Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
Hope is all we can. But I still don't think that it will come to that. Authors often doesn't share their resources like images and code. Even if you can get most of it via tools like unren and even if you can make it work, it still is work of the original author you are building at.
Personally, I don't like the idea of some rando "picking up" a project. If someone lacking skill takes on the project, they're going to struggle even more than the dev did and are more likely to give up. If someone with completely different visions for the game shows up, the game is going to feel disjointed and may be retconed to the point of being unrecognizable. In either case, they'd be better off making their own game. And if they can't do that, what makes you think they can carry the development of someone else's game?

Game Lord

Apr 17, 2021
Personally, I don't like the idea of some rando "picking up" a project. If someone lacking skill takes on the project, they're going to struggle even more than the dev did and are more likely to give up. If someone with completely different visions for the game shows up, the game is going to feel disjointed and may be retconed to the point of being unrecognizable. In either case, they'd be better off making their own game. And if they can't do that, what makes you think they can carry the development of someone else's game?
Exactly. If when I use to be on this dev's Discord channel and he was readily interacting with all of us like he was back then, if I had known he would ultimately abandon the game like what occurred here, I would have loved to pick his brain to see if he would have expounded on what he had planned for the future of the game, to see if he had planned it out that far into the future back then in other words or if he was making it up as he went along?

Going back to our earlier discussion, I think those creators who haven't gotten the story fully fleshed out ahead of time face an even more daunting task when trying to implement and code their games while they try and make it up on the run as they go along as well. Obviously there will always be some modifications to the story as it comes along but if it hasn't been penned out ahead of time, often times writer's block can settle in or they run into a point where they may become unhappy with the direction it has turned and get turned off as a result of this.

I'd rather they take a break and step away from the project and collect their thoughts than a new writer take over seeing as how it wasn't their material all along but I still get why some would rather just see the project completed, them having enjoyed it as much as they have up to that point.

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
Exactly. If when I use to be on this dev's Discord channel and he was readily interacting with all of us like he was back then, if I had known he would ultimately abandon the game like what occurred here, I would have loved to pick his brain to see if he would have expounded on what he had planned for the future of the game, to see if he had planned it out that far into the future back then in other words or if he was making it up as he went along?

Going back to our earlier discussion, I think those creators who haven't gotten the story fully fleshed out ahead of time face an even more daunting task when trying to implement and code their games while they try and make it up on the run as they go along as well. Obviously there will always be some modifications to the story as it comes along but if it hasn't been penned out ahead of time, often times writer's block can settle in or they run into a point where they may become unhappy with the direction it has turned and get turned off as a result of this.

I'd rather they take a break and step away from the project and collect their thoughts than a new writer take over seeing as how it wasn't their material all along but I still get why some would rather just see the project completed, them having enjoyed it as much as they have up to that point.
I think it's hard to avoid writing related issues when it's tied to active game development.
You get feedback and by trying to meet that feedback, everything changes. Tonal shifts in the story, for example, will drastically alter the end product. You might encounter a spark of inspiration that's going in a different direction than planned. You might realize that something you're adding is going to create a plot hole later. Having branching dialogue trees with consequences, while highly desirable, adds another layer of challenge. You have to considerably write and plan for more the more dynamic the story is. In this regard, it might be more efficient to have an general outline than a detailed map prepared.

Personally, I've found detailed maps, more often than not, get in my way. Earlier ideas usually get replaced by more coherent and engaging ideas as I actually start writing.

4.30 star(s) 50 Votes