Fan Art A Wife And Mother Fan Art

4.60 star(s) 11 Votes

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
So, did you even try the G8.1 conversion I did. It isn't simply convert all morphs like most of these are, and honestly I think the Sophia face in my conversion looks better than this G8. :whistle:

This thread doesn't have enough drama!
I don't mind the work other's do. I just enjoy doing it myself as well, it's why I program computers. Not sure what the advantage is to using a G8 Sophia character is when the original game uses a G3 but... it wasn't too difficult to convert to a G8 anyhow. I haven't looked into converting it to 8.1. The face was the most difficult to get right, but I understand why given how much more complex the G8 faces are compared to the G3.

I mainly did it just to be able to know how to do it and discover the difficulties in the conversion etc... to educate myself basically. Plus I like how my G3 model looks and I want to maintain the same settings I did with her as I spent A LOT of time examining the game's images and carefully making my G3 look as close to the original as I could and I wanted to maintain that same look.

I had my G3 and the G8 loaded at the same time after running a script to do the conversion, I then went over each body part and each number setting to make them match as best I could. It was interesting. I haven't looked into going to 8.1 yet.

Reactions: Old Dog

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
I think you have to look at how certain characters are converted from G3 to G8. If you use something like Riversoft Art Character converter (Using Scene Character script) what you get is a character that has all of it's morphs converted also. A heavily modified character (lots of morphs applied) like G3 Sophia has a lot of little defects introduced as not all of the integrity of G3 Morphs translate to G8. I only did my very first few conversions using RiverSoft's tool then completely changed my conversion workflow. It was almost impossible to get a true one-to-one conversion from G3 to G8 using only the Riversoft script. I never used the Zev0 XTransfer the same way, so I cannot comment on use in that scenario.

The second issue is a DAZ self created problem with the eye movements. Seems when DAZ created Base Genesis 3 and Genesis 8 characters they oriented the eyes 180° off and there is a size difference between G3 and G8 eyeballs (G8 eyeballs are physically smaller). All this and converting every slider causes almost all G3 to G8 conversions to look different from one another. They are close, but not exact.

They eyeball orientation issue can be solved multiple ways, the two most common is to reorient the converted eyeballs 180° and the other is to just not freeze the orientation of the eyeballs when you do an ERC freeze on the character morph. Not freezing the orientation will force your model to accept the default G8 eyeball orientation with the existing 180° offset.

Now this is how I fix the issue with models that use multiple sliders. I take the original morphed G3 and export it as an .OBJ file and then use Morph Loader Pro to reimport that .OBJ as a morph. You can also use intermediary applications to do the same thing (Hexagon, Blender, ZBrush) using bridges. Now I am only converting a single slider instead of 10's - 100's. My way still doesn't account for the physical difference in eyeball size, but in any render other than super hi-res face closeups, the difference is not noticeable. A consequence of any morph conversion is that they all have to happen at Base Resolution.

For the most part if you are only going to G8 you should be able to use the G3 texture maps without any issues, the UV Maps are almost identical. If you want to go to G8.1 then a Map Transfer from Base Female UV to Base 8.1 Female UV is in order.

I have been working on finding a workflow from G3 to G8 that keeps as much fidelity to the original model as possible. Without being a DAZ PA and not having access to the HD morph tools they have access to, I am pretty sure that my workflow is pretty close.

Are their better ways to do this? Probably.
Does this workflow result in a 100% accurate conversion? Maybe, Maybe not.
Could it be better with better tools? Definitely.

TLDR; Don't base whether a G8 conversion is good or bad if you use Riversoft Arts Character Converter. Too many variables exist to guarantee a perfect conversion. DAZ management thinks all their users are too stupid to use tools that actually work to create and modify HD morphs. Every conversion has compromises.

I am done with my rant and I need a nap now.

Yeesh! That's more work than I am willing to put into it! LMAO... I prefer the G3 model. What I did was fairly simple and I went over each setting by hand and got an acceptable result. If I had to do more than that, I would simply delete the G8 and use the G3 and be done with it. :)

m4dsk1llz

Engaged Member
Feb 13, 2019
Yeesh! That's more work than I am willing to put into it! LMAO... I prefer the G3 model. What I did was fairly simple and I went over each setting by hand and got an acceptable result. If I had to do more than that, I would simply delete the G8 and use the G3 and be done with it. :)
That's why I'm here to do that work for you. :D:LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: (Sorry, I just cracked myself up with that last line.)

DrDougDoesDOS

Game Developer
May 14, 2018
I think you have to look at how certain characters are converted from G3 to G8. If you use something like Riversoft Art Character converter (Using Scene Character script) what you get is a character that has all of it's morphs converted also. A heavily modified character (lots of morphs applied) like G3 Sophia has a lot of little defects introduced as not all of the integrity of G3 Morphs translate to G8. I only did my very first few conversions using RiverSoft's tool then completely changed my conversion workflow. It was almost impossible to get a true one-to-one conversion from G3 to G8 using only the Riversoft script. I never used the Zev0 XTransfer the same way, so I cannot comment on use in that scenario.

The second issue is a DAZ self created problem with the eye movements. Seems when DAZ created Base Genesis 3 and Genesis 8 characters they oriented the eyes 180° off and there is a size difference between G3 and G8 eyeballs (G8 eyeballs are physically smaller). All this and converting every slider causes almost all G3 to G8 conversions to look different from one another. They are close, but not exact.

They eyeball orientation issue can be solved multiple ways, the two most common is to reorient the converted eyeballs 180° and the other is to just not freeze the orientation of the eyeballs when you do an ERC freeze on the character morph. Not freezing the orientation will force your model to accept the default G8 eyeball orientation with the existing 180° offset.

Now this is how I fix the issue with models that use multiple sliders. I take the original morphed G3 and export it as an .OBJ file and then use Morph Loader Pro to reimport that .OBJ as a morph. You can also use intermediary applications to do the same thing (Hexagon, Blender, ZBrush) using bridges. Now I am only converting a single slider instead of 10's - 100's. My way still doesn't account for the physical difference in eyeball size, but in any render other than super hi-res face closeups, the difference is not noticeable. A consequence of any morph conversion is that they all have to happen at Base Resolution.

For the most part if you are only going to G8 you should be able to use the G3 texture maps without any issues, the UV Maps are almost identical. If you want to go to G8.1 then a Map Transfer from Base Female UV to Base 8.1 Female UV is in order.

I have been working on finding a workflow from G3 to G8 that keeps as much fidelity to the original model as possible. Without being a DAZ PA and not having access to the HD morph tools they have access to, I am pretty sure that my workflow is pretty close.

Are their better ways to do this? Probably.
Does this workflow result in a 100% accurate conversion? Maybe, Maybe not.
Could it be better with better tools? Definitely.

TLDR; Don't base whether a G8 conversion is good or bad if you use Riversoft Arts Character Converter. Too many variables exist to guarantee a perfect conversion. DAZ management thinks all their users are too stupid to use tools that actually work to create and modify HD morphs. Every conversion has compromises.

I am done with my rant and I need a nap now.
I wouldn't call that a rant, I'd say that was a very usefull post highlighting just one of so many nagging issues going on in DAZ. I invested in a lot of Riversoft Convertors and found many were flawed and complained to DAZ several times that they aren't actually working properly and naturally they ignored me and didn't respond. Your are spot on with the "Eyeball" issue for example. There are some characters that won't open their mouths either. Luckily the Emma & Jordi Models don't seem to suffer with these issues.

I will also recommend here that people don't bother using the Riversoft G2 to G8 Character Converters as none of the Texture Maps convert and the people end up looking like Resident Evil background characters.

m4dsk1llz

Engaged Member
Feb 13, 2019
... I will also recommend here that people don't bother using the Riversoft G2 to G8 Character Converters as none of the Texture Maps convert and the people end up looking like Resident Evil background characters.
I only have tried one older model conversion and I have a V4 asset I want to convert but I don't know how and I don't have time to learn how. If someone wants to know, I want to convert Taarna The Last Tarakian from the movie Heavy Metal ( ) either to a G3 or G8 and I found one for V4 but every time I try to convert the shoes fuck up and the model ends up like shit. Even if it is to just convert the outfit and sword. I can find a G8 model that should work (or at least morph one).

4.60 star(s) 11 Votes