Grim

Aug 17, 2016
The game runs fine with the new dll, but I'm hesitant to say it fixed the problem since I've only been testing with it for less than a day, and the crashing has always been intermittent for me. I figure if I can go a week or more without crashing then I'll call it solved.

If you want to try it as well:
1. Make a backup of AAUnlimited/lib/dgd3d9.dll. I just added a .bak extension to mine and left it in the folder.
2. Download dgVoodoo2_82_4.zip from here:
3. Copy D3D9.dll from MS/x86 in the zip file you downloaded and paste it into AAUnlimited/lib, and then rename it to dgd3d9.dll so it matches the old dll name.
As an update to this, I haven't experienced any further crashing related to loading cards in the character/clothing editors since replacing the old dll with the newer one. Prior to that I was frequently crashing. The only crashes I've had since then have been a few upon exiting the game, but those seem to be an unrelated issue and are inconsequential.

Reactions: JustAl

garm0

Mar 4, 2023
As an update to this, I haven't experienced any further crashing related to loading cards in the character/clothing editors since replacing the old dll with the newer one. Prior to that I was frequently crashing. The only crashes I've had since then have been a few upon exiting the game, but those seem to be an unrelated issue and are inconsequential.
I just experienced a crash in game after updating the DLL, but it is less frequent than it used to be.

Grim

Aug 17, 2016
I just experienced a crash in game after updating the DLL, but it is less frequent than it used to be.
Better than nothing I guess. Seems like some (most?) people weren't getting any crashes even with the old dll, so it might be due to hardware/driver differences, like different GPUs.

Reactions: garm0

Grim

Aug 17, 2016
For anyone who's familiar how the different modules work, what's the ideal module/trait combination for giving killers the best chance of getting away with murder? I've been stacking the Armed/Thorough modules on them along with the Lucky trait, but I'm wondering if that isn't redundant. Reading through the trigger logic as best as I can, it seems like the Armed and Thorough modules are automatically adding the Lucky trait in those situations anyway, so giving the card that trait doesn't seem to actually be necessary.

Beyond that, I'm wondering if having both the Armed and Thorough modules is necessary, or if just the Thorough module would be sufficient. I don't necessarily need the killers to be able to defend themselves against other killers, which is where I think the Armed module would come in. I just want them to succeed at killing their targets.

JustAl

Jan 28, 2022
For anyone who's familiar how the different modules work, what's the ideal module/trait combination for giving killers the best chance of getting away with murder? I've been stacking the Armed/Thorough modules on them along with the Lucky trait, but I'm wondering if that isn't redundant. Reading through the trigger logic as best as I can, it seems like the Armed and Thorough modules are automatically adding the Lucky trait in those situations anyway, so giving the card that trait doesn't seem to actually be necessary.

Beyond that, I'm wondering if having both the Armed and Thorough modules is necessary, or if just the Thorough module would be sufficient. I don't necessarily need the killers to be able to defend themselves against other killers, which is where I think the Armed module would come in. I just want them to succeed at killing their targets.
Oh, you're in luck: I was working on a feminine protag who will get away with Murder. The answer will surprise you.

I'll start with the common sense stuff. If a character commits a proper murder, they will succeed if their target is not Lucky, but then may get caught if the killer is not Lucky. If both are, they are mutually unlucky because the Luck perk will nullify.

Next, witnesses. Thorough module simply checks for any other classmates in the same room as you, and if it's zero the condition lets the murderer get away with it. However... "room" considers private rooms as unique rooms. If the characters are in one of those "sex closet" kind of rooms, they're technically in a new room. Typically only the sex start dialogue can happen here, but some modules change topics here to force the murder dialogue, causing a murder in a room that almost always can never have more than just those 2 people inside... unless a special scenario like Kidnapper happens in which 3 people are in the room, which will probably count as a witness since I don't see anything that would prevent the student from counting +1 in the same room check.

Okay then, so what about "killing" cards without actual murder?

Yes, this is actually a thing. "Expel" is kicking the card out of the class, and some modules do that.

I'll share some names of modules relevant to affecting murder in this nature. I'll read from my plan doc and only include what should act on murder towards this way. Mostly only things that change how murder is recognized but maybe a personality style one or so.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

There's the above for my planning based on the modules I found related to murder, some found in the main pack but many found strewn about in different uploads. None of these are what I need for my particular approaches though, hence why I researched and studied the modules to make my own appropriate triggers. There was also an AI mod that Arde645 posted a few pages back, converted from PP format to PPX format for the latest AA2-AAU Mini builds. I haven't returned with notes on my experience yet so now is the best time to post my finds.

The AI overhaul mod causes many great effects, but has one effect that strongly breaks the functionality of club-based modules for dedicated NPC characters.

The AI mod makes interactions like insults, fighting, travel to class together, general "Minna" (group) actions more common, and such. Based on a rare (seen once only) glitchy conversation, it can even cause spontaneous breakups but this rarely leads to a character initiating a breakup with you while you never got into a relationship, causing no effect but Hate points. However the problem is it makes students frequently change club. This makes it nearly impossible to have gang factions since surprisingly despite good relationships with their dominant friend (not official leader), or cards with Banchou / Cultist module (actual leader), or Club Leader (in-between level of leader), members of clubs just roam way more often so half the class has changed their club about a few weeks in. It's pretty annoying if you want faction drama.

But for murder, it's pretty good. The murderers are more aggressive and stalk more, and if you attempt to brush off a murderer the AI mod will make them spam dialogue with you until they fight you or until they kill you. So you can't just keep saying no, you won't even have enough time to press the button to end the period. So it's pretty nice aside from the constant club-changing NPCs.

Edit: Typo fix.

Last edited:

Grim

Aug 17, 2016
Oh, you're in luck: I was working on a feminine protag who will get away with Murder. The answer will surprise you.

I'll start with the common sense stuff. If a character commits a proper murder, they will succeed if their target is not Lucky, but then may get caught if the killer is not Lucky. If both are, they are mutually unlucky because the Luck perk will nullify.

Next, witnesses. Thorough module simply checks for any other classmates in the same room as you, and if it's zero the condition lets the murderer get away with it. However... "room" considers private rooms as unique rooms. If the characters are in one of those "sex closet" kind of rooms, they're technically in a new room. Typically only the sex start dialogue can happen here, but some modules change topics here to force the murder dialogue, causing a murder in a room that almost always can never have just those 2 people inside... unless a special scenario like Kidnapper happens in which 3 people are in the room, which will probably count as a witness since I don't see anything that would prevent the student from counting +1 in the same room check.

Okay then, so what about "killing" cards without actual murder?

Yes, this is actually a thing. "Expel" is kicking the card out of the class, and some modules do that.

I'll share some names of modules relevant to affecting murder in this nature. I'll read from my plan doc and only include what should act on murder towards this way. Mostly only things that change how murder is recognized but maybe a personality style one or so.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

There's the above for my planning based on the modules I found related to murder, some found in the main pack but many found strewn about in different uploads. None of these are what I need for my particular approaches though, hence why I researched and studied the modules to make my own appropriate triggers. There was also an AI mod that Arde645 posted a few pages back, converted from PP format to PPX format for the latest AA2-AAU Mini builds. I haven't returned with notes on my experience yet so now is the best time to post my finds.

The AI overhaul mod causes many great effects, but has one effect that strongly breaks the functionality of club-based modules for dedicated NPC characters.

The AI mod makes interactions like insults, fighting, travel to class together, general "Minna" (group) actions more common, and such. Based on a rare (seen once only) glitchy conversation, it can even cause spontaneous breakups but this rarely leads to a character initiating a breakup with you while you never got into a relationship, causing no effect but Hate points. However the problem is it makes students frequently change club. This makes it nearly impossible to have gang factions since surprisingly despite good relationships with their dominant friend (not official leader), or cards with Banchou / Cultist module (actual leader), or Club Leader (in-between level of leader), members of clubs just roam way more often so half the class has changed their club about a few weeks in. It's pretty annoying if you want faction drama.

But for murder, it's pretty good. The murderers are more aggressive and stalk more, and if you attempt to brush off a murderer the AI mod will make them spam dialogue with you until they fight you or until they kill you. So you can't just keep saying no, you won't even have enough time to press the button to end the period. So it's pretty nice aside from the constant club-changing NPCs.
That's a lot of useful info.

Typically I like playing as a scheming type character that orchestrates the murders from behind the scenes, without actually doing it myself. So NPC modules that aid in this are what's most interesting to me, and I guess this would be what you call "conventional murder". Usually I'll try and get the target NPC to get into a relationship with another NPC that's either Evil, or has the Yandere Type A module, and then get them to cheat with someone else. Yandere Type B can work also if the NPC with that module is already in a relationship, at which point I'd get the target to get involved with their lover instead.

For this type of scenario, to aid the killer would you say that the Thorough module will suffice?

Also, the Death Knight, Hex, and Transient modules you mentioned must have come from cards because I don't have those, so they're not in the standard module pack.

Last edited:

JustAl

Jan 28, 2022
That's a lot of useful info.

Typically I like playing as a scheming type character that orchestrates the murders from behind the scenes, without actually doing it myself. So NPC modules that aid in this are what's most interesting to me, and I guess this would be what you call "conventional murder". [...]
My "conventional" or "normal" murder, I mean using the actual murder dialogues and all the initially intended mechanics. "Expel" is a proxy-murder option that's not using the murder functions but effectively works the same. And sometimes you can get creative; "Pregnancy" end is a game-over, so why not a module that makes a girl blame a male player they don't like for their current pregnancy? Oof.

[...]
Usually I'll try and get the target NPC to get into a relationship with another NPC that's either Evil, or has the Yandere Type A module, and then get them to cheat with someone else. Yandere Type B can work also if the NPC with that module is already in a relationship, at which point I'd get the target to get involved with their lover instead. [...]
I forgot to mention the Yandere series but they're found in the base pack so everyone should have them. A is hard to manipulate. B and C are easier for sure.

For this type of scenario, to aid the killer would you say that the Thorough module will suffice?
Eh, your milage may vary. I will say if you can write a kind of limiting trigger or couple it with something that limits murder to a degree, it should work by way of homefully delaying their murderous interactions long enough that the player can progress periods rather fast then hang onto the final period at the end of the day when students start leaving and going to fun places in town together. I say this because during the day students bustle and cluster and getting caught is super easy. It's worse that so many card designers abuse the Lucky trait for the death forgiveness it gives, to the degree that some form of Luck stripping is effectively required to kill and not get caught. The base pack comes with Armed, which helps.

Thorough, Armed, sure. Although I forgot to mention in my earlier post that both Banchou and Cultist work to enable the leader to send assassins after targets they don't like. Banchou is more dominant, Cultist is more manipulative - since your checks get nerfs by intelligence on NPCs but you have the power to drain intelligence on NPCs, it feels that much more manipulative but overall works much the same.

And creativity helps. Sometimes you can try Praying Mantis or such to have a dangerous girlfriend you actually try to provoke into Cucking you with the Casanova / Polyamorous and such modules to make cheating a non-offense while she periodically kills someone she cheats with. Or mess with the triggers around Murderous, Boiling Point, and Depression to make a character who visibly grows more angry-looking until they kill. Or try the Lilith's Curse STD module triggers with Transient and simply have people get sick until they don't come to permanently vanish, but I haven't though the triggers out for that. Just have fun as you want.

Reactions: Grim

Grim

Aug 17, 2016
It's worse that so many card designers abuse the Lucky trait for the death forgiveness it gives, to the degree that some form of Luck stripping is effectively required to kill and not get caught. The base pack comes with Armed, which helps.
Yeah I've noticed the prevalence of Lucky on cards. Seems like half or more that I download have Lucky applied to them. I've started just removing it from all of them. So you're saying Armed will automatically remove Lucky from the target?

Thorough, Armed, sure. Although I forgot to mention in my earlier post that both Banchou and Cultist work to enable the leader to send assassins after targets they don't like. Banchou is more dominant, Cultist is more manipulative - since your checks get nerfs by intelligence on NPCs but you have the power to drain intelligence on NPCs, it feels that much more manipulative but overall works much the same.
I've got one card that has the Banchou module, but I've never played as that card directly. I know NPCs with it will ask others to join, but do they also order killings and such, or is that limited to just when the player is the banchou leader?

JustAl

Jan 28, 2022
Yeah I've noticed the prevalence of Lucky on cards. Seems like half or more that I download have Lucky applied to them. I've started just removing it from all of them. So you're saying Armed will automatically remove Lucky from the target?
[...]
Armed does it. I don't remember off the top of my head for sure, but I remember it might also have some logic flow for what to do if the target is also has Armed, liked disabling the module on the target just before the attack. So essentially, first mover wins.

I've got one card that has the Banchou module, but I've never played as that card directly. I know NPCs with it will ask others to join, but do they also order killings and such, or is that limited to just when the player is the banchou leader?
By the documentation, the NPCs are meant to do that if they have strong hatred towards a target. You can say that it is rare for an NPC to have strong enough hatred towards a target, while also having enough trust from their members to successfully request the kill in the first place.

I only had tested one Banchou I found from another card maker, and that was the only module on it. No surprise, I got into fights with her members but never got the main one angry enough in my testing to trigger her deadly henchman wrath. Not that I tried at all, I lack time for rigorous purposeful testing of this stuff but I've played enough leisurely testing my test characters in carefully curated class sets to find cool interactions.

Also, more is more. Just stuff the class roster to 25 seats if you want to see things happen. Hence the challenge of making a successfully murderous character who can kill and not get caught, with 24 potential witnesses running around and travelling between each other.

Reactions: Grim

Grim

Aug 17, 2016
By the documentation, the NPCs are meant to do that if they have strong hatred towards a target. You can say that it is rare for an NPC to have strong enough hatred towards a target, while also having enough trust from their members to successfully request the kill in the first place.

I only had tested one Banchou I found from another card maker, and that was the only module on it. No surprise, I got into fights with her members but never got the main one angry enough in my testing to trigger her deadly henchman wrath. Not that I tried at all, I lack time for rigorous purposeful testing of this stuff but I've played enough leisurely testing my test characters in carefully curated class sets to find cool interactions.
I had an idea to set up a gang warfare scenario with like 4 or 5 different banchous, which is why I was curious if they'd order hits on each other. The I currently have with that module also has the Unimpressionable module, so I can't even directly influence her opinion of others. To get her to hate somebody I'd probably have to spread rumors about her to the target, and hope that the target somehow pisses her off enough, but I'm not sure how feasible that is.

Also, more is more. Just stuff the class roster to 25 seats if you want to see things happen. Hence the challenge of making a successfully murderous character who can kill and not get caught, with 24 potential witnesses running around and travelling between each other.
I always play with a full class since it's more chaotic that way, but it definitely seems to make it more difficult for the killers to get away with it. Especially since they often decide to murder their victims in front of a dozen other people.

Reactions: JustAl

Grim

Aug 17, 2016
I wonder how feasible it would be to modify the Thorough module to do a witness check before the murder, and if there's any potential witnesses then cancel the action. Would make it a bit smarter, but they could still be caught if somebody rushes into the room during the murder.

Monosomething

May 24, 2019
I wonder how feasible it would be to modify the Thorough module to do a witness check before the murder, and if there's any potential witnesses then cancel the action. Would make it a bit smarter, but they could still be caught if somebody rushes into the room during the murder.
The AI already does these kinds of checks. You can clearly see that happening when a low-ish virtue card is trying to bang a high-ish virtue card in the open - if youre in the room with them, and the low-ish virtue card asks to fuck the high-ish virtue card, the high-ish virtue card will refuse. If, however, you exit the room as they start talking and return a couple of seconds later (time it takes them to finish the conversation, basically), you will find them fucking.

So, it should be possible. Im just not interested in modules, so JustAl will be more helpful than i.

Reactions: JustAl and Grim

Grim

Aug 17, 2016
The AI already does these kinds of checks. You can clearly see that happening when a low-ish virtue card is trying to bang a high-ish virtue card in the open - if youre in the room with them, and the low-ish virtue card asks to fuck the high-ish virtue card, the high-ish virtue card will refuse. If, however, you exit the room as they start talking and return a couple of seconds later (time it takes them to finish the conversation, basically), you will find them fucking.

So, it should be possible. Im just not interested in modules, so JustAl will be more helpful than i.
I might try learning enough about trigger making to see if I can hack that together. I think the hard part will be testing it to make sure it works correctly.

Monosomething

May 24, 2019
So um... theres these new personalities, right? Where do i get the proper subs for them? A lot of them (personalities, i mean) are fucked and are missing certain voices/responses, so i consider them a lost cause (given how they are not really updated via the MIG), but some are complete, though you get no subtitles in the "overworld", which makes playing difficult. Ive looked up *some* of those subs and downloaded them, but theres plenty im missing.

Any ideas?

Grim

Aug 17, 2016
So um... theres these new personalities, right? Where do i get the proper subs for them? A lot of them (personalities, i mean) are fucked and are missing certain voices/responses, so i consider them a lost cause (given how they are not really updated via the MIG), but some are complete, though you get no subtitles in the "overworld", which makes playing difficult. Ive looked up *some* of those subs and downloaded them, but theres plenty im missing.

Any ideas?
I have the same problems with several personalities. I'm not aware of any fixes for them outside of their official download locations, but I've also never attempted to look. I've just been living with it.

Beyond subtitle/voice issues, I've noticed a problem with the Enigma personality recently. A few times when I've asked one to follow me, I end up getting locked into the conversation with no way of exiting it unless another NPC comes along and interrupts the conversation, so I've been avoiding doing that. And that's with the personality/subs downloaded directly from C4's Patreon.

Monosomething

May 24, 2019
I have the same problems with several personalities. I'm not aware of any fixes for them outside of their official download locations, but I've also never attempted to look. I've just been living with it.

Beyond subtitle/voice issues, I've noticed a problem with the Enigma personality recently. A few times when I've asked one to follow me, I end up getting locked into the conversation with no way of exiting it unless another NPC comes along and interrupts the conversation, so I've been avoiding doing that. And that's with the personality/subs downloaded directly from C4's Patreon.
Yeah. Ive been trying to fix what i can by checking if the links posted in document have any subs. I found lots, but mostly for male characters. Theres a number of female personalities that have full voice lines, but no subs. Dont have to mention it annoys me to no end.

I dont exactly follow exactly what each file in the MIG does, but looks like its both HEXA and C4 that bring in new personalities. Ive been combing through those to find subs with varying results. Surprisingly, two guys actually speak korean, which is only slightly different from the jap moonspeak, though noticable enough to throw me off. Those personalities are NEVER getting used (i also never use that one personality that speaks english - i feel like its out of place in AA2).

That issue youve been having with the enigma personality sounds curious. Looks like some triggers for when the conversation should end is missing. Thats what it sounds like, though its surprising you cant just click to skip it.

On another note... how do i install those personalities manually? Yeah, C4 and HEXA bring a bunch in, but those are in ppx form, so i just dump them in data and run the game. The pxx_xx_xx files i have NO idea where to place or what to do with them.

FranklinClinton

May 20, 2021
Is there a module that allows gay/lesbian cards to still develop like points with the same gender?
I don't want to make them bisexual for character reasons unless I prevent love points, since I would want them to actually form friendships with the same gender, whilst nullifying any love points and turning down the opposite sex using the unique dialogue, just seems cruel that in a mostly gay class nobody really has a proper friend.

Grim

Aug 17, 2016
That issue youve been having with the enigma personality sounds curious. Looks like some triggers for when the conversation should end is missing. Thats what it sounds like, though its surprising you cant just click to skip it.
Yeah clicking doesn't do anything. You're just locked there with the character staring at you. Doing a quicksave/quickload also gets you out of it, but that puts you back at the beginning of the period.

On another note... how do i install those personalities manually? Yeah, C4 and HEXA bring a bunch in, but those are in ppx form, so i just dump them in data and run the game. The pxx_xx_xx files i have NO idea where to place or what to do with them.
The ones that come with 3 .pp files also go into the data folder

Reactions: Monosomething

Monosomething

May 24, 2019
Is there a module that allows gay/lesbian cards to still develop like points with the same gender?
I don't want to make them bisexual for character reasons unless I prevent love points, since I would want them to actually form friendships with the same gender, whilst nullifying any love points and turning down the opposite sex using the unique dialogue, just seems cruel that in a mostly gay class nobody really has a proper friend.
Thats the downside of the system illusion implemented in the game. I will talk about it later on, when i finally get to writing down some miscellaneous mechanics ive found along the way, but what it basically comes down to is this:

Pure hetero and pure homo characters will either love or hate each other. There is no middle ground.
There is no way around it. You (the player) either keep a hetero/homo character at the "Dont know" status, or they get pushy trying to get in your pants.
If you reject them, they will eventually hate you.

The ones that come with 3 .pp files also go into the data folder
Wow, its that simple? Okay, thanks!

4.50 star(s) 17 Votes