Deleted member 2528490

Jun 28, 2020
I can see the relation, though it seem to me novels would have a longer entertainment time than a chaper or two of badik. Granted with the upcoming release, were about halfway through dpcs original plan of total chapters and its been, like what, 3~3 1/2 years. Theres quite a bit of content, And 2 to 5 years per book isn't out of the norm for novels. So maybe it isn't that different.
Bear in mind, my original comment was I don't mind waiting a year for a huge episode worth 2-3 episodes. I see waiting a year for an episode worth 2-3 episodes the same as getting 2-3 episodes a year. As the topic was the wait getting longer, which is due to the episodes getting bigger.

If we're waiting a year for an episode thats worth something like an episode of Echoes of Lust, I wouldn't be as lenient. I'd drop that shit like hot dog shit.

shazba

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020
Every episode will be bigger than the last.

This is Pinkcakes retirement fund he's building up, he's not going to speed up while the dough is flowing.
Imagine reaching a point where one chapter releases per year :ROFLMAO:
To be fair, if its because the amount of content is getting bigger and bigger. I'm fine with that. One episode worth 2-3 episodes is the same as 2-3 episodes, imo.
Honestly wouldn't surprise me, it's not like Pinkcakes is in his 20s looking at this has a long term career. He's an old man, DIK is his swan song and he's aiming to go out on top. Rushing episodes to get more out isn't going to benefit his legacy.
You don't know his age. None of us do.
I'm pretty sure he's middle aged.

I reckon he modeled the character from Acting Lessons on himself. Plus this game and Acting Lessons both exude a level of maturity in their design, language, nuance etc. that I wouldn't expect from a horny 15 year old.

Even things like stroking the players ego when the mc posts on Rooster, you'll notice that the mc's posts almost always gets more likes than any other poster (except the OP); those kind of intricate details, I reckon he's got an engineering degree or something like that and has years of working experience.

Just my totally unprofessional psychological evaluation.

Lol, as if he couldn't make a new game. As if he couldn't make a better game. That every dev milks mindset is just to much.
I agree with djhillyhill, that "milking dev" mindset is a very unpleasant, cynical attitude, especially when leveled at the guy who is arguably working harder than any other dev show-cased on this site, and delivering much higher combined quality and quantity.

I know what it's like to work ridiculous hours, for some extended stints I work 80 - 100 hours a week, and I would be incensed if someone accused me of milking the job.

I dunno. It honestly doesn't bother me.

I mean, its no different than a novel series to me. For example, I got into Dresden Files fully knowing it would take 20+ years to finish. Here we are 21 years later, and we're still a bunch of books away from the end. Stormlight Archive started in 2010, and we're a decade later 4/10 books through. I started reading The Wheel of Time when I was seven, and the series finished when I was 17.
I can see the relation, though it seem to me novels would have a longer entertainment time than a chaper or two of badik. Granted with the upcoming release, were about halfway through dpcs original plan of total chapters and its been, like what, 3~3 1/2 years. Theres quite a bit of content, And 2 to 5 years per book isn't out of the norm for novels. So maybe it isn't that different.
Bear in mind, my original comment was I don't mind waiting a year for a huge episode worth 2-3 episodes. I see waiting a year for an episode worth 2-3 episodes the same as getting 2-3 episodes a year. As the topic was the wait getting longer, which is due to the episodes getting bigger.

If we're waiting a year for an episode thats worth something like an episode of Echoes of Lust, I wouldn't be as lenient. I'd drop that shit like hot dog shit.
I'd much rather wait 6 months for an epic episode than after one month have some forgettable shit served up.

Deleted member 2528490

Jun 28, 2020

I reckon he modeled the character from Acting Lessons on himself. Plus this game and Acting Lessons both exude a level of maturity in their design, language, nuance etc. that I wouldn't expect from a horny 15 year old.

Even things like stroking the players ego when the mc posts on Rooster, you'll notice that the mc's posts almost always gets more likes than any other poster (except the OP); those kind of intricate details, I reckon he's got an engineering degree or something like that and has years of working experience.

I agree with djhillyhill, that "milking dev" mindset is a very unpleasant, cynical attitude, especially when leveled at the guy who is arguably working harder than any other dev show-cased on this site, and delivering much higher combined quality and quantity.

I know what it's like to work ridiculous hours, for some extended stints I work 80 - 100 hours a week, and I would be incensed if someone accused me of milking the job.

I'd much rather wait 6 months for an epic episode than after one month have some forgettable shit served up.
As usual. Shazzy knows whats up.

Craduco

Jul 27, 2017
I'm looking for a neutral and dik save at the end of the current version, please hook me up someone:)

D2M3

Jan 20, 2018
I dunno. It honestly doesn't bother me.

I mean, its no different than a novel series to me. For example, I got into Dresden Files fully knowing it would take 20+ years to finish. Here we are 21 years later, and we're still a bunch of books away from the end. Stormlight Archive started in 2010, and we're a decade later 4/10 books through. I started reading The Wheel of Time when I was seven, and the series finished when I was 17.
The fact that Dresden Files didn't end when Harry died ( spoilers for a decade old book at this point) always vexed me a little. And the melodrama with Molly, and the completely unnecessary addition of sexual tension with her for Harry.... Yeesh.

My point is, when something goes on for longer than it has to, unnecessary and irritating plot points start to happen because these are things writer adds on later with little to no retconning to make them work.

A game like BaDIK goes long enough, we will also see the same thing. Hence my apprehension for that "14-20" episode timeline.

This thing's natural story progression indicates a total of 3 seasons (12 episodes), not more.

I have the utmost faith in DPC, but a Jim Butcher he is not.

You either die a Tolkien, or live long enough to see yourself become GRR Martin. (ehe)

I don't think he's a 'milking dev', but I do think he's vastly overestimating the progression timeline of the story he already put in front of us.

Every time I see this, I have to tell people. That's not a job, that's torture. Doesn't matter if you love what you do, no 'job' should take more than 45-50 hours a week max.

80-100 hours is why American and Japanese work cultures are so barbaric and inhumane.

Last edited:

Kellermann

Engaged Member
Oct 20, 2020
As usual. Shazzy knows whats up.
I agree with midle aged. We know DPC completed college and he said he worked a number of years in programming (I think it was) before getting into game development. He also mentioned he likes the old college comedy movies. I never even heard of those until he mentioned them and I went back to watch. But most of all, like Shazba said, the style of writing and the maturity of the insight into character actions. You don't get something like that until you've had some life experiences.

Deleted member 2528490

Jun 28, 2020
The fact that Dresden Files didn't end when Harry died ( spoilers for a decade old book at this point) always vexed me a little. And the melodrama with Molly, and the completely unnecessary addition of sexual tension with her for Harry.... Yeesh.

My point is, when something goes on for longer than it has to, unnecessary and irritating plot points start to happen because these are things writer adds on later with little to no retconning to make them work.

A game like BaDIK goes long enough, we will also see the same thing. Hence my apprehension for that "14-20" episode timeline.

This thing's natural story progression indicates a total of 3 seasons (12 episodes), not more.
Kind of funny because these bits you mentioned are planned plot points. Not Jim making shit up to extend the series. Its well known he's mapped out the big beats and novel ideas since day 1. This was always planned to be 20 books in the main series topped off by an apocalyptic trilogy. Hell, we've known about Mirror, Mirror(which is still like 2 book away) for over a decade now.

You not liking what happened doesn't mean a creator is milking it. (If you're complaining about Gary Stu Butters, you'd have a point though. Jesus fuck what a waste)

You have no idea what the "natural progression" is because you don't know what the plan is.

Reactions: MelonGod

drakken

Nov 13, 2017

If you look at his comments on the q&a too, certain things point to an age group. For example how he talks about there's a lil of him in Derrick and how he likes pushing his feminist wife's buttons to get her riled up. That would show he's at least the older end of millenials if not a lil older. Which would put him somewhere around middle aged.

Reactions: shazba

D2M3

Jan 20, 2018
Kind of funny because these bits you mentioned are planned plot points. Not Jim making shit up to extend the series. Its well known he's mapped out the big beats and novel ideas since day 1. This was always planned to be 20 books in the main series topped off by an apocalyptic trilogy. Hell, we've known about Mirror, Mirror(which is still like 2 book away) for over a decade now.

You not liking what happened doesn't mean a creator is milking it. (If you're complaining about Gary Stu Butters, you'd have a point though. Jesus fuck what a waste)

You have no idea what the "natural progression" is because you don't know what the plan is.
True, but I'll always contend that even with planning way in advance, there are at least 3 books in the series he could've accomplished the plot points in one, and without many of the contrivances to stretch those books.

No author or creator is infallible, and falling way too much in love with one's work is a well known phenomenon. (Hell, it happens to even Data Scientists and programmers like myself, I have tinkered with a few algorithms way past the point that they were already working to make it unnecessarily better.)

Still...... Look, Season 1 was an excellent Act 1. So far, Season 2 is an excellent Act 2 and has all the bearings of such. The pace quickened and story points are in process of maturing. By all indications, Season 3 will have many payoffs. So anything past that.....

As I said, I have faith in DPC, but still... I'm always apprehensive about stories that go on for way too long.

shazba

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020

I have the utmost faith in DPC, but a Jim Butcher he is not.

You either die a Tolkien, or live long enough to see yourself become GRR Martin. (ehe)

I don't think he's a 'milking dev', but I do think he's vastly overestimating the progression timeline of the story he already put in front of us.
From what DPC's said, he's already completed his story line for the entire game, he just fleshes it out more for each episode. If he sticks to that formula, his vision will become incarnate (that's some biblical shit right there).

Do you know the story line that he has already developed?

At the moment the "plot" is very thin. We're just getting to know the characters and their motives. Who knows if the story will change gear.

Sure it's just a college comedy, but there's so much seedy shit going on at B&R and at the moment none of it really has any bearing on the MC. How's he going to get dragged in to it? How deep will he go?

Every time I see this, I have to tell people. That's not a job, that's torture. Doesn't matter if you love what you do, no 'job' should take more than 45-50 hours a week max.

80-100 hours is why American and Japanese work cultures are so barbaric and inhumane.
For me, it's more about reputation. When shit hits the fan, some people bail, others muck in and fix shit. I would never want to be seen as a quitter or a failure, so I put whatever effort is required to solve things. But to be honest, I don't know why DPC is putting in so many hours. The "milking it" argument would make more sense if he just worked 20 hours a week, 'cause he's not paid by the hour...

Kellermann

Engaged Member
Oct 20, 2020
I'd rather have a 3-month wait and have the same story quantity we had at ep. 1 & 2. Episode 1 was perfect. It set everything up, had MC go on a date with Josy, he went to college and was introduced to most of the important characters and got into a little drama. MC even had some lewd fun...without any long, drawn out D&G nonsense. :cry: I don't need an epic saga episode that takes 6 months to build. Give me 3-4 months and I'm happy.

Deleted member 2528490

Jun 28, 2020
True, but I'll always contend that even with planning way in advance, there are at least 3 books in the series he could've accomplished the plot points in one, and without many of the contrivances to stretch those books.

No author or creator is infallible, and falling way too much in love with one's work is a well known phenomenon. (Hell, it happens to even Data Scientists and programmers like myself, I have tinkered with a few algorithms way past the point that they were already working to make it unnecessarily better.)
Can't disagree there. The recent Peace Talks/Battle Ground split is a good example. I'm not arguing that planning in advance guarantees a good pace or even good plot beats. We've all read/watched/played too many dogshit fictions to be that naive. My point is simply that it is a dumb claim to immediately point to milking because you personally don't like what happens.

Like Butcher, DPC seems to have a plan he's following. (Although, its a fluid plan going by recent comments.) You not liking how it plays out, for however long it does, does not mean he is milking it or that the story has outstayed its welcome. It means you didn't like the story he was telling. And thats okay.

InfiniteIgnorance

Nov 3, 2019
Sure it's just a college comedy, but there's so much seedy shit going on at B&R and at the moment none of it really has any bearing on the MC.
This. The MC could pack his shit and leave without any consequences or repercussions other than not getting into the pants of any of the female characters in the future. It feels like DPC waited too long to develop the plot. It's all be precursory shit that could have been excluded and we would more or less have the same story.

• Thinking Face

drakken

Nov 13, 2017
I'd rather have a 3-month wait and have the same story quantity we had at ep. 1 & 2. Episode 1 was perfect. It set everything up, had MC go on a date with Josy, he went to college and was introduced to most of the important characters and got into a little drama. MC even had some lewd fun...without any long, drawn out D&G nonsense. :cry: I don't need an epic saga episode that takes 6 months to build. Give me 3-4 months and I'm happy.
I guess u could say d&g had its point, it created a "friendship" which allowed mc to achieve one of the tasks of hell week(wedgie). Could play into it, if mc needs their help again.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: kazaf and shazba

shazba

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020
I can't compare unfortunately.

I started when episode 5 was already complete, smashed through the game and was so hyped as the credits rolled after the mc received his jacket and did his speech on the stairs.

Then episode 6 came out, and it was longer than the previous episodes, but I never played them in installments so I never got the feeling for how long they ran individually. At some point during ep. 6 I started to get nervous that the credits were about to roll again, but they didn't, not for several hours.

Compare that with CoBD. Same thing, I played it for the first time right before the last episode was released. Enjoyed it up until the credits rolled, wasn't as stoked as BaD but when the next episode came out I played it pretty much right away. It was good and then, bang, it ended, way too soon. You don't want that on your resume...

EDIT: I seriously hope there's more DnG. I never even played that shit in real life (played some D&D inspired computer games but never like a dungeon master around the table type shit), but I hope DPC learns that there's gotta be "real life" implications t the game.

This. The MC could pack his shit and leave without any consequences or repercussions other than not getting into the pants of any of the female characters in the future. It feels like DPC waited too long to develop the plot. It's all be precursory shit that could have been excluded and we would more or less have the same story.
Except it's been a fun ride so far, so why begrudge it? Foreplay can be a lot of fun if you're not so preoccupied with getting your rocks off - it'll happen, enjoy the moment.

InfiniteIgnorance

Nov 3, 2019
Except it's been a fun ride so far, so why begrudge it? Foreplay can be a lot of fun if you're not so preoccupied with getting your rocks off - it'll happen, enjoy the moment.
No argument. It's been one of the best games out for quite some time. I'd still like to see the MC more trapped by the decisions he makes. He's not really paying for his mistakes.

4.80 star(s) 1,538 Votes