5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

UsagiSabita

Aug 10, 2017
Nope, I was talking specifically about creators like the one here, that have a pricier tier for VR.
I mean... there aren't really that many I can even think of honestly :unsure: I think Laosddude might have had a higher tier for thier VR stuff... but i don't recall. And it looks like their patreon got the boot.
Do you have examples of who you are referring to?

For me a VR tier isn't any different than pricier tiers for extra angles/outfits or PSDs. If some content has more value / takes more work, creators put it in a higher tier. And that tier costs more because of that content, not because it has that + the rest of the stuff you don't care about. That's how patreon works. That's how the market works.
If people want only the VR content (or only the extra angle / a specific outfit / etc) and expect that to be available in a small separate cheap tier, well... good luck with that buddy.
No.. thats not really how Patreon or the Market "works" Creators are free to have tiers of equal price to represent different rewards of similar value, but subjectively different in terms of content. It's simply not "common" but i've seen some creators offer such things.
In generally I only sub for VR on Patreon to creators who's primary focus is VR.
If they are creators like AniAniBoy who are new to rendering their content for, I'm most certainly not paying them shit without at least seeing if the work done is a decent set-up or not. I don't expect shit from anybody really.
But frankly if you expect that a creator is gonna be able to bring in the VR consumer market (because thats generally how market flow works, consumer rate and all that..) with paywalled only content that isn't really seen anywhere outside of their twitter or patreon... good luck to them.
They don't offer the content at a reasonable price... I sure as fuck know i'm not buying it. I and i can tell i'm not alone in that from what I see on various sites similar to this.

And indeed I don't have VR, as suggested I just use a cheap solution with my phone for such content and it's been working fine so far. That's exactly why I don't see VR tiers as something that preys specifically on VR owners or whatever.
Sure VR tiers can sometimes suck if they are priced too high and provide too little content, but that can be said for any tier...
I'm confused do you or don't you have VR? You say you don't have VR, but then say you used a cheap solution with your phone for said content... So which is it?
If you use a smartphone headset for VR then it's still VR and you're contradicting yourself.

I don't personally think there is intent to prey on VR owners ether really that much with the tiers.
I'm just very about price/quality/amount of content ratio. Imo AniBoy's Tier is Overpriced for what they are offering as far asVR goes when compared to other VR creators.

mightymoo

Nov 22, 2019
No.. thats not really how Patreon or the Market "works"
By "works" I mean what is actually common practice, not what is possible on a technical level... Of course a creator could've created 50 different tiers for every kind of content / character / resolution he offers, and kept tracking and maintaining all of them. But expecting them to actually do that just because it would benefit someone's specific use case of "only wanting THAT specific content" is delusional.

Creators have a few tiers. Tiers have increasing content with increasing prices. Is the price for some tier worth it? That's an individual's call. Is the actual practice of using this model predatory or a "dick move"? No, it's just what's common on the platform and what makes sense from the creator's side. It's a lot like collector's editions for games or pretty much any pricing model based on tiers.

there aren't really that many I can even think of honestly
There aren't a ton but there are at least a few. Some of them might have a seperate tier just for VR and some might have the VR content inside some premium tier with other extra content. VGErotica, RapidBanana, Volkor and probably 3-4 more that I can't recall since it's been a while.
Why would it matter though? As I said I don't see how a tier for VR is any different than a tier for 8K or for PSDs or for futa variations or whatever. And you've got plenty of creators with those.

I'm confused do you or don't you have VR?
I personally don't consider sticking my phone in a cardboard box as "having VR equipment". Either way it's just semantics.
The point was, as stated, that VR content can be consumed with cheap gear and thus not "aimed at people who spent $$$ on VR gear".

I don't personally think there is intent to prey on VR owners ether really that much with the tiers.
I'm just very about price/quality/amount of content ratio
I think you and I are probably in agreement (and have been from the start). My comments were to machinman's whining on the entire concept of a VR tier.

• Haha
Reactions: UsagiSabita

UsagiSabita

Aug 10, 2017
By "works" I mean what is actually common practice, not what is possible on a technical level... Of course a creator could've created 50 different tiers for every kind of content / character / resolution he offers, and kept tracking and maintaining all of them. But expecting them to actually do that just because it would benefit someone's specific use case of "only wanting THAT specific content" is delusional.

Creators have a few tiers. Tiers have increasing content with increasing prices. Is the price for some tier worth it? That's an individual's call. Is the actual practice of using this model predatory or a "dick move"? No, it's just what's common on the platform and what makes sense from the creator's side. It's a lot like collector's editions for games or pretty much any pricing model based on tiers.

There aren't a ton but there are at least a few. Some of them might have a seperate tier just for VR and some might have the VR content inside some premium tier with other extra content. VGErotica, RapidBanana, Volkor and probably 3-4 more that I can't recall since it's been a while.
Why would it matter though? As I said I don't see how a tier for VR is any different than a tier for 8K or for PSDs or for futa variations or whatever. And you've got plenty of creators with those.

I personally don't consider sticking my phone in a cardboard box as "having VR equipment". Either way it's just semantics.
The point was, as stated, that VR content can be consumed with cheap gear and thus not "aimed at people who spent $$$ on VR gear".

I think you and I are probably in agreement (and have been from the start). My comments were to machinman's whining on the entire concept of a VR tier.

Yikes way to cherry pick and not acknowledge my bringing up that market economics in this sort of realm flows both ways in the sense of expectations.

Like I said I don't expect anything from anyone, I simply believe that the price should be fair in terms of what you are getting.
Expecting consumers to pay extra for things they don't actually want as a bundle, for sub-par content in the first place. It's not predatory, but it's egotistical AF.

RapidBanana is a creator that focuses on VR and releases all of it free. Subing simply gets you higher quality renders.

The tier VGErotica has that includes VR also includes WiP, and higher res renders of other work's than lower tiers.

I really only know of Volkor mainly as an audio/sfx engineer within the r34 space, but they did start doing animation recently.

I mean if you are in fact still actually using a *literal* cardboard phone headset... I don't even know what to say to that.
Spend $30 and at least get something comfortable

Still though it's not as if Smartphone VR isn't VR, it's just limited.

mightymoo

Nov 22, 2019
at least get something comfortable
I would if it wasn't comfortable, to each his own I guess.

As for the rest,

Tiered pricing is a thing, regardless of the tier being just for VR / + WIPs / + higher res / + ponies.

If someone has a problem with the concept of tiered pricing, fine, there's many a discussion to be made regarding that and the economic market of content creators and what not.

If someone has a problem with the specific concept of a VR tier but is ok with everything else (= what started this discussion and what got me into it) - I've said my piece on that and have nothing more to add. I think I've bothered the people checking the thread notifications long enough.

• Haha
Reactions: UsagiSabita
5.00 star(s) 1 Vote