probably do a side by side of a G3 and G8 conversion and most people would be hard pressed to tell any difference. But I have done that before in other threads and it is a waste of time. People will still gravitate to the generation they are more comfortable with and have bigger asset libraries for.

I have no issues with that, we should all work with what we are familiar, we all benefit because we all get to see more fan art.

naughtynafz

Creating "Aiden's Revenge"
Game Developer
Dec 2, 2019
I have a G-8 version of Sophia but I always use the G-3 version as I think it looks better and I will continue to use my Patricia(G-3) but this is just my personal taste
the problem is maximum animations I find is for genesis 8 characters. thats why I prefer to work with gen8. otherwis I think gen 3 is good.

Mikk88

Jun 6, 2018
Hey everyone! Working on a new thing. Another adventure for our lustful lady... this time with a friend. Some of you may recognize her. Here is part 1!

A Date with Linda
v0.1
View attachment 1962411
View attachment 1962399 View attachment 1962400

I won't spoil it with too many previews. Not that there is a lot spoil... yet. More to come!

Download

P.S. Every time I do something like this, I always get a little heat from some of the more die-hard fans of the game. Just remember, this is its own story, may or may not connect entirely with the original game. It's the multiverse era! Think of it as "What If?" and just enjoy it. Plus I do it for free, for fun. But as always, constructive criticism is welcome.

Also, I don't know how to post this in the Download - Games section. If anyone can and cares to, please do share it there. I certainly don't mind sharing with a larger audience.
I curious how it will continue ;)

Reactions: Ryan AI 69

m4dsk1llz

Engaged Member
Feb 13, 2019
I don't really understand the reason to stick with G3 when G8 figures will auto-fit almost all the G3 clothing with no issues. Some hair that is G3 only can be a problem, but there are work-arounds for this. Also pretty much every morph available for G3 are already available for G8. All G3 textures can be used as is with G8 except for eyelash morphs. There are more aniBlocks, if you use them, for G8. I suspect that we will see less and less G3 new stuff in the future.

Conversions are getting better and even if you use HD morphs for G3, all and more are available for G8 and perform identically. This alone can make the stupid DAZ placed limitation of only being able to import at base resolution almost an insignificant limitation.

Moving into G8.1 is more difficult as the UV map is different, and the face posing is built differently.

Maybe someone here would be willing to explain to me why someone should stay with G3? Please explain it like I am a five year old.

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: Alea iacta est

Devil3D

Aug 10, 2021
I don't really understand the reason to stick with G3 when G8 figures will auto-fit almost all the G3 clothing with no issues. Some hair that is G3 only can be a problem, but there are work-arounds for this. Also pretty much every morph available for G3 are already available for G8. All G3 textures can be used as is with G8 except for eyelash morphs. There are more aniBlocks, if you use them, for G8. I suspect that we will see less and less G3 new stuff in the future.

Conversions are getting better and even if you use HD morphs for G3, all and more are available for G8 and perform identically. This alone can make the stupid DAZ placed limitation of only being able to import at base resolution almost an insignificant limitation.

Moving into G8.1 is more difficult as the UV map is different, and the face posing is built differently.

Maybe someone here would be willing to explain to me why someone should stay with G3? Please explain it like I am a five year old.
For me it's for the eyes, the g8 eyes for the converted characters look weird.

Reactions: Night Hacker

m4dsk1llz

Engaged Member
Feb 13, 2019
For me it's for the eyes, the g8 eyes for the converted characters look weird.
Yes there is a known difference in the eyes, it is well researched and documented on the DAZ forums. The G3 eyes were oversized by just a tiny amount and when that was corrected in G8 people noticed the difference. There were technical reasons why G8 eyes are smaller but I don't remember them offhand.
One is a G-3 original and the other converted model.

When you convert a character you will always lose something from the original model but below you can see the difference

View attachment 1966764
The loss really depends on how you do the conversion. Note that DAZ artificially limits the import of morphs to Base Resolution (DA's have tools that allow High Resolution importing). My understanding was that this was changed way back in DAZ 4.2, I could be wrong here. Most G3 characters do not use HD morphs, but some do. You cannot 'convert' HD morphs from G3 to G8 as all the current conversion tools use the export and import functions of DAZ, so you are left at Base Resolution. You can work around this if the same HD morphs exist as both G3 and G8, by removing them from your G3 character, doing the conversion to G8, then reapplying the equivalent G8 HD morphs. You end up with essentially the same character, minus the smaller eyes in G8.

In the end, the eye thing is probably the biggest difference. It would be hard for people not to notice if they are infinitely familiar with the G3 version of the same character. I do think if given a choice, personally I would rather work with G8 than G3. I can live with the slight difference in eye size in exchange for a much bigger and still growing catalog of assets.

4.60 star(s) 11 Votes