neodav

Nov 13, 2017
I am curious though, what flashback are you speaking of? I've seen a lot of dream sequences but I don't really recall any proper flashbacks. Maybe I have overlooked a scene that reframes this conversation.
At a guess, I think they're referring to the car wash. He's on semi-decent terms with his sister and most of the girls (though Kate was still vile), he at least has the option to comfort his crying mother in a bikini (and it's mentioned he canonically made fun of her, which surely didn't help her feelings for him), and most vitally, Lindsey actually came over to help him with the janitor's closet and was nice/friendly to him on the one occasion he'd actually spoken to her. I don't think it undermines the very real bullying he faced (especially since, again, we never actually see the abuse he doubtless gets from the other guys at the school or what Kate's posse is like separately from Kate), but there were signs that things weren't always completely awful.

What little family he had was anything but supportive, despite both being in a great position to help.
We don't actually know that, because we never saw him try anything. We don't know that they wouldn't have helped if he showed any desire or attempt to turn his life around. Hell, in the intro, he outright talks about all the opportunities he passed on and things he could have done but never did. We don't know what he would or wouldn't be capable of if he tried to do so. It doesn't have to be major, but basic hygiene, going out for a walk, or sending out an application for some minimum wage nothing of a job would be more than we actually see. Baby steps are still steps, but he became so gun-shy because of prior failures that he seemingly gave up on trying at all. Honestly, some of what you see as signs of manipulation or being in another world, like people laughing at a joke or being nice back when he's nice to them (especially Isabelle, who's never met him before and so her only exposure to him is potentially him being friendly), feels less like him thinking something's off and more like him going "wait, that actually worked?" He might be butting up against the new reality, or maybe he's butting up against his own preconceptions and narrative.

Last edited:
Reactions: CuriousKiyo

Tehemai

Oct 9, 2017
At a guess, I think they're referring to the car wash. He's on semi-decent terms with his sister and most of the girls (though Kate was still vile), he at least has the option to comfort his crying mother in a bikini (and it's mentioned he canonically made fun of her, which surely didn't help her feelings for him), and most vitally, Lindsey actually came over to help him with the janitor's closet and was nice/friendly to him on the one occasion he'd actually spoken to her. I don't think it undermines the very real bullying he faced (especially since, again, we never actually see the abuse he doubtless gets from the other guys at the school or what Kate's posse is like separately from Kate), but there were signs that things weren't always completely awful.
Lol it can't be, that's literally written as the least realistic dream out of all of them. They obviously never organized a school bikini car wash, that was a reoccurring sexy dream of his. They were all intentionally incredibly out of character in that one for comedic effect. With only a brief reprieve for an emotional moment with his mom which is probably foreshadowing something for later.

neodav

Nov 13, 2017
Out of all of them, that one? Lol that's literally written as the least realistic dream out of all of them. They obviously never organized a school bikini car wash, that was a reoccurring sexy dream of his. They were all intentionally incredibly out of character in that one for comedic effect. With only a brief reprieve for an emotional moment with his mom which is probably foreshadowing something for later.
Like I said, that's just a top-of-my-head guess on my part. I agree with you that it's unrealistic and plays a lot of it for jokes, but the MC generally notes the parts of it where he's just fantasizing or diverged from reality (like if you take the signs and run instead of groveling to Kate, he openly wishes he hadn't groveled in reality, and he notes that he really did make fun of his mother at her most vulnerable, which suggests that some parts of that day were real). It's also really not the time for a pointless comedic scene considering it immediately follows Lindsey's suicide attempt and ends with him watching the ambulance speed away, so it's very possible, even likely, the devs were setting something up there that's more serious than it first appeared.

CuriousKiyo

Jun 15, 2022
I get that but I think it's a little bit backwards thinking. Of course if MC were in a different situation, he could have had a different outcome. The problem is he couldn't reasonably be expected to do that because his situation was already dire on paper from an early age. He explicitly states the closest he had to a friend was the janitor. That's not normal even for the jerkiest of jerks. Clearly the people at school had already began to ostracize him. And at home he had no father to teach him how to stand up for himself. No mother to do anything but blame him for everything that went wrong. No sister to ever act like anything but a prankster nuisance. So the idea that he should have just studied, worked out and stood up alone to all his bullies is a bit of an absurd ask.
I do think you may be, indeed, reading a bit too much into things. The game lays out again and again how regretful the mc is about how things turned out and always puts the blame on him. The thing, I think, we're supposed to take away is that the mc is taking this chance to make things better. If the world was also changed to make it easier it'd kinda undermine a lot of the development he's received, though this could be possible. I'll get back to that later.
And also I find the home situation to be bit of a self fulfilling prophecy. Flora and her brother were in the same situation initially, so unless she is a prodigy who does things easier, which I find unlikely as multiple we're shown how diligent she is, the only reason why she has it easier is, unironically, because she actually works harder. This also comes into a play with an amusing line where Flora complains about how hard she has to work to earn her mother's approval while the mc can do the bare minimum and fuck her gain her love.
If no one interfered and he was given a second chance with absolutely no variables changed, he almost certainly would have wound up in the exact same place.
Knowledge about the future seems like a pretty good variable to change.
For all the shade people throw onto Mer, it may very well end up being her plots that saved his life this time. If she did not manipulate everyone around him, he may not have formed the initial bonds necessary to break the cycle. After all, the two people that really warm up to MC immediately are isabelle and lindsey. And they are exactly the two people she manipulated the most.
This is a very good point and now we return to what I said earlier about things changing. I do agree that the main catalysts for the change are these two. Hell, if memory serves correctly, the only reason Lindsey and mc got close was due to her falling, maybe by Mer's influence. So I don't think mc's social standing got changed outright, but the situations were designed to give him an easier shot.
I am curious though, what flashback are you speaking of? I've seen a lot of dream sequences but I don't really recall any proper flashbacks. Maybe I have overlooked a scene that reframes this conversation.
This one:
Out of all of them, that one? Lol that's literally written as the least realistic dream out of all of them. They obviously never organized a school bikini car wash, that was obviously a reoccurring sexy dream of his. They were all intentionally incredibly out of character in that one for comedic effect. With only a brief reprieve for an emotional moment with his mom which is probably foreshadowing something for later.
Now I think you're discrediting the thing too much. Of course there are things the mc embellishes, he even admits as much, but the event most definitely still happened. This flashback occurs right after Lindsey jumps, it was a memory of the one time they talked. The mom part confirms that a car wash did happen, as why would the mc remember her crying and feeling bad about it if he was fantasizing.
It being just all fake would ruin the scene and take away the from emotional impact of Lindsey jumping.

Tehemai

Oct 9, 2017
Like I said, that's just a top-of-my-head guess on my part. I agree with you that it's unrealistic and plays a lot of it for jokes, but the MC generally notes the parts of it where he's just fantasizing or diverged from reality (like if you take the signs and run instead of groveling to Kate, he openly wishes he hadn't groveled in reality, which suggests that some part of that day was real). It's also really not the time for a pointless comedic scene considering it immediately follows Lindsey's suicide attempt and ends with him watching the ambulance speed away, so it's very possible, even likely, the devs were setting something up there that's more serious than it first appeared.
Now I think you're discrediting the thing too much. Of course there are things the mc embellishes, he even admits as much, but the event most definitely still happened. This flashback occurs right after Lindsey jumps, it was a memory of the one time they talked. The mom part confirms that a car wash did happen, as why would the mc remember her crying and feeling bad about it if he was fantasizing.
It being just all fake would ruin the scene and take away the from emotional impact of Lindsey jumping.
I thought he was thinking back to his most fond escapist fantasy because he's trying to run away from thinking about what just happened in real life. In any case, with everything hilariously embellished specifically to make it pleasant, it's obviously the worst frame of reference one could use to judge how they treated him back then. That's exactly what he would most likely change first. Which the event also makes clear from the first lines of dialogue uttered.

Edit: Tbh going through the event again, I can't really make sense of it. It seems way too out of character for a bikini car wash to have happened in any capacity. And yet oddly enough the MC does speak like it somewhat did. I just don't see how Jo of all characters would ever greenlight soft prostituting her students for mere dance funds. Only thing I can think of is they're hinting that Jo swapped personalities just like Mrs L in the shift. But that would just raise more questions than it answers.
This is a very good point and now we return to what I said earlier about things changing. I do agree that the main catalysts for the change are these two. Hell, if memory serves correctly, the only reason Lindsey and mc got close was due to her falling, maybe by Mer's influence. So I don't think mc's social standing got changed outright, but the situations were designed to give him an easier shot.
Not confirmed to be Mer but her newfound clumsiness is definitely one of the confirmed changes in the timeline. So imo, I really do think the changes deserve the bulk of the credit for MC succeeding. The change in personality is more a byproduct of that, not the cause of it.
Knowledge about the future seems like a pretty good variable to change.
But really not an explanation that justifies this specific correction in behavior. If anything with all the terrible memories of his family allegedly mistreating him, the obvious use of that knowledge by a spiteful incel would be malice not kindness. If he's indeed an incel unjustly blaming others, why would he think he should be the one to reform? It doesn't make sense to suddenly blame himself without additional intervention. That type of premise without a lesson would obviously instead setup for a revenge storyline. Not what we got.

Imo, the only way the story makes sense is if he was largely telling the truth. And because he now has some baseline footing, he has a second chance at making a life worth living. Maybe not as typical a second chance story we're all used to hearing where bad guy turns good. But I don't think it undermines anything. If anything, the nuance makes the character development of every character more interesting.

Last edited:

FGM01

Jun 27, 2023
Had to load an older save to finally unfuck my game to where it wasn't broken. The last 2 quests were playing at the same time and I couldn't even progress either of them. Of course, never made a statement with Jacklyn in my main file, so I dunno why I'm bothering so hard to keep it lol. Hope that doesn't bite me in the ass when it eventually comes time for her to dabble with Flora.

CuriousKiyo

Jun 15, 2022
I just don't see how Jo of all characters would ever greenlight soft prostituting her students for mere dance funds.
On the contrary, she is someone who'd do that a hundred percent. It's hinted that she sucked her way to the top so much she developed chronic throat pain. She is very much not against using sex to get what she wants.
So imo, I really do think the changes deserve the bulk of the credit for MC succeeding.
I just replayed the very beginning, and from the first moment, even before he met anyone, the mc is already resolute to changing his ways. Most of his actions this part of the game are predicated with him saying "I didn't do this before, let's change that." So I think the mc isn't quite the loser we thought, as even before meeting any of the changes to make things easier for him, he stll wanted to change. Would he have succeded if everything was the same? Maybe not, but his outlook changing was him and him alone.

Reactions: Tehemai

DeVo1234

Jun 11, 2022
With Chapter Select and Fast Mode a walkthrough is redundant.
Not sure if I agree with that, for example in the first quest with Kate and the Nurse there is a unique interaction with the Nurse if you have a photo of her or something, and I have no idea how to get said photo.

Yes, if with "punish" you mean lock out of certain content
Also I'd want to know what actions lock me out of certain content, which is something a walkthrough would be handy for

CuriousKiyo

Jun 15, 2022
Not sure if I agree with that, for example in the first quest with Kate and the Nurse there is a unique interaction with the Nurse if you have a photo of her or something, and I have no idea how to get said photo.

Also I'd want to know what actions lock me out of certain content, which is something a walkthrough would be handy for
Everytime there's a really important choice which locks scenes, the game tells you. The one exception is that you need to do some very specific choices in season 1 to unlock a route in 2 that are very easy to miss.

Reactions: DeVo1234

Tehemai

Oct 9, 2017
On the contrary, she is someone who'd do that a hundred percent. It's hinted that she sucked her way to the top so much she developed chronic throat pain. She is very much not against using sex to get what she wants.

I just replayed the very beginning, and from the first moment, even before he met anyone, the mc is already resolute to changing his ways. Most of his actions this part of the game are predicated with him saying "I didn't do this before, let's change that." So I think the mc isn't quite the loser we thought, as even before meeting any of the changes to make things easier for him, he stll wanted to change. Would he have succeded if everything was the same? Maybe not, but his outlook changing was him and him alone.
Yea but that's done privately. Pimping her students publicly for a character that so carefully plays office politics and curates her appearance just seems off. During the course of the game, her personality on its face comes off as actually rather conservative. It may be that like Mrs L, her personality did a 180 from her past life. Though if that were the case, I find it odd for MC to not mention it more often.

But yea, I didn't get the impression he was just a hateful loser making things up the first time. I got the impression he genuinely got screwed by life and got sucked into a spiral because he truly had no one there to pull him out. Hence why some powerful being took pity on him and finally gave him real chance. And now that he has an actual choice in the matter, it's entirely up to him whether he goes back to his old life or becomes a new person.

Last edited:
Reactions: CuriousKiyo

Tehemai

Oct 9, 2017
They all have to do with standing up to and beating Kate:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

So you could say that he has... Another Chance?! *roll credits*
Or maybe with all these glowing spider eggs, cola rivers and demonic beavers, this may just all be the wacky dream that teaches him the lesson. And his second chance is purely metaphoric, where at the end of the game he wakes up back in his shitty old life and sets off to fix it with his newfound perspective.

Kinda worried that's where this is going. It's the only theory that connects all these crazy dots. But that would also absolutely just plain suck.

CuriousKiyo

Jun 15, 2022
Or maybe with all these glowing spider eggs, cola rivers and demonic beavers, this may just all be the wacky dream that teaches him the lesson. And his second chance is purely metaphoric, where at the end of the game he wakes up back in his shitty old life and sets off to fix it with his newfound perspective.

Kinda worried that's where this is going. It's the only theory that connects all these crazy dots. But that would also absolutely just plain suck.
Don't worry. This is all a set up for the sequel "Another Another Chance: This time for real", featuring MILF Kate and her femboy son Achilles, cucking the BMW jackass and proving that incest is wincest, crazy homeless lady Maxine, severely depressed(and repressed) Lindsey, and Isabelle in a maximum security jail after destroying France as revenge for their history of aggression towards Britain. Trust the plan.

• Haha
Reactions: Tehemai

Tehemai

Oct 9, 2017
Don't worry. This is all a set up for the sequel "Another Another Chance: This time for real", featuring MILF Kate and her femboy son Achilles, cucking the BMW jackass and proving that incest is wincest, crazy homeless lady Maxine, severely depressed(and repressed) Lindsey, and Isabelle in a maximum security jail after destroying France as revenge for their history of aggression towards Britain. Trust the plan.
Lol sounds like a sweet game. Have to remember to add a reminder in my will for my grandkids to check it out.

3.70 star(s) 171 Votes