Geralt From Rivia

Forum Fanatic
Jun 15, 2022
So after 2 calendar years we get a good scene with the lovely Sage. Up until now, you could easily miss the Quinn/Sage thing on the Sage path leaving you with nothing for Ep8. With Ep9 on the Sage path, you only got prison sex. No other options.
I don't know how you played the game and missed the incredible scene with Sage at the end of Ep.9...
And now it's not scene prewiew, just a special render

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
It's true that the Maya/Josy story arch branches deeper into the story than probably any other plot in the game so far, but we were talking about curveballs.

As far as I know nobody saw it coming and just like Jade may have "ruined" many peoples savefiles for Sage, the scene when Josy suddenly stands in the door probably "ruined" it for all those who were just interessted in one of the two girls.

Now we have hindsight, we know how important the Josy/Maya relationship is to the story, but back then ? I mean it was the definition of a curveball and when it happend I was still sure that we could pick either one of them and not that it would end up being both or none.

It's entirely possible that DPC underestimated the reactions or flat out never saw them coming. I often wonder if he adapts on the fly when he notices that the players interpret things differently than he intended or if he just sticks to his script no matter what.

If I understand you right, than maybe curveball was just the wrong word. I think what you really ment is that his cliffhangers and teasers usually dont provide the same satisfaction as they hint at and sometimes even none at all(chad), which I, at least in part, blame on the long development time, but also agree with. Players have a looooong time to come up with what could happen and then it grows from there as other people add to it, creating a whole nother level of expectations.
The term curveball was probably not the correct one. I was referring to events, arising and not from our choices, that distort the current situation, usually for the worse.

And that is why I find it hard to regard the revelation of Maya and Josy as such. Josy at the time was almost lost and with Maya the relationship was in its infancy. It's certainly not what many wanted, but it's not a real deterioration. If you are only interested in one of the 2 you will have to put up with the other for a while, but there are worse problems.

Different would be the impact of Bella's husband returning for example, Derek being expelled for cheating on the test. Those would be destabilising events.

Tybalt's blackmail, if credible, could have been, but it was treated as tomfoolery from the start

Reactions: sava75 and TimHawk

Griffihn

Aug 20, 2022
Can someone idiot-proof explain how I can download seasons 1-2 game save file, so as to enable 'importing' a previous save so I can play this damn game?
wait, you want an idiot-proof person to explain stuff to you or do you want an idiot-proof explanation? if it's the first, good luck! it's in human nature to be an idiot at least once... if it's the second, that's easy. just go to your system drive(it's usually the C drive for windows), Users\*your pc name*\AppData\Roaming\RenPy\BeingaDIK and paste your save file there.

Reactions: sava75

TimHawk

Dec 12, 2017
The term curveball was probably not the correct one. I was referring to events, arising and not from our choices, that distort the current situation, usually for the worse.

And that is why I find it hard to regard the revelation of Maya and Josy as such. Josy at the time was almost lost and with Maya the relationship was in its infancy. It's certainly not what many wanted, but it's not a real deterioration. If you are only interested in one of the 2 you will have to put up with the other for a while, but there are worse problems.

Different would be the impact of Bella's husband returning for example, Derek being expelled for cheating on the test. Those would be destabilising events.

Tybalt's blackmail, if credible, could have been, but it was treated as tomfoolery from the start
Well there are worse problems if either Maya or Jose wasn't your first pick :D

I said fuck it and sailed over to the loving bossom of Sage after that both or none decision.

As for events that truely upset the balance independent of choice, well in my case the forced choice at the end of Episode 8 really annoyed me :D It was a Season too early in my opinion and if Episode 9 is any indication we will pay dearly for it, and we already have.

But storywise you are right, we didn't have a plot twist yet that made the MC's world turn upside down, well...maybe the Zoey return fills that void to a certain degree, but it's not clear yet.

I wonder if we ever get one of those that effects the MC across all paths, I mean what would even qualify ? Derek being expelled certainly would, but beyond that ? Maybe some shenanigans related to his mom or dad, or the death of someone that's really important to the MC. The biggest cloud we have had so far is obviously Vinnie, but that just started and we have no idea how quickly DPC will develop it and how deep it'll run.

Reactions: felicemastronzo

Orgitas

Jan 5, 2023
Well there are worse problems if either Maya or Jose wasn't your first pick :D

I said fuck it and sailed over to the loving bossom of Sage after that both or none decision.

As for events that truely upset the balance independent of choice, well in my case the forced choice at the end of Episode 8 really annoyed me :D It was a Season too early in my opinion and if Episode 9 is any indication we will pay dearly for it, and we already have.

But storywise you are right, we didn't have a plot twist yet that made the MC's world turn upside down, well...maybe the Zoey return fills that void to a certain degree, but it's not clear yet.

I wonder if we ever get one of those that effects the MC across all paths, I mean what would even qualify ? Derek being expelled certainly would, but beyond that ? Maybe some shenanigans related to his mom or dad, or the death of someone that's really important to the MC. The biggest cloud we have had so far is obviously Vinnie, but that just started and we have no idea how quickly DPC will develop it and how deep it'll run.
I think there is a big ol' plot twist coming when the MC finally puts two and two together and notices the house in Jill's picture is the same as the house in his mother's picture. I think most people might have been like "Wait a minute"from the get go... But stories often have to make the characters idiots for the sake of the narrative at times.

Reactions: TimHawk

TimHawk

Dec 12, 2017
I think there is a big ol' plot twist coming when the MC finally puts two and two together and notices the house in Jill's picture is the same as the house in his mother's picture. I think most people might have been like "Wait a minute"from the get go... But stories often have to make the characters idiots for the sake of the narrative at times.
Well we better get something out of that tease and not some "They went for a walk and just climbed over the fence to cuddle some horses" bullshit. I think DPC will milk the MC's mom story arch to kingdom come, as in all the way through Season 3 and deep into Season 4.

And yes, it's infuriating that the MC can't see the resemblance between Bianca and the girl in the picture, they might aswell be clones ! So "Idiot" is putting it mildly :D

ChipLecsap

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 4, 2019
I disagree, if anything it's actually happened later than probably originally was planned

TimHawk

Dec 12, 2017
I disagree, if anything it's actually happened later than probably originally was planned
I have no idea what was originally planned or if DPC deviated from his original plan, but for me Episode 9, while not being bad, was the worst episode so far. If you prefered Episode 9 over 1-8 than fair game, can't argue about taste.

4.80 star(s) 1,538 Votes