Mod Ren'Py Being a DIK [S1/S2 v0.8.3 & S3 v0.10.1] Multi-Mod [Sancho1969]

4.80 star(s) 13 Votes

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Yeah I've been using it now. Only problem I've encountered is that it takes longer to load up the game and it says 0.8.2 on the bottom right of the main menu but that's about it. I have a question though; Are you able to disable naming every save you make? It seems like a useful thing to have once in a while but having to name them every time does become a bit annoying.
In SanchoOptions simply toggle Off "SaveDescription":
1661744755123.png

Reactions: Herbert1

Lumi24

Mar 21, 2022
At the end of my solo Quinn playthrough the game determines itself that I'm going for the "others" branch which is good. The mod shows the Quinn path and branch set to True but for some reason Envy's branch is also set to True? For what reason? I redid my whole playthrough just to make sure; I didn't succeed her on Swyper and I didn't interact with her anywhere else but it still shows True.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
At the end of my solo Quinn playthrough the game determines itself that I'm going for the "others" branch which is good. The mod shows the Quinn path and branch set to True but for some reason Envy's branch is also set to True? For what reason? I redid my whole playthrough just to make sure; I didn't succeed her on Swyper and I didn't interact with her anywhere else but it still shows True.
To clarify there's Path and Branch. In the case you laid out the Branch is True as reported by (technically) the variable [branchAlone]. Being on BranchAlone is a prerequisite to either LI... so it doesn't declare you on Envy's LI Path per se. Remember, the mod stat screens only report the dev's variables, it does not modify them in any way.

To clarify further the current branch variables are as follows (to date):
branchMayaJosy
branchIsabella
branchJill
branchSage
branchAlone

Currently [branchAlone] is a requirement for pathing "Others". Currently this is possible for Quinn, Envy, & Heather according to the variables QuinnLikesU, EnvyLikesU, and HeatherLikesU respectively. Who knows what the dev has planned but those are the known variables to date. You have BOTH [QuinnLikesU] and [branchAlone] so you're good with her. The others.... likely not but who knows at this point.

Make more sense?

Reactions: Lumi24

Lumi24

Mar 21, 2022
To clarify there's Path and Branch. In the case you laid out the Branch is True as reported by (technically) the variable [branchAlone]. Being on BranchAlone is a prerequisite to either LI... so it doesn't declare you on Envy's LI Path per se. Remember, the mod stat screens only report the dev's variables, it does not modify them in any way.

To clarify further the current branch variables are as follows (to date):
branchMayaJosy
branchIsabella
branchJill
branchSage
branchAlone

Currently [branchAlone] is a requirement for pathing "Others". Currently this is possible for Quinn, Envy, & Heather according to the variables QuinnLikesU, EnvyLikesU, and HeatherLikesU respectively. Who knows what the dev has planned but those are the known variables to date. You have BOTH [QuinnLikesU] and [branchAlone] so you're good with her. The others.... likely not but who knows at this point.

Make more sense?
That makes a lot more sense, thank you for explaining this.

Reactions: Sancho1969

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
That makes a lot more sense, thank you for explaining this.
You're welcome. Note that the stat screen will most certainly change as the "Others" (aka branchAlone) has completely unknown outcomes... in other words we have no idea what prerequisites will be for whatever going forward. These "Branches" were just introduced so they weren't even a thing before 0.8

Reactions: Lumi24

Genkho

Mar 15, 2021
It should as I didn't modify ANY of the Steam code. If you'd like to test then simply backup both your original "scripts.rpa" and "scripts_season2.rpa" files. That way you can replace back to original without having to reverify via Steam if you want your original back (saving you a ton of DL bandwidth).
Hii Sancho, is this work for patch version 0.8.3 season 1+2?
cuz my game already update patch. please answear..
Thank you.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Hii Sancho, is this work for patch version 0.8.3 season 1+2?
cuz my game already update patch. please answear..
Thank you.
The mod does NOT contain the 0.8.3 patch (otherwise it would be SanchoMod 0.8.3). If you install the mod inside a 0.8.3 VN then it basically becomes 0.8.2

Herbert1

Jul 29, 2019
Is it possible for you to make an option to basically not have to choose between the girls? You've already basically done a mini version of it with the choice to do multiple choices in the same day so I don't think it'd be that hard as all you'd have to do it remove the branch locks(though I don't know as I'm not a modder). It'd probably be the single best thing any modder could do to improve the gameplay experience because the whole game essentially leads you on and then forces you to cockblock yourself. It feels to me like the dev just trying to extend the game for as long as he can so people complain less about updates.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Is it possible for you to make an option to basically not have to choose between the girls? You've already basically done a mini version of it with the choice to do multiple choices in the same day so I don't think it'd be that hard as all you'd have to do it remove the branch locks(though I don't know as I'm not a modder). It'd probably be the single best thing any modder could do to improve the gameplay experience because the whole game essentially leads you on and then forces you to cockblock yourself. It feels to me like the dev just trying to extend the game for as long as he can so people complain less about updates.
Well, it's technically impossible without completely rewriting the dev's scripts. Why? Because of conditionals. For those that don't understand what a conditional is think: if (this) then (that) else if (this) then (the other) else (do this instead).

So, even if you had every single path/love/like/fucknut/whatever variable set to True, the very first item in the conditional the dev wrote would be the scene or label that is jumped too.... so you'd only get that particular LI scene/label dialogue.

Think about that for more than 2 minutes and you'll see what I'm getting at... the conditional is: one thing OR else this thing OR else the other thing OR else even yet another thing.... it's never AND "all things".

This is my Crown & Coke version of how conditionals work in code. Take it with a grain of salt but I think it sorts the issue in a nutshell. This is NOT a kinetic written novel... choices have consequences due to conditional code (the if/else if/else statements). To do what you're asking would take someone to remove every single conditional out of all the code and re-write the scripts to flow in an exact way to achieve all LI's and try to fit a storyline..... that's wayyyyy the fuck out of the scope of my mods. It's not my job to write a story... that's on the developer.

Hope that makes sense. Let me know if it doesn't somewhere. Regards.

Herbert1

Jul 29, 2019
Well, it's technically impossible without completely rewriting the dev's scripts. Why? Because of conditionals. For those that don't understand what a conditional is think: if (this) then (that) else if (this) then (the other) else (do this instead).

So, even if you had every single path/love/like/fucknut/whatever variable set to True, the very first item in the conditional the dev wrote would be the scene or label that is jumped too.... so you'd only get that particular LI scene/label dialogue.

Think about that for more than 2 minutes and you'll see what I'm getting at... the conditional is: one thing OR else this thing OR else the other thing OR else even yet another thing.... it's never AND "all things".

This is my Crown & Coke version of how conditionals work in code. Take it with a grain of salt but I think it sorts the issue in a nutshell. This is NOT a kinetic written novel... choices have consequences due to conditional code (the if/else if/else statements). To do what you're asking would take someone to remove every single conditional out of all the code and re-write the scripts to flow in an exact way to achieve all LI's and try to fit a storyline..... that's wayyyyy the fuck out of the scope of my mods. It's not my job to write a story... that's on the developer.

Hope that makes sense. Let me know if it doesn't somewhere. Regards.
Thanks for taking the time to write such an informative reply. So basically the dev has chosen to make it as complicated as possible for someone to remove the branch locks? With my 2 weeks of programming classes before dropping it I'd imagine it'd be easier if he just made it so that the choice of who to date set all other branches to false so all a modder had to do was to make a choice that made all branches true so if the script had a ''if true then blah blah'' or ''else no blah blah'' then the scenes would all play one after another because they'd all be true. At least that's how I understood it.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Thanks for taking the time to write such an informative reply. So basically the dev has chosen to make it as complicated as possible for someone to remove the branch locks? With my 2 weeks of programming classes before dropping it I'd imagine it'd be easier if he just made it so that the choice of who to date set all other branches to false so all a modder had to do was to make a choice that made all branches true so if the script had a ''if true then blah blah'' or ''else no blah blah'' then the scenes would all play one after another because they'd all be true. At least that's how I understood it.
Well, to be honest almost all code is written in this multiple-conditional format... to achieve a specific goal. So there's really no master On/Off switch but rather dozens (or even hundreds or thousands) of mini-On/Off switches that dictate what the code is to do at a given point in time when called upon. In the case of any VN with multiple LI's that's selective then the code MUST be written with conditionals to dictate pathing (or multiple steps in many cases) to keep those (hopefully pre-planned) scenarios as originally intended. Think when making payment via MC/Visa/AmXpress.... the payment code is written to be one of a few but never all of them at once. This happens many, many times through the progression of a more complex storyline in almost every single case.

Herbert1

Jul 29, 2019
Well, to be honest almost all code is written in this multiple-conditional format... to achieve a specific goal. So there's really no master On/Off switch but rather dozens (or even hundreds or thousands) of mini-On/Off switches that dictate what the code is to do at a given point in time when called upon. In the case of any VN with multiple LI's that's selective then the code MUST be written with conditionals to dictate pathing (or multiple steps in many cases) to keep those (hopefully pre-planned) scenarios as originally intended. Think when making payment via MC/Visa/AmXpress.... the payment code is written to be one of a few but never all of them at once. This happens many, many times through the progression of a more complex storyline in almost every single case.
I think I get it. It has multiple variables so that it happens at the correct time in the correct order. That's unfortunate - I was hoping it was just time, opinion and branch true/false which meant you'd only need to change the true/false.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
I think I get it. It has multiple variables so that it happens at the correct time in the correct order. That's unfortunate - I was hoping it was just time, opinion and branch true/false which meant you'd only need to change the true/false.
Note: just as a base case for conditionals and their use, SanchoMod (all by itself, not hooked into any VN) has over 500 conditionals (if statements) all by itself... just to make the mod work the way it currently does.

Herbert1

Jul 29, 2019
Note: just as a base case for conditionals and their use, SanchoMod (all by itself, not hooked into any VN) has over 500 conditionals (if statements) all by itself... just to make the mod work the way it currently does.
You're just reinforcing my decision to drop programming at this point.

• Haha
Reactions: Sancho1969

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Actually if dumbed-down completely programming is a lot like algebra (in my fucked up way of seeing it). It's all just math but I personally love complex conditionals and is the reason why I can code dynamic walkthroughs and free roam guides the way I do... so it always knows where the player is, what they chose before, and what will happen if they make any of the next choices. It's powerful as can be if harnessed but is so easy to go down the rabbit hole of no return... Alice in Wonderland style where it will drive you insane..... but I'm a simple redneck at the end of the day. I dig logic though... common sense plus complex problems are puzzles of entertainment for oddballs like me.

Herbert1

Jul 29, 2019
Actually if dumbed-down completely programming is a lot like algebra (in my fucked up way of seeing it). It's all just math but I personally love complex conditionals and is the reason why I can code dynamic walkthroughs and free roam guides the way I do... so it always knows where the player is, what they chose before, and what will happen if they make any of the next choices. It's powerful as can be if harnessed but is so easy to go down the rabbit hole of no return... Alice in Wonderland style where it will drive you insane..... but I'm a simple redneck at the end of the day. I dig logic though... common sense plus complex problems are puzzles of entertainment for oddballs like me.
I got shit grades in everything even related to math in high school even though I excelled at the non-math aspects of it. Can see why I never got into programming if it's anything like algebra. I think I can imagine how many variables there must be if you have to keep track of previous choices as well instead of just opinion, time of day and true/false. Seems like a nightmare to me..

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Also, I don't want to leave you thinking that what your asking is impossible... it's not. It's just the time required to do so would be a work of pure passion with no other projects to maintain while doing so. Because I now have ~30 mods I made public (thank goodness I haven't released them all or I'd be fucked) I just don't have the time to manicure in fine detail to suit every other person's desires... I mod these VN's with what I want in them and then introduce them publicly. Sure, if a request is simple enough for me to implement that I didn't consider before I'll knock it out but for the most part there's a pre-planned outcome of my personal wants/needs at the time and that's what I code and maintain for that particular VN. It's personal time resource management at the end of the day I guess.

Herbert1

Jul 29, 2019
Also, I don't want to leave you thinking that what your asking is impossible... it's not. It's just the time required to do so would be a work of pure passion with no other projects to maintain while doing so. Because I now have ~30 mods I made public (thank goodness I haven't released them all or I'd be fucked) I just don't have the time to manicure in fine detail to suit every other person's desires... I mod these VN's with what I want in them and then introduce them publicly. Sure, if a request is simple enough for me to implement that I didn't consider before I'll knock it out but for the most part there's a pre-planned outcome of my personal wants/needs at the time and that's what I code and maintain for that particular VN. It's personal time resource management at the end of the day I guess.
Don't worry I get it. I just looked at your profile and see the ridiculous amount of mods you make and can't quite comprehend how you're able to do it while being so responsive to queries. Btw you should definitely make a patreon or something - with the amount of mods you make, even if only a couple people donate per mod you'd make a decent chunk of money while gaining extra motivation.

If you ever do get more into this game though you should definitely consider adding what I suggested. It'd save you a lot of time as you wouldn't have to restart a 20GB game just to see a different route.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Btw you should definitely make a patreon or something - with the amount of mods you make, even if only a couple people donate per mod you'd make a decent chunk of money
Won't ever happen bud... not under this pseudonym. See my profile's "about" page for details on why this hypocrisy cannot be allowed to occur. Best regards.

Herbert1

Jul 29, 2019
Won't ever happen bud... not under this pseudonym. See my profile's "about" page for details on why this hypocrisy cannot be allowed to occur. Best regards.
Never seen a person do hard work for and even refuse payment. You're a pleasant if perplexing suprise.

4.80 star(s) 13 Votes