ZLZK

Modder
Jul 2, 2017
You can tell when function is called inside screen.
"_".join(getattr(renpy.current_screen.current(), 'screen_name', ()))
It's "_".join(getattr(renpy.current_screen(), 'screen_name', ())) instead.

Would need to find a method to replace text of say, menu and screen in one place.
And since we know now how to detect say, menu or screen; it should be doable.
Apparently almost all of displayed text goes through renpy.translation.translate_string function.
So you can probably monkey patch it, and make patch for say, menu and screen from it.

breaks the gallery replay feature
Line below causes it.
if title.startswith("Jo's ")

That's why regex is better, you can match "Jo's " and replace only "Jo".
I guess you could as well do: title.replace("Jo's ", "Mom's ")

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2020
I tried this patch out. It's great but one major problem is the is breaks the gallery replay feature. Only Mom/Jo scenes appear in the gallery at all. (at first I thought that was just part of the game but I realized nobody else had that problem and found out it was caused by the ipatch.)
Thanks for the report, and excuse me while I die of embarrassment. That was a complete brain-fart on my part, and I can plead only that I no longer write Python for a living. Fixed in v3.2 (just uploaded).

It works only in text with character variable.
Apparently almost all of displayed text goes through renpy.translation.translate_string function.
So you can probably monkey patch it, and make patch for say, menu and screen from it.
Ah. You are suggesting that, in order to avoid manually "translating" the quest and gallery strings, I should wait until all context has been stripped from the text, then try to reconstruct the context from the bare string and the state of various global variables.

Absolutely not, for more reasons than I care to discuss here.

niarrhhh

Mar 13, 2020
Well in that case, either your specific set of character interactions and cleared quests has led you to a "version" of Wicked Game I've never seen where the solution is different from the ones I thought were the default, or the quest bugged out. Every time I've gone through that quest (light spoiler for the usual solutions)
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
. The situation you are in where apparently the Nurse isn't there at all is something I haven't encountered.
if anyone knows the flag that makes the nurse come up in this quest, i'd be highly appreciative

people say that this game is script hell, but it's more in the sense that most quests branch so differently from each other it's hard to make all paths correlate to each other...

tormel

Sep 28, 2023
This game indulges much, the story quite okay for me, but with how timing and days work, it turns to quite a chore

gunman19

Jan 17, 2024
I enjoyed the game so far. Really nice nostalgic vibes to it and it's not just about the seggs. Great art even in the backgrounds and a lot of effort has been put into the scripting and branching. Though, it was a little weird how easy it is to suddenly end up doing the deed with almost every single female available even if you try to be loyal, though I don't think there is any penalty for that yet.

Mar 3, 2020
if anyone knows the flag that makes the nurse come up in this quest, i'd be highly appreciative

From characters/nurse/nurse.rpy:55-56:
Python:
             if quest.kate_wicked == "costume" and not quest.kate_wicked["own_costume"]:
                 self.alternative_locations["school_ground_floor_west"] = "standing"
Which is also exactly the condition for the box appearing (locations/school/ground_floor_west/ground_floor_west.rpy:119-120), so the box should never be there without the nurse. Unfortunately, if you're also in some phase of another quest (like "Venting Frustration") which blocks the nurse from appearing, that will take precedence. (See lines 66-77 in nurse.rpy.)

For simplicity's sake, the quickest way around the bug is probably to stick a return after the above two lines (but still under the if). For verisimilitude's sake, they're probably just going to have to rewrite that part of the quest to handle the "nurse is unavailable" case.

Reactions: niarrhhh

Jdiezel

Jun 28, 2022
hey can someone answer a question for me please. i dropped this game a while back bc i got annoyed that i had to reload a save twice so that i didnt get locked out of certain content. iirc it was for the nurse and sister. is there a lot more scenarios like that, where if u dont dont a certain thing before progressing with a character then a dialogue option could be locked? and is the dev still adding stuff like that?

Mariohhhhhh

May 24, 2022
hey can someone answer a question for me please. i dropped this game a while back bc i got annoyed that i had to reload a save twice so that i didnt get locked out of certain content. iirc it was for the nurse and sister. is there a lot more scenarios like that, where if u dont dont a certain thing before progressing with a character then a dialogue option could be locked? and is the dev still adding stuff like that?
yes

lilbro

Feb 27, 2018
How do you unlock the scene where Kate makes the really evil looking face? I unlocked it one when I first played this game years ago, and that was the cut off. I've never been able to get that scene again since.

niarrhhh

Mar 13, 2020
From characters/nurse/nurse.rpy:55-56:
Python:
             if quest.kate_wicked == "costume" and not quest.kate_wicked["own_costume"]:
                 self.alternative_locations["school_ground_floor_west"] = "standing"
Which is also exactly the condition for the box appearing (locations/school/ground_floor_west/ground_floor_west.rpy:119-120), so the box should never be there without the nurse. Unfortunately, if you're also in some phase of another quest (like "Venting Frustration") which blocks the nurse from appearing, that will take precedence. (See lines 66-77 in nurse.rpy.)

For simplicity's sake, the quickest way around the bug is probably to stick a return after the above two lines (but still under the if). For verisimilitude's sake, they're probably just going to have to rewrite that part of the quest to handle the "nurse is unavailable" case.
that would be lifesaving actually, thanks a lot!!

however, where can you find the nurse.rpy file? i seem to be lacking the characters folder, i've checked the game's root folder and all other folders i could find, but no subfolder named "characters"

i'm probably missing something simple, but i don't have much experience messing with renpy files or just python programming in general...

Mar 3, 2020
however, where can you find the nurse.rpy file? i seem to be lacking the characters folder, i've checked the game's root folder and all other folders i could find, but no subfolder named "characters"
Sorry, I forget most people don't habitually unpack and decompile Ren'Py games before playing them. It's inside the archive 1000_base_game.rpa, so you'll have to use a tool to get at it. I use something I found on GitHub, but this tool might work for you. You don't have to repack the files once you've made the change.

That said, I am not good at giving advice for non-programmers to follow, and cannot reasonably help you further. If you are completely unacquainted with programming you will probably not have a good time.

niarrhhh

Mar 13, 2020
Sorry, I forget most people don't habitually unpack and decompile Ren'Py games before playing them. It's inside the archive 1000_base_game.rpa, so you'll have to use a tool to get at it. I use something I found on GitHub, but this tool might work for you. You don't have to repack the files once you've made the change.

That said, I am not good at giving advice for non-programmers to follow, and cannot reasonably help you further. If you are completely unacquainted with programming you will probably not have a good time.
which editor you're using? i'm trying to use notepad++ but for rpyc files it all comes janky, i even configured for it to identify rpy and rpyc as python scripts

this is what it looks like:
1706413504985.png
though, i know you've pointed out it was the nurse.rpy file, but in the folder i can only find the rpyc version

file path and content looks like this:
1706413553315.png
nevertheless, thanks again for the help!

EDIT:
nevermind, i forgot i have to decompile the rpyc files lol

3.80 star(s) 164 Votes