Unity Bare Backstreets [v0.7.4] [Jasonafex]

1.60 star(s) 44 Votes

deekinftw

Mar 22, 2018
According to the release post, the password was changed. So I think the login may work once we know what the new password is.

lemurFninefive

Apr 30, 2020
Don't worry guys...even if you DID have a Subscribestar account subbed to him you can't access the new build. And he hasn't responded in over a week to the people there.

Bl1nd_Eye

Jun 13, 2019
You know what sucks? This is the only male/male platformer I can find. The only one that can even attempt to match the game in quality graphics is Bare Backstreets and that game is buggy as all hell and created by the most irresponsible group ever.
If you want a gay platformer, go play Oh So Hero. The fact is there is a severe lack in STRAIGHT furry platformers. Or at least, good ones.

JoyridePinks

Oct 5, 2019
This dude should be happy anybody even plays his game to begin with, imaging password locking it so people cant actually try the mess this game actually is; if anything I want to never give this guy anything out of spite for ruining my collecting

• Angry
Reactions: Sennin

lunarian21

Nov 21, 2018
This game runs like shit, way too much of a resource hog. I tried it out and it was a flip show.
That Oh so Hero game on the other hand is smooth like butter.

nanoender123

Jul 17, 2017
Wait sorry, Is the actual password "Idk" Or do you actually NOT know the password.
My engrish is top notch at 3am after few drinks but yean, i do not know the pass, just the id, ill try to datamine a bit if you want but not gonna waste too much time on it.

vorpaltiger

Aug 21, 2018
so now instead of the game being a frame every 2 mins, it now just crashes. why the fuck is this asshole even making games.

i feel bad for the people that are acutally supporting him through patreon or subscribestar. people need to wake up and pull their support from this poor excuse of a game.

Sarkath

Sep 8, 2019
I gave decompiling/data mining a shot earlier. Turns out, the devs ended up running the assembly through Obfuscator Pro, so the class names are all jumbled and the strings are all base64-encoded with the first character being xor'd against the results of a lookup table. Blech. I gave up after 15 minutes, but I still managed to get more fun out of that than I did playing the actual game, and made an interesting/horrifying discovery in the process.

I stumbled into the creature code at one point, and after going through it I kinda suspect that the widespread string obfuscation is one of the reasons that the game performs as "smoothly" as it does. Every time it looks up a string the runtime has to make two function calls—one to call into the decoder's wrapper library and one to jump into the actual decoding method with the appropriate magic number. The base class for all of the enemies in the game has a standard Unity Update() function, which performs no fewer than 13 string lookups (some creature implementations have even more). That means that the game is doing at least 26 function calls, per enemy, per frame. At 60fps, that's 1560 calls per second—again, per enemy—and given that Unity reportedly doesn't do much in the way sort of runtime inlining…yeah, that's gonna add up fast.

Just to attach some number to how bad this can get, on my system it took 2.5-3.2ms to perform 15600 of these decoding calls (1560 calls across ten enemies) using LINQPad 5, regardless of optimization settings. Considering it's 16.67ms per frame at 60fps, there's a pretty significant amount of time every frame dedicated to doing, well, nothing of value. Also, that's only considering enemies. I'm sure there's plenty of other objects that do this as well.

So, yeah, if 0.4.x (which wasn't obfuscated) ran fine and 0.5.x chugs, that's probably a big reason why.

J55555

Dec 31, 2019
so the reason it runs like ass, also now it crashes a shit ton, is because he is so paranoid that people will try to what? steal his work? like anyone will touch that with a 10 foot poll knowing what kind of person jason is.
I think it's mainly to protect the patreon/subscribestar password. Normally, it would be pretty easy to use a decompiler to either edit around the paywall or just straight up find the password in the game files. That password could then be shared here, and then many people would have access to patreon content without paying a cent. However, obfuscation makes it nearly impossible to read and especially edit code.

Hopefully as the game gets more content, he will be forced to stop obfuscating it to make up for performance issues and we can find the password again. The only hope until then is that someone subscribed to him shares the password here, since we now have a username that works (LoginFix).

1.60 star(s) 44 Votes