Ren'Py Abandoned Arms of Time [v0.1] [Befree]

befree

Game Developer
Sep 14, 2019
The three girls are by default the landlord and roommates (not incest), but during the introduction you can set the name of the MC and their relationships. I like to give the player freedom of choice. There will be still many situations where the player has freedom of choice, hence the three endings and alignment system.

Reactions: 9inchz

Fzoner95

Oct 13, 2017
Compress your images! At least use jpg, but much better is webp, because size is even smaller and webp can use alpha channel. Some of your images are 12MB, which is ridiculous for one image. It will look the exact same with 200KB or 250KB
Well, his images are in 4k so 200kB is too little, just tried it. 500-1000 kB is a good size for 4k images I think, I played around with the webp-quality setting a bit. A value between 80 and 90 should deliver good compression without tempering with the quality too much.

But yeah, the uncompressed images are much too big.

Killer94

Feb 4, 2018
Alright let's get to the review part

as a lover of time stuff (time travel -time stop...etc) this is definitely a game that i am looking for

the girls are nice but not super hot, though they might become in the future.......

The plot itself is not original but the story makes up to it......not sayin it’s 100%original but so far it really nice to play

The hologram things in the room should get fixed since somehow it starts feeling like the crazy doc was really there .........weird.....but the humor was a nice touch

The lack of any sexual content aside from the shower incidents a big minus but again for a demo we can let it pass .....hopefully will get some in future releases ....

A piece of small advice give other characters name a different color to differentiate between them ...it will be much easier to read and understand

The renders are pretty good so far...

Overall the game is nice and intriguing and I'm looking for it for more releases....if I had to give her a score right now i'll give her note between 3.9-4.2/5 ....why .....well as I said it's a demo we just got introduced to the characters and the build for the story ...we didn't get any sexual interaction yet but we are getting there........ the game is promising and if it continues this way i'm sure many will jump on its train....at least i hope so.....overall there is some quality in it let to see where it can go with it .....looking forward to it

PS
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

darkhound1

Game Developer
Aug 8, 2017
Well, his images are in 4k so 200kB is too little, just tried it. 500-1000 kB is a good size for 4k images I think, I played around with the webp-quality setting a bit. A value between 80 and 90 should deliver good compression without tempering with the quality too much.

But yeah, the uncompressed images are much too big.
4K is almost never needed. I use 2560x1440 most of the time now. If you just slighty blur the background, 170KB to 230KB is enough. You get that with a compression setting between 80 and 87. But even for 4K you will get away with 350KB if you know what you're doing, but in my opinion if you don't want to zoom in 2x or more, using 4K images is a waste of space.
Try blurring the background with just a radius of 1 or 1.5 and the image will get considerably smaller. You won't really notice the blur. It looks like a very mild DOF effect.

Reactions: Fantabaldu

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Avaron1974 I know it is a bit of familiar story line, but it is needed for future developments. It is my first game and that is why we need proper funding to achieve what we plan. Games like this can cost an arm and a leg if you don't have the resources and what we plan will be big and we will need a lot of support. We are starting small, but hope to grow.
That's just it though, it's your first game in an industry with an abundance of games with many devs already proving themselves and taking up a large chunk of peoples disposable income.

Unless you have gaming gold on your hands or the luck of the gods, you won't get a lot of support.

At best you'll be looking at maybe 1k a month maybe slightly more.

There are far more games than there are people willing to back them and all you've offered is the exact same setting every incest game has offered. It's been used that often it's a trope now.

I'm not trying to put you down but you're expecting a lot while offering something we've all seen many times before.

Just some food for thought but a lot of those games with the abandoned tag have all expected to make money on a first game and they failed. Those that have made it didn't ask for the money, they worked and put in the effort.

It just seems like you are setting yourself up for a fall talking about money this early.

Killer94

Feb 4, 2018
That's just it though, it's your first game in an industry with an abundance of games with many devs already proving themselves and taking up a large chunk of peoples disposable income.

Unless you have gaming gold on your hands or the luck of the gods, you won't get a lot of support.

At best you'll be looking at maybe 1k a month maybe slightly more.

There are far more games than there are people willing to back them and all you've offered is the exact same setting every incest game has offered. It's been used that often it's a trope now.

I'm not trying to put you down but you're expecting a lot while offering something we've all seen many times before.

Just some food for thought but a lot of those games with the abandoned tag have all expected to make money on a first game and they failed. Those that have made it didn't ask for the money, they worked and put in the effort.

It just seems like you are setting yourself up for a fall talking about money this early.
and me who thought that the old you was gone and a new one has shown up less harsh with words a more kind in showing people where they were wrong...
i agree with everything u just said ...(maybe it's me because i am a sensitive person)...but i found a tiny bit harsh even tho it's the pure truth
although i would've just say .....let him learn by himself.....life does teach people who got exposed to it not the ones who are hidden in the hoods and waits for miracles to happen
let him get the taste of failure and success by himself....let him knows what's working and what is not.....so he can correct himself and probably get better in the future
As a new dev -if I was one- if I got exposed to your comment i would probably either get discouraged or triggered by it..even tho I know it the plain simple truth u were saying there .....not everyone reacts the same way...some might find it harsh others might find it provocative....others might even get discouraged......it's simple, it's the plain and harsh reality of the market....but different reaction to that
Again i'm with everything u just said...but i would rather let him experience that in first hands than telling him about it......but probably this just me ...

Fzoner95

Oct 13, 2017
in my opinion if you don't want to zoom in 2x or more, using 4K images is a waste of space.
I think it's not if you have a 4K display. Which I don't, I have 1920x1200. But I dislike it if games just use the small HD resolution (720p) or anything under FullHD (like Betrayed for example). So I can't blame the dev for supporting modern hardware.

But sure, blurring the background is a great idea anyway and will save space!

befree

Game Developer
Sep 14, 2019
Avaron1974 what killer94 said is true, it is a bit discouraging, but fortunately people's disbelieves motivates me to succeed. Believe me or not, but I actually do agree with both of you almost 100%. I am not doing this for just the money though, 1k will even be enough as you suggested. I am doing this to build my experience and test the waters so I can expand and get better.
Secondly, there is a reason I am starting with this setting that is more common that it should be. If you follow the game and its story you will understand in due time. I have played almost every game out there that follows this setting and I believe that there is one route no one has taken yet. Whether it will succeed or not is up to me. Whether I get the patrons or not will not change my dedication to this project, nor will negative comments, (not saying your comments are negative, just a bit harsh, and I appreciate it actually). I have a unique idea and I WILL finish it. Patron support will only help make it better and faster and that is all I am asking for. Do you know how much it already cost me to just build this introduction. I spared no expense. Sure, I have limited resources, but I threw everything at it I could afford out of my own pocket. All I am saying is, money is not the issue here, but I enjoy what I do and I hope I can make a living from it one day. Now would be better, but I can wait and learn.
Thirdly, almost every aspect and setting you can imagine has already been covered by developers before, and it is up to new developers like myself and others to make them fresh and expand on them and if we manage to find something new, grab it and run with it. For now, this something "new" I have will stay my little secret until the game reaches that point.

All in all, thanks for the feedback and critique, and even if you never support me as a patron, I hope you will follow the development of this game and the story, because I believe you will be pleasantly surprised in the end.

Mormont

Devoted Member
Nov 30, 2018
Another dev that is doing sandbox right and keeping it simple I hope you don't plan on making any changes to that the navigation is good pretty much straight forward certainly better than some sandbox games that I've played. The models look good interesting story to look forward to as well good job so far. (y)

Reactions: befree and Killer94

pasunna

Game Developer
Feb 11, 2019
Avaron1974 what killer94 said is true, it is a bit discouraging, but fortunately people's disbelieves motivates me to succeed. Believe me or not, but I actually do agree with both of you almost 100%. I am not doing this for just the money though, 1k will even be enough as you suggested. I am doing this to build my experience and test the waters so I can expand and get better.
Secondly, there is a reason I am starting with this setting that is more common that it should be. If you follow the game and its story you will understand in due time. I have played almost every game out there that follows this setting and I believe that there is one route no one has taken yet. Whether it will succeed or not is up to me. Whether I get the patrons or not will not change my dedication to this project, nor will negative comments, (not saying your comments are negative, just a bit harsh, and I appreciate it actually). I have a unique idea and I WILL finish it. Patron support will only help make it better and faster and that is all I am asking for. Do you know how much it already cost me to just build this introduction. I spared no expense. Sure, I have limited resources, but I threw everything at it I could afford out of my own pocket. All I am saying is, money is not the issue here, but I enjoy what I do and I hope I can make a living from it one day. Now would be better, but I can wait and learn.
Thirdly, almost every aspect and setting you can imagine has already been covered by developers before, and it is up to new developers like myself and others to make them fresh and expand on them and if we manage to find something new, grab it and run with it. For now, this something "new" I have will stay my little secret until the game reaches that point.

All in all, thanks for the feedback and critique, and even if you never support me as a patron, I hope you will follow the development of this game and the story, because I believe you will be pleasantly surprised in the end.
don't listen to critique too much
everyone had their opinion especially
the one that never make a thing and never responsible for creating a thing
their expect are tall high but they never go on climbing
keep climbing your hill even if there is no one agreeing
it's your game your choice
what matter are you enjoyed what you do that is everything
you can change it later if something bad happening
good luck with your game

Last edited:
Reactions: befree

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
and me who thought that the old you was gone and a new one has shown up less harsh with words a more kind in showing people where they were wrong...
I said i'd insult people less that's all.

As of yet I haven't insulted anyone.

Came damn close with the guy above that pipes into a conversation without reading what that conversation was about and getting it completely wrong.

Reactions: Dave3518 and Kalkuv

Killer94

Feb 4, 2018
I said i'd insult people less that's all.

As of yet I haven't insulted anyone.

Came damn close with the guy above that pipes into a conversation without reading what that conversation was about and getting it completely wrong.
i did read it all...but as i said i just find it a bit tiny harsh...not that i don't agree with what u said i really do...but the way you put it out there.... I found it a bit tiny harsh....but again maybe it's just me cause I'm a sensitive guy

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
i did read it all...but as i said i just find it a bit tiny harsh...not that i don't agree with what u said i really do...but the way you put it out there.... I found it a bit tiny harsh....but again maybe it's just me cause I'm a sensitive guy
I was talking about that pasunna guy.

ThunderRob

Devoted Member
May 10, 2018
Well..it was ok..not bad not good..just in the middle..felt the same as too many other games...hoping the future that time stuff makes it stand out..but from the intro..its just kind of meh to me...i wont quit on it immediately will wait for the next update and see if it has the ability to change my meh's to yeh's

ltpika

Engaged Member
Aug 6, 2016
Time manipulation is an interesting premise. But we're all used to new games coming out with a barren sandbox and just a few peeping scenes, so I tend to hold off downloading until more work is put into it. So few make it beyond a few updates, hopefully it can beat the odds. But releasing with tiny amounts of content seems to be the trap that kills so many games, can't get supporters if it's not substantial out of the gate.