Jude6

Sep 17, 2017
Neil (Sam's dad/landlord) isn't on the vote list either.
Could be, but he intends to do the same poll again after the update,for 0.100
So soon?
I'd assume he would do wait to do another poll like this after day 20 - since the game breaks up so neatly into thirds, the First 10 Days, the Second 10 Days and the Last 10 Days

I was thinking the same as Alley_Cat about the Poll being something to do between updates - the top 2 being Dylan & Ellie isn't surprising anyone.

Maybe the poll (and the fact that you can vote for multiple characters) was his way of rooting out which of the tertiary characters people like most.
For instance, I'm kind of surprised that Aiden is so close behind Zac (currently 37 for Zac, 33 for Aiden).

Old Dog

Message Maven
Donor
Jul 20, 2017
I was wondering the same, the purpose of the poll, or what of it once it's closed?.

I don't know, Perhaps he should cull some characters, he has already set storylines to end by choices and maybe other storylines will face the same situation in the future so, perhaps he could or should cull some characters as well based on the poll? or maybe simply just reduce their content a bit more (look at Liam's count and though I'm not a Patreon to know the current situation) he was low on the list so maybe L&P could reduce some content with Liam or reduce the Good Wife route since Liam doesn't appear to be a very favorite among the voters. :unsure:

Is Liam essential to the game overall?
yeah, maybe. To keep Sophia anchored to someone while she does things with the rest. :sneaky:

But is Liam that much necessary since he is not favorite among the voters?
Apparently not that much. :cool:

Then again, yeah he could just be killing time haha.
Culling characters could cause all sorts of problems for the story line and annoy a lot of people.
Sam is a major character and the vote calls for him to be culled,who would replace him?
A vote to keep Logan but dump Julia would change the story line so much for Ellie and Sophia.
Why have a vote for characters that have only small roles,the subway thugs,the janitor,that we know of but you could also include Vikcy,Nat.

Old Dog

Message Maven
Donor
Jul 20, 2017

So soon?
I'd assume he would do wait to do another poll like this after day 20 - since the game breaks up so neatly into thirds, the First 10 Days, the Second 10 Days and the Last 10 Days

I was thinking the same as Alley_Cat about the Poll being something to do between updates - the top 2 being Dylan & Ellie isn't surprising anyone.

Maybe the poll (and the fact that you can vote for multiple characters) was his way of rooting out which of the tertiary characters people like most.
For instance, I'm kind of surprised that Aiden is so close behind Zac (currently 37 for Zac, 33 for Aiden).
Neil (Sam's dad) has no major parts to play in future updates.

• Sad
Reactions: Lukasz1

Old Dog

Message Maven
Donor
Jul 20, 2017

So soon?

The poll is useless and will not give a true representation of what the fans of the game really want.

Alley_Cat

Devoted Member
Jul 20, 2019
Culling characters could cause all sorts of problems for the story line and annoy a lot of people.
Sam is a major character and the vote calls for him to be culled,who would replace him?
A vote to keep Logan but dump Julia would change the story line so much for Ellie and Sophia.
Why have a vote for characters that have only small roles,the subway thugs,the janitor,that we know of but you could also include Vikcy,Nat.
Fortunately Julia is doing better than Logan. I'm more curious how the poll will effect about the upcoming Claire and Marie event, since they're doing only slightly better than Liam and Logan

Old Dog

Message Maven
Donor
Jul 20, 2017
Fortunately Julia is doing better than Logan. I'm more curious how the poll will effect about the upcoming Claire and Marie event, since they're doing only slightly better than Liam and Logan
By what we have worked out it seems that Logan is on borrowed time anyway.

SlimeDroid

Feb 27, 2018
I wish he'd flat out say he's going to cut characters as there's too many already.

Just make 3 routes for the top voted.

Lord_Xanatos

Sep 27, 2019
I'm aware that I don't have all the answers but as for "culling characters", he could just reduce their presence in the game since he has already set situations where a player can end a characters' storyline and that way he'll have more time to focus on other characters the voters are more in favor of them, at least look at it as he said "so many hours during the day" fewer characters or less presence might help him out in some capacity with the development. I don't know for certain but possibly.

As for Amber's son, if you're asking me who would replace him? Then, personally just to answer the question that would be Zac. hehehe Though I don't think he'll be replaced because he is in the what? top 3 or top 5? so he obviously still has a place in the game. Would I end his storyline for good? yeah, but him being replaced? that's unlikely.

As for the rest like Logan, Julia, or the others? again, I don't know. My argument was an elaboration of your comment about "culling characters" and was based on the wondering if the result of the poll will have any consequence or meaning for the development of the game once it was closed and the results were settled. If not, then it's just for fun hehehe.

Dr.SigmundFap

Engaged Member
Apr 23, 2017
I'm aware that I don't have all the answers but as for "culling characters", he could just reduce their presence in the game since he has already set situations where a player can end a characters' storyline and that way he'll have more time to focus on other characters the voters are more in favor of them, at least look at it as he said "so many hours during the day" fewer characters or less presence might help him out in some capacity with the development. I don't know for certain but possibly.

As for Amber's son, if you're asking me who would replace him? Then, personally just to answer the question that would be Zac. hehehe Though I don't think he'll be replaced because he is in the what? top 3 or top 5? so he obviously still has a place in the game. Would I end his storyline for good? yeah, but him being replaced? that's unlikely.

As for the rest like Logan, Julia, or the others? again, I don't know. My argument was an elaboration of your comment about "culling characters" and was based on the wondering if the result of the poll will have any consequence or meaning for the development of the game once it was closed and the results were settled. If not, then it's just for fun hehehe.
I hope this will ease your mind about culling characters. Although, Aiden, Liam, and The Logan's Idiots I wouldn't mind seeing them drown in a pool of fire.

1590980440154.png

Lord_Xanatos

Sep 27, 2019
I hope this will ease your mind about culling characters. Although, Aiden, Liam, and The Logan's Idiots I wouldn't mind seeing them drown in a pool of fire.

View attachment 677038
Ah okay! Thanks very much, amigo!.(y)(y)

I'm not following Ellie's path but I do like Ellie and I do hope she does well on her own or by default even if I'm not playing her path. Maybe one day I will follow Ellie's story when the game is completed and I start all over again from start to finish just focusing on Ellie's path. But for now, I'm just focusing on Sophia & Dylan...the Mother & Son path exclusively (which is my favorite). :cool:(y)

Hahaha, I wouldn't mind either. :cool: :devilish:
(and toss Amber's son in as well just for good measure hehe :devilish::LOL: )

ashitanojoe

Oct 20, 2019
Unlocked

A scene of the ride to the yoga studio. The upper render is my usual style. The lower one the more cinematic I'm working with now.
Just out of curiosity, which style you like more? The last teaser was also in a more cinematic way.
Tomorrow, I'll start the "favorite-character-poll" btw.
View attachment 675966
Lust&Passion
Hi, I was the one who did the visuals comparison between AWAM and another game. Maybe I have nothing to do with your new concerns about exploring a new a look for your game, but I think that I have some responsability to answer you because of the text I wrote. First of all, by no means I was trying to understimate your game, as I said: it has great renders. Maybe the comparison upset you, but I wrote that just because I wanted to praise the other game, not because I wanted to criticize yours. That's why I mentioned the cinematics, which I consider is an unusual virtue.

Leaving that clear, I going to proceed to giving my opinion of which of those renders is better. I know you are always trying to improve, and I respect that, I like AWAM a lot and I know that you have done cinematic renders too, like this one. In my opinion, the first picture is already cinematic, you don't need a filter. What makes it cinematic? That the image alone is narrating us something important, through Shopia's expression you can know that she is thinking over something unusual. And captures the viewer's attention. How was that achieved? Because of the composition, you are given us a middle close up with high shallow depth of field and with a good angle. Besides, you are given us an escenario proper for thinking, a co-pilot seat. For the aesthetic aspect, you already achieve that with the lights and shadows, the contrast generated, it looks beautiful.

I'm going further, you called the second render as cinematic, but for me is more cinematic the first one. I will explain why:

For example, the movie The Tree of Life has one of the best cinematographies ever and you don't see post-production filters in there. It's pure natural light.

DZjwPHKX4AAaAZN.jpg

That's the look that AWAM should have, like your first render, without filters, at least not during daylight. Why? Because of the type of story you are telling. Is the tone of the story (genre) which should mark the tone of the visuals. AWAM's story goes in the line of a drama movie. If it were a thriller, it woud be different, a colour filter would be useful. The same for a period story or a sci-fi one, and so on.

On the other hand, you could say that your second render could work for the sunset time. And yes, it could. But, it wouldn't be proper. Because you can tell that you are using a filter and isn't the natural sunset light. Look at this picture for example:

tree.png

It's not all orange as yours, the characters mantain their natural colour tones. The orange colour isn't given by a filter but for the natural sunset light.

Mad Max Fury Road uses an orange filter, like the one you propose for the second render. But It's an a post-apocalyptic movie, even the idea of fire, the inferno, has to do with the colour tone of the movie.
unnamed.png

Is it more cinematic Mad Max for using a filter than the Tree of Life? No. Two different stories, two differnet purposes, two different tones.

Finally, the most important reason for not using a new filter for daylight scenes is that you didn't use it from the beginning. Changing the colour tone at the middle is not a good idea, it could change the mood of the viewer and the tone of the story.

Last edited:

FookU2

Engaged Member
Jan 23, 2018
I played the game, and everything worked fine...came back to it a day or 2 later, and it now says SDL2.dll is missing. I didn't delete anything. What kinda shenanigans is goin' on here?

3.20 star(s) 461 Votes