Firebrand07

Apr 13, 2018
This sounds highly interesting. I like the idea of having situations presented to you in a mainstream way and then allow the players to find out the real nature of things taken for granted or living in blissful ignorance if they choose to do so.

I think the option to play as a female MC could be both a very hard task to do (since basically entails writing routes for both male and female) but it could be a very interesting and distinctive feature if done correctly.

I'm definitely gonna keep an eye on this. Keep up the great work. :D

Reactions: fz and recreation

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
I noticed several times that when Ellie laughs, it is written kehehe. The "ke" isn't needed. Hehe, hee hee, hi hi, or whatever variant you want would be better for representing laughing. In English, the "ke" at the beginning makes it sound more like a coughing sound than a laughing sound. I'm not sure what language you are coming from, so you may be transposing sounds from your language that are allophones (like Crint Eastwood, where in Korean, the "l" would be replaced by an "r" sound in that context, without changing the meaning).

Reactions: fz and recreation

uberzubron

Nov 14, 2017
I noticed several times that when Ellie laughs, it is written kehehe. The "ke" isn't needed. Hehe, hee hee, hi hi, or whatever variant you want would be better for representing laughing. In English, the "ke" at the beginning makes it sound more like a coughing sound than a laughing sound.
I liked it like that.....makes it sound cuter and authentic as opposed to cliched

waffel

Donor
Aug 29, 2017
BTW @recreation ... main character (MC) means exactly that. Stories really can't have multiple protagonists. There may be strong secondary characters (like Shane in my VN) but generally there is one protagonist (MC) in any story. That's a central fact of literature.
What about 'Game of Thrones', what about 'Detroit: Become Human'? Pulp Fiction? It is totally possible to make literature with multiple protagonists, so I wouldn't call it a 'central fact of literature'.

Reactions: botc76 and senjeny

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
What about 'Game of Thrones', what about 'Detroit: Become Human'? Pulp Fiction? It is totally possible to make literature with multiple protagonists, so I wouldn't call it a 'central fact of literature'.
It's possible, but it's not always a good idea. Here's why: . The writer who asks the question actually demonstrates a lack of understanding about what a protagonist is in stating that they both have disparate experiences but will end up in opposition to one another. That't not two protagonists, that's a protagonist and an antagonist. In non-literature terms, the good guy and the bad guy.

From a game creator standpoint, a major reason that this board is littered with games/VNs that have been abandoned or developers got tired of them is that they weren't well thought out in the first place, and the game writer tried to do too much. While Game of Thrones, Detroit, and Pulp Fiction are examples of another way it could be done, those are done with entire teams of professional scriptwriters. These teams often have dedicated traffic people who keep the disparate characters and storylines straight.

A single game developer like recreation or even a small team rarely has the funding, time, or skills to pull that off successfully. It's better to stick with more standard forms of story creation that can be readily delivered with limited resources than to set the bar so high that the end will either end up a mess or the developer will just give up entirely. That, and most game creators/video novelists want readers/players, so sticking with a more common format provides what most audiences expect, thus widening the potential pool of readers/players.

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
I liked it like that.....makes it sound cuter and authentic as opposed to cliched
A cough-laugh is pretty rare. It's something that might happen if you hear something really funny while either eating or drinking and the laughing causes you to cough it up.

waffel

Donor
Aug 29, 2017
It's possible, but it's not always a good idea. Here's why: . The writer who asks the question actually demonstrates a lack of understanding about what a protagonist is in stating that they both have disparate experiences but will end up in opposition to one another. That't not two protagonists, that's a protagonist and an antagonist. In non-literature terms, the good guy and the bad guy.

From a game creator standpoint, a major reason that this board is littered with games/VNs that have been abandoned or developers got tired of them is that they weren't well thought out in the first place, and the game writer tried to do too much. While Game of Thrones, Detroit, and Pulp Fiction are examples of another way it could be done, those are done with entire teams of professional scriptwriters. These teams often have dedicated traffic people who keep the disparate characters and storylines straight.

A single game developer like recreation or even a small team rarely has the funding, time, or skills to pull that off successfully. It's better to stick with more standard forms of story creation that can be readily delivered with limited resources than to set the bar so high that the end will either end up a mess or the developer will just give up entirely. That, and most game creators/video novelists want readers/players, so sticking with a more common format provides what most audiences expect, thus widening the potential pool of readers/players.
Good, it's just nasty when such a beautiful word like 'fact' is being misused or abused. I mostly agree with the rest of it :)

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Hello everyone. Pretty good start for the game, I dig it. Nice job recreation. Unfortunately, I am getting an exception error for the android version, right after the MC walks into his room after getting his stuff delivered, and Ellie is trying out the VR headset. Keep getting more exception errors after that, so I can't continue. Is anyone else having this problem and it's possibly something with the game, or might it be on my end? I did try deleting it, and then trying a new download from scratch......same problem. If anyone has any input, please let me know. Thanks.
I found the problem. It seems like android doesn't like progressive compression, and that's what I used on the last render. I'm uploading a fixed android version right now, but I have bad speed, so this might take a while :/

Reactions: fz and Kavin76

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
This is one of my fav games now. I don't really like female protagonists. Hope it won't effect the game too much
All kidding aside, and I know this isn't the great literature debate, but I don't think @recreation really meant multiple protagonists (remember, English is not recreation's first language). I think that what was meant was the MC as the protagonist (the person that the story revolves around), along with several other strong characters. Other games like Broken Hearts Club, Milfy City, and Daughter for Dessert do this as well. If there was an antagonist (someone opposing the MC), it could be the therapist (more likely) or the cop (less likely).

Reactions: fz and batmna
4.40 star(s) 202 Votes