VN Ren'Py Bad Memories [v0.9b] [recreation] BETA release full of bugs, only for you, yes you!

4.40 star(s) 202 Votes

shitass1001

Jun 8, 2021
She is my precious jewel, and all I want to do is hold her in my arms and tell her everything is going to be okay.

Honestly, at this point I just want scenes where I get to be more romantic with her over sex scenes. It doesn't even matter if it will overcomplicate my already overcomplicated relationship status even more. I kind of like the idea that we can eventually make her realize we're not necessarily the sort of person she's always assumed we were or built up in her head, and that she should take the risk on being in a relationship with us even if it means sharing us.
I like this idea, I personally think Katherine just needs someone who unconditionally loves her to help her work through her weird always angry schtick(as opposed to someone who seems to only be in it for the sex, obviously im not a psychologist or anything of the sort.)

BrockLanders

Aug 8, 2020
I like this idea, I personally think Katherine just needs someone who unconditionally loves her to help her work through her weird always angry schtick(as opposed to someone who seems to only be in it for the sex, obviously im not a psychologist or anything of the sort.)
Yeah, she's my favorite... I seem to have a thing or a trend with the psychiatrists in these games... Artemis and Summer's Gone, too.

I think her deal is that she remembers MC (she touches on it and he remembers too) and always crushed on him, and she's very submissive in the first place, so she's trying to show him how she feels, but she's going to bitch about it the whole time because MC doesn't quite get where she's coming from completely yet. Then add in her responsibilities to his family and that she's watching him run through it like a fox in a henhouse, and now she's super duper conflicted lol

So hot XD

Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
Citation needed about the song originally being from a female perspective?

The oldest published version of the lyrics is that printed by Robert Winslow Gordon in 1925, in a column titled "Old Songs That Men Have Sung" in Adventure magazine.[14] The lyrics of that version begin:[14][15]

There is a house in New Orleans, it's called the Rising Sun
It's been the ruin of many poor girl
Great God, and I for one.
14. Steve Sullivan, Encyclopedia of Great Popular Song Recordings, Volume 1, Scarecrow Press (2013) ISBN 0810882965, 9780810882966, p. 98.
15. ^ The same opening lyrics are in the early recorded version in 1933: Robert B. Waltz and David G. Engle, "House of the Rising Sun, The", The Traditional Ballad Index, 4.0, Fresno State University, (2016) (accessed October 19, 2016)

There may have been earlier versions (some evidence to place the original folk song to pre American Civil War) but this was the first version of the lyrics known in print. In 1980, Dolly Parton sang a version, going back to the female perspective.

Saying that it was a place for "working boys," was conjecture to make the lyrics make more sense from a male perspective. My own opinion.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
you might be missing codec, not sure if recreation uses webm.
I do.

such a question arose - why are the scenes in the game not played? just pictures, that's all
As cxx said, maybe you're missing the right codecs on your computer.
Or if you're playing a web version somewhere else: that's unofficial and not gonna work.

Reactions: sava75

ClockworkGnome

Sep 18, 2021
On another note, I find it interesting that the folk song was originally song from a female perspective. Makes much more sense, unless you consider that the House of the Rising Sun was actually House of the Rising Son, a brothel of male prostitutes.
Keep in mind, though - that's just the oldest surviving written version, not necessarily the original version. There's evidence (as mentioned in the same Wikipedia article) that there were earlier versions of the song in the UK, and also clues that could point to the origin of the name of the place straight up being a brothel.

And being from the female perspective doesn't even necessarily change the context. If you assume the "ruin of many a poor girl" isn't that they were customers at a brothel, but the ones working there...

I've always assumed it was pretty clear that the song started out being about prostitution and later got a bit sanitized into something else (ie, the gambler element).

I think her deal is that she remembers MC (she touches on it and he remembers too) and always crushed on him, and she's very submissive in the first place, so she's trying to show him how she feels, but she's going to bitch about it the whole time because MC doesn't quite get where she's coming from completely yet. Then add in her responsibilities to his family and that she's watching him run through it like a fox in a henhouse, and now she's super duper conflicted lol
There's also the fact that her crush was on her idealized and imaginary version of who you were. When you saved her she has no idea who you were, and as she says when she's telling you the story, part of her perception has been that you were just another thug or drug-dealer/user who acted out of character that day (not realizing that you weren't one of the usual crowd that hung out in that alley either).

Her becoming Ellie's therapist may have been tied to her finally having an opportunity to potentially get to know you. She could have asked Rachel what sort of person you were (and justified it by saying she needed to know about Ellie's sibling and what effect they might have had on Ellie's problem, especially since it was your leaving that helped trigger it in the first place). But even then, she's getting info about you second-hand. Maybe even supplemented by finding out you were constantly getting in trouble as a kid. Her view of you as a delinquent seems supported by a lot of evidence, but then Rachel may be painting a different view of you in her descriptions (Victim? Protector?).

Then she meets you and you're just so radically different from anything she could have imagined. She's struggling trying to reconcile who she's always assumed you were in her head with who you actually are in real life. And at the same time you're clearing showing sexual interest in her (even if it's conflicting with your reacting negatively to her being a bitch). She knows she can provoke you into giving her the attention she wants deep down, but at the same time she's not sure how you'd react if she ever showed you the real her. All compounded by the fact that she's coming from a mostly loveless family that wasn't good at showing affection, so she doesn't really know how herself.

Basically, she's got a lot of issues to work out.

Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
Keep in mind, though - that's just the oldest surviving written version, not necessarily the original version. There's evidence (as mentioned in the same Wikipedia article) that there were earlier versions of the song in the UK, and also clues that could point to the origin of the name of the place straight up being a brothel.

And being from the female perspective doesn't even necessarily change the context. If you assume the "ruin of many a poor girl" isn't that they were customers at a brothel, but the ones working there...
That's my take on the female version as well.
I've always assumed it was pretty clear that the song started out being about prostitution and later got a bit sanitized into something else (ie, the gambler element).
The male version definitely feels like gambling.
Then she meets you and you're just so radically different from anything she could have imagined. She's struggling trying to reconcile who she's always assumed you were in her head with who you actually are in real life. And at the same time you're clearing showing sexual interest in her (even if it's conflicting with your reacting negatively to her being a bitch). She knows she can provoke you into giving her the attention she wants deep down, but at the same time she's not sure how you'd react if she ever showed you the real her. All compounded by the fact that she's coming from a mostly loveless family that wasn't good at showing affection, so she doesn't really know how herself.
Definitely, she has a number of issues to resolve in discovering how inaccurate her memories are.

Reactions: shitass1001

BrockLanders

Aug 8, 2020

There's also the fact that her crush was on her idealized and imaginary version of who you were. When you saved her she has no idea who you were, and as she says when she's telling you the story, part of her perception has been that you were just another thug or drug-dealer/user who acted out of character that day (not realizing that you weren't one of the usual crowd that hung out in that alley either).

Her becoming Ellie's therapist may have been tied to her finally having an opportunity to potentially get to know you. She could have asked Rachel what sort of person you were (and justified it by saying she needed to know about Ellie's sibling and what effect they might have had on Ellie's problem, especially since it was your leaving that helped trigger it in the first place). But even then, she's getting info about you second-hand. Maybe even supplemented by finding out you were constantly getting in trouble as a kid. Her view of you as a delinquent seems supported by a lot of evidence, but then Rachel may be painting a different view of you in her descriptions (Victim? Protector?).

Basically, she's got a lot of issues to work out.
Agreed. As you're eluding as well, her training is telling her you are a bad, bad person but she's seen evidence on the contrary, and even with your complete control and domination of the family dynamic (and her at points) she's finding her professional instincts are incongruous to what you're actually doing with your power over everyone. A benevolent dong champion lol

tyrannicpuppy

Nov 9, 2021
Agreed. As you're eluding as well, her training is telling her you are a bad, bad person but she's seen evidence on the contrary, and even with your complete control and domination of the family dynamic (and her at points) she's finding her professional instincts are incongruous to what you're actually doing with your power over everyone. A benevolent dong champion lol
Complete control? Is the MaleMC path that different to the FeMC path? I haven't played it to date, so can't say. Sure, we are forceful with Kat, but that first time was breaking under the repeated verbal attacks and the others continued exploration of that first incident. Manipulating Rachel using the pills is pretty sketch, but I certainly wouldn't call that relationship 'domination' either. But when it comes to Jada and Ellie, MC is absolutely the one being seduced and attacked most of the time. Wouldn't say they have the slightest bit of control over those two much less complete.

BrockLanders

Aug 8, 2020
Complete control? Is the MaleMC path that different to the FeMC path? I haven't played it to date, so can't say. Sure, we are forceful with Kat, but that first time was breaking under the repeated verbal attacks and the others continued exploration of that first incident. Manipulating Rachel using the pills is pretty sketch, but I certainly wouldn't call that relationship 'domination' either. But when it comes to Jada and Ellie, MC is absolutely the one being seduced and attacked most of the time. Wouldn't say they have the slightest bit of control over those two much less complete.
I don't mean in the sense of male dom as much as I mean mental corruption. Intended (with the slimy dialogue) or not, he's got everyone in his sphere revolving around him... Whether from guilt, infatuation, or obsession, everyone in the house has the MC's approval as a motive for everything they're doing. He's dominating their mental state but, in my run, I'm trying not to be such a corruptive influence. Everyone is still orbiting him, but my MC is trying to please everyone lol Everything Jada is doing is to "smooth" the harem into existence, and I chose to admonish her a bit for it. Ellie is a cutie and she wants it this way. Mom feels really guilty and is transitioning out of feeling like she's paying a debt and is starting to realize her feelings are being returned in kind... and that their weird family dynamic might work.

Kat would probably allow the male dom no matter what as her personality seems pretty sub, but I think she's so conflicted because she's still not sure if he's "worthy" of those feelings she's held onto about him for so long... I think we agree for sure on that.

Is the female MC run really different? I may try it if it is... sounds fun.

tyrannicpuppy

Nov 9, 2021
I don't think the paths are different beyond the sex. And I'm genuinely trying to play in that same manner, forgiving whenever possible and not being overly sleazy. But I don't feel any of that stuff.

It's just people coming to terms with their time apart and realizing that things hadn't been as they previously thought. And growing closer, with a bit of manipulation via the drugs. I could happily do without those as I don't think Rachel needs them.

Definitely don't think that the family is circling around the MC in any way beyond their presence being the catalyst for the changes. But that's just interpretation I guess. We all read slightly different things from the same source materials.

Last edited:
4.40 star(s) 202 Votes