Ren'Py Abandoned Automaton Story [v0.1.2] [AngryFur]

4.20 star(s) 23 Votes

Hexogen

Dec 20, 2019
For anyone wondering: For some fucked up reason, instead of using a defaulted setting that gets automatically applied, the dev chose to manually make every line of text that exists in the game be displayed with 35 characters per second. This is why a global change of the cps (characters per second) value of renpy does not work. You need to extract the archive.rpa, decompile the script.rpy and replace all instances of cps=35 with cps=0, this will make all text displayed instantly without needing an extra click. Why they chose to do it that way, I have no fucking idea. He literally starts every line of text with {cps=35} and ends it with {/cps} instead of setting preferences.text_cps to 35. This is beyond science.

Edit: I have removed the script I uploaded where I just replaced every instance of cps=35 with cps=0 because some scenes seem to break with it, and I am too lazy to take care of that right now. But anyways, now you know what you can do to fix it yourselves.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Yay, new update!
Reactions: AlexaSky and atur

Kikurage

Oct 12, 2018
For anyone wondering: For some fucked up reason, instead of using a defaulted setting that gets automatically applied, the dev chose to manually make every line of text that exists in the game be displayed with 35 characters per second. This is why a global change of the cps (characters per second) value of renpy does not work. You need to extract the archive.rpa, decompile the script.rpy and replace all instances of cps=35 with cps=0, this will make all text displayed instantly without needing an extra click. Why they chose to do it that way, I have no fucking idea. He literally starts every line of text with {cps=35} and ends it with {/cps} instead of setting preferences.text_cps to 35. This is beyond science.

I have added a script.rpy in which I did nothing but change cps=35 to cps=0 in all instances (1200 instances, wow.) It should be enough to just throw it into your /game folder.
Yeah okay. Thanks? But why is your post so aggressive holy shit.
Maybe talk to him on discord about that. They are nice and respond to your messages.

Edit: Discord

Peace bro

Hexogen

Dec 20, 2019
Yeah okay. Thanks? But why is your post so aggressive holy shit.
Maybe talk to him on discord about that. They are nice and respond to your messages.

Edit: Discord

Peace bro
You are right, I didn't have to sound so aggressive. The swearing was a bit unnecessary. It just boggles my mind, I cannot understand why someone would willingly do it this way. I would imagine the 700th time you write "{cps=35}This is text, yay!{/cps}", you would think "There has to be a better way!". The strangest thing about it is that it seems deliberate, since they also removed the default renpy text speed option. I understand that developers have a very specific idea about what their game should look and feel like, but I don't understand why having people wait for text or doubleclick is part of that. I was just annoyed that I had to go through the extra effort of extracting and decrypting and then going on a goose chase in the game files, and that several times already, someone asked in the thread where the speed option is, without getting an answer. And it seems my annoyance was manifested in my post. Soz.

Kikurage

Oct 12, 2018
You are right, I didn't have to sound so aggressive. The swearing was a bit unnecessary. It just boggles my mind, I cannot understand why someone would willingly do it this way. I would imagine the 700th time you write "{cps=35}This is text, yay!{/cps}", you would think "There has to be a better way!". The strangest thing about it is that it seems deliberate, since they also removed the default renpy text speed option. I understand that developers have a very specific idea about what their game should look and feel like, but I don't understand why having people wait for text or doubleclick is part of that. I was just annoyed that I had to go through the extra effort of extracting and decrypting and then going on a goose chase in the game files, and that several times already, someone asked in the thread where the speed option is, without getting an answer. And it seems my annoyance was manifested in my post. Soz.
All is good. Just tell them on their discord because you will get a answer more or less right away.
I don't think he's much online here. But he seems to care about that game though and tries to help anyone who has issues so join his discord. That group is open minded.

Neko_Kun

Game Developer
Feb 1, 2018

Edit: I have removed the script I uploaded where I just replaced every instance of cps=35 with cps=0 because some scenes seem to break with it, and I am too lazy to take care of that right now. But anyways, now you know what you can do to fix it yourselves.
No worries, AngryFur has been informed on it. And we'll look for a solution. Adding a speed option will be the optimal path. We'll see about having it ready for the next public version. Thank you for the critique, opinion and solution!
Perhaps for the future though, as others have pointed out, take the aggression down a notch or two. *thumbs up*

As a side note this is AngryFur's first renpy game, so there's bound to be some less-than optimal solutions and coding being done. So we're honestly just happy to get some critique and better options in this endeavor that can help in making improvements overall in the game code.

indigoxiii

Nov 19, 2017
It tells me to take Sarah to the workshop but nothing is happen there after upgrading the robot. View attachment 835050
I have taken her to every location there is and still nothing.
No option for a date, no option other than what I had before upgrading the robot.

Suggestion: Instead of having to go to the bedroom to nap to advance time can you put a clock on the map to advance time?
Suggestion: Map icon in the bedroom would help a lot, having to click several time just to get to the map gets boring.
I think I'm having the same problem I have already upgraded Ally but it stills says take Sarah to workshop is there still something to do after upgrading Ally's blood and if there is how do you do it?

ItZFaith69

Mar 30, 2020
I think I'm having the same problem I have already upgraded Ally but it stills says take Sarah to workshop is there still something to do after upgrading Ally's blood and if there is how do you do it?
It's the end of the story that's why nothing is happening

nightrider22

Sep 20, 2020
does anybody know if or when the update is cumming out for this game this game is a realy fun to play game its simaler to summertimesaga and it has the potential to be a realy epic game to play i hope that they keep updating the game and complete it keep up the good work on the game

Neko_Kun

Game Developer
Feb 1, 2018
does anybody know if or when the update is cumming out for this game this game is a realy fun to play game its simaler to summertimesaga and it has the potential to be a realy epic game to play i hope that they keep updating the game and complete it keep up the good work on the game
Without going into too much detail, the beta version is coming out extremely soon to the alpha testers. Then maybe a week or 2 after that, the fixed version gets out. But we are extremely close.

BuPa

Aug 21, 2017
To be clear: The Sunday threesome that the cinema clerk hints at isn't actually a thing even now that the library is a real location, yeah?

I hadn't played for a few updates until v0.0.12, and seeing the parenthetical in his dialogue about the library ("This location is not available yet") had me confused on whether the developers simply forgot to remove that notice but the scene was in, or whether it was more a matter of the devs not touching that character at all in v0.0.12. If the scene is in, I certainly couldn't figure out how to make it happen.

Either way, looking forward to that and more.

4.20 star(s) 23 Votes