Ren'Py Apocalust [psychodelusional] Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
Nothing again this month, I guess. And please, to all the white knights, spare me your usual speeches : " good games need time, people don't understand, bla bla bla, feel entitled, bla bla ". I mean, we didn't even get the trailer which was promised several times before. Come on. What's going on, now ? Dark Neighborhood was updated on the 13.07.2019. 7 months aren't enough for a first release or at least a demo ? Don't get me wrong. I respect Psycho Delusional, but still...
I don't mean to be a white Knight at all here. Just want to say that as a dev, we often underestimate deadlines especially when trying to implement new stuff for the first time and trying to make it look perfect. There's a lot of shit that doesn't go as expected.

From what I've heard from the people in close communication, he's working insane hours to get this out asap and that the quality of this game will be worth the wait.

It's fine to be disappointed in delays, I just hope that no one thinks that Psycho is putting anything but the maximum effort into this release because that would simply be a wrong assumption.

Kakato

Engaged Member
Feb 25, 2017
I don't mean to be a white Knight at all here. Just want to say that as a dev, we often underestimate deadlines especially when trying to implement new stuff for the first time and trying to make it look perfect. There's a lot of shit that doesn't go as expected.

From what I've heard from the people in close communication, he's working insane hours to get this out asap and that the quality of this game will be worth the wait.

It's fine to be disappointed in delays, I just hope that no one thinks that Psycho is putting anything but the maximum effort into this release because that would simply be a wrong assumption.
I totally understand that. As I said in my previous post, I do respect Psychodelusional work. Thing is (I'm not saying that in an agressive or disrespectful way) that he should know by now that giving out deadlines and not meeting them kinda causes frustration among the fans here on F95.

As you said, a lot of devs meet unexpected issues and releases get delayed. It's understandable...Shit happens. We are humans. However, among the " spam/negative/troll vibes " we usually feel in some threads, there are some patient non-pledgers who trust his words and are dissapointed the 3rd or 4th time the date given is reported. Never thought I'd say that, but I think, IMHO, that psychodelusional should now adopt the " Hopesgaming attitude " and stop giving out releases dates. It'll be done when it'll be done is a better choice in order to stop those kind of dissapointments. Don't you think? :unsure:

armion82

Devoted Member
Mar 28, 2017

I think more and more devs are aware of that and tend to be more cautious with annoncement for release date.
Hell now even board games on kikcstarter are getting it.One aiming to start next month is already pointing estimated delivery march 2022.Usualy we go for less than 1 year and guess what.We are waiting at least 5-6 months more.

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
I totally understand that. As I said in my previous post, I do respect Psychodelusional work. Thing is (I'm not saying that in an agressive or disrespectful way) that he should know by now that giving out deadlines and not meeting them kinda causes frustration among the fans here on F95.

As you said, a lot of devs meet unexpected issues and releases get delayed. It's understandable...Shit happens. We are humans. However, among the " spam/negative/troll vibes " we usually feel in some threads, there are some patient non-pledgers who trust his words and are dissapointed the 3rd or 4th time the date given is reported. Never thought I'd say that, but I think, IMHO, that psychodelusional should now adopt the " Hopesgaming attitude " and stop giving out releases dates. It'll be done when it'll be done is a better choice in order to stop those kind of dissapointments. Don't you think? :unsure:
Definitely. I learned that lesson after having to use a few of my vacation days from work to meet a deadline. Wife was not thrilled.

BisonFan02

Apr 2, 2018

No offense to anyone in particular, but at no point should a dev overly concern themselves with the supposed "patient non-pledger" anyway.

The Hopesgaming attitude of not giving release dates doesnt stop the lemmings from asking about release dates and bitching about how long it is between said updates....it's best to just ignore it.

Reactions: DaDUde

Zolkane

Jun 2, 2017
everything will comeback to normal when the first update will be out and after this every 2 or 2 1/2 months will release a new update

HerbertIronsides

Oct 2, 2017
You know if devs just simply said "The game/update I am working on is taking a decent amount of time so I am not sure when it will be done, I will update everyone a week or so out from release when I am 99% done". There would be a lot less anger in the posts, especially from the people that pay these guys patreons. Instead any dev with any success pretty obviously makes release dates they can't/won't keep so that the next month rolls over and they get that check. Now of course things happen and sometimes a release will be missed, but these devs that push it back 2-3+ times and expect sympathy and understanding should not get any.

Status
Not open for further replies.