pb2eb

May 7, 2018
to be honest..i think Melissa is actually more the marrying type because she is far more desperate to be loved and cared for in a gentle protective manner..Megan is made of sterner stuff..she has issues..but its more about self confidence than being beaten down mentally like Melissa...Megan could survive just with close pals by her side giving her confidence..Melissa would find her calling being a wife to a man who treasures her and treats her with dignity.
Nope, had that marriage and it really isn't that simple. Self-harm, substance abuse, psychotic breaks when those substances interacted with prescribed medications and that's the stuff that's mild enough that I'm willing share. For all its merits this was never a deep game and that was part of appeal. Real world problems presented in a manner that was dark enough that it felt was relevant but with shallow easy solutions that allowed me to pretend that these things aren't necessarily as bad as they seem.

It's a big part of why I called chapter seven cheap, as fun as the characters are this is an incredibly shallow game that takes none of its heavy themes seriously. Trying to feign depth with over the top dramatics and evoking emotion through shock tactics just further reinforces the perception that this story doesn't have much to offer beyond fluff and it doesn't even have that now.

Eerie Entity

❤︎ Victoria Shields' One True Love ❤︎
Donor
Game Developer
May 28, 2018
she is the most perfectly drawn dame in gaming history(well..except for the unnamed hooker in the elevator in DA..she's actually the best..but has no name thus does not count)
Fell in love with her at the coffee shop I saw her the first time, it's a damn shame that she's just a CG character, haha.

Reactions: Deep Thought

Felicityskye

Jan 8, 2018
Yeah, that's my only issue with the story at this point. I remember it was being said that there'd be like 22 different endings, at this point I fail to see more than 3 or max 4 possible ones.
But in either case, even the burning house and one girl dying should've been avoidable, depending on your past choices and all, like you said.
But oh well, we'll just see next month how the story ends in different paths :)
What you're thinking is 22 endings must be 22 unique endings. Which is highly improbable. What is probable is, there could be 4-5 unique endings but each of those unique endings could have slight variations that could be counted as a "different" ending which ultimately adds up to 22 total endings.

Reactions: Eerie Entity

Eerie Entity

Donor
Game Developer
May 28, 2018
What you're thinking is 22 endings must be 22 unique endings. Which is highly improbable. What is probable is, there could be 4-5 unique endings but each of those unique endings could have slight variations that could be counted as a "different" ending which ultimately adds up to 22 total endings.
Hmm, didn't think of that, yeah that makes sense. Like, slightly different dialogue and such, depending on your past decisions. And then only a couple of actually different scenes, depending on your paths and such.

Eerie Entity

Donor
Game Developer
May 28, 2018
Nope, had that marriage and it really isn't that simple. Self-harm, substance abuse, psychotic breaks when those substances interacted with prescribed medications and that's the stuff that's mild enough that I'm willing share. For all its merits this was never a deep game and that was part of appeal. Real world problems presented in a manner that was dark enough that it felt was relevant but with shallow easy solutions that allowed me to pretend that these things aren't necessarily as bad as they seem.

It's a big part of why I called chapter seven cheap, as fun as the characters are this is an incredibly shallow game that takes none of its heavy themes seriously. Trying to feign depth with over the top dramatics and evoking emotion through shock tactics just further reinforces the perception that this story doesn't have much to offer beyond fluff and it doesn't even have that now.
Shouldn't generalize that too much, because I happen to know this girl, who is quite similar to Melissa, known her since I was a kid, for quite the number of years she's been happy and lively and like a complete different girl as opposed to how she was back then, and in large is thanks to her partner.

Sometimes all it takes is the right person to come in to your life and change it to the better, change you to the better, show you that there is real happiness out there and all.

Reactions: Enyos and E.l.l.0

ThunderRob

Devoted Member
May 10, 2018
the first one has the unique nose Melissa has..same shape eyebrows although not as thick and same shape mouth and face..her eyes are wider than M's though...its damn close..lol almost makes me think Dev used model Emily Rudd as his base?

pb2eb

May 7, 2018
Shouldn't generalize that too much, because I happen to know this girl, who is quite similar to Melissa, known her since I was a kid, for quite the number of years she's been happy and lively and like a complete different girl as opposed to how she was back then, and in large is thanks to her partner.

Sometimes all it takes is the right person to come in to your life and change it to the better, change you to the better, show you that there is real happiness out there and all.
Certainly different people will respond to and recover from abuse differently. But ultimately I don't think it's ever an easy process and more often than not those who come from an abusive home are quite good at hiding their true feelings. Melissa starting to open up is nice when it happens but it does take a pretty much a trivial amount of effort on the MC's part.

Eerie Entity

Donor
Game Developer
May 28, 2018
Certainly different people will respond to and recover from abuse differently. But ultimately I don't think it's ever an easy process and more often than not those who come from an abusive home are quite good at hiding their true feelings. Melissa starting to open up is nice when it happens but it does take a pretty much a trivial amount of effort on the MC's part.
Yeah that's true, but it's also a beautiful thing when that happens :)

Reactions: pb2eb

pb2eb

May 7, 2018
Yeah that's true, but it's also a beautiful thing when that happens :)
Agreed and that's why I enjoyed Melissa as a character. But going back to my first point I do think this story has a habit of invoking serious subject matter without fully engaging it which can be fine but again leaves me with the impression that this story is more shallow than many are saying it is.

Eerie Entity

Donor
Game Developer
May 28, 2018
Agreed and that's why I enjoyed Melissa as a character. But going back to my first point I do think this story has a habit of invoking serious subject matter without fully engaging it which can be fine but again leaves me with the impression that this story is more shallow than many are saying it is.
Well, I suppose that's a matter of opinion, or rather, perspective, and I don't necessarily disagree, I just think that it might seem and feel that way because all of this stuff happened out of the blue and what would seem out-of-pace, but it's just that it's only an 8-episode story, so there really wasn't much time to have a proper build-up to these things, so they kind of just happened and piled up one after another. If this was planned to be, say a 16-episode story or 24 or whatever, things could've been done at a lot better pace and really build up on things, explain the stuff happening and all that.
Mind you that this story was pretty much already written to the fullest before episode 1 was even released.

And also, many of the events and characters are based on the dev's personal experiences, and people he knew and their experiences, so he's not just pulling random things out of the hat and see if it works. He already had the story written down, and he's primarily making the VN for himself, it's just a bonus to him that others like it too for what it is, and it really is with the intent to flesh out emotions, connect with characters and make you feel certain type of way, as you should when you care about someone or something and something happens. The whole point of stories, whether it's fictional or based on true story, is to make you feel and think :)

KakashiRei

Apr 13, 2018
Organization of the story was lack on. I know that Dr. Pinkcake a ready create a direction of the story in each episode but tell the story was poor develop. If you read every dialogue, if feel like it jumping place to place. Characters develop was okay at less.

Reactions: pb2eb

zVoidwalker

Aug 2, 2017
while i love the story....i will say..if it turns out to be a "theatrical play" that ends and they all go home blah blah...or ...you end up in the end with Ana as an easy way to escape the trauma..i'll be disappointed...as those two scenarios would seem like a cop-out and huge letdown after many months of being so invested in this...i want something grand that'll either leave me in tears or pumping my fist in joy.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: Enyos and xFroZen96
4.60 star(s) 818 Votes