DarkDaemonX

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2020
Games with a big cast like this with no harem path and so many differences depending on the order you do some quests in are really daunting, as you'll most likely have to start over multiple times to see everything, as saving at choices won't be enough because of the order mattering too, that doesn't sound all that appealing.

Dogorti

Jan 23, 2021
Games with a big cast like this with no harem path and so many differences depending on the order you do some quests in are really daunting, as you'll most likely have to start over multiple times to see everything, as saving at choices won't be enough because of the order mattering too, that doesn't sound all that appealing.
Wow a game with choices that really matter... hell:eek::eek:

The most ironic thing is that you go to other threads and people complain that the choices in those games don't count. people just like to complain.

DarkDaemonX

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2020

The most ironic thing is that you go to other threads and people complain that the choices in those games don't count. people just like to complain.
It's just very daunting to have this much in a sandbox, no sandbox means no different order to do things in, so choices have to matter if it has them, so it's all about context.

Corvair

Jun 26, 2020

The issue is the lack of informed choice in some instances. You have to do certain quests to unlock choices relevant to progress in other arcs - so if you do those quests out of an order you may not even know exists (unless you play with walkthrough in hand), you lock yourself out of possibly the romance option you were going for (like I did on my first blind playthrough with Flora, because I'd progressed Jacklyn too quickly) - and the game doesn't tell you about that.

When people want choice, they want to at least have a rough understanding where that choice can lead them. But here, you can lead yourself into a dead end without ever realizing you even made a choice in the first place.

For example: How am I supposed to smell that going on that date with Jacklyn during "The Statement" locks me out of romancing Flora unless I discovered and completed the Bonsai quest (Tiny Thirsty Tree) first, and picked a certain option during that?

Choices are great - "Guide, Dang It!" moments not so much.

Dogorti

Jan 23, 2021
The issue is the lack of informed choice in some instances. You have to do certain quests to unlock choices relevant to progress in other arcs - so if you do those quests out of an order you may not even know exists (unless you play with walkthrough in hand), you lock yourself out of possibly the romance option you were going for (like I did on my first blind playthrough with Flora, because I'd progressed Jacklyn too quickly) - and the game doesn't tell you about that.

When people want choice, they want to at least have a rough understanding where that choice can lead them. But here, you can lead yourself into a dead end without ever realizing you even made a choice in the first place.

For example: How am I supposed to smell that going on that date with Jacklyn during "The Statement" locks me out of romancing Flora unless I discovered and completed the Bonsai quest (Tiny Thirsty Tree) first, and picked a certain option during that?

Choices are great - "Guide, Dang It!" moments not so much.
Well, I can understand the frustration, but after all it is a game, very few AAA games tell you what the outcome of a decision will be. The same as in this game you just have to make the decision that makes the most sense considering the behavior of the characters.

But as I said, I understand the frustration. I would also be angry if the romance with Flora had been locked. Lucky for me Jacklyn is a no no. But if I remember correctly, in the quest about the date with Jacklyn, when Flora discovers that you are going out with her, there you get the option of romance with her or do you have to do the tree quest?

Reactions: Blue Guy

Agent_Sloth

Feb 1, 2023
In the spirit of the Programmers' Third Virtue, I figured I could do better than that. As it turns out, technically I can, but it really wasn't worth the trouble: as of v1.14, your patch suffices for everything except two lines in the script, perhaps neither of which most players will ever see.

The attached patch fixes those two places anyway, and (if we are a certain kind of fortunate) may also fix others which have yet to be written.

(Place this file directly in the game/ folder to apply it.)

Changelog:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I must be dense, I can't seem to figure out how to download this, it just keeps opening it as a new tab in my browser as script....what am I doing wrong?!

Reactions: exile0025

Corvair

Jun 26, 2020
Well, I can understand the frustration, but after all it is a game, very few AAA games tell you what the outcome of a decision will be. The same as in this game you just have to make the decision that makes the most sense considering the behavior of the characters.

But as I said, I understand the frustration. I would also be angry if the romance with Flora had been locked. Lucky for me Jacklyn is a no no. But if I remember correctly, in the quest about the date with Jacklyn, when Flora discovers that you are going out with her, there you get the option of romance with her or do you have to do the tree quest?
The thing is, to iterate: In order to make informed decisions, we need information, and it has to be consistent and reliable. There is a reason why Bioware tells you beforehand if you're making a Paragon or a Renegade choice: You may not know the exact outcome, but you can guess in which direction it goes in general, and you'll know in which way your alignment shifts. There is actually another part where Another Chance actually does this better: When you follow Lindsey's route, there is a juncture where you can either follow her, or break off to go chasing Maxine - and the game flat out tells you that you can do one or the other, but not both.

And yes, if I remember correctly, that is exactly my gripe with the Flora thing: The option to romance her appears gated behind information that you obtain through the Tiny Thirsty Tree quest ("Ask her what's really going on"), and there is no way of knowing that until you have to make that decision. I only found out by looking into the walkthrough.

I guess my point is: I wish I didn't need that walkthrough on my second monitor to confidently navigate the game, but could rely on the game to give me enough pertinent pointers to romance the girl I want to romance, especially since many of the quests are interlocking anyhow: You need to do certain ones to unlock others (like the beaver line to continue with Isabelle's quests) , so the game encourages you to advance quests in general - it's just that, as discussed, there is a order you "should" do them in if you don't want to miss out on quite a bit of stuff, and stumble into situations where the option you want to take is greyed out because of that lack of information or stats.

It's not a biggy (despite me typing up a storm - I'm just overly verbose, I guess), it's more of a "I quite enjoy this game, but this is a recurring hurdle I keep having to step around - could we talk about how this could be done with less frustration?", I guess.

Dogorti

Jan 23, 2021
The thing is, to iterate: In order to make informed decisions, we need information, and it has to be consistent and reliable. There is a reason why Bioware tells you beforehand if you're making a Paragon or a Renegade choice: You may not know the exact outcome, but you can guess in which direction it goes in general, and you'll know in which way your alignment shifts. There is actually another part where Another Chance actually does this better: When you follow Lindsey's route, there is a juncture where you can either follow her, or break off to go chasing Maxine - and the game flat out tells you that you can do one or the other, but not both.

And yes, if I remember correctly, that is exactly my gripe with the Flora thing: The option to romance her appears gated behind information that you obtain through the Tiny Thirsty Tree quest ("Ask her what's really going on"), and there is no way of knowing that until you have to make that decision. I only found out by looking into the walkthrough.

I guess my point is: I wish I didn't need that walkthrough on my second monitor to confidently navigate the game, but could rely on the game to give me enough pertinent pointers to romance the girl I want to romance, especially since many of the quests are interlocking anyhow: You need to do certain ones to unlock others (like the beaver line to continue with Isabelle's quests) , so the game encourages you to advance quests in general - it's just that, as discussed, there is a order you "should" do them in if you don't want to miss out on quite a bit of stuff, and stumble into situations where the option you want to take is greyed out because of that lack of information or stats.

It's not a biggy (despite me typing up a storm - I'm just overly verbose, I guess), it's more of a "I quite enjoy this game, but this is a recurring hurdle I keep having to step around - could we talk about how this could be done with less frustration?", I guess.
It's great to see someone on this forum having a discussion without being insulting. Yes, tbh it could be a little better which option is good and which is "bad", but I think a problem is that it is an early access game and they add random quests which makes it sometimes confusing which is the order of the quests, that is something that I hope they fix once the game is complete (that and there is no longer censored content with flora and jo lol).

In any case I understand your point and I hope it's something they can improve, what I don't understand is the people who give this game 1 star (like the last review) with so many shitty games in this forum they are going to rate as bad a game that for a change it has good writing lol.

rokese7767

Sep 13, 2020
Unofficial android version (1.37)

Tap map button to activate x-rays mode. Includes incest patch.

Mouse gestures: (Simple symbols that you "draw" on your screen. Don't take your finger off the screen while doing it)
Up: Menu
Right: Skip
Left+Down+Right: Console (type 'exit' to close)

Down+Right+Up: Unlock gallery
Up+Diagonal_Down_Right+Up: Enable iNcest patch
Up+Diagonal_Down_Left+Up: Disable iNcest patch

datarelay

Jun 8, 2021
I really like the art, the story, the feels and all, but since this game has this unique questing mechanic making each very independent, the game needs urgently an adequate quest tracker showing all the information for each quest complete and not complete, not just the simple guide.
Add that and this would be a 10/10 for what it proposes.

Reactions: Mauser45
3.80 star(s) 163 Votes