CalicoBROOJ

Oct 6, 2021
I don't get why people are freaking out over him upgrading to 60 fps animations or why it's considered a bad thing.
For me, and a lot of other people, 60 FPS animations in Renpy are very laggy. Renpy sucks when handling them and use a lot of extra CPU. So this means that I probably won't be able to play them if I dont transcode the videos to like VP8 and 30 fps. Or using a custom lib like the one gojira667 made for Ripples that I've succesullfy used for some other games.

Last edited:

KaiserST

Apr 5, 2017
I think we should have staged it when he told us he had like 9 PCs with 4090s in them! Madness!
Please, the intervention should be about that DPC needs more PCs!

I want to take this oppurtunity to share some numbers with everyone.

Episode 7 Frames per Day
During the Episode 7 development DPC shared animations frames developed. 85 days into development he stated 25620 were rendered.

Now that's 301 animation frames rendered per day without full resource allocation

Episode 9 Frames per Day
Now lets compare that to Episode 10 when he took his vacation and allocated all resources to animation rendering. He produced 311 animation frames per day. Now obviously the animations are higher quality in Episode 10.

Comparing to Episode 7
From a numbers point of view with the 4090s upgrade he can only barely beat episode 7s animation frames per day speeds.
That is if he is reporting the correct numbers in his status updates. The other important note is The episode 7 animation frames per day aren't even with full 100% resource allocation to animations while episode 10 was.

Comparing to Episode 9
Between the 5th of November 2022 and the 25th of November 2022 DPC reported animations numbers without developing static renders. So we have a three week period of Animations without split resources. Three weeks also provides a large-ish sample group so we can assume the average duration is close to the overall episode 9 average.
From this we know DPC produced 27 animations in a three week period. This results in DPC producing 00:08 seconds of animation per day or 240 frames.
We know Episode 10 during his vacation produced 10.36 seconds of animation per day or 311 frames. A 23% Increase in efficiency, this is pityful when you take into consideration he now has 4090s...
Of course those 27 animations could have wildly differed from the average animation duration but because he never reports duration but count we cannot know for sure.

Conclusion
The numbers he uses to report animations are difficult to record as he very rarely will report frames or length but prefers to use count which he has further preverted with splicing animations together. His decision doesn't make sense from a number point of view unless he has omitted numbers from his status updates. Given he cannot even reach episode 7 frames per day speeds...

But overall,
View attachment 2948810
I feel ya Bro.

His animation productivity dropped so much.

I don't get why people are freaking out over him upgrading to 60 fps animations or why it's considered a bad thing.
Because animations were always a bottleneck because they took too long to render. And now, he decided to increase his workload even more by making some animations take twice as long to render for no tangible good.

funkymonkeyjedi

Jan 16, 2023
I approve of the visual improvements, but this kind of ridiculous perfectionism does more harm than good.
Couldn't agree with you more. That's why a while back when he made that decision, my only comment was "for this 1 time only, I'd love to know DPC personally just so I could reach over to him and smack him across the head a few times asking "DAFUK are you smoking you dipshit!?""

But if I recall many didn't like my comment about that at that time. Earned a few "face palms" for it if I'm not mistaken. Now it seems the sentiment is close to being a mainstream sentiment. Except for those without a clue what it actually means to bump animations up to 60fps just for a fucking VN.

Now I just want to reach over to him and smack him across the head that much more. But this time I'll be using my dick.
:cautious:

Geralt From Rivia

Forum Fanatic
Jun 15, 2022
Couldn't agree with you more. That's why a while back when he made that decision, my only comment was "for this 1 time only, I'd love to know DPC personally just so I could reach over to him and smack him across the head a few times asking "DAFUK are you smoking you dipshit!?""

But if I recall many didn't like my comment about that at that time. Earned a few "face palms" for it if I'm not mistaken. Now it seems the sentiment is close to being a mainstream sentiment. Except for those without a clue what it actually means to bump animations up to 60fps just for a fucking VN.

Now I just want to reach over to him and smack him across the head that much more. But this time I'll be using my dick.
:cautious:
I'm a very soft critic of him, so if DPC managed to piss me off, it means he did some real shit. He needs to be smacked with a double drop on Patreon to bring him back to reality.

Bryan_Colt

Jul 19, 2017
I hope those animations will get him the money back and more because if it does not well tough luck for us i guess.

funkymonkeyjedi

Jan 16, 2023
I'm a very soft critic of him, so if DPC managed to piss me off, it means he did some real shit. He needs to be smacked with a double drop on Patreon to bring him back to reality.
I think the only way he'll understand how dumb that is would be if somehow he ended up on an old 12 yr old laptop unable to even launch the opening scene of his own game. Then made to understand that over 60% of users are stuck with such equipment whether for lapptops or PCs.

Thankfully that isn't my problem, but I am very much aware that not many can invest as much as I have on a system. Most people are stuck on "hand me downs" or second hand rigs or a Dell.

oarclownfish

Oct 1, 2019
not stopping until season 4 is an open world university sim running at 120 fps, the man has a mission and none of us plebs can understand it :KEK:

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: mpa71

Geralt From Rivia

Forum Fanatic
Jun 15, 2022
I think the only way he'll understand how dumb that is would be if somehow he ended up on an old 12 yr old laptop unable to even launch the opening scene of his own game. Then made to understand that over 60% of users are stuck with such equipment whether for lapptops or PCs.

Thankfully that isn't my problem, but I am very much aware that not many can invest as much as I have on a system. Most people are stuck on "hand me downs" or second hand rigs or a Dell.
Same for me, game uses 35% CPU during animations now and 1Gb VRAM, so I'm safe.

Crusader of Romance

Dec 14, 2019
For me, and a lot of other people, 60 FPS animations in Renpy are very laggy. Renpy sucks when handling them and use a lot of extra CPU. So this means that I probably won't be able to play them if I dont transcode the videos to like VP8 and 30 fps. Or using a custom lib like the one gojira667 made for Ripples that I've succesullfy used for some other games.
This sounds a lot more reasonable than the "we don't care about quality, we just want it fast and cheap" reason some other stated. I can understand people with older PCs being worried or that it won't look good.

ProxyGist

May 8, 2023
With my PC upgrades, I will have more than doubled my render power meaning that there is capacity for this improvement going forward. But I don't want to overpromise something, as I'm still investigating how I can optimize this process and make it viable long-term.

For starters, roughly half of the animations you'll see in episode 10 will be in 60 fps. I hope it excites you and that you'll enjoy seeing more clear movements and jiggly things jiggle more fluidly.

Have a nice weekend
I guess he was unhappy that the animations in his game are generally pretty slow and the main character moves like a snail. 60fps should make the sex scenes more dynamic. For example, the protagonist will fuck the girl more quickly without any jagged transitions. It will be interesting to watch, but I don't think it will affect the game in any key way.
Apparently the speed of rendering animations so convinced him that he decided to increase the frame rate.

Bryan_Colt

Jul 19, 2017
If only we would have a martial arts contest in this next update so i can beat up more jocks, that would make my day this year.

crabsinthekitchen

Apr 28, 2020
DPC right now

Kpyna

Dec 16, 2022
Just.... :KEK: :HideThePain: HOLY FUCK, DPC :ROFLMAO:
Now we know why we haven't got the release in July/August
Hope he will hear for feedback and just use software for interpolation, instead of using SLOW AF DAZ3D to render all those extra frames.

Anyway... don't forget that half of development cycle was done with 3090 rigs. So, EP11 and further are starting with 4090 rigs. But if he will decide to make true 60 fps animations by rendering in DAZ all those extra frames, then the dev cycle won't shorten and will still hang around 9-10 months.

I hope that reason will prevail and he will make the right choice.

Someone has to show him the difference, a video interpolated from 30 to 60 fps and a video originally made in 60 fps. If he doesn't see the difference or it will be minimal and obviously not worth months of additional development, then I think he will choose interpolation.

Damn it... I repeat it again, the poor video codec and the format it uses terribly spoils all these animations and their quality! It just useless to compress and pack all this work in VP8, lol.

Ray_D

Engaged Member
Nov 13, 2022
If only we would have a martial arts contest in this next update so i can beat up more jocks, that would make my day this year.
i'm willing to use the greed pot to get two cards out of my waifus deck. I'm willing to sacrifice Maya and her stupid debt problems for a tournament or a fight against the alphas.

803fg7.jpg

Reactions: funkymonkeyjedi
4.80 star(s) 1,538 Votes