nad destroyer

Jul 27, 2017
dude this is f95 you know it right ? there are lots of pirate links this is the reason i am here i amsupporting the game and let the others get a taste of this game because this game has really good potential i shared that link to get the game developer some support so if developer aint okay with those links i will not share them again.
No really. I didn't know this was a pirate website. Such a shocking revelation! I don't even know why you replied to me. I said what that needed to be said. I download pirated links too. But I don't when the developers are here on this website. I never even quoted you either so I wasn't looking to make an issue of it. Case closed.

Anonynn

Game Developer
Feb 25, 2018
dude this is f95 you know it right ? there are lots of pirate links this is the reason i am here i amsupporting the game and let the others get a taste of this game because this game has really good potential i shared that link to get the game developer some support so if developer aint okay with those links i will not share them again.
Thanks for the compliment! I'm glad you think the game has great potential and I appreciate your support! As far as the link goes, it's really supposed to be for patrons to test because when the public builds discover bugs it can be extremely embarrassing XD However, like I said if people who are downloading it are reporting bugs they find from that build and then supporting the game if they do indeed like it, then it might be okay. This is a pirate site after all. And since you are supporting the game the link is kinda of yours to do with what you like with. I think it all comes down to intentions. The only thing I do ask is that you not share the link with other sites that I'm not actively on. ^_^

Anonynn

Reactions: Serenirrr and Gabaw

Anonynn

Game Developer
Feb 25, 2018
AMS v0.97C (PTB-MidPoint) is LIVE!
Words: 1,504,927
LinesOfCode: 74,535

Check it out and leave reviews/comments ^___^ Thank you!

Blog Link:
And you can donate here if you like it!
Public Discord:

Reactions: nad destroyer

supermanz95

Aug 7, 2016
Was there no way around having to install this to play while in process of development ?

Anonynn

Game Developer
Feb 25, 2018
Was there no way around having to install this to play while in process of development ?
Hello! The three developers of Quest are currently moving toward making it completely browser based as originally intended. At the start of release v5.8 coming out soon, it'll take it's first steps in that direction. The original developer was aiming to make it this way as far as I know but as Quest became more complex, he was forced to use a very specific type of coding which was developed solely for Windows. Because of this, the online version started suffering and falling behind.

There is currently a browser version of my game which can be played straight from the Quest website (but you have to sign up and verify you're 18) but given the nature of it's size and complexity, and the limitations of the website itself (it's basically all run from one server/computer for everyone visiting the site) the online version is a little unstable. It may freeze, crash etc. I have absolutely no control over that.

The download of the Quest Engine is completely safe though. If you want to see the website for yourself, here's the link.

and here is the forum. Everyone is pretty active on it.

If you are still wary about using Quest, or you have any questions for me, just lemme know and I'll be happy to walk you through it step by step, if needed. :)

Anonynn.

Reactions: zcbmmbcz and Gabaw
D

Deleted member 285042

is it me or did they take the map from lord of the rings and rename places?

Anonynn

Game Developer
Feb 25, 2018
is it me or did they take the map from lord of the rings and rename places?
Hello! Thank you very much for the very prestigious compliment! I actually drew that map entirely by hand :) If it's Lord of the Rings quality in appearance though, then I guess I did good! :D It took me about...2 days to pencil everything in and then 2 days to ink it---then I had to scan it and darkened it in Paint Tool Sai.

But really that's one of the best compliments someone can give about the map (in my opinion) because I hold Lord of the Rings to the utmost standard of map-making!

Anonynn.

D

Deleted member 285042

Hello! Thank you very much for the very prestigious compliment! I actually drew that map entirely by hand :) If it's Lord of the Rings quality in appearance though, then I guess I did good! :D It took me about...2 days to pencil everything in and then 2 days to ink it---then I had to scan it and darkened it in Paint Tool Sai.

But really that's one of the best compliments someone can give about the map (in my opinion) because I hold Lord of the Rings to the utmost standard of map-making!

Anonynn.
i looked at them side by side and they are different. just reminded me alot of lord of the rings. you did better then good. its an awesome map. xD i just thought it looked just like middle earth.

Anonynn

Game Developer
Feb 25, 2018
i looked at them side by side and they are different. just reminded me alot of lord of the rings. you did better then good. its an awesome map. XD i just thought it looked just like middle earth.
Thank you so much! :D I really, really appreciate the compliment. I'm glad you enjoy it so much! It definitely makes me happy to see people enjoying something I worked very hard on :)

Anonynn.

zcbmmbcz

Nov 6, 2017
@Anonynn I remember playing the online version of this quite a while ago and I remember it was a buggy mess. I mean, if I left the browser on for too long it'd just suddenly stop working and everything would freeze, and sometimes it'd just freeze regardless. It took me a lot of time (and a lot of refreshes) to get past the first fight and into the house.
Please tell me those bugs are fixed in the downloadable version! This game seems promising, but those bugs really killed the game for me back then.

Anonynn

Game Developer
Feb 25, 2018
@Anonynn I remember playing the online version of this quite a while ago and I remember it was a buggy mess. I mean, if I left the browser on for too long it'd just suddenly stop working and everything would freeze, and sometimes it'd just freeze regardless. It took me a lot of time (and a lot of refreshes) to get past the first fight and into the house.
Please tell me those bugs are fixed in the downloadable version! This game seems promising, but those bugs really killed the game for me back then.
Hello! Thanks for playing the game way back when! You might be happy to know that the reason it was freezing wasn't my game! The online version is hosted from the Quest website which is run from a single computer/server for every single person visiting the site/playing games. So sometimes too many people are visiting and it slows everything down tremendously or stops processes. Of course, how big my game is doesn't help anything. I'm so sorry that the experience caused you so much frustration though. :/ Once Quest releases version 5.8 it'll be there first small step in making all the games played via browser instead of downloaded or online. Cool, huh? :D

I'm not sure when you last played but I hope the downloaded version is much better! You'll have to let me know what you think :) Keep in mind, Chapter 2 is only at the beginning stages because I'm almost finished with the Chapter 1 remaster. I only have a bit left to go on it which is super exciting!

Anonynn.

Reactions: zcbmmbcz

zcbmmbcz

Nov 6, 2017
@Anonynn So far, it seems pretty good. The freezing bug is gone, but there's a bug with the save. After I got the key and went downstairs, I saved. But when I tried to restart, it sent me back to the candles, before I met w/ Hannah, and told me the first quest wasn't done even though it won't let me do the first interaction with Hannah again, and thus get the key back. Then, when I tried to restart again, Quest just white-screened and refused to close.
BTW, I have a suggestion. First, can you please display the height range for each race? Personally I wasn't expecting the elf race to be ~1 meter tall. Also, can you make a "back" button for the character creation? This will make things a lot easier for people who don't want to go through the entire process if they screwed up.

Anonynn

Game Developer
Feb 25, 2018
@Anonynn So far, it seems pretty good. The freezing bug is gone, but there's a bug with the save. After I got the key and went downstairs, I saved. But when I tried to restart, it sent me back to the candles, before I met w/ Hannah, and told me the first quest wasn't done even though it won't let me do the first interaction with Hannah again, and thus get the key back. Then, when I tried to restart again, Quest just white-screened and refused to close.
BTW, I have a suggestion. First, can you please display the height range for each race? Personally I wasn't expecting the elf race to be ~1 meter tall. Also, can you make a "back" button for the character creation? This will make things a lot easier for people who don't want to go through the entire process if they screwed up
Hm, I'll have to look into the save issue. As for the height range, it's randomized depending on what race you choose and what gender you choose, so it takes those two variables and combines them to create the randomized number. Where do you suggest I put the height ranges? :) As far as the back button goes, I might be able to implement something like that but I'm not 100% sure whether or not that'll mess up the process. I'll have to test it.

Thanks for the suggestions! I hope despite the small hiccups that you had fun!

Anonynn.

zcbmmbcz

Nov 6, 2017
Hm, I'll have to look into the save issue. As for the height range, it's randomized depending on what race you choose and what gender you choose, so it takes those two variables and combines them to create the randomized number. Where do you suggest I put the height ranges? :) As far as the back button goes, I might be able to implement something like that but I'm not 100% sure whether or not that'll mess up the process. I'll have to test it.

Thanks for the suggestions! I hope despite the small hiccups that you had fun!

Anonynn.
I suggest you put the height ranges (shortest to tallest regardless of gender) on the section about choosing your race. That way players will have an easier time choosing the race. I feel height is certainly needed for your game since elves are especially short. Usually, elves in fantasy games are either human-sized or slightly taller, and so having elves be super short will catch a lot of people by surprise.

Anonynn

Game Developer
Feb 25, 2018
I suggest you put the height ranges (shortest to tallest regardless of gender) on the section about choosing your race. That way players will have an easier time choosing the race. I feel height is certainly needed for your game since elves are especially short. Usually, elves in fantasy games are either human-sized or slightly taller, and so having elves be super short will catch a lot of people by surprise.
Hello again :) I appreciate the suggestion. I can likely do the height thing, that wouldn't be too much of a problem. I can probably split it up between male and female max heights as well so people know for sure what range they can get into. I can also increase the elf heights if they are too low. Right now they are randomized between 5.0 and 6.0 I think. But I'll double check and make sure.

I implemented a "back" button into the character creator too and although it worked, we won't be able to use it, unfortunately. Each choice in the character creator adds to your stats at the end of each choice---so if the player were to select something and then hit "back", it would keep stacking their stats! >.< ! I was excited about it until I discovered that. If I had a character creator that added everything up at the end, that wouldn't be a problem but it would require another complete redesign of the creator :/ Sorry about that.

As for the save, I checked it out and added quests to the Save/Load (it's all about fixing saves as we go so that they include everything they are supposed to). So hopefully the next release will save your progress a little better.

I appreciate your time!

Anonynn.

zcbmmbcz

Nov 6, 2017
Hello again :) I appreciate the suggestion. I can likely do the height thing, that wouldn't be too much of a problem. I can probably split it up between male and female max heights as well so people know for sure what range they can get into. I can also increase the elf heights if they are too low. Right now they are randomized between 5.0 and 6.0 I think. But I'll double check and make sure.

I implemented a "back" button into the character creator too and although it worked, we won't be able to use it, unfortunately. Each choice in the character creator adds to your stats at the end of each choice---so if the player were to select something and then hit "back", it would keep stacking their stats! >.< ! I was excited about it until I discovered that. If I had a character creator that added everything up at the end, that wouldn't be a problem but it would require another complete redesign of the creator :/ Sorry about that.

As for the save, I checked it out and added quests to the Save/Load (it's all about fixing saves as we go so that they include everything they are supposed to). So hopefully the next release will save your progress a little better.

I appreciate your time!

Anonynn.
For the elf height, I don't think it'll be that much of a problem. I mean, you should prob put a poll up on Patreon and ask for a preference. It's traditional fantasy elf vs. Santa Clause's elf.
Hopefully you'll be able to find a way to put a back button in somehow. Best of luck to you! o7
Yay for the save/load changes! :D Will this fix the save problem w/ the basement? As I've said before, I saved while in the basement, but when I loaded the save, I was sent back to the candles, the room right before the basement.

On a separate note, is Quest holding you back? I feel that a system like the one Fenoxo uses for COC/TITS is much better suited for games in general. From the looks of it, Quest is awkward to use and is holding you back. I know transferring the entire game to another system is completely out of the question, I'm just kinda concerned about Quest's viability.

zcbmmbcz

Nov 6, 2017
@Anonynn Oh, yeah, one more small request. Could you please put the sound option earlier on? Preferably before it actually starts playing? Especially since there is no back button and if you screw up you have to back to the start, since it'd start playing once more when you try and make a new character.

Anonynn

Game Developer
Feb 25, 2018
For the elf height, I don't think it'll be that much of a problem. I mean, you should prob put a poll up on Patreon and ask for a preference. It's traditional fantasy elf vs. Santa Clause's elf.
Hopefully you'll be able to find a way to put a back button in somehow. Best of luck to you! o7
Yay for the save/load changes! :D Will this fix the save problem w/ the basement? As I've said before, I saved while in the basement, but when I loaded the save, I was sent back to the candles, the room right before the basement.

On a separate note, is Quest holding you back? I feel that a system like the one Fenoxo uses for COC/TITS is much better suited for games in general. From the looks of it, Quest is awkward to use and is holding
you back. I know transferring the entire game to another system is completely out of the question, I'm just kinda concerned about Quest's viability.
Well, I already have gnomes, dwarves and halflings that are the shorter races so increasing human and elven height slightly shouldn't be too much of a hassle at all.

As for the Save/Load, little things need to be added at a time and one problem solved at a time. I won't know if the fix is saved until you try it again. It covers a very broad spectrum, so all the detailed parts of a save, I have to add little by little until everything is covered :)

Quest is actually the only reason my game can be as big as it is. I believe my game is much bigger in wordage and coding than CoC/Tits/Newlife and Trap Quest (quite possibly the beginning text adventure ever made since the current record is 800k) but I don't know for sure since I don't know their word counts. Mine is around 1.5 million words with 100,000 lines of code and growing fast. I think Fen uses a form of Flash but Flash is being phased out year after year and will eventually be obsolete. It might be suited for smaller games but bigger games like PPUT (Princess Peach's Untold Tale) tend to lag the longer you play them. Over the next couple of years Quest is going to be moved into browsers only so their won't be any downloads or operating systems that can't handle it.

I haven't felt like I've been held back except with the Save/Load System --- which will take time to perfect and get right since I'm the only one using that type of Save. The reason for that is that I probably have the biggest game on Quest---not in size but content/sheer number of words. Most Quest games are bloated with uncompressed pictures/music which makes their games like over 20mb but mine is 10mb and takes about 3-4 hours to completely compile. In any case, that allows users to use the Default Save of Quest which saves the entire file as a single instance. This basically means if I update the game and you try to load your save, it wouldn't work. You can't use the save from one update to another. With Save/Load, it encrypts the data and allows players to jump from one version to another without any problems. Naturally though, there are sometimes hiccups but that's because Save/Load is in it's infancy stages. Eventually it'll work perfectly. It's just a matter of finding all the little bugs.

Oh, yeah, one more small request. Could you please put the sound option earlier on? Preferably before it actually starts playing? Especially since there is no back button and if you screw up you have to back to the start, since it'd start playing once more when you try and make a new character.
The sound off button is pretty much right in the beginning --- I think it's the second question, right after being asked if you'd like stats to be shown or not. Even if it was the first question you'd still hear the gear up of the music :p I think I'm eventually going to have the Create Character/Load Game/Select Pre-Made Character questions to be right on the title page which is also when the music begins. Maybe then I can add the option for music right in the beginning at the title :)

Anonynn.

1.90 star(s) 7 Votes