Mod Ren'Py Bad Memories [v0.8.5] Multi-Mod [Sancho1969]

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
I reckon "fear" is completely out. It's the easiest to assume BUT Ellie never shows signs of fear but rather brash and carefree. Everyone gets something a bit different from a written story but for me she was heartbroken when separated from her sibling (MC), not scared. MC states to Kat that even though Rachel was subject to abuse that the father took kindly to Ellie possibly out of guilt, so again no fear. But that's just my opinion of what I get out of the dialogue which doesn't mean anything tbh.

Reactions: MrD812 and Tiur

Deleted member 1571716

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 7, 2019
I reckon "fear" is completely out. It's the easiest to assume BUT Ellie never shows signs of fear but rather brash and carefree. Everyone gets something a bit different from a written story but for me she was heartbroken when separated from her sibling (MC), not scared. MC states to Kat that even though Rachel was subject to abuse that the father took kindly to Ellie possibly out of guilt, so again no fear. But that's just my opinion of what I get out of the dialogue which doesn't mean anything tbh.
I think Fe is Feisty. As when we meet the MC, he's a feisty fucker. Upset over the shit that happened in the past. As it's a stat of the MC, not something gained. As he is becoming aware to why things happened as they did, he becomes more accepting and less feisty.

But, who knows? None of us can read the dev's mind. lol

Reactions: WICKEDp4th

Tiur

Nov 13, 2021
I think Fe is Feisty. As when we meet the MC, he's a feisty fucker. Upset over the shit that happened in the past. As it's a stat of the MC, not something gained. As he is becoming aware to why things happened as they did, he becomes more accepting and less feisty.
The stat is unique to interactions with Ellie and replaces the equivalent love or obedience stats used for other characters, so it is unlikely it's referring to an attribute of the MC; the variable is specifically efe, after all.

Tiur

Nov 13, 2021
Yeah, that all makes sense to me, which is why I said Feral is more believable now that I've seen you say it.

Deleted member 1571716

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 7, 2019
The stat is unique to interactions with Ellie and replaces the equivalent love or obedience stats used for other characters, so it is unlikely it's referring to an attribute of the MC; the variable is specifically efe, after all.
If that's the case, then fear, not feral would make more sense. As when we first encounter Ellie is when she's 'stalking' us, keeping her distance and as we grow closer with her, the points start dropping. Meaning her fear of us is going down. I don't know. Someone needs to corner the dev on it and push for some clarification.

Tiur

Nov 13, 2021
Has no one ever asked him about the stats descriptions?
Just did a look-through of the Discord, and found that (1) one person asked about "mob" being obsession, and was told by Rec "it's not obsession"; and (2) someone asked about "efe", and Rec's response was the ellie_sneaky emote. No other information.

ETA: (So, basically, Sancho's approach is the right one here. Present the variables, let the player interpret as they may.)

Reactions: Bingoogus

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Well.. I'm tellin' y'all I reached out to the dev when I first started drafting the mod from scratch back in the day regarding the variable acronyms. Can't remember exact response but it was basically "doesn't matter since stats aren't meant to be a requirement for the player" which I instantly thought to myself "then why TAF do you have variables at all?" so yeah, I didn't buy it, not one bit. My point being is we won't get answer there.

BUT Ob is 99.9% certain to be Obedience...just by context of the choices and following dialogue, so I think he snookered that Discord response. And Fe is not an acronym for "sneaky emote" so we know he's just being... well he just wasn't to let the cat out of the bag for whatever reason. Once the story fleshes out we'll figure it out, I'm not worried. Anyway, that's my 2 pesos. Regards.

Reactions: Tiur

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
BTW, you'll have to dig back a bit on the VN's thread. I swear I remember him getting a bit bent out of shape when I revamped the VN's GUI. I told him it was the reason why I was coding the mod to begin with since all that white used in the VN's menu system was brighter than the sun on my 4k multi-monitor setup... fucking lit up the whole county :ROFLMAO:. After I presented the final GUI teaser pics I think he warmed up a bit to it and realized I wasn't going to hack the shit out of his baby... he only commented something like he hates yellow or something like that. Anyway, it was fun banter for a while when I was first teasing progress pics of the mod creation. Those posts as somewhere in that thread about a year or so back I reckon.

• Haha
Reactions: Valex

Tiur

Nov 13, 2021
Well.. I'm tellin' y'all I reached out to the dev when I first started drafting the mod from scratch back in the day regarding the variable acronyms. Can't remember exact response but it was basically "doesn't matter since stats aren't meant to be a requirement for the player" which I instantly thought to myself "then why TAF do you have variables at all?" so yeah, I didn't buy it, not one bit. My point being is we won't get answer there.

BUT Ob is 99.9% certain to be Obedience...just by context of the choices and following dialogue, so I think he snookered that Discord response. And Fe is not an acronym for "sneaky emote" so we know he's just being... well he just wasn't to let the cat out of the bag for whatever reason. Once the story fleshes out we'll figure it out, I'm not worried. Anyway, that's my 2 pesos. Regards.
Oh, I agree about Obedience. He told the person asking that it wasn't "obsession", that's all, so it doesn't say one way or another definitively about obedience. And it's pretty clear he was just being evasive to both people, which matches what he said to you.

Diekh

Mar 22, 2022
Sancho1969
You have a estimate when the update for v0.7.6 will be done?
Only asking, always play the game with your mod.
Thanks for the mod.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Sancho1969
You have a estimate when the update for v0.7.6 will be done?
Only asking, always play the game with your mod.
Thanks for the mod.
If you're gonna dick around with Jada then install the mod and you'll be fine. I only missed one bug I'm aware of and that is during the Kat scene if your not messing with Jada at all (as far as I know). It's not even serious enough for a compressor to submit a new file for the VN tbh. Go with it, it'll be ok.

Reactions: Diekh

dougiehouser

Jun 9, 2019
There's something funky with the text outline, maybe just a case of where it switches from black outline to white (or something like that).

If you have text outline > 0 (in the below examples it's set to 3) and box opacity <= 75% then you see something like this:
1654422563131.png

But if you change the box opacity to >75% it'll instantly flip to this:
1654422619786.png

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
There's something funky with the text outline, maybe just a case of where it switches from black outline to white (or something like that).

If you have text outline > 0 (in the below examples it's set to 3) and box opacity <= 75% then you see something like this:
View attachment 1851658

But if you change the box opacity to >75% it'll instantly flip to this:
View attachment 1851660
Good morning. Indeed. Fighting this particular VN's fonts and dialogue box (both it's location and aesthetic) are not 100%. The mod is setup so that if dia opacity is over 74% then the outlines are null which is a mistake on my part, they are supposed to be setup to a minimum. I'll get that sorted. The issue with this VN is fighting when the dia box is hued white/dark versus the font white/dark. I check it back and forth in the code multiple times but unless I remove the default Preferences dialogue toggle completely I allow it to take precedence which allow for a couple anomalies to sneak past since I don't hijack that portion of the OEM code. I'd go deeper in the weeds about it but just know that I can resolve that issue in particular for the most part.

You'll also find that in some cases (depending on how you have the settings in-game) that when you go to back to the Main Menu then into SanchoGallery for a scene that you might have to toggle the OEM Preferences dialogue box On/Off to get it to reset properly. Again, I'm still fighting portions of this but it's relatively a high percentage done. It's very wonky code since the dev uses styles in different ways with some dialogue versus others (the "thinking" dialogue in specific is handled completely different than the rest which is not orthodox). These complicate things in a compounding way.

Reactions: D Dog

dougiehouser

Jun 9, 2019
Good morning. Indeed. Fighting this particular VN's fonts and dialogue box (both it's location and aesthetic) are not 100%. The mod is setup so that if dia opacity is over 74% then the outlines are null which is a mistake on my part, they are supposed to be setup to a minimum. I'll get that sorted. The issue with this VN is fighting when the dia box is hued white/dark versus the font white/dark. I check it back and forth in the code multiple times but unless I remove the default Preferences dialogue toggle completely I allow it to take precedence which allow for a couple anomalies to sneak past since I don't hijack that portion of the OEM code. I'd go deeper in the weeds about it but just know that I can resolve that issue in particular for the most part.

You'll also find that in some cases (depending on how you have the settings in-game) that when you go to back to the Main Menu then into SanchoGallery for a scene that you might have to toggle the OEM Preferences dialogue box On/Off to get it to reset properly. Again, I'm still fighting portions of this but it's relatively a high percentage done. It's very wonky code since the dev uses styles in different ways with some dialogue versus others (the "thinking" dialogue in specific is handled completely different than the rest which is not orthodox). These complicate things in a compounding way.
I'm ok with what I have now, once I worked out how to fix my disappearing text I can see it fine, so no need to rush through any fixes.

On a general note (as you use the same mod base for all your game mods right?), would it be feasible to allow the user to customise the text box, outline and font colour? I know some game devs like setting each character's text and box to their own colour, which would make that a bit awkward.
Alternatively it should, in theory, be possible to detect if the text and box colour are too similar and then either enforce the outline by default or automatically adjust one of the colours.
Though, I'm neither a renpy or python expert, so feel free to tell me I'm being dumb and to sod off :p

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
I'm ok with what I have now, once I worked out how to fix my disappearing text I can see it fine, so no need to rush through any fixes.

On a general note (as you use the same mod base for all your game mods right?), would it be feasible to allow the user to customise the text box, outline and font colour? I know some game devs like setting each character's text and box to their own colour, which would make that a bit awkward.
Alternatively it should, in theory, be possible to detect if the text and box colour are too similar and then either enforce the outline by default or automatically adjust one of the colours.
Though, I'm neither a renpy or python expert, so feel free to tell me I'm being dumb and to sod off :p
No, no, there's nothing "dumb" about it as it's merely code and technically almost anything is possible. What is usually balanced is whether a particular feature is worth the time & effort for the ending result benefit. With me saying that I'm not against it per se and I'll certainly jot it down in the user request journal I keep. Honestly this is the only VN I currently mod (that I can think of) that uses a white background dia box with black text by default... hence why I had to come up with some code on the fly as I worked around it. Normally I adjust the amount of black:grey ratio I use in outlines VN specific. In other words every mod I have has both the outline shade and offset different dependent on the OEM font used and my personal taste/opinion. I can see where that would be different for another user so your request has merit. If I allowed color adjustment as well there would likely be another Options page necessary simply due to the amount of additional bars needed for all the various adjustments. I kind of shot myself in the foot recently and made those particular Options bars wider by overwhelming request of the "mobile" device crowd (so they could get the bars to register with fat fingers). Anyway, enough of me yammering on. I'll certainly take it under advisement. Regards and thank you for your input, sincerely.

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes