SpyderArachnid

Jul 31, 2017
Release´day is gonna be a nightmare for be able to download the full game.
They usually release update patches so you don't have to download the whole game every update. I think the worst is going to be all those asking for the walkthrough mods to be updated all throughout the following week, just to have it delayed cause a bugfix patch came out. :p

lemonfreak

The Freakiest of Lemons
Oct 24, 2018
They usually release update patches so you don't have to download the whole game every update. I think the worst is going to be all those asking for the walkthrough mods to be updated all throughout the following week, just to have it delayed cause a bugfix patch came out. :p
No patch this time due to DPC updating the engine

sorco2003

Sep 3, 2020
There will be no patch this time, you have to download the full game (19 gb).

Reactions: SpyderArachnid

f96zonetrooper

Engaged Member
Dec 21, 2018

Beta testing and proofreading have just started.

As soon as I know a little bit more, I can set a release date.

I'm aiming for a November release for the $25 tier, and that's all I can say at the moment.

If you base your pledge on the release date, please wait until the release date is final.

I know that everyone is excited; you should be, and I am too.

Please, be patient with us during this final phase, and the update will come faster.

Important information regarding patching
I will explain in the section below why I cannot supply a patch for this update.

What this means for v0.8.0 is that everyone will have to download the full game this time.

I haven't forgotten about the $5 patrons waiting for the patch. Anyone who pledges $5 in December 2021 and has pledged at least $15 total on Patreon during this year will get a DM with the links to the full update two weeks after release.

However, there won't be a post for any patch, and I will temporarily remove the $5 tier patch reward on release. When the first patch of Season 3 becomes available, this tier reward will return.

Detailed information
Now, why won't a patch be available?

To make a long story short, I have upgraded Ren'Py to the latest version to enable 64-bit Windows. The upgrade causes patching to be a nightmare, even for an above-average PC user, so I opted out of it this time.

The Ren'Py upgrade made the game run much smoother and become more responsive than before. When I saw the results, it was worth spending extra time to fix the deprecated functionality and issues that came from upgrading. This upgrade will most likely eliminate all weird out-of-memory bugs and remove most lag from your game.

All in all, you will notice the positive effects of upgrading the Ren'Py version. The only downside to upgrading the game to 64-bit is that 32-bit systems aren't supported anymore. Examples of 32-bit OS that won't be supported are Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows XP. That's the future for all Ren'Py games, not just Being a DIK.

Aside from upgrading Ren'Py, I have tested my save transfer system on Steam and tested a temporary new season 3 binary for Steam as well. It all went smoothly, and I am confident that my chosen way to continue developing the game will be feasible for Patreon and Steam.

So, that's very good news for the Being a DIK development in general.

What will happen now?
Testers and proofreader will get the time they need to test and play. I will fix any bugs and typos they find.

This update is big - something they all commented on after their first playthrough - and it will require several playthroughs to explore fully. When they test, they are also working against a checklist that I provide with tasks that need to be tested.

Testing will also cover earlier episodes to find any bugs from the Ren'Py upgrade.

We are working our hardest, but because of the Ren'Py upgrade and the size of the game, there might be new bugs we missed during testing; as always, I appreciate any bug reports players send my way.

Meanwhile, I will perform additional tests and continue to polish the game.

I will also prepare for the distribution of the Patreon version.

What can you as a player do to prepare?
You can ensure that your saves are up to date and that you have saved at the end of the episode 7 update, where the game tells you to save. Yes, your old saves will work without any issues as long as you did this.

You can make sure that you have enough disk space for the update.

The game will be approximately 19 GB when you extract it, meaning that you will need at least 40 GB of free disk space to download the game and extract it.

If you have any questions regarding all of this, I will do my best to answer you in the comment section below.

I apologize for any confusion; I tried my best to make this long text easy to understand.

Preliminary changelog
Here is the preliminary changelog for v0.8.0. It might change slightly as a result of beta testing.

Added Episode 8 that includes:

• 4158 renders
  • 24 2D-art pieces
  • 358 animations
  • 37 songs
  • 31 sound effects
  • Upgraded Ren'Py version to 7.4.10
  • Updated functionality for viewing special renders in the Rewards app.
  • Redesigned the game menus.
  • Removed the splash screen due to performance issues
  • Added a button to manually save persistent data in the Save menu; automatic saving still works as before.
  • Fixed a rare bug with Brawler that caused four options that resulted in a miss to show at once.
  • Fixed a bug with the math tests that displayed the wrong grade when cheating.
  • Fixed a bug with the bar mixing menu in episode 7.
  • Fixed a rare bug with the mansion mini-game.
  • Fixed cosmetic bugs with the phone.
  • Fixed an issue with the "Previously on Being a DIK" section for episode 7.
  • Fixed a bug with reaching turn 100 in Triple Tile.
  • Fixed an issue where the MC didn't get the right avatar in the Bios app.
  • Fixed an issue with Rooster images not being closed with the middle-mouse button on the old phone.
  • Fixed an issue where Brandi was named Brian in her dialogue.
  • Fixed a Bios issue with Josy.
  • Fixed an issue where Madame Rose was misplaced in alphabetical order in the Bios app.
  • Fixed an issue where the Madame Rose intro was played after each choice when visiting her using the phone.
  • Corrected typos in episode 7

I will post release dates after we have tested the game some more.

DrPinkCake
I am not yet convinced ...

Current version of the game (BaDIK v7.2) has ca. 14 GB size with more than 13 GB assets like images, movies, music, etc. (If you check your game folder for disk usage, be sure to exclude the save files.) Script file packages usually only have a few MB size.

An upgrade to new Ren'py 64 bit version should mostly affect the script files but not the assets. So why download 13 GB of assets again if they are already installed and probably won't be changed? Wouldn't it be sufficient to just overwrite all the script packages as in previous updates?

tathar.

Mar 3, 2018
He is a main character and his last act is to sacrifice himself to save his son and kill the Emperor, so yes from a certain point of view.:cool::cool:
umm.. yea that was definetly weird choice of analogy... since darth vader might not be a 'hero' but definetly the main character of star wars movie series. ep. 1 to 6 it's all about darth vader to be honest..

Reactions: Reggie32 and Redd23

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
Couple things to keep in mind about about the Quinn/Sage relationship.
1. As far as we know, Quinn has been betraying Sage and running drugs and prostitution behind her back. That will put Quinn on edge around her, especially considering how many things have gone wrong for Quinn's plans and how close she probably is to being discovered.
2. Quinn is intimidated by Sage. Whether it's because of Sage's family background/wealth/connections, or the fact that she knows how competent and intelligent Sage is so she doesn't want her as an enemy, or maybe as a woman because Sage is sexy and more charismatic as a leader. Whatever the reason, Quinn views Sage as a threat, not just for the MC's affection if he happens to be on her path, but in general.
3. Quinn was Sage's daughter. They've undoubtedly done heaps of kinky shit together, just like Riona and Camilla do. It makes perfect sense that if Sage was going to have a threesome with the MC and any other girl, it would be her former daughter Quinn, especially since Sage mentions that Quinn can't stop talking about the MC when he stays at the HOTs house (regardless of whether you're on Quinn's path at that point).
I don't think this fits what we've seen of Quinn's actions thus far. She was willing to lie to Sage's face in Episode 4 to set up the prep party, taunt Sage about her wealthy upbringing, and then weasel out of actually informing the DIKs as Sage instructed. Hell, she even tried to set Mona up with Professor Burke right under Sage's nose! And all of this was before Chad broke up with Sage, so Sage should have been paying attention. More recently:
  • She flipped off Maya even though Sage had specifically told her to mend fences if possible
  • She sold drugs to KRJ during the HOT party
  • She is only too happy to interrupt Sage fucking the MC with Riona (unless the MC is on Quinn's path)
To me it's pretty clear that Quinn has no particular fear of Sage, and probably not overmuch respect. I think Quinn worries about Sage only in the sense that Quinn knows publicly defying Sage is a fight she'd lose since Sage is the President and Quinn isn't.

But that's not fear: Quinn probably assumes, with her usual arrogance, that she's too good at pulling the wool over Sage's eyes to ever be caught. And if Sage ever did cotton on, Quinn probably thinks she could outmaneuver Sage by getting the other HOTs to help depose her (and Quinn might actually be right about that).

All that said, Quinn doesn't look particularly uncomfortable in the preview IMHO. So I'd say this is just her helping Sage tease the MC on a lark, and is taken from the non-Quinn-path version of the scene. I doubt it will end in a threesome.

We'll find out... soon (TM).

DPC made episode 1 in 0 days. What a legend.
More proof that he's become a shameless milker! :p

I'd love to know exactly what that entailed. Seems out of character for Quinn to do something like that. I remember being surprised when Sage said that. Unless it was Quinn ripping on MC...but the way Sage said it makes me think she was gushing about him. Quinn probably caught herself midway and quickly closed up again. She can't have her sisters seeing her get all mushy about a boy.
My take was precisely that Quinn was ripping on the MC. Sage thought it was notable not because Quinn approved of the MC, but because Quinn wouldn't shut up about the MC.
Sage_Quinn_likes_MC_0.jpg Sage_Quinn_likes_MC_1.jpg Sage_Quinn_likes_MC_2.jpg

It may sound great to get the game early, but I would hate to be a beta tester. You can't really enjoy the game. You actually have to concentrate on finding bugs and adhering to DPC's checklist. No thanks. I'm glad they do it, but I'm also glad it isn't me.
You and me both!

Last edited:

Kellermann

Engaged Member
Oct 20, 2020
Your post and pic reminded me of a theory I have.

In the picture is Lily.
I think that one of Lilys main reasons for starting to hook up with the MC is to fuck with Quinn.
Especially the part in the HOT party where she asks (After getting the footlong) if the MC rolls with someone.
That Lily doesn't love Quinn is clear and if she can get some of the MC AND fuck with Quinn she'd go for it I think.

I think this can lead to serious drama. Quinn isn't a girl that opens up and lowers her defenses easily, just as you say in your post. She has started to do so with the MC. If she gets hurt because of Lily and the MC I think things can get really ugly.
Because I think that Lily will rub it in Quinns face and then pretend to be innocent "We just hooked up nothing serious" etc, etc.
And then the MC will be the one holding the ball and be on the receiving end of Quinns hurt feelings.
Something that could lead to serious drama for both the MC as well as Quinn herself.
You made me love Lily even more than I already do. (y)
I was dejected when it appeared that Lily was becoming more friendly than adversarial with Quinn last episode. But if you're right and Lily just wants to worm her way in so she can mess with Quinn's mind while scoring some weed, then :sneaky:

Meanwhile, I'll just sit back and enjoy the schadenfreude. I suspect there will be a lot of that in the coming episodes with Quinn's drug empire. I just hope we can save Riona from the destruction. Also, DPC please don't nix the fights. It's a mini game feature that I actually like. I really want to have a rematch with Caleb and a fight with whoever is stalking Riona, if it's a dude. Oh and a fight with the traitor (Nick, we all know you're guilty, twat).

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: shazba
4.80 star(s) 1,538 Votes