VN Ren'Py Abandoned Awakenero [POC] [vardanju]

judex518

Jun 19, 2020
I'm sorry to hear that. I'll come up with more descriptive information about the game - a rookie's mistake here. The style, character design in particular, was intended to be as close as possible to Summertime Saga though, as I'm a big fan of it and enjoy drawing it. Let me try to convince you to try my game by staying commited to it and releasing updates down the road.
I LIke your honesty and would love to see where things go. Good on you for sticking to your guns

Reactions: awakenerogame

lagartha

Dec 2, 2017
I like that you've pointed out that you didn't lift assets. I'm downloading it now to see what the bones are like. A decent effort from the stills. It's not such an easy style to lift really... Good to cut your teeth on tho...

awakenerogame

Game Developer
Apr 14, 2021
Gonna rework the game's summary now, but first I wanted to share a new character, Rasheed, who will join the cast in the next update. He might bear a resemblance to a famous cybersecurity engineer seen on TV.

Awakenero_MTC_Rasheed.png

Last edited:

xamaty2

Mar 19, 2019
Not a bad start for a concent demo, it can go anywhere from here.
It gets flagged by Windows Defender for a trojan, which is a bit spooky.

The game seems a bit linear, I like it that there are choices, but each all of them lead to exactly the same place. It's fine for a demo like this, but it's something to consider for later on.

The art style is great, but I think it would be better to introduce changes to make it uniquely yours. Otherwise, people will just talk about it as "it's like Summertime Saga, but..."

The voice over is a good idea but not letting us change the text speed can make the game boring for faster readers. I know that we can just click to make the text appear, but why not allow it if it's already in renpy. If you think that the story will change over time maybe it's not worth it to pay for voice over at first, as you'd throw some lines away anyway, or have unvoiced lines mixed with voiced ones.

I like how interactive it is, having to manually turn on the shower or make the coffee by clicking on the coffee machine. It would be great if you'd use this mechanic to reward the players for paying attention to details. Like the game doesn't prevent you from making the coffee without milk, but it rewards you with a kiss on the cheeks and a closer sneak peak into her cleavage if you don't forget it.

Keep up the good work, I might even consider subscribing to your patreon in a few updates.

awakenerogame

Game Developer
Apr 14, 2021
Not a bad start for a concent demo, it can go anywhere from here.
It gets flagged by Windows Defender for a trojan, which is a bit spooky.

The game seems a bit linear, I like it that there are choices, but each all of them lead to exactly the same place. It's fine for a demo like this, but it's something to consider for later on.

The art style is great, but I think it would be better to introduce changes to make it uniquely yours. Otherwise, people will just talk about it as "it's like Summertime Saga, but..."

The voice over is a good idea but not letting us change the text speed can make the game boring for faster readers. I know that we can just click to make the text appear, but why not allow it if it's already in renpy. If you think that the story will change over time maybe it's not worth it to pay for voice over at first, as you'd throw some lines away anyway, or have unvoiced lines mixed with voiced ones.

I like how interactive it is, having to manually turn on the shower or make the coffee by clicking on the coffee machine. It would be great if you'd use this mechanic to reward the players for paying attention to details. Like the game doesn't prevent you from making the coffee without milk, but it rewards you with a kiss on the cheeks and a closer sneak peak into her cleavage if you don't forget it.

Keep up the good work, I might even consider subscribing to your patreon in a few updates.
Thank you for such a thorough feedback. I have no prior experience of game development so this helps me tremendously to grow as a game developer as well as my game.
You are absolutely spot on with calling this 0.1 build a concept demo. I expect it to hit its stride at 0.3 release, but thank you for giving it a spin so early.
The art style will most definitely undergo changes as soon as I gain more confidence in my ability to draw. Hope you can already see it in Rasheed's character design where I didn't use any of DarkCookie's assets as a reference.
Regarding the text speed option and the reward mechanic - I will add those in the next update on your behalf! Brilliant suggestions, mate.

MezzaPez

Nov 6, 2019
I agree that there are not enough previews. Will never ever understand though why anyone harps people on art style. While there are tons and plenty of different art styles. There is still a limit to how many are out there. If he likes the kind of art style that summer time saga uses which by the way is not original to summertime saga. "Oh but what uses that style then!" I am not saying I know a game with that style I am saying that the world is only limited to so many different art styles and summertime saga probably took inspiration from something to create the style it uses.

I would only start harping on it if everything was just straight copied :p but obviously I doubt that.

Kriezz

Oct 15, 2020
I would like to tell you that seeing a Summertime Saga fan game is for me something extraordinary, I really like the art of DarkCookie and yours seems to be very well executed and I want to say that these days all ideas are inspired by those of others so I would not criticize your work which seems to me rather successful and I encourage you to continue on this voice and especially not to give up after a few updates. Do you have a discord for Awakenero? I ask to see afterwards and would sign up to your Patreon to support you, good luck !

awakenerogame

Game Developer
Apr 14, 2021
I would like to tell you that seeing a Summertime Saga fan game is for me something extraordinary, I really like the art of DarkCookie and yours seems to be very well executed and I want to say that these days all ideas are inspired by those of others so I would not criticize your work which seems to me rather successful and I encourage you to continue on this voice and especially not to give up after a few updates. Do you have a discord for Awakenero? I ask to see afterwards and would sign up to your Patreon to support you, good luck !
Thank you, Kriezz, and everyone really who has shown support for the project. I find it awesome that you guys are looking for more of it!
I completed work on a new character today, Noelle, she'll be making her Awakenero debut in the next update.

Awakenero_MTC_Noelle.png

Also, I revealed Dolores' signature outfit earlier this week. The whole character design is based on Summertime Saga's Grace and Cyberpunk's 2077 Judy of course. Hope you like it!

Awakenero_MTC_Dolores.jpg

• Red Heart
Reactions: Oregon and Kriezz

caxhub

Engaged Member
Aug 22, 2019
Download android v0.1 APK

Last edited by a moderator:

awakenerogame

Game Developer
Apr 14, 2021
Production of 0.2 update is wrapping up nicely - a bunch of information on its features, with a slight possibility of the release itself, will drop next week! In the meantime, here's two screenshots from the upcoming update featuring a new playable character, Rasheed.

1.PNG
2.PNG

Kriezz

Oct 15, 2020
Hi Verdanju, do you have a discord for Awakenero? Being able to interact better with your community would be a plus for you, I'm waiting for characters like Consuela or Maria (like in Summertime Saga)
The drawings seem to me to be good, keep it up!

awakenerogame

Game Developer
Apr 14, 2021
Hi Verdanju, do you have a discord for Awakenero? Being able to interact better with your community would be a plus for you, I'm waiting for characters like Consuela or Maria (like in Summertime Saga)
The drawings seem to me to be good, keep it up!
Good point, mate. I will set up a Discord server with the release of 0.2.
I'm keeping one new character under wraps for the upcoming update that I think you are really going to like.

oyemiperro

Apr 29, 2017
Looking forward for this, I don't see art similarity as a fault but a good thing, we all know that drawing frame by frame is a huge amount of work, so keep going Dev! Delight us all with a mind-blowing story.