Answering DAZ questions!

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Ok... this one should be an easy one... but remember, I am still a rookie!

for the sake of argument, I load a scene.
Then I want to see how it looks with a character in it, so I load a character.

Now I have the character in the scene, selected in the scene pane....

HERE IS MY QUESTION...
the scene remains the "default" primary asset, for lack of better description, if I rotate around the asset, I am rotating around the scene.
I want to switch to the character, so that is the "primary" asset that I rotate around etc...

How do I do that?
I don't get it, lol... the scene is the set of everything you have loaded, whether it's a stage or a character, and when you rotate the camera you go through the scene, and you'll see that everything rotates.

There is no primary or secondary (sorry if I didn't understand correctly); if you want to rotate an object or a character, select it and rotate it... if you want to rotate a stage that is composed of different parts, you can create a group with all those parts and rotate that group (grouping or ungrouping objects and/or characters is useful to move them together as well).

PJWhoopie

May 14, 2019
Maybe I didn't describe it well enough.

If I have an empty canvas, and put put just a vase prop in it, and then click the widget to rotate around the vase in perspective view... it rotates around the vase.

If I add a Kangaroo into the scene that already has the vase in it... I highlight the kangaroo in the scene pane, and try to rotate the perspective view window around the Kangaroo, the widget has me rotate around the vase, as if the vase is the primary element in the scene. I don't want to rotate around the vase with the widget, I want to rotate around the kangaroo.

Its like DAZ sees the first thing put in the scene, or on the canvas, whatever, at 0, 0, 0 as the primary object. If I put a carrot at 10, 10, 10 , how do I get the perspective view to rotate around the carrot? It still rotates around the item at 0, 0, 0

Last edited:

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
:unsure:

I don't know what you're using to rotate, but the rotation is from the center of the scene... could it be that the vase is in the center of the scene and the kangaroo isn't? :unsure:

PJWhoopie

May 14, 2019
I am using the widget to rotate... or whatever you call the colored square in the top right with the long/lat circles around it. I left click and hold and move the mouse and it rotates around the object placed at 0, 0, 0.

My question I guess, might be, How do I change the center of the scene to be the item I click on in the scene pane?

I put a carrot in , which becomes the center of the scene. I add a girl in 10 meters from the carrot. Now I want to see if she has shat her pants... so I want to rotate the perspective view to be behind her. If the carrot is the center of the scene, I can't easily get "behind" the girl to check.

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
it rotates around the object placed at 0, 0, 0
That's the key, always rotate over this point, not over a specific object... if you want to rotate over a specific object you have to move it to the central point of the scene (0,0,0).
If you need to move several objects together to keep the structure of the scene you have created, select everything, group it and move it.

Although I don't understand exactly why you need to do that, I don't see the point... unless you're trying to create an animation where a camera has to rotate on an object outside the central point, is this what you want to do? Because there's an easy way to do that :p

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Either way, this can help you:

- Create a camera
- Select that camera and create a group
- Select the camera within the created group and move it to the side, at the distance you want to make the rotation
- Select the group and move it to the central point on which you want to rotate
- Select the group and rotate it; the camera will move in orbit to the group, at the distance you have previously moved it

:)

PJWhoopie

May 14, 2019
OK... I answered my own question.

The "button" /icon that looks like a crosshair in a box "View: Frame (LMB) Aim (RMB)"
Makes whatever I have selected, become "the center", and then I can rotate around it.

Application, IE why I want to do this.

Two Girls in a scene. A is the first loaded, B is the second I get A set up, and she is fine, Now I want to put a coat on B and see if it is clipping anywhere.. I need to see behind her right? If A stays the center, I can't rotate the perspective view behind B very easily...

Now I just click that button and I can happily rotate around B as she is now "the center".

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: Porcus Dev

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
OK... I answered my own question.

The "button" /icon that looks like a crosshair in a box "View: Frame (LMB) Aim (RMB)"
Makes whatever I have selected, become "the center", and then I can rotate around it.

Application, IE why I want to do this.

Two Girls in a scene. A is the first loaded, B is the second I get A set up, and she is fine, Now I want to put a coat on B and see if it is clipping anywhere.. I need to see behind her right? If A stays the center, I can't rotate the perspective view behind B very easily...

Now I just click that button and I can happily rotate around B as she is now "the center".
Ahhh, okay.

But pressing that button is to quickly position yourself near an object... but it's the same as moving around the scene and using the mouse wheel to zoom in... once you're close to that object, you'll rotate over that area.

Sorry, I didn't understand what you wanted to do, lol :p;)

hencuka

Jul 16, 2019
Hey!
Does anyone know how can I select multiple colors for nails? Is it possible only with textures, or is there any other way?
Thanks for the help!

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
The installer requires admin permissions like you say and I give it those. The install info does tend to be very lacking.

View attachment 683633

Is it normal for it to be full of blank space? Kinda feel like there should be a directory path there.

Edit*

I've installed Daz on another pc. Exact same installer issue.
Fiddling a bit further with 7zip I managed to get the installer to open, inside however are from what I can see encrypted files so I still can't get the damn .dll out.
Are these installers even working for anyone? Using daz 4.12.1.11.7
Daz 4.5 is really very old... is that the version when uvtailor was released? Does the current version in the Daz store say it is Daz 4.12 compatible?

Perhaps a path issue.... Do you have Daz installed on a deep directory path? Or one with non-english characters?

Not sure what else to suggest. sorry :shrug:

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Ok... this one should be an easy one... but remember, I am still a rookie!

for the sake of argument, I load a scene.
Then I want to see how it looks with a character in it, so I load a character.

Now I have the character in the scene, selected in the scene pane....

HERE IS MY QUESTION...
the scene remains the "default" primary asset, for lack of better description, if I rotate around the asset, I am rotating around the scene.
I want to switch to the character, so that is the "primary" asset that I rotate around etc...

How do I do that?
The "Frame selection" tool in the main view port is the control you are looking for.

1591533298094.png

This will make the selected item('s) the centre of the view rotation and bring the viewpoint to a distance so the entire bounding box of the selected item('s) fits in the view port area.

Note that if you are used to the way blender works in moving the 3d viewpoint around, Daz feels quite weird. I find myself using the "Scene navigator" tool quite a bit which lets you WASD fly (QE for vertical axis movement) around the scene.

NedBrowski

Apr 15, 2018
Daz 4.5 is really very old... is that the version when uvtailor was released? Does the current version in the Daz store say it is Daz 4.12 compatible?

Perhaps a path issue.... Do you have Daz installed on a deep directory path? Or one with non-english characters?

Not sure what else to suggest. sorry :shrug:
Daz installed with default directory paths. "C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4"
I noticed that the new updated downloader installs it to "C:\Daz 3D\Applications\64-bit\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4" by default.

Sadly neither of my the two installations on two separate pc's has managed to get the installers to work.
If I look at something like MF content bookmarks on . I see similar comments of people struggling with installing the plugins. I assume the installers are simply scuffed.
I'll try and get by without said plugins for the time being.
Many thanks for your suggestions anyway.

If someone ever finds a solution or a workable way to unzip the .exe and get usable files out. That be great!

Hey!
Does anyone know how can I select multiple colors for nails? Is it possible only with textures, or is there any other way?
Thanks for the help!
I've seen some nail texture packs have "multi colour" as a default texture. But if you're asking if you can easily paint each nail differently inside daz3d? The answer would be no. You'd have to edit the texture or use overlays, in which case I'd just edit the texture instead.
If you're looking for a rainbow nailset this pack has some.

Alexios8118

Jun 9, 2018
anybody having problem with L.I.E body writing's visibility in iray render it looked ok in viewport but in final render it is hardly visible.

hencuka

Jul 16, 2019
Hey guys and girls,
I'm pretty new to this world. Now I begin to understand and get used to the character and scene creation in Daz.
I noticed that all my characters on the final renders are matte and cartoon like. Is this normal in Daz, or should I try something with shaders, surfaces, materials, etc? If so, then what should I do to make my scenes more life-like? I have to point out that I don’t know at all this whole lightning stuff in Daz, I'm using everything with the default settings when it comes to rendering.
Here are some examples what I'm talking about:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Yonamous

Dec 17, 2017
Hey guys and girls,
I'm pretty new to this world. Now I begin to understand and get used to the character and scene creation in Daz.
I noticed that all my characters on the final renders are matte and cartoon like. Is this normal in Daz, or should I try something with shaders, surfaces, materials, etc? If so, then what should I do to make my scenes more life-like? I have to point out that I don’t know at all this whole lightning stuff in Daz, I'm using everything with the default settings when it comes to rendering.

Lighting is what makes the characters pop. You also seem to have the Headlamp on (Render Settings / General), which means your Camera is giving off light, so you're not going to get any sort of proper shading there.

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Go into Render settings and change as per below, if you using other lighting sources. Ive stopped disabling my camera headlights long as i use either, sphere, plain, HDRI lighting etc.. in a scene.

1598047716917.png

Hey guys and girls,

hencuka

Jul 16, 2019
Go into Render settings and change as per below, if you using other lighting sources. Ive stopped disabling my camera headlights long as i use either, sphere, plain, HDRI lighting etc.. in a scene.

View attachment 781863
Lighting is what makes the characters pop. You also seem to have the Headlamp on (Render Settings / General), which means your Camera is giving off light, so you're not going to get any sort of proper shading there.
I'm eager to try this out. I remember there was a "perfect portray" named preset for lights and render settings what I used at the first few tries months ago and I think that's what left in my settings.

EDIT: After your guideline and a few scene lighting tutorials, this is the result:

Last edited:

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Looks much better to me. More depth and atmosphere to the render.

I'm eager to try this out. I remember there was a "perfect portray" named preset for lights and render settings what I used at the first few tries months ago and I think that's what left in my settings.

EDIT: After your guideline and a few scene lighting tutorials, this is the result:

Reactions: hencuka