Terix3

Aug 2, 2017
here we go.jpg
You guys really went nuts with those comparisons this time.

Fundamentally if game dev is doing slow but regular updates and has been doing like this from the start i can't blame them. (that is within current patreon model that is shit as i have explained previously). Being a Dik is such a game for me, the dev support skyrocketed over the project duration but he is doing slow updates as he was doing. While i would love that he would speed things up, he never promised faster updates and so it is not right to accuse him of milking when it his success is just result of him doing good job. Naturally being able to find the market, advertise and provide incentives for people to support is part of the business.

Unfortunately i never followed Summertime Saga so i don't know how the project started, if the slow updates were from the start or they became a thing ones the project became popular. But their goals capped at $30k that they achieved in 2018. I know the updates been slow for last two years yet they kept growing despite that - privilege of being in the top? Also we gotta remember that the game is free so it may make people more willing to support. But forget about comparing to the top 10(?) projects they just don't play by the same rules.

Subverse - "throw 2 mil at ... and see what they come up with" that is basically what has happened for FOW. They never did game before and just like you are fan of HS they had their fans that believed in them. Just one more day and we will see what they came up with. (BTW. Anyone can start KS campaign but not anyone would catch 2 mil with one)

Hallow Knight - different game in all regards. Just because it is good game for small funding does not invalidate other games.

Zellemate

Community Manager For HeavenStudios
Game Developer
Dec 13, 2016
View attachment 1105196
You guys really went nuts with those comparisons this time.

Fundamentally if game dev is doing slow but regular updates and has been doing like this from the start i can't blame them. (that is within current patreon model that is shit as i have explained previously). Being a Dik is such a game for me, the dev support skyrocketed over the project duration but he is doing slow updates as he was doing. While i would love that he would speed things up, he never promised faster updates and so it is not right to accuse him of milking when it his success is just result of him doing good job. Naturally being able to find the market, advertise and provide incentives for people to support is part of the business.

Unfortunately i never followed Summertime Saga so i don't know how the project started, if the slow updates were from the start or they became a thing ones the project became popular. But their goals capped at $30k that they achieved in 2018. I know the updates been slow for last two years yet they kept growing despite that - privilege of being in the top? Also we gotta remember that the game is free so it may make people more willing to support. But forget about comparing to the top 10(?) projects they just don't play by the same rules.

Subverse - "throw 2 mil at ... and see what they come up with" that is basically what has happened for FOW. They never did game before and just like you are fan of HS they had their fans that believed in them. Just one more day and we will see what they came up with. (BTW. Anyone can start KS campaign but not anyone would catch 2 mil with one)

Hallow Knight - different game in all regards. Just because it is good game for small funding does not invalidate other games.
Regarding summertime saga:
From my own personal experience, I followed that project from the very very start, and damn I was exited - I cannot remember how often he updated exactly, but it was really often, if it was not monthly it was certainly bimonthly. Lot of content was getting into that game so fast, and he also grew in popularity really quick.
IMHO nothing good have come out of him getting the amount of money and traction he have right now. Every updated are so slow and they are bare-bone.
BUT im pretty sure he can relax and do his 5 scenes over 6 months time, meaning he properly work 1-2 of them, and slack for the rest(im proberly exaggerating a bit) but hell, 6 months.... 5 new scenes.... properly some background fixes and addons, some story and some dialogue - and what 65.000$ per month somebody mentioned... damn
For me its hard to get why people support him/the devs. the way they do :(, but hey its their choice of cause :coffee:

Last edited:

Terix3

Aug 2, 2017
Regarding summertime saga:
From my own personal experience, I followed that project from the very very start, and damn I was exited - I cannot remember how often he updated exactly, but it was really often, if it was not monthly it was certainly bimonthly. Lot of content was getting into that game so fast, and he also grew in popularity really quick.
IMHO nothing good have come out of him getting the amount of money and traction he have right now. Every updated are so slow and they are bare-bone.
BUT im pretty sure he can relax and do his 5 scenes over 6 months time, meaning he properly work 1-2 of then slack for the rest(im proberly exaggerating a bit) but hell, 6 months.... 5 new scenes.... properly some background fixes and addons, some story and some dialogue - and what 65.000$ per month somebody mentioned... damn
For me its hard to get why people support it the way they do :(, but hey its their choice of cause :coffee:
I see, my guess is that most people that supported him during early development aren't supporting him anymore or just sit 1$. But being early, grabbing that top spot carried countless companies to success. And this is no different.
It's also free , most people can find something there for themselves, has good amount of base content. So while he is losing a lot of patrons he is also gaining a lot of new ones. Finally average is 2.5$ per patron so i assume most are at 1-2$ support , so even if its 6 months for 5 scenes it is just 6-12$ for 5 scenes. From that perspective it is not that bad.

Jun 20, 2017
Because art wise it's a lot harder and much more time consuming to build a Fleeting Iris than a repetitive Metroidvania.
You're reaching hard, buddy.

Repetitive? Pretty much every art asset in Hollow Knight is original and highly diversified, ranging from the backgrounds, effects, to the characters. Not to mention they are animated frame by frame and played in real-time.

If that's "repetitive", then I wonder what is a game that uses mostly generic RPG Maker assets and static images.

Heaven Studios did not always average what they have now,
That's why I lowballed the figure in my example.

so you're checking production cost when sometimes you can afford to make an investment but an hentai game won't have that big of a light at the end of the tunnel
What are you even on about? Both games got crowd-funded. I'm talking exclusively about the ineffectiveness of the FI's devs in handling the development funds. How many copies the game ends up selling after release is pointless to this discussion and does not excuse such shameless milking.

comparing the quality of one and the other it's like comparing apples with oranges
Not really. Taste is subjective, but comparisons between assets - related to art, gameplay, or anything else - can be made and in that regard, Hollow Knight displays much more originality, creativity, and diversification.

If HK is too much off the beaten path for you, then take something like Ariadne, Dark Hero Party, and Kings Exit as games that most likely didn't cost nearly as much money and time to make, and display the same attributes I pointed out earlier.

but when you compare the amount of assets being made one has the other beat and it's pretty obvious to know who.
Quantity does not equal quality.

they had previous projects and a backing
Irrelevant. Whatever backing they had wasn't enough to get Hollow Knight off the ground and they needed to get crowd-funded.

Also, officially, Hollow Knight took "after math was done" at least 2 years and 10 months to be made
The idea of a Hollow Knight game was an iterative process and goes back to their 2013 Hungry Knight game jam, but officially, full development on the Hollow Knight as we know, started around its release on Kickstarter, in late 2014.

Regardless, my point still stands: They made more with less.

but you're here comparing a cult game like Hollow Knight with an hentai game so
Nope. I'm comparing their development structure and process, not the games themselves.

Wanna talk about their budget?
Whataboutism won't change the validity of the criticism towards FI's development process.

Let's actually talk about the team that I think is still the leading team on the genre?
Congratulations. You found another development team that milks their fans even harder than Heaven Studios. Here's a cookie for you.

One is making little over 3k while the other is making 65k right now.
And both engage in shameless milking by drip-feeding underwhelming, more-of-the-same content with minor variations.

Oh boy, I can't wait for FI's 10th anniversary when they will release NTR route number 184723 but this time not with celebrities or the bar owner, but rather, get this, it will be a Telemarketer and she will cosplay as Bernie Sanders.

Super exciting and does complete justice to the $3k+ they're sitting their asses on.

I don't even know what are we arguing at this point
I'm not surprised you lost your way in this discussion. You've been trying every excuse in the book to justify their shady practices.

My point is one and only: HS does not do justice to the number of funds they have received.

what's keeping you?
Pride. I hold myself to a much higher standard and could never milk my supporters like that.

If I ever decide to make a game like this, it would be more in the vein of those 3 games I cited earlier.

Last edited:

LoneWolf999

Mar 25, 2017
is the content present in 1.05 automatically triggered after completing 1.02, i.e is walkthrough for 1.05 unnecessary?

Zellemate

Game Developer
Dec 13, 2016
is the content present in 1.05 automatically triggered after completing 1.02, i.e is walkthrough for 1.05 unnecessary?
Everything above 1.0 is "DLC content" - so 1.02 vs 1.05 is just more free-roam stuff, where you need the right stats to trigger the events/scenes or you need to find them. There could be other stuff then free-roam however, like halloween content.

Walkthrough is.... perhaps needed "it depends", but there is none right now - You will either have to find out the events yourself, or ask, or read back in this thread.

LoneWolf999

Mar 25, 2017
Everything above 1.0 is "DLC content" - so 1.02 vs 1.05 is just more free-roam stuff, where you need the right stats to trigger the events/scenes or you need to find them. There could be other stuff then free-roam however, like halloween content.

Walkthrough is.... perhaps needed "it depends", but there is none right now - You will either have to find out the events yourself, or ask, or read back in this thread.
Cool, ill try to follow the gallery for any missing events then. Thanks a lot.

Reactions: Zellemate

Zellemate

Game Developer
Dec 13, 2016
Thanks for the answer but ah it did not really answer the question though? Or can I play with my old save and update without problems because if so then I guess you did answer the question.
You should not use old saves - This is basicly what the game tells you.
The recommendation would be to play from the start, or find a save here on f95(or even ask for one).

Aug 28, 2018
I was wondering, the doggo update is next. Which updates are still missing? Will there be aditional content for the base game or only IF content from now on?

Zellemate

Game Developer
Dec 13, 2016
Another podcast, this time a different type where Starke talks with Advint about his game Council of Lies !
->

• Red Heart
Reactions: Ayame#1Fan

Zellemate

Game Developer
Dec 13, 2016
I was wondering, the doggo update is next. Which updates are still missing? Will there be aditional content for the base game or only IF content from now on?
Roadmap is here ->
And answer is yes ! A lot more will be made for the base game - Only content that goes out of patreon rules will land on FI IF(and perhaps halloween/christmas + a few extra scenes), everything else will be made and added to the base game.

Last edited:

KingsRaiden

Engaged Member
Jan 4, 2017
Roadmap is here ->
And answer is yes ! A lot more will be made for the base game - Only content that goes out of patreon rules will land on FI IF(and perhaps halloween/christmas + a few extra scenes), everything else will be made and added to the base game.
Was wondering, is the Shota twins content dealing with the kids who lose their ball that Ayame gets back or are there new characters coming?

Voilsh

Apr 30, 2017
I finally tried that game after quite a while, since I'm not into ntr with a female pov (I prefer ntr with male pov), but the corruption part seemed sweet, and I had a question :
In the flow chart, in order to unlock free roam, you need both "A" and "B" if I read well, except it looks impossible.
You need to unlock part B in Sato route at day 19, but also part A in Melvin route at day 25.
How can you unlock 2 different things in 2 exclusive routes?

Edit : ok, looking at it more, you seem to need to switch to sato route at day 10, then switch to garcias route at day 15/16, then go to melvin route at day 18.
If you follow melvin route at day 10 or follow garcias route at day 18, you cannot get free roam... ?
Is it me or does these conditions look incredibly specific ?

Last edited:
Reactions: DonRE

SiriusBlack

Jun 23, 2018
I finally tried that game after quite a while, since I'm not into ntr with a female pov (I prefer ntr with male pov), but the corruption part seemed sweet, and I had a question :
In the flow chart, in order to unlock free roam, you need both "A" and "B" if I read well, except it looks impossible.
You need to unlock part B in Sato route at day 19, but also part A in Melvin route at day 25.

Edit : ok, looking at it more, you seem to need to switch to sato route at day 10, then switch to garcias route at day 15/16, then go to melvin route at day 18.
If you follow melvin route at day 10 or follow garcias route at day 18, you cannot get free roam... ?
It looks more complicated than it actually is :p
You can progress Melvin and Sato routes together, with only little changes, and these are the ""main"" routes, since they let you explore the city at some point. Garcias route kinda unfoldes between them, and you can choose to skip it entirely, try it and quit it, or go full throttle on it. The last option locks you in that route.

To trigger free roam, you can advance in both Melvin and Sato routes, quit Melvin and continue Sato, or quit Sato and go for Melvin alone. You also have not to lock yourself in Garcias route.

To trigger an alternative version of Melvin's Loyal ending, you have to quit Sato route and "try then quit" Garcias route.

Hope it helps. If you have any question, just ask here or on their discord :)

Zellemate

Game Developer
Dec 13, 2016

The days are a bit misleading, they are used if you follow one single route only. So try to ignore the days, and just try to reach both points in your play-through.

The conditions are specific, but actually really easy to get.
A. Melvin Route: Get to the scene where Ayame rides him in his office(2nd sex with Melvin Scene)​
B. Sato Route: Either quit the route early OR get to the scene where Ayame have sex with Sato in the school outfit.​
When these conditions are met, you unlock free-roam.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voilsh

Voilsh

Apr 30, 2017
It looks more complicated than it actually is :p
For sure it is : if you can advance both branches at the same then yeah the days don't mean much.
thanks!

The days are a bit misleading, they are used if you follow one single route only. So try to ignore the days, and just try to reach both points in your play-through.

The conditions are specific, but actually really easy to get.
A. Melvin Route: Get to the scene where Ayame rides him in his office(2nd sex with Melvin Scene)​
B. Sato Route: Either quit the route early OR get to the scene where Ayame have sex with Sato in the school outfit.​
When these conditions are met, you unlock free-roam.
OK thanks :)

4.10 star(s) 84 Votes