GamerDaddy

Feb 6, 2023
Good day to all! I have a problem, I can no longer explore the world with the help of a car, writes that the damage is 100 percent and there is no way to fix it, or I forgot how to do it. Help please
exploring you will find a toxic cave (gas mask needed) explore said cave you will find parts % chance

Reactions: UncleEd001sex

5mithers

Aug 3, 2019
OK, I know I come here and talk a lot of smack about messing with the code in the console, etc. But I have a really dumb newbie question:

How do you export/import your saves from one version to the next? I really am enjoying the game, but I must admit to a feeling of burnout from having to start from scratch every single time. It's honestly why I started poking around in the console. lol

hans_markoff

May 18, 2023
OK, I know I come here and talk a lot of smack about messing with the code in the console, etc. But I have a really dumb newbie question:

How do you export/import your saves from one version to the next? I really am enjoying the game, but I must admit to a feeling of burnout from having to start from scratch every single time. It's honestly why I started poking around in the console. lol
Saves so far have been compatible between versions.

Did you forget to save to disk, lol?

ttyrke

Game Developer
Jun 10, 2017

Saves are compatible between versions. You can even load 0.01 version save and it should work for 0.49 version.
If your saves "disappear", you either play from incognito mode or your browser cache gets cleared, or at least for me, once windows update cleared cache too.

Anyways you should never start a new game with newer version, it should always work. If you play incognito mode, you can always use "save to disk" just to be sure your saves are safe.

Jun 6, 2024
I've been playing for about a week & I love the concept.

I've experienced a minor bug. Have a girl with woodland skill but can't gift her a b9w to assign her to hunt. I've made several bows & tried increasing her strength, but nothing works.

Some unsolicited suggestions;
▪︎Turning the settlement into a human dairy farm. Maybe even taking it farther with slaves as draft animals, ponys, etc.
▪︎A shotgun for hitting multiple targets at once.
▪︎Adding a brothel to the settlement. (I think others have already suggested this.)
▪︎Consider letting someone write storyline for you as you say you don't care to.

Thanks for the great game & your continued work on it.

Reactions: Kira44444

Billshwr

Feb 17, 2021
I noticed you have added a pack performance to assist with larger number of girl packs… will you be added any more to the standard options?

5mithers

Aug 3, 2019
Saves are compatible between versions. You can even load 0.01 version save and it should work for 0.49 version.
If your saves "disappear", you either play from incognito mode or your browser cache gets cleared, or at least for me, once windows update cleared cache too.

Anyways you should never start a new game with newer version, it should always work. If you play incognito mode, you can always use "save to disk" just to be sure your saves are safe.
Interesting. Through both Chrome and Firefox, my saves do not carry over between versions. And I have never had Sugarcube games using the "save to disk" function, then the "load from disk" actually load any saves. It acts like it does something, but the save list remains empty afterwards. In both Chrome/Firefox I have Adblock plus and Privacy Badger installed. Privacy Badger shows it is blocking a cookie for GoogleTagManager

Current run in firefox 0.38a:
1717713795077.png

Then without closing firefox, opening 0.39:
1717713766579.png

This has been my experience with every Sugarcube/Twine based game. Regardless of browser used. Maybe it's ABP/Privacy Badger? But the saves persist in a given version throughout reboots/etc. They just don't survive changing versions.

Honestly, I don't expect anybody to solve this, just assumed this was a weird known bug of Sugarcube. Alas, sounds like it's just my problem/PEBKAC.

*Edit: Weird example. In 0.38a I do a Save to Disk. Then delete a few saves. Then do a Load from Disk. The ones deleted remain deleted. Nothing is restored by doing the Load from Disk, indicating it failed to actually import (or possibly export) the data.

Last edited:

hans_markoff

May 18, 2023
Save to Disk has always worked for me for many twine games.

It should generate a text file named apocalyptic-world-yearmonthday-hourminutesecond.save, default location is in your downloads folder.

Obviously, one of your blocking apps/etc is the problem here.

Reactions: GamerDaddy

5mithers

Aug 3, 2019
Save to Disk has always worked for me for many twine games.

It should generate a text file named apocalyptic-world-yearmonthday-hourminutesecond.save, default location is in your downloads folder.

Obviously, one of your blocking apps/etc is the problem here.
Seems like it. It generates the save file. Looks to be a base64 encoded binary blob.

Doing more research, regardless of the number of saves in the game, the save file export seems to be identical every time. (as in checksums identically every time. 1 save, 5 saves, 8 saves. Always identical.

Guessing that is the root of the problem on my end.

Code:
$ sha256sum apocalyptic-world-20240606-22*
d8cb925389f5e581c271e45fa18e49890970fcddf2eb3cd083749aa5842cfbc0  apocalyptic-world-20240606-220833.save # 1 save
d8cb925389f5e581c271e45fa18e49890970fcddf2eb3cd083749aa5842cfbc0  apocalyptic-world-20240606-220841.save # 5 saves
d8cb925389f5e581c271e45fa18e49890970fcddf2eb3cd083749aa5842cfbc0  apocalyptic-world-20240606-220848.save # 8 saves

5mithers

Aug 3, 2019
OK, finally figured out what my dumbass wasn't understanding with how Twine/Sugarcube deals with this.

Seems that by default Firefox sandboxes local html cache files based on path. So not having saves automatically from one version to the next makes sense.

ALSO, the save to disk/load to disk is a snapshot of states. It is a single save file generated to be loaded as a point-in-time restore. It does not load the save slots back. This is the crucial detail I wasn't understanding.

I tested a few different ways, but this is working "as designed". I was able to prove it out by unzipping a clean copy of the 0.39 game (no packs installed) and "Load from Disk" loading a save from 0.38a without also loading in all the packs. It loaded my save state, and threw errors about the missing packs.

The behavior I was seeing was loading that save state when everything was actually working (where it appeared to do "nothing"). I was expecting it to load the save slots, not the active state at the time the save-to-disk file was generated.

So yeah, ultimately it was in fact PEBKAC. And apparently messing with browser based games should be put on my Murtaugh List.

ttyrke

Game Developer
Jun 10, 2017
Can anyone show how to use custom portraits with 0.39? Also packs are not working for me.
You mean textbox? You just need to paste there full url to the image.
For example:
And then press "choose"

Klaabu

Feb 19, 2019
nightclub - follow the girl (woman) outsaid, option fight - was 2 dudes and girl, now is 3 dudes?

3.60 star(s) 29 Votes