4.40 star(s) 47 Votes

Axis3123

Apr 1, 2020
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Duuuuuuuude what? That Shantae one looks clean, and despite the Toriel one being, well, a re-draw, it's original enough to deserve a new coat of paint.

Damn :(

StapleComm

Apr 24, 2020
While I'm not sure how well they're actually doing on steam, itch, and merch... Patreon shows BunFan making about $7700/mo. After patreon fees but before taxes that's ~$6500. Bunfan appears to be an LLC in Florida, so 5.5% corp tax and some amount of sales tax, down to ~$6150 to pay people with, assuming they don't spend money on anything else. Taxes for paying people, ~13% for FICA and FUTA, and ~2.7% state in Florida, now we're down to ~$5175. Assuming the discussion on discord about even split among employees, which there appear to be 4-7 (i'll go with 5 for easy math), they could be seeing up to $1000/mo before they pay their own income taxes, as well as pay fees for taking disbursements from patreon.

So ballpark, if there are 5 employees working full time, though I'd guess nobody's actually full time on this project, they'd be making less than US minimum wage.

For context, if Kom just took all the money from patreon and didn't pay anyone, he'd be seeing $62k a year. The median/25th percentile for an entry level video game artist, 75% would make more than you, is $80k a year. So yeah, I'd agree that he seems to be a poor businessman, but while there's drama here I don't know what people here are going on about.
huh... ok yeah that's... fair, but still kinda shitty how little stuff is being accomplished here

Feb 12, 2020
Doesn't look like they're making that much to start with.

Not sure there's really any to hoard.

While I'm not sure how well they're actually doing on steam, itch, and merch... Patreon shows BunFan making about $7700/mo. After patreon fees but before taxes that's ~$6500. Bunfan appears to be an LLC in Florida, so 5.5% corp tax and some amount of sales tax, down to ~$6150 to pay people with, assuming they don't spend money on anything else. Taxes for paying people, ~13% for FICA and FUTA, and ~2.7% state in Florida, now we're down to ~$5175. Assuming the discussion on discord about even split among employees, which there appear to be 4-7 (i'll go with 5 for easy math), they could be seeing up to $1000/mo before they pay their own income taxes, as well as pay fees for taking disbursements from patreon.

So ballpark, if there are 5 employees working full time, though I'd guess nobody's actually full time on this project, they'd be making less than US minimum wage.

For context, if Kom just took all the money from patreon and didn't pay anyone, he'd be seeing $62k a year. The median/25th percentile for an entry level video game artist, 75% would make more than you, is $80k a year. So yeah, I'd agree that he seems to be a poor businessman, but while there's drama here I don't know what people here are going on about.
There are bigger games that had less funding that had significantly more development over the time period. Compare this to say, Oh So Hero! which used to have less funding (although its surpassed it by now).

This is a rhythm game; you make charts, some animations, and probably some "cutscene slides" for the story. I sincerely doubt they're going the FNF route of full on animated cutscenes. And hey, I realize art and coding takes time.

But they've had time.

And anytime I get a notification from their discord it's about them pushing their merch. I used to support their Patreon until I realized that fuck all had been added in like 8 months and if they're this far behind they probably will never finish all the promises they made.

I really like the concept. I really like the art. I want to trust their team, but that trust died over the years its taken them to get past... what do they even have 4 full levels yet? Reminder that they were supposed to be done with Act 2 last year, according to their roadmap. The response to this being pointed out was "yeah that didn't work out lol."

Not to mention the Patreon goals that were reached, and then taken down because people kept asking about them.

I just... people are paying for this. It's one thing if you're a regular pirate bitching about a free product, but the people who put their support behind this project deserve something more than an uncolored level in 8 months.

They need someone to be organizing this because it does not need to take this long. It toes the line between malicious and incompetence. When money is involved, it's a completely different beast. I wouldn't care at all if it hadn't advertised its Patreon goals and given a timeline.

SpiderHole

Jul 25, 2017
Damn, so, after reading all posts I want to simplify everything for people searching a way to autoplay and mod the actual 3.531 version !
1 - Download latest BeatBanger version on main post :
2 - Download latest bbcum patch :
3 - Download the Delta Patcher :
4 - Patch your game using Delta Patcher. (Use READ.me inside "latest bbcum patch" folder if you need help patching)
5 - Enjoy !

Snowsexxx32

Jun 3, 2018
huh... ok yeah that's... fair, but still kinda shitty how little stuff is being accomplished here
...fuck all had been added in like 8 months and if they're this far behind they probably will never finish all the promises they made.

I really like the concept. I really like the art. I want to trust their team, but that trust died over the years its taken them to get past... what do they even have 4 full levels yet? Reminder that they were supposed to be done with Act 2 last year, according to their roadmap. The response to this being pointed out was "yeah that didn't work out lol."
Yeah, with you on most of this, but it does seem like they are doing work.

I am seeing progress on the mod tools being directly integrated. Both being able to download mods directly in the game, being able to edit levels in game, and that mods now convert automatically (mostly). It's still not where the charter tool is currently, but it looks like a good direction and progress. That's all in the past three to six months, and Gale was about a year ago IIRC.

I don't usually pay any attention to roadmaps from small teams, because they're often wildly inaccurate. I can't speak for artists, but I've never met a dev that has a reasonable capacity to estimate their own pace for delivery and account for distractions. It usually takes someone on the outside looking in to let them know that historically they've only been capable of delivering half of what they say they'd like to do in a given period of time.

I'd agree that the content development itself is really lacking, but that's been less of a concern to me given the focus on mod support. Now if only the mod community side of things wasn't taking some hits as well, that's where I've been more discouraged.

XephosDB

May 17, 2019
While I'm not sure how well they're actually doing on steam, itch, and merch...
So even without accounting for any other revenue streams or commissions or other projects Kom can pay himself and 4 others ~1k a month to work on the game. Sounds like we should expect at least a week's worth of work from a team of 5 every month then. What we are seeing is nowhere close to that. even the modding tools and tweaks do not add up to anything close to that. Kom had a few levels already sketched out for act 1 and 2 over a year ago, and if he would have kept the same pace he was going in the beginning we'd probably have a finished game right now.

Snowsexxx32

Jun 3, 2018
So even without accounting for any other revenue streams or commissions or other projects Kom can pay himself and 4 others ~1k a month to work on the game. Sounds like we should expect at least a week's worth of work from a team of 5 every month then.
Not even close. I wouldn't expect to see a team put in a full week a month for $1000 each, remember $1k a week is bottom of the barrel pay for an entry level artist, and you aren't getting a week out of a competent dev for that. Maybe I just have low expectation when I see an artist acting as a dev, and also understand that early production work always goes faster than work once you've gotten going. Pirate Software has a few good explanations of why you see this from devs, but you could just look at the abandoned projects bin to see it.

I don't know though, I wouldn't be surprised if internally they're just putting effort into whatever keeps people engaged and them afloat. They list 7 contributors on the site, and list their jobs as $20/hr part time, you can make that by taking a job not helping customers at home depot.

UnrealEyes

Feb 23, 2022
Finally finished the Zoe episode 2 gif - haven't drawn the background and could probably do with a bit more cleanup but I'm fairly happy with how it stands. Will hopefully get chance to draw some more soon and then maybe look at how to get this into the game if I really wanna get into the code.

View attachment 3725022
It looks good, congrats

(It'll probably would cost 1 year ( $100/month (the highest tier)) on Bunfan/Komdog patreon if animation like that would be made by Kom (you know, BB progress are like that), lol)

• Haha
Reactions: TripleDex

Dr.Invisible

Mar 21, 2021
Damn, so, after reading all posts I want to simplify everything for people searching a way to autoplay and mod the actual 3.531 version !
1 - Download latest BeatBanger version on main post : Mega
2 - Download latest bbcum patch : PixelDrain
4 - Patch your game using Delta Patcher. (Use READ.me inside "latest bbcum patch" folder if you need help patching)
5 - Enjoy !
Thank you so much <3

Reactions: SpiderHole

XephosDB

May 17, 2019
Not even close. I wouldn't expect to see a team put in a full week a month for $1000 each, remember $1k a week is bottom of the barrel pay for an entry level artist, and you aren't getting a week out of a competent dev for that. Maybe I just have low expectation when I see an artist acting as a dev, and also understand that early production work always goes faster than work once you've gotten going. Pirate Software has a few good explanations of why you see this from devs, but you could just look at the abandoned projects bin to see it.

I don't know though, I wouldn't be surprised if internally they're just putting effort into whatever keeps people engaged and them afloat. They list 7 contributors on the site, and list their jobs as $20/hr part time, you can make that by taking a job not helping customers at home depot.
Seems like you are a little lost. 1000 a week for a stay at home job for a super small team like this (easy entry level) This is a great job to add to a portfolio. There are plenty of states where 20 dollars an hour is unobtainable for entry level saying 20/hr for home depot is telling. Hell this could be a job you can get even if you don't live in a first world country. I don't care if you don't think it's worth a week of work. the vast majority could see this as fair to expect a week of work for 1k.

if kom is banking >5k on the PATREON ALONE and paying $20/hr shouldn't we be seeing a LOT more work being done than what has been shown?

Snowsexxx32

Jun 3, 2018
saying 20/hr for home depot is telling.
Yeah, telling that I know home depot's entry level positions are 15-24/hr, their corp minimum is 15, and that you probably don't see the upper end of that outside mid-size cities, costal markets, and areas they have to compete with other local industry, but yeah, there are a few states without mid size cities or oil fields that probably hold entry level at their minimum.

What do you think happens if he's banking the the $5k and paying the other people $20/hr. That would pay the rest of the currently listed team for a week and leave him with $200. If everyone's paid the same, then they're able to cover 250 hours a month.

So to your question, "shouldn't we be seeing a LOT more work being done than what's shown?" Naw, we *could* expect 1.5 peoples worth of work a month, if that's what you think you get when you contribute to patreon, but that isn't what they commit to you getting if you're a patron anyway.

I do actually see work being done when trying to poke at the game itself and the mod tools. While it seems reasonable to me, even though I don't have any behind the scenes access (curious what the people actually paying for that think). It seems like many just have the expectation that they crank out animation content so they can burn through it using an autoplay script.

The only problem I'd expect right now is the gap between the state that bbcharter was left in and the current state of the in game editor. Plenty of new things added that just aren't really usable for someone trying to use the tools for mod creation at the moment, which was their lifeline for a bit but I don't know how people create mods in the current version.

BBcharter works better, but it appears to not be maintained currently, so it looks like the most effective workflow for creating a level right now is to frame it out in charter, and then make additional changes using the in game editor, or modify the files directly. I'm curious what others are doing for this currently.

Reactions: WasteAway
Feb 17, 2018
1 - Download latest BeatBanger version on main post : Mega
2 - Download latest bbcum patch : PixelDrain
5 - Enjoy !
You are a hero <3

Reactions: SpiderHole
4.40 star(s) 47 Votes