R1viel

Nov 25, 2017
And the way to be sure of that is putting herself in that weird and potentially damaging situation? For a guy she just met 3 weeks ago? Oh, my. Cuckoo.
I think the fact that all this is happening over the space of less than a month is the other thing that makes a lot of the drama seem over the top. like Jill's reaction "of oh if i just stop seeing this person I kinda like but barely know he won't get charges pressed against him" actually seem kind of reasonable.

in the same way that sage didn't want to break things off with chad for you, a person who she barely knows seemed fairly reasonable.

when you add the context of time the reactions to the senarios seems fairly grounded even if those senarios are absurd

Reactions: Garrett Hawke

moskyx

Forum Fanatic
Jun 17, 2019
I highly doubt that after the scene with her father in ep 5.

So far he was clearly trust worthy, he even mentioned he's dating others to her. Was there a point why she should doubt him, or why she should trust Tybalt, which blackmails her ?
I think this is just some silly drama because Jill has none so far and we can not have a LI without major drama...or so DPC thinks.
The point is that neither him nor Tommy's mother know about her relationship, so we can't actually know how will they react. And knowing DPC all options are open. I'm sure Maya's dad was also a caring (yet protective) one until he discovered the truth

DavDR

Oct 14, 2020
accusation for starting the fire maybe, but trespassing and vandalism still count, worst case mc will be expelled, hes not Chad to be given another chance, hes a freshman, a no name. of course this not will be a court battle, it wil be boring.

agree on how Jill react, just giving in right there and then.
I think you are all getting way to far ahead of yourselves here. Tybalt hasn't really tried to push his advantage in any way that would cross Jill's boundaries, and when he does I expect that the whole thing is gonna blow up in his face. As to any legal problems for the MC, unless you chose to punch Tybalt, with several witnesses present, there is nothing that comes even close to a legal situation for the MC. As far as the school authorities, unless you showed that video of MC and Jade to the DIK's (and only a real asshole would do that) I don't think there's any problems on that road either.

Reactions: twiztid
Jul 20, 2020
Neither did I, but my point has been that it's all too much too soon. If you think about this like a TV show, each episode can move the drama forward incrementally, but it's not until we get to near the end of the season that it all starts to come to a head. This episode felt like it was the 3rd or even 2nd to last episode of a TV show's season, but we're potentially not even halfway done with this game yet, so they're amping this drama up way too soon and in ways that are too heavy-handed.
I have to say, as a Maya fan (see icon/sig) and a fan of the throuple of Josy/Maya/MC, if he pulls an "AL" level twist on those three, I think I'd be done with his products. There's no reason to go with a nuclear level twist in every drama game/story, specially one that's supposedly based on 80's/90's college comedies etc. There's nothing wrong with just having happy endings for all involved who chose the right options. But to take away player agency and just destroy relationship to be "edgy" will just end up tanking his following.

I like the writing in both his projects so far, the characters are all well rounded and spoken, but falling back on a previously used (and controversial) twist/mechanic would only hurt him in the long run from a business standpoint.

Riggnarock

Jun 17, 2020
A strange and worrysome thought just entered my mind...
our mom died giving us birth, her father was rich. and Jill said she lost her sister at young age.. is she our aunt?
Even if my math is off, i mean we are only 3-5 years younger then her. but i never heard her say that her sister was younger, and 5 years is old enough to remember her even after all those years :p.

Well, okey maybe its a warning kind of thought, like Dr PinkCake trying to twist things so much up in da next pack of updates that we still wont get to end up with Jill, and think about the drama that comes with it :D

Okey maybe im letting my head getting the better of myself, but well if it turns out that way... :p

Anthony11553

Feb 9, 2020
I have to say, as a Maya fan (see icon/sig) and a fan of the throuple of Josy/Maya/MC, if he pulls an "AL" level twist on those three, I think I'd be done with his products. There's no reason to go with a nuclear level twist in every drama game/story, specially one that's supposedly based on 80's/90's college comedies etc. There's nothing wrong with just having happy endings for all involved who chose the right options. But to take away player agency and just destroy relationship to be "edgy" will just end up tanking his following.

I like the writing in both his projects so far, the characters are all well rounded and spoken, but falling back on a previously used (and controversial) twist/mechanic would only hurt him in the long run from a business standpoint.
Acting Lessons kinda made sense with it but this is college for christ sake

Hrllav

Jan 22, 2019
I finished 6 ep in my other save and I have a feeling that Rusty or Tommy will disappoint or betray us, because of those tapes with Jade or even Quinn. Anyone else with that feeling?

PS: I thought it was super cool that Jacob was an artist and "Jam Jam" being super submissive hahaha
i agree with jam jam and jacob one i think dpc should expand on that it adds character to those ..... characters
(i suck at english yes)

• Red Heart
Reactions: RCDL

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
Just finished the update and don't really know where to begin, but one thing is for sure; I'm pissed off! I started off with the usual anxiety of not knowing where this was going, but at the end, I'm just really pissed off with this episode.

I think one of the reasons is that I've gotten used to games where there aren't so many consequences and it's a nice bit of escapism from the harsh realities of life, and this game was that for the first 3, even 5 episodes to an extent, but now it's just delivering gut punch, after gut punch, after gut punch that I'm starting to think DPC might be something of a masochist.

I've been here a lot and I know people have, by and large, been giving DPC the benefit of the doubt by saying "it won't be as dark as AL" and that "he won't do what he did before", well he's doing it in terms of the emotional stuff and, in what is just my humble opinion as an avid fan and player, it feels like the game is gradually getting worse with all of this dark drama and the gut-wrenching relationship melodrama.

Without going into too much detail and in no particular order, these are all the things that pissed me off about this episode based on my main runthrough:

1) The Sims-like "rebuild the mansion" management system
2) The DnG game
3) The whole nothing burger that was the MC's Mom's letter
4) Not getting to resolve things with Jade as to why the MC didn't show up for their rendezvous
5) Not being able to talk to Cathy and Jade at the bar
6) Having to choose between Jill and Sage
7) Essentially getting "cockblocked" from Nicole for going on the date with Jill
8) Tybalt's slimy blackmail
9) Automatically turning down Lily's request
10) Mona geting expelled
11) Cathy resigning
12) Maya's Dad showing up and literally everything to do with what he's doing to her.

I'm honestly so fearful of what's to happen now, particularly with Maya, because this is the darkest part of the game so far with so much depressing and worrisome shit being thrown at us all at once that I'm starting to think DPC enjoys this and that all of us hoping for this to be a generally light-hearted game couldn't have been more wrong.

I'll probably come back to this game in a couple of weeks once the walkthrough is released and see exactly what the deal is with the different choices, but I think I might also need to take some time to decompress after this episode because aside from pissing me off, I'm not liking the direction this is going in and I'm not sure if I can do this for 6 or more episodes if it keeps going in this direction.
That's more or less how I felt after playing Acting Lessons; DPC has a genuine gift for creating compelling characters - ones with the potential to truly move us as players - but he is irresponsible with the power that gives him. Leveraging that sort of emotional investment is certainly a classic trope, but it requires a delicate touch. Don Bluth pretty much made his career by stopping just short of scarring my childhood for life!

I'm not sure DPC knows when to stop. As I said before, I'm confident we can have happy endings with a LI of our choice, but I'm not sure what each of those endings will do to the other characters. It's my real fear about this game.

That said, I think I enjoyed this episode a lot more than you because I was already worried about all that and thus I could focus on the small things it does well with the various characters.. That, and I'm a lot more accepting of the fact that we WILL have to turn down some of the girls. To me, the concern isn't that we will be cut off from, say, Jill if we choose M&J, it's how cruel that rejection will be to Jill and what our relationship with Jill will be like after.

On that front, I think there are some mild positive signs in this episode. Calling Sage is mandatory for MC who are her fuck buddy, but was not mandatory for MCs who were just friends with her. That means my Jill-centric run through didn't have to turn down the second date to tend to Sage because he never knew she needed someone to tend to her. Similarly, that same MC could turn down Bella's offer to help clean up his room and thus avoid a lewd scene with her; I would have preferred to be able to accept her help and just let her go home for the evening, but I'll take what I can get.

Similarly, my main M&J run never had the second date with Jill, apparently because she picked up on the fact he just wasn't that into her. So for all the talk about how awkward it was seeing Jill and Josy at the library, there really wasn't much problem.

That said, I don't like how Jill handled the blackmail thing at all. The idea is valid, but the execution was lazy. It forced Jill into the stereotypical, naive debutante role she had so successfully avoided until now. I harbor serious concerns about how all of this will eventually unfold, and I'm hoping this was just a minor slip-up that will be corrected in Episode 7. So I don't want to complain overmuch about a character derailment that hasn't actually happened yet.

Anyway, my point is that all of this suggests to me there is at least some hope that unchosen girls might make it through the story in decent shape. That's a net win in my book, though obviously a trivially small one and we should all take to heart Josy's advice to take things slow emotionally.

thjnh1591

Jul 17, 2018

Someone has to die in this game. Am I right :ROFLMAO:?

shazba

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020

My wife was done with GOT when Sean Bean died. Just think of all the other gut wrenching end of season twists she missed out on because of that attitude!

Remember Jill warned at the beginning that this game would make you angry and sad. We're not going to get out unscathed. I like it, it makes the games more memorable when it leaves you contemplating suicide for a week or two afterwards...

dosenspezi

May 2, 2017
Funny that everyone who knows AL is eagerly awaiting some shocking value behind the next door...

just to be indignant about it!!! :mad:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: R1viel
4.80 star(s) 1,538 Votes