Answering DAZ questions!

Yonamous

Dec 17, 2017
I'm eager to try this out. I remember there was a "perfect portray" named preset for lights and render settings what I used at the first few tries months ago and I think that's what left in my settings.

EDIT: After your guideline and a few scene lighting tutorials, this is the result:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
You can add more realism with Skin Builder 8 as well. It can add pores, and veins to make the models a little more lifelike.

Reactions: hencuka

hencuka

Jul 16, 2019
You can add more realism with Skin Builder 8 as well. It can add pores, and veins to make the models a little more lifelike.
Yep. The tanlines you see on the model made by the mentioned skin builder. Veins looks cool only on pale skin as my experience. But the pores made my models look like an orange all the times :rolleyes:

Alboe Interactive

Game Developer
Apr 19, 2020
What are some good methods to deal with clipping and figures grabbing other objects? For all my posing I'm zooming in to look how close a figure's hand is to another object, figure, or itself. This leads to a lot of frustration as telling when something like a finger is touching, clipping, or hovering is difficult even in Iray preview mode.

This picture took a long while to setup and it still isn't 100%. (Edit: forgot picture)
FantasyDating_promo.jpg
For the left figure the thumb is hovering ever so slightly above where I wanted on the penis. The index finger is too far forward because the initial hand position kept causing her hand to clip into the ballsack. So I changed the position entirely as setting up this one shot was taking forever. Some of Meipe's stuff like Breastacular and GP comes with a invisible hand attachment to set collisions but it is not currently available for Futalicious. Perhaps someone is aware of a work around?

For the right figure, her hand is hovering a tiny bit as well. Without a specific face morph for this pose, I don't know how to make her head resting on her knuckles look more natural. So far I've simply changed the camera angle to not show this stuff. I I couldn't do that in this scene because the camera is jammed right up against a sink counter and there is no room. As I move on to actual sex scenes for my VN hiding all this stuff won't be a viable solution. Any tips?

PJWhoopie

May 14, 2019
I am struggle with some lighting issues.... as in, I am not sure wtf I am doing.

So, my intention: Library like room with huge windows and a sky light. Some candles around room, but it is day time noonish so there should be a shit ton of light coming through the window...

I thought I might just be able to crank up the environmental light in the render settings... but it didn't really work like I wanted. So I put a spot light outside the main window... still not what I want.

I would think that a window that big at that time of day with clear skies would light the crap out of that room... almost so that the candles would be "dim" in comparison.

Here is a screen grab for what I have... any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS
Apologies for the large image, but I wanted you to be able to "see" my settings to see if I am on track

Last edited:

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
I am struggle with some lighting issues.... as in, I am not sure wtf I am doing.

So, my intention: Library like room with huge windows and a sky light. Some candles around room, but it is day time noonish so there should be a shit ton of light coming through the window...

I thought I might just be able to crank up the environmental light in the render settings... but it didn't really work like I wanted. So I put a spot light outside the main window... still not what I want.

I would think that a window that big at that time of day with clear skies would light the crap out of that room... almost so that the candles would be "dim" in comparison.

Here is a screen grab for what I have... any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS
Apologies for the large image, but I wanted you to be able to "see" my settings to see if I am on track

>I would think that a window that big at that time of day with clear skies would light the crap out of that room... almost so that the candles would be "dim" in comparison.

You might think that, but actually that is your eyes and brain playing tricks on you - human (and animals i guess) vision is generally very good at adapting to different light levels quickly, so much you don't really notice just how different the light level is when entering indoors from a brightly lit exterior. As an experiment, next time you are in a normally lit indoor room with a window on a sunny day, stand by the window, look around inside for a while, and then quickly turn and look outside - you will notice yourself squinting strongly, narrowing your eyes to reduce the amount of light coming in until your irises change size.

here's a quote from some random science paper "While the range in which the human eye can operate spans approximately 10 orders of light intensity, the perceived brightness of an object depends on the intensity of the surroundings." to prove something or other and confirm the existance of my giant wang.

However, leaving the physiological/psychologiclal question aside, as an artiste you want to achieve a certain effect in Daz Iray, which is why you are asking questions :) So, here is an answer:

I was going to say you need to add a "Iray Light portal" at the window. A light portal is a "iray engine hint" that tells the engine to send a bunch of render rays through a certain plane. And maybe it will work!

But then after some googling this thread ( ) suggests you may be better to switch from using a HDRI environment dome to instead try a Sun-Sky setup with the sun positioned to come through your window at the correct angle, and then use tone mapping to get the level of brightness you want indoors.

Because Iray simualtes realistic light properties, if the indoors is bright enough, then the window area will probably be overexposed (too washed out). If this is a problem and/or you want to see "blue sky" through the window, you would need to do a second render with your chosen HDRi dome image and then photoshop the less bright window area into the main image with your brightly lit interior.
Note also if the sunrays falling in through the window should be visible, you should look for the "god rays" product, or google some tutorial on how to simulate the volumetric lighting yourself (I think sickleyield has one)

Reactions: PJWhoopie

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
What are some good methods to deal with clipping and figures grabbing other objects? For all my posing I'm zooming in to look how close a figure's hand is to another object, figure, or itself. This leads to a lot of frustration as telling when something like a finger is touching, clipping, or hovering is difficult even in Iray preview mode.

This picture took a long while to setup and it still isn't 100%. (Edit: forgot picture)

For the left figure the thumb is hovering ever so slightly above where I wanted on the penis. The index finger is too far forward because the initial hand position kept causing her hand to clip into the ballsack. So I changed the position entirely as setting up this one shot was taking forever. Some of Meipe's stuff like Breastacular and GP comes with a invisible hand attachment to set collisions but it is not currently available for Futalicious. Perhaps someone is aware of a work around?

For the right figure, her hand is hovering a tiny bit as well. Without a specific face morph for this pose, I don't know how to make her head resting on her knuckles look more natural. So far I've simply changed the camera angle to not show this stuff. I I couldn't do that in this scene because the camera is jammed right up against a sink counter and there is no room. As I move on to actual sex scenes for my VN hiding all this stuff won't be a viable solution. Any tips?
I don't have any good techniques for dealing with interobject collisions in Daz - it frustrates the hell out of me too.

however regarding this bit: "I couldn't do that in this scene because the camera is jammed right up against a sink counter and there is no room" - what you need is an "iray section plane". This is in the Create menu. It adds an invisible plane in the scene that literally cuts off everything from affecting the render that is on one side of the plane. You can't see the effect anywhere but a Iray render, but if you placed the plane correctly (just outside the sink) and your camera inside the sink/wall, it would all be removed from the render

Similarly, you should look into getting the "Iray indoor camera" prop (link on these forums somewhere, or the original is on deviant art) which is a freely released prop/camera thing that includes 4 "Iray section planes" around the camera to cut out all the background. This both can make the render faster (no surfaces outside the camera view to affect the render) and also let lots of light from the HDRI into your indoor scene, which can also make the render faster, and help with making scenes brighter or more natural.

DonJoe

Jul 15, 2019
If I need a light shining through the window effect, I often use Sun-Sky settings and a additional Iray emissive plane.
In my opinion the most natural and realistic way to add some ambient light.
If you just need a well lit interior scene, use the Iray indoor camera osanaiko mentioned and adjust the intensity and rotation of your HDRI.

Here's my setup for the first scenario:

The spotlight is the Sun Node for the Sun-Sky setting, ceiling made just invisible for the screenshot.

Daz_Interior.jpg

Interior_Ambient.jpg

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
You can also point the sun at something, like another camera or a null (or anything in the scene)
sun.jpg
Put your null or camera where you want the suns rays to go, and point the ss sun node at it. go back in your normal camera view, have the sun camera/node selected in the Scene tab ane use the translate tools to move it around until you get right.

Alboe Interactive

Game Developer
Apr 19, 2020
I don't have any good techniques for dealing with interobject collisions in Daz - it frustrates the hell out of me too.

however regarding this bit: "I couldn't do that in this scene because the camera is jammed right up against a sink counter and there is no room" - what you need is an "iray section plane". This is in the Create menu. It adds an invisible plane in the scene that literally cuts off everything from affecting the render that is on one side of the plane. You can't see the effect anywhere but a Iray render, but if you placed the plane correctly (just outside the sink) and your camera inside the sink/wall, it would all be removed from the render

Similarly, you should look into getting the "Iray indoor camera" prop (link on these forums somewhere, or the original is on deviant art) which is a freely released prop/camera thing that includes 4 "Iray section planes" around the camera to cut out all the background. This both can make the render faster (no surfaces outside the camera view to affect the render) and also let lots of light from the HDRI into your indoor scene, which can also make the render faster, and help with making scenes brighter or more natural.
It's amazing what is already included with Daz, shame they don't bother to tell anyone what's there. Thanks for the tip.

darkblaze012

Jul 29, 2018
Hi. What are available daz assets here in f95zone that have presets for skin tone? Just the skin tone/color though which is surfaces right?? I am still learning how to use daz.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Hi. What are available daz assets here in f95zone that have presets for skin tone? Just the skin tone/color though which is surfaces right?? I am still learning how to use daz.
Nearly all daz figure assets have a single "skin" where all the surfaces etc are specified with a fixed coloration. You can't easily* adjust the skin tone.

A few will have a variant "skin" but that's often something extreme like a demon color.

However, it is often possible to mix the assets together, and use another figure's skin. So you get the morphs of the first figure with the skin color and detalls of the second.

Separately there are a few assets which supply replacement skin sets, often these are marked as "merchant resources", as in the creator gives permission for the user to edit and resell the asset in a new character figure product.

*you can slightly adjust the skin tone by changing the color channel of the base diffuse texture map. the skins are generally created assuming the channel color mix is set to pure white, and so you could add a slight color change, but nothing extreme or it will look unnatural.

Reactions: darkblaze012

Tex A

Jan 4, 2021
Hello,

I been looking for a forum like this for a while, stumbled on here while searching for information about working with 3rd Party content in DAZ Studio 4.14. I've spent many frustrating days searching but I'm still unable find a complete solution.

Here's my situation.

I've downloaded the DAZ3D CJ 8 Pro Bundle from the torrent tracker I use, but cannot get the character opened in DAZ. I get a "Missing Files" popup with a long list of files that DAZ cannot find. I'm sure I've got the file structure wrong but after searching the web there's been no answer that's been successful for me.

Ideally I'd like to have a different directory to keep my paid content separate from the bittorrent stuff. I made a directory and simply copied what I downloaded from bittorrent into that directory. I'm sure that's the wrong thing to do though.

There are many directories that came in the torrent download, Here's an example of the directory structure.

IM00042079-01_Genesis8FemaleAnatomicalElements
IM00065909-01_CJ8
IM00066253-01_CocoOutfitforGenesis8Females
IM00066321-01_XFashionSophisticatedJacketOutfit
IM00066447-01_PippaHairforCJ8
Templates_42079_Genesis8FemaleAnatomicalElements
Templates_66321_X-FashionSophisticatedJacketOutfit

These aren't all of the directories but you get the gist of it. Inside those directories there are files and subdirs. For example, the IM00065909-01_CJ8 directory has in it:

A folder called: Content
and two files called: Manifest.dsx & Supplement.dsx

In the Content directory there are the subdirs:
data
People
Runtime

And inside those folders is a rabbit hole of other directories and files.

I'm sure this situation has been addressed a bazillion times but if someone can direct me to another thread that can help me I'd very much appreciate the assistance.

Thanks

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Hello,

I been looking for a forum like this for a while, stumbled on here while searching for information about working with 3rd Party content in DAZ Studio 4.14. I've spent many frustrating days searching but I'm still unable find a complete solution.

Here's my situation.

I've downloaded the DAZ3D CJ 8 Pro Bundle from the torrent tracker I use, but cannot get the character opened in DAZ. I get a "Missing Files" popup with a long list of files that DAZ cannot find. I'm sure I've got the file structure wrong but after searching the web there's been no answer that's been successful for me.

...snip....

I'm sure this situation has been addressed a bazillion times but if someone can direct me to another thread that can help me I'd very much appreciate the assistance.

Thanks
This sticky thread should have everything you need: https://f95zone.to/threads/how-to-install-content-to-daz-w-w-o-install-manager.6045/

tl;dr :
1. use DIM (Daz install manager) if the file is a zip that looks like "IM00001234_SOME_FILE_NAME.zip". Sometimes a bundle of assets will have a wrapper zip with several IMxxx files inside - each of these should be installed with DIM separately.
2. for any other content that is supposed to be daz compatible but does not look like that filename pattern, do a manual install (As per that thread)
3. yes you can use separate folders for official VS pirated but DIM installable VS manual install. The setting window you are looking for in Daz is "Content Directory Manager", accessible via Edit->Preferences->Content,

Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of plastic looking 3d girls with bad lighting, geometry clipping and strange poses :) LOL

Tex A

Jan 4, 2021
This sticky thread should have everything you need: https://f95zone.to/threads/how-to-install-content-to-daz-w-w-o-install-manager.6045/

tl;dr :
1. use DIM (Daz install manager) if the file is a zip that looks like "IM00001234_SOME_FILE_NAME.zip". Sometimes a bundle of assets will have a wrapper zip with several IMxxx files inside - each of these should be installed with DIM separately.
2. for any other content that is supposed to be daz compatible but does not look like that filename pattern, do a manual install (As per that thread)
3. yes you can use separate folders for official VS pirated but DIM installable VS manual install. The setting window you are looking for in Daz is "Content Directory Manager", accessible via Edit->Preferences->Content,

Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of plastic looking 3d girls with bad lighting, geometry clipping and strange poses :) LOL

Ha ha! Thank you osanaiko for the welcome and for the laugh. Also for responding to my question. I've seen a lot a discussion about situations like mine and they always reference the .zip file. Everything I've downloaded from torrent doesn't have a .zip and they're all like the file structure I mentioned in my post. The torrent release group is SOFTiMAGE, maybe you're familiar with them.

Anyway, looks like I'll be doing what you said and installing manually per the sticky thread you gave me. Thank you.

In my many web searches to find a solution I was under the impression that DIM went away when DazCentral came along. I must have gotten that mistaken impression somehow. I've only started working with DAZ recently so I'm unaware of the history.

Thanks again for the help and I'm sure I'll be asking for help again real soon, lol.

Reactions: osanaiko

horndogg16

Apr 19, 2020
I am trying to use Daz on Windows 10.

1. I am using Daz Central and Daz Studio.

2. I do not know where the content folder is exactly located?

3. I used a a folder that I thought was the right one and the content I put in the folder did not show up from the folder in Daz Studio.
I used ( C:/ User> username> Documents> Daz 3D> Studio> My Daz Connect Library)

4. I do not have a Daz Folder in my Public Folder.

5. The zip files I used did not have the IM file, so I copied the following files from those zip files to the above Folder:
a. People
b. Data
c. Runtime
Some of the files had a Template file, I copied those too.
I did not copy Document files.

What am I doing wrong?

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Ill try and help but i do save my actual downloaded assets on a separate drive. Below is from my work pc so pretty much default...

So these are where you can change where you want DAZ to look for the assets. In my work pc's case its default.
1617095749312.png

This is where it seems the assets are installed that you get from DAZ3d Store and is the legal version if you will.

1617095866586.png