VN - Ren'Py - Completed - Acting Lessons [v1.0.2] [DrPinkCake]

1. 3.00 star(s)

Deleted member 775229

This review is as of v1.0.0 Android. Significant spoilers ahead.

While this AVN is notably better than about 90-95% of the content involving some narrative on this site and has an interesting uniqueness in its own right, it nevertheless has significant issues that weigh down the unique strengths it does have.

The Good

The underlying genre (psychological drama) was itself fairly unique for an AVN. To the extent this genre was adequately represented in this AVN, was where the AVN drew most of its strength. It presented a seriousness and reality that was a nice contrast to the usual unseriousness and fantasy you find in most AVNs. In this respect, the AVN was distinct and enjoyable.

The AVN was also not gratuitous with its sex scenes; the sex scenes actually felt like they had justification and a point. Moreover, the characters do not have comical proportions.

The Mediocre

The main concrete implementation flaw is the actual characterization. That is, in spite of this being a psychological drama, the characters are rather flat. The characterization is mostly by extrinsic relation and functional roles while intrinsic identity is severely underdeveloped to non-existent.

Consider, for instance, the character of Melissa: we are given that she comes from a broken abusive household, that she likes swimming, is the friend of Megan, and has a drug problem. But that's really about it: she is defined by the relations she holds to other characters and has some fairly generic characteristics that are used on a a primarily instrumental basis.

Other characters appear to be merely playing roles: Dick is the cartoon violent hothead, Peter is the cartoon abusive drunk father, Angela and Hedwig are the "temptations", Rena is the resentful and envious competitor, etc. Beyond these tropes, they do not really have any substance and so are thoroughly uninteresting.

The most developed character outside of the MC (who himself lacks much of one: he's effectively the weak IT guy) is probably Liam, whose cancer arc is probably the most well done arc in this AVN. However, even Liam is fairly 2-dimensional: the crazy friend who is opposite to the MC but loyal to the end and good at core.

The only character I really found to have any complex direction was Ana (the "crazy ex") with respect to an idiotically conceived but regretful act of infidelity and internal emotional turmoil; however her crazy ex archetype was played up to in such a predominating way that this more complex development was effectively papered over and about nullified by actions actually associated with her path and so fails to significantly get beyond the "ex from hell" trope.

The Bad

The most significant failing of this AVN is an unwillingness to commit to a sense of an identity of what it is. Is it a narrative about the inevitability of fate and the need to give up trying to control things and learning to cope with the world? Or is it about a broken character trying to heal and redeem himself by doing right by others, but is just too weak to do much in the real world or that his actions he tries to do right by others are merely an elaborate form of denial?

If the whole point of the AVN was that events just happen (with no underlying purpose) and there is nothing you can do to change them but can only choose how to react to them (as the ending seems to suggest), then why are there rather distinct ways that the AVN can be controlled to end in (nor are they clearly random but reflect consistent and choose-able courses of action)? Why are there courses of action throughout the AVN that clearly result in arguably better outcomes than others in smaller ways that truly last (Rena ending up with Liam, for instance, instead of Dick?)? Why are there virtually no choices about actually internally reacting to events themselves?

If, on the other hand, it is closer to the latter sort of narrative, then why does virtually nothing really happen over the narrative, until a very rushed conclusion? The MC starts out acting aimlessly...and continues to act aimlessly. Melissa starts as a kind of damsel in distress ... and continues to be a kind of damsel in distress. Megan starts as a naive and dependent actress ... and continues to be a naive and dependent actress. Since there is a lack of enduring change over the course of the narrative, and is closer to the viewing of mundane events of life day in and day out, there is a lack of any sense of the character actually changing (or changing things at large), but merely just cruising along day by day until something inevitably tragic occurs. Thus, there is simply not enough development for the latter sort of narrative to really be the case here.

The problem this presents is that it makes the AVN an inconsistent mess of choice and fate: on the one hand, you get some truly meaningful choices that do considerably effect events in the AVN, mixed with unavoidable traumatic events that seem to just happen for the sake of impact. If all of our choices were ultimately negated in some sense and there was only one extremely tragic ending (for instance, Liam always dies of cancer, Megan fails in her acting career / Melissa is permanently imprisoned to her abusive step father, etc.) that differed merely in how the MC coped with it, that would be more consistent with what I think is an intended underlying theme.

However, given the tension between the structure of the choices and the structure of the narrative, what this seems to result in is that whether or not an event in the AVN can be effected seems to be based on narrative convenience, which ends up vitiating the effectiveness of its more critical moments and makes the AVN feel rather arbitrary and cheap. Why can Megan and Melissa both not make it, who are both visibly small and light (even with the athletic trait no less), but Rena's presence coincidentally saves Liam's life? To my best guess, because the former maximizes shock value (on first viewing at least; on later viewings it just comes off as over-the-top shock content that mangles the story to its end) and the latter for some degree of replay value.

The end result is that the narrative loses a considerable degree of cohesiveness to being a string of strewn together emotional devices and setups positioned for maximum impact that lack a meaningfully abiding overall context, producing an inconsistent and futile experience.

The Verdict

While having a promising genre-story-archetype that does show itself in a certain underlying sense, the AVN suffers from significant problems of execution and structure that cloud over its strengths.

3.25/5-3.5/5. Since I can only use whole number ratings, it is closer to being a 3/5 than a 4/5 and so I have to rate it as a 3/5.
  2. 5.00 star(s)

ICameForClio

This masterpiece was one of the first adult games I have played and I think it crushed it with the excellent writing, the impactful storyline and the great visuals. I replayed this numerous times and it was always worth it. Fantastic work on the depth, choices, renders and pacing. I really wish more games had this level of emotional impact while stil retaining the sexual elements that are worth the investment. Thank you so much! Highly recommended.
  3. 3.00 star(s)

EarlTrjegul

Beautiful game from DrpinkGame, excellent renders and story, one of the rare author to really make top visual novel games.
    But why only 3 stars if i praise him this much? Because of the ending, it hurted me deep. Don't get to invested in the story and you will have a good time!
  4. 5.00 star(s)

Amon617

I want to force people to play this game just so they will suffer PTSD like I did.
    Holy Hell. This game was something else.
    Excellent writing. Emotional bro moments. Hot girls.
    This was the second adult game for me. After the first game I played, which was a feel good harem ending game, this felt like kick in the nut. I know the dev is working on BADIK now but I hope to see something like this from him or from some other dev. We need games like this.
  5. 1.00 star(s)

Tremonia

Oh, I really really loved the game. Fantastic graphics and a very good storytelling. At the latest end of episode 3 you really sympathize and feel for the chars. You have feelings for every of them if you're an empathic person. AND THAT'S WHY THIS NOVEL IS THE GREATEST SHIT I'VE EVER PLAYED! There's this fucking die or die situation and it's impossible to get an ending which don't fuck me up.

The dev should know there are people in the world who play those novels to have a good time because their live isn't. There are people who lost their loved ones or had to made choices which rescued one but let another die! Wtf, dude? Put a fucking trigger warning right at start of the game!

I understand why the story is what it is. It's a really good story and I understand the message behind. I really do. But it isn't funny to people who really have to live with the consquences of real happened storys similiar to this. And there are more people on the world to live with such a burden than you imagined in your worst expectation.

I can't give more than an one star rating because all the good things can't repair the damage. Fuck man... you have no ideas what you've done.
  6. 3.00 star(s)

Alfre4u

Just a quickie since there countless fans and reviews, personally found it average and well below DIK capability in every way.
    The ending countless talked about really ruins it above all, to point as far as higher end games/stories it 1 the worst.

It is still a higher end one and therefore not below average.
  7. 5.00 star(s)

Ass Fan

Bro!!!! I only had the courage to make one ending, and I will never play this game again!
    Man if it was to end like this more before the MC morese. Because this is what he deserves,
    What were the producers of this game smoking, to put a damn choice like that in the game???
    I felt like the worst person in the world when the game ended I was literally devastated with the choice I had to make!!!
    If it was for one of the two morer It doesn't matter if it was Melissa or Megan I would prefer the MC to lose both of them and just stay as good friends!!! Never thought a game more VN would make me cry!
    If you can call it an erotic game, because to me it looks more like a story from a book, a novel worthy of Shakespeare!
    I'm speechless and I feel sick just thinking about that point in the game!!! Despite being a game, it's a lesson in friendship, complicity and loyalty, it sure manages to bring tears to tears, exciting and at the same time really funny, Liam is definitely the best, very funny, I laugh a lot with him and I cried too, it will be hard to find a beautiful one well done game like this i was..
  8. 5.00 star(s)

Reykron

Oh boy, a classic, totally recomended, the story was not what I spected, specially at the end, all in a good way and hey we have a varied cast with some sadly unaboible missteps that just help ultimadly to better shape the tell, so nice (y).
  9. 3.00 star(s)

Dropbare

Great start with high potential, but heavily let-down by forcing Megan onto you all of the time (can't remain faithful to others if you want a different heroine), and the later third of the story suddenly becomes a mess.

Liam's a great character. One of the best bros on this website.
  10. 5.00 star(s)

hungneet

I played this after playing BAD so I have high expectation when coming to this game and it really nails it
    Great story, in-depth characters, and beautiful renders (for that time and even now).
    All and all, good game indeed.
  11. 5.00 star(s)

Jimlong357

One of the first games I ever played. A beautifully heartbreaking story about life.

I remember binging through this game and not stopping, I wish I could stay more about the story specifically, but it would just spoil things too much. What I can say it that's the most spectacular part of the game for me.

The visuals are good, not great. I realize this was a few years back. In my option this game of far superior to the creators second game. That's probably a minority option, but it's how I feel.

Please give this a try, it take you through such a range of emotions.
  12. 4.00 star(s)

shmanzu

A kind of sweet man-whore simulator where simulator.

PROs:
    • The throuple path is done surprisingly well.
      • The reveal is especially good and feels almost realistic.
    • The dialogue can be pretty good.
    • The writing is properly proofread and edited.
    • Very character driven.

CONs:
    • The creepy kissing faces. The renders don't look good enough for faces to look good that close up. Also, people tend to close their eyes when they kiss…
    • When you meet each new girl, it does that slow pan thing.
    • Clichés: “oops, the shower door is open”, says MCs name out loud while masturbating.
    • MC is a bit lacking in personality, he is just this nice guy blank slate.
    • Couldn't be bothered to play through multiple endings because some branches are too far back, and I just wasn't that invested in any of the characters.
    TL;DR: Worth a try if you are into the tags, whether you like it will depend on whether you kind the characters interesting.
  13. 5.00 star(s)

VIII_

EN
    I had trouble getting into this game after making their game more recent than everyone knows, because I was afraid of being disappointed. Frankly the mistake of not having done it earlier. I was very surprised. It is now in my top 10 favorite games.
    - The story is very touching and can make you cry. So it’s a young story a little remodeler but it really does the job, and the ending of the story is nice and we don’t expect it.
    - The characters are endearing, I really liked almost all the 'main' characters
    - The scenes of legs in the air are (if I remain objective because the game date) very well done and pleasant despite it dates a little.

I am close to the studio that realizes the beauties of this genre, and I am really looking forward to discover other games.

Acting Lessons [v1.0.2]

FR
    J'avais du mal à me lancer dans ce jeu après avoir fait leur jeu plus recent que tout le monde connaît, car j'avais peur d'être déçu. Franchement l'erreur de ne pas l'avoir fait plus tôt. Je fus très surpris. Il est maintenant dans mon top 10 des jeux favoris.
    - L'histoire est très touchante et peut faire en sorte de vous faire pleurer. Alors c'est une histoire de jeune un peu remodeler mais elle fait vraiment le taff, et le dénouement de l'histoire est sympa et nous nous y attendons pas.
    - Les personnages sont attachants, j'ai vraiment aimé quasi tous les personnages 'principaux'
    - Les scènes de jambes en l'air sont (si je reste objectif car le jeu date) très bien réalisé et agréable malgré qu'il date un peu.

Je suis de près le studio qui réalise les beautés de ce genre, et j'ai vraiment hâte de découvrir d'autres jeux.

Acting Lessons [v1.0.2]
  14. 5.00 star(s)

every10min

What the actual fuck is this art doing here? Like, I can't even believe I experienced that... I want to recommend it to so many people, but like, can there be a censored patch? Successful mastrubations = 0, Successful emotional investments = 12/10. Just fuck man, please make more of these? Maybe a lighthearted ones between these emotional beatings... but also some more emotional beatings please. Going to Patreon subscribe outta pure obligation.
  15. 5.00 star(s)

StevenD90

This is a lovely game. I could never have predicted how much I would like playing it. Beautiful renderings, amazing tale flow, and what a SURPRISE the plot was! I thoroughly enjoyed it. Now to move on to Being a Dik!
  16. 5.00 star(s)

hlrlo

Great story, though warning that there is some emotional damage to be suffered. Soundtrack was well picked to match throughout. Most animations were great but there were a few rigid ones. All main girl routes turned out really well. Definitely one of the better VN's I've tried.
  17. 4.00 star(s)

StultusAnglicus

The story telling in this game is pretty good and i wasn't able to just guess everything that would happen in the story.

I had heard a lot of good things and the ending was somewhat spoilered for me on this so I couldnt ever be fully objective on that bit. However my opinion is that it is actually a pretty good ending, with an interesting twist that most stories wouldnt even attempt.

With all of that said I must say that this game will absolutely 100% rail road you into a specific relationship, no if's ands or buts. You can try to show no interest and pick every option that is just friendly and not flirty and you will still get the same result. MC and the character in question will somehow always end up with the feels. (AKA if you want a different LI you are gonna have to go the scumbag cheater route)
  18. 4.00 star(s)

rorodrigro

play 1.0.2 with a french trad (which explains my poor written English, sorry)

story: 5/5 pretty good story
    characters: 5/5 They are all very well brought up and we can't wait to get to know them better
    sex scene: 3/5 I found that sometimes it takes a long time to get a good one and they are pretty fast
    renders: 3/5 in the average
    animation: 4/5 Very uneven, some are really beautiful and others are really "rigid"
    sound: yes! very good!
    gameplay: 4/5 Many choices
  19. 5.00 star(s)

dratdratdrat

What the fuck man? I had not planned on using these tissues to dry my tears.

I downloaded this game to beat my meat, 3 hours later I haven't even started to jerk off.

This is one of those games where you end up skipping the sex scenes to get back to the story. At first I was crying with laughter, by the end I was straight up sobbing.
  20. 5.00 star(s)

voltairepop

Very good game. I played this after Being A DIK. I can see that the author has come so far.
    The graphic is good, Game has a perfect length and good replayability.
    I really like the story as well. WARNING BITTERSWEET STORY.
    This is a finished game so I highly recommend trying it out.
    I was prepared before going into the game because I hate sad and tragic story.
    I am impressed by the foreshadowing and the mystery.
    The biggest lesson I learned from this game is to WORK OUT get that freaking muscle on and also to learn about what to do when in a crisis situation, you never know when you might need it.